Author Topic: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)  (Read 430889 times)

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
Re: Touhou 14 - 東方輝針城 ~ Double Dealing Character (Demo)
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2013, 11:52:21 PM »
That was my feeling, too. Like, "wow, this is fun!" during the challenging bits, instead of "wow this is %#$@&!!!!!", as was the case in UFO.
...Eh. There's unfortunately one offender at the moment and it's the stage 3 midspell, plus stage 2's fight as a whole if you get bad RNG and you happen to slip. Doesn't change the fact that this is by far the best stage 1 boss in the series, or that 5/6 of stage 3's boss is amazing pure dodging patterns.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2013, 11:53:34 PM »
*Checks Wiki*

*Sees Cirno manages to be Stage 1 Midboss again*

Keep goin' Cirno.

Although apparently she's lost two wings.

Sakuya's portait is cool.

Stage 3 is in the Bamboo Forest? Wonder if that means Stage 4 may see Reisen. I've not played or seen about the plot yet. [Nor do I plan to until release]

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2013, 11:54:34 PM »
No way it's Reisen. Plus 100% guaranteed the entire cast is composed of freaks folklore. :V

Kingault

• Insert witty description here.
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2013, 11:54:38 PM »
Yukari: I am the representative of Gensokyo's reality. If I say rokurokubi can detach their heads, then rokurokubi can detach their heads!

Although ZUN says in the music comments that he's actually unsure if they can or not, I believe.  Too bad, cause personally I find the Hearn thing much funnier.

There's a youkai species in the same class as the rokurokubi that CAN detach their heads, actually.
Funny how this youkai is a cross between the rokurokubi and the dullahan, even though a similar thing already exists in Japanese mythology.

Eh, oh well. More Western Youkai.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2013, 11:55:38 PM »
No way it's Reisen. Plus 100% guaranteed the entire cast is composed of freaks folklore. :V

Even as a midboss? Cirno manages to be Stage 1 MB, and they *are* in the Bamboo Forest.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2013, 11:57:11 PM »
As a serious reply, I'd be surprised to see a recurring character so late into the game. Kogasa in TD Stage 3 is ALMOST a counterexample, but, well, stage 3, demo etcetera.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2013, 11:58:25 PM »
Watch as Cirno returns as Extra midboss.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2013, 12:10:25 AM »
Although ZUN says in the music comments that he's actually unsure if they can or not, I believe.  Too bad, cause personally I find the Hearn thing much funnier.

Hah, well fair enough. That's kind of funny too in its own way.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2013, 12:16:03 AM »
I like how the plot this time is focused on youkai. By the way... since we got even a Rokurokubi this time (And I thought ZUN would not be able to make such an ugly youkai look cute, but he did!) Then I suppose it'd be cool to see a Baku as well. Manipulation of dreams/etc... it'd be some fun stuff.

I also predict the last boss will be a really powerful Youkai, such as a Nurarihyon. But only time will tell.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2013, 12:17:08 AM »
There's a youkai species in the same class as the rokurokubi that CAN detach their heads, actually.

Yea, and Lafcadio Hearn mixes it up with the rokurokubi. That's where the Hearn joke comes from.

Maribel: And there was a rokurokubi in my dream, and it detached its head which went flying after me!

Renko: Er... Merry, Rokurokubis don't do that. That's a nukekubi.

Maribel: I know what a rokurokubi is, Renko -_-

(one thousand years later or in Merry's next dream or whatever the hell you think her relation to Yukari is...)

Sekibanki: I'm officially a rokurokubi? Are you sure I'm not a nu...

Yukari: You are a rokurokubi and that's final!

Kingault

• Insert witty description here.
« Reply #100 on: May 27, 2013, 12:23:04 AM »
Yea, and Lafcadio Hearn mixes it up with the rokurokubi. That's where the Hearn joke comes from.

Well it was in a tale he collected, but he could have noticed it.

Eh.
I'm just nitpicking, now.

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2013, 12:41:33 AM »
Words cannot describe how much I want functional spell practice right now.

« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2013, 12:52:09 AM »

Maribel: And there was a rokurokubi in my dream, and it detached its head which went flying after me!

Renko: Er... Merry, Rokurokubis don't do that. That's a nukekubi.

Maribel: I know what a rokurokubi is, Renko -_-

(one thousand years later or in Merry's next dream or whatever the hell you think her relation to Yukari is...)

Sekibanki: I'm officially a rokurokubi? Are you sure I'm not a nu...

Yukari: You are a rokurokubi and that's final!

Okay, this line of jokes is making my night!

Drake

« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2013, 01:12:08 AM »
Given what we already know, I could easily see the whole thing being an in-joke where ZUN is researching the youkai with the rokurokubi in mind, gets corrected by someone and then becomes confused with the whole Hearn thing, and decides to run with it. Maybe the confusion over whether or not the rokurokubi is supposed to separate their head is what made its way into Gensokyo~

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Formless God

« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2013, 01:41:08 AM »
Dammit, the werewolf is slapping my shit so hard I don't even. She's harder than Orin. I couldn't do ANY of the spells, and the non-spells wall me after one or two waves.

Drake

« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2013, 01:45:44 AM »
compare times you've fought orin versus times you've fought kagerou

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2013, 01:58:29 AM »
Don't worry, I'm sure ZUN will tone her down for the final version.

And by tone down I mean once you realize she isn't going to get easier in the full version you'll put your mind to it and realize you had the power within all along.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2013, 02:01:12 AM »
I like how the plot this time is focused on youkai. By the way... since we got even a Rokurokubi this time (And I thought ZUN would not be able to make such an ugly youkai look cute, but he did!) Then I suppose it'd be cool to see a Baku as well. Manipulation of dreams/etc... it'd be some fun stuff.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend about something like this a long time ago concerning baku and ungaikyo (This was quite a while before DDC was even known). It involved an old legend that dreams could possibly be a way of conveying the true self while nightmares are a persons fears and malice and that these fears can corrupt a person to commit evil. Though I'd think a baku could serve it's own plot based on Mizuki Shigeru?s Mujara.

Was talking about DDC with a friend and I can only hope that one of the bosses is an ungaikyo just from seeing the mirror on the title screen. Mirrors are said to reveal someone's true self or their deepest desires (what it reveals or does depends on the legend and the origin of the legend), so I would hope that it's an ungaikyo (based on bloody Mary or some other western myth about mirrors?) that is stirring up a person's deep and dark parts of their souls. Though that's just me being a hopeless dreamer. :3

Though I would probably think that an amanojaku, like someone said, would be a plausible choice (hoping for this too since Nurarihyon was my favorite manga)  and all these other theories sound logical. I'm hoping that they are right so we can all bask in that person's moment of glory :P

On a different note. I love EVERYTHING about this game! The PoC gimmick, the music, the characters, and the shot types! Though I do think the game is WAY too easy, even on hard and lunatic. Still, this'll probably end up as my favorite game with Kagerou (found her to be pretty easy except when using Reimu A) topping my list of favorite characters next to Okuu.~
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 02:08:10 AM by Genso »

Nyyl

• 弾幕に頭脳?馬鹿じゃないのか?
  • 弾幕はパワーだよ
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2013, 02:03:17 AM »
... Maybe the confusion over whether or not the rokurokubi is supposed to separate their head is what made its way into Gensokyo~
I'd believe it. I don't supposed it's too far-fetched to assume that the trail of "bullets" in this spell card of hers is meant to resemble a stretching neck. Maybe she's just a vague, confused hybrid :B

Formless God

« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2013, 02:05:55 AM »
compare times you've fought orin versus times you've fought kagerou
5 vs 40. Still, I don't think my first 5 runs against Orin went as badly :ohdear:

chum

« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2013, 02:41:46 AM »
I recorded a demonstration video to show how dumb the game is right now. Hopefully ZUN will apply the necessary changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buAxFMJ4dZc

« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2013, 02:59:06 AM »
Finally the wait is over... and got to try on this demo... what I feel of this one so far...

I love the improved graphics and effects of this series... it's quite eye-catching to me... though I may not have the luxury to enjoy it if I'm playing at a higher difficulty...

Difficulty of the game... the real kick comes in at Lunatic Stage 3... the boss is really tough for me as she's quite fast with her spell attacks... but overall it's managable so far... and if it follows this way... Stage 4 and above will definitely prove to be quite a challenge...

Soundtracks... quite different from previous series... and I kinda like it too... especially Stage 3 boss theme... it's kind of cool and mischievous at the same time...

Reimu as usual is easy to use and her corrupted bomb is... my first reaction to that = O_O ... Sakuya corrupted seems to be a bit more powerful than others when it goes up against single target... am able to clear certain boss spells quite fast going head-on... and finally Marisa corrupted bomb... well... a bit OP...?

A bit surprised to see Cirno come back as a Stage 1 mid-boss... well probably her appearance has been long overdued... Stage 1 boss looks normal to me... and Stage 2... O_O ... detached head attacks...!!! Stage 3 boss... Werewolf... *shriek ...

Looking forward to the full version...!

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 03:04:45 AM by Gradius »

« Reply #112 on: May 27, 2013, 03:47:17 AM »
I'm surprised that this time there's almost no subtle hint of how the plot will move forward.  We just know that the three stage bosses were somewhat calm youkai who turned violent, and although they all seemed to act as if they were doing that on their own will, it was too unnatural to be a coincidence.

Mmm... I can't even think of a proper place stage 4 would take place at, or what a big baddie would be doing to turn peaceful youkai aggressive.  I had an idea it would be because they all saw their reflections on the water and that somehow did that to them.  But Kagerou wouldn't apply to this since she's in the bamboo forest.

Any theories anyone?

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #113 on: May 27, 2013, 03:50:07 AM »
I really wish I would buy this demo, but I cannot buy anything online. I wish I would download it, but I don't want to enforce piracy. unless there is a official download to it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 04:00:29 AM by ToyoRai »

Dark Kitsune

• Code Fox
« Reply #114 on: May 27, 2013, 03:53:33 AM »
I've found that when using Sakuya (Corrupt), if you switch between focused and unfocused every second or two, it seems to do more damage. Kind of an interesting gimmick, not sure if it's intentional.

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2013, 05:05:49 AM »
Spoiler:
"I'm pretty good at impersonating monsters! 'When thar's a full moon, me turns into a wolf, raaawwr!'"
I'm starting to think Sakuya might be a little... special. >_>

This has been pretty awesome all around so far. The new characters are loads of fun. The simplified mechanics are very welcomed after having to chase after UFOs and spirits for extra lives and bombs - though I'm still a bit unclear on a few things. To boot, this may be the Touhou game with the best shot types and effects yet ("Flamethrower". All debates on this subject have been permanently settled.) The music didn't quite strike me as very outstanding at first but after a few runs through the game it has really started to grow on me. Really, if I had anything to complain about so far it's that it can feel a bit on the easy side at times... Kagerou excluded. This was worth the wait.

Speaking of which, isn't Kagerou the first Touhou character with an official "voice"? Granted she doesn't technically talk but, still... :D

Latest works
The Strongest

Mayson

• The future... A new age!
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2013, 05:09:41 AM »
I've found that when using Sakuya (Corrupt), if you switch between focused and unfocused every second or two, it seems to do more damage. Kind of an interesting gimmick, not sure if it's intentional.
That reminds me Imperishable Night, in which you could do the same with Alice and Marisa to increase the damage output.

Dammit, the werewolf is slapping my shit so hard I don't even. She's harder than Orin. I couldn't do ANY of the spells, and the non-spells wall me after one or two waves.
To be honest, Orin was much harder. You just need to figure the spellcards of Kagerou out, her last spell involves quite some movement.

Also, I'd say Kagerou will be the extra stage midboss because of... (spoiler ahead)
Spoiler:
"Kagerou Imaizumi's theme.

I tried giving it a midboss-ish feeling.
 Ehh, although it's stage 3.

By the way, since this full moon is real, she can transform too." -Quote from Touhouwiki.net

Full moon? Transformation? That should give everyone who played IN an instant flashback to Keine.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2013, 05:16:15 AM »
@Mayson: So just because ZUN did this once, you think he'll do it again in this different game? Interesting.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2013, 05:27:55 AM »
I recorded a demonstration video to show how dumb the game is right now. Hopefully ZUN will apply the necessary changes.

I sincerely hope ZUN will fix these things for you in the full version.

EDIT: Also, Orin got a "voice" in SA, so this is actually the second time it's happened.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Zil

« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2013, 06:00:51 AM »

:(

Please ZUN. All you need is a penalty for bombing and 99% of your problems disappear.