Author Topic: 5th Touhou Nico Dousai - Touhou Popularity Contest - Results are in!  (Read 83900 times)

SatorKoi57

• Dark Blare of Fire!
  • "YOU WA BAN" Sucks :P
Re: 5th Touhou Nico Dousai - Touhou Popularity Contest - Results are in!
« Reply #180 on: July 13, 2013, 12:39:22 PM »
The "weak characters" they meant are Cirno and China

But China was in IAMP as well, and the wiki stated they wanted weak characters to face the "stronger" ones. Couldn't they just bring Meiling back and put a weaker character from the same game (EOSD)?

I did get the Sanae "replaced" Wriggle,Nitori,Mokou and Kaguya info from Touhou wiki (Touhou.wikia.com to be exact).

If someone can tell me how "put in instead" is different from "replaced", I will give you a internet, cookie or whatever.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 06:07:45 PM by SatorKoi57 »
Watch as I sneak up behind this forum!

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #181 on: July 13, 2013, 12:54:56 PM »
"replaced" would indicate that a character has substituted another that was already placed in the game or its previous installment or unpatched version or whatever.

"put in instead" means that the creators decided use one character rather than another one.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #182 on: July 13, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
I think you're just butthurt and need a time out to calm down.

No seriously.

SatorKoi57

• Dark Blare of Fire!
  • "YOU WA BAN" Sucks :P
« Reply #183 on: July 13, 2013, 01:01:42 PM »
"replaced" would indicate that a character has substituted another that was already placed in the game or its previous installment or unpatched version or whatever.

"put in instead" means that the creators decided use one character rather than another one.

So replaced would be stuff like Mewtwo in Melee getting replaced by Lucario in Brawl, right?

And another thing:
Is "Slutnae" a forced meme or something? From the ways you are responding to my Sanae posts, I would think yes.

And if I was butthurt I would be spamming stuff like "SHUT UP!" or "LEAVE ME ALONE!!@SDHSDOIDSA!!".

Something like this:
"That's it!!

I will not use SMvC Template!

But, I WILL USE CvS SPARKS AND I'LL LOCK THIS!!

GOOD-BYE, GENIUESES!"
or
"God, I hate it when those stupid users ruining my creations!"
both provided by this goofball:
http://mugenguild.com/forum/profile/area.summary;u=66781

We don't know this "Goofball" and practically your post has nothing to do with the topic. Mind stopping the nonsense please?  -Hele
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 02:31:19 AM by Helepolis »
Watch as I sneak up behind this forum!

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #184 on: July 13, 2013, 01:16:27 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the best place to discuss memes. The fact remains that Sanae made it to top 10. And I doubt she has slept with the judges of the poll to get there.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #185 on: July 13, 2013, 04:06:20 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the best place to discuss memes. The fact remains that Sanae made it to top 10. And I doubt she has slept with the judges of the poll to get there.
Nah she slept with all those guys that voted for her. Brilliant, I say.

« Reply #186 on: July 13, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »
Yea, I hope this isn't starting a power discussion (I'm going to be listing specifics), but it's kinda hard to imagine Kaguya and Mokou being disregarded due to lore strength when you consider the other characters in the game...

Critz

• Heartwarming ★ Miracle
« Reply #187 on: July 13, 2013, 07:04:27 PM »
 NeptuniAmra nailed it pretty well when I once had the same doubts:
Quote from: me
Aren't spell card battles specifically designed  to be non-lethal in canon anyway? If they wanted to, they could have implemented something like a spell card that regains some of the HP upon knockout for that last chance to win (something Kaguya already does in IN).
Resurrection is relevant because it's intrinsic to the characters at hand, as much as fantasy seal or master spark or gap manipulation is to their respective characters. Their moveset needs to feel like Mokou and Kaguya, and be a full mechanic much like Sanae's wind or Suwako's weird movement; we can't just put it in as a spellcard because Soku's mechanics mean that it's possible for them to not have it, and it just feels sloppy when compared to characters that have a full-representation, not just a token spellcard. Not to mention that such an easy 'I don't lose yet' button would be in stark contrast to all the other 'healing' options in Soku which have ridiculous recoveries, and if we're to give their resurrection cards such recovery then the whole point is moot; just punish again into a full-damage combo. It's needless extending of a round, not to mention a waste of meter. They could've given them much higher HP, but since they decided that everyone needs the same HP total then that options out.

Drake explains why I can't think of any way to implement Kisume or Parsee. Some characters are just too simplistic, some characters' powers don't translate well into a fighting game, etc. Which is why putting a character into a fighting game isn't as easy as it seems unless the characters were created with fighting games already in mind, which Touhou wasn't, and from a developer standpoint it's far simpler to just put in characters that don't require so much headache; ie recent characters and or well established ones with powers and or abilities that are simple to translate into fighting game mechanics. I don't think Mokou would be too simplistic though, as I can very easily see her moveset. It's just the whole 'hey I'm immortal' thing is a mind boggler. Give her a much lower health bar but multiple lives? And whenever she loses a life bar she disintegrates and reappears where she wishes? Who knows. It even applies to other games like DotS; Trance would agree with me that Kaguya and Mokou's state of balance have been dramatic, to say the least.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:06:31 PM by Critz »

« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2013, 08:30:04 PM »
Is "Slutnae" a forced meme or something? From the ways you are responding to my Sanae posts, I would think yes.

I would assume this is a meme, since people go with this. Do note, that like Sakuya wears pads, Meiling being a Dragon, etc., nothing in canon supports this.

And seriously, guys, what's with the "weaker character in Soku" crap? A character is only as good/as weak as the player controling her. If you suck, it's not Sanae's fault. Really.

This is mentioned in the interview. They were talking about wanting to add weaker characters to the fighting game cast. Presumably, that would be Cirno, Meiling, Sanae, Wriggle, and Nitori.

Here is the link. Here is what was said:
Hisoutensoku at the beginning 
Z>Wriggle and Nitori and ~ Kaguya and Mokou?let's stick to stage 1 and 2s, so they got scrapped

Z>Sanae was decided [to be added in] later
Z>Anyhow, let's make it into a separate game (form SWR)
Z>And have weaker characters comes out, that'd be great
(Having weak characters go against strong ones in IaMP on even grounds gave it rounding approvals)

But China was in IAMP as well, and the wiki stated they wanted weak characters to face the "stronger" ones. Couldn't they just bring Meiling back and put a weaker character from the same game (EOSD)?

Meiling was never in story mode, not in Immaterial and Missing Power, not in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody. They might be talking about story mode.

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #189 on: July 13, 2013, 08:37:54 PM »
Immortality does not make one immune to pain or to being knocked out for a while. For that matter, as far as Touhou lore is concerned, every single fairy in Touhou is in essence immortal, so the same excuse could apply to Cirno, but she's there, unlike our two Hourai Elixir drinkers.

Like Tiamat said; the reason why Kaguya and Mokou were left out of the game was much more likely due to balancing issues and lack of time to fix them, rather than the canonical "superiority" of the two girls to everyone else present in the cast. Why are we even talking about fighting games anyway, when this thread is focused on a popularity poll?

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #190 on: July 13, 2013, 10:02:21 PM »
Why are we even talking about fighting games anyway, when this thread is focused on a popularity poll?
Because the words slut and Sanae were used in the same sentence.
It should be obvious that the problem was balance issues for Kaguya and Mokou, since the spellcard rules makes noone too superior compared to the other characters.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #191 on: July 14, 2013, 02:28:44 AM »
I think we've had enough insulting of the Touhou cast. Memes or not, keep it civil and tidy. No need to repeat the same words over and over, they don't become any funnier or obvious that way.

Mind you all, this is also an unofficial popularity contest held by a different bunch of people. Treat the results as you please, but behave yourself regarding them and to each other.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 02:31:46 AM by Helepolis »

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #192 on: July 14, 2013, 01:31:26 PM »
To be personally honest, in regards to the immortality thing, the only game I've seen do something like that was Metal Bokuchin. His immortality worked that he had 8 revives, each KO would have the fighter fly back like he was KO'd and restore restore 1/8 less health than the last, then get up again. Every match against him turned into a very lengthy affair, and a bit momentum killing since he would drift off mid-combo and air recover.

Kinda annoying, though that's kinda drowned out by his annoying "NAMAMETA!" everytime he did something. Either way, it seems like that resurection thing would make a match very not fun to deal with.

« Reply #193 on: July 14, 2013, 02:07:58 PM »
I dunno, none of Mokou's spell cards in Imperishable Night had anything to directly do with ressurection, did they? Closest one were the phoenix ones, and that was more symbollic than anything else. Although I guess there was that whole "Mokou dies and revives after each spell card" thing, but that was kinda in the "Blink and you'll miss it" category.

Although there already was Okuu for a fire themed character in Hisoutensoku, anyways...

Kirin no Sora

• Wanderer of Gensokyo
  • I have returned from the nothingness once more...
« Reply #194 on: July 15, 2013, 09:37:14 PM »
Actually, I think that Okuu counts more as a "sun themed" character than a "fire themed" one. As for Mokou, you could simply have her burst into flames and stuff, and even give her a trick that lets her explode and then reform almost immediately. That could work, maybe?

There is no greater joy than knowing that the Touhou invasion is unstoppable, and the legacy of Gensokyo will never fade away...

Branneg Xy

• ^UP http://www.miyasuke.net/flash/yuyugohan.html ^
    • (FREE) LINKEDIN PROFILE
« Reply #195 on: August 16, 2013, 08:50:18 PM »
Old topic,although I believe it is ok to post in it as long as it is still open and without warnings.
Actually, I think that Okuu counts more as a "sun themed" character than a "fire themed" one. As for Mokou, you could simply have her burst into flames and stuff, and even give her a trick that lets her explode and then reform almost immediately. That could work, maybe?

A little correction:Okuu is conceived by Zun more as a recipient for the "Ultimate Energy" aka  an advanced form of nuclear fusion,so it is regarded more as a dual "nuclear and radiations-sun themed" character than as a pure "sun and sunlight themed" like  Amaterasu is.
As for Mokou,it might work out as a basis.
However,thinking deeply about this one, there are sprites and animations which would overlap with Mokou's eventual  fire and reforming moves;on top of my head I recall Remilia's and a bit of Marisa's during all fighters and Utsuho in HTS ,especially Story mode for  Remi and Okuu, but there might be more in HM .
An additional loss of value  would be the absence of Mokou -Kaguya 'cause the latter "Manipulation of Eternity" requires too much work to be both balanced and enjoyable and so another character pulls ahead replacing her,which might be for the better as they both need comprehension and polishing to not come out half-baked.
Brainstorming aside,  http://youtu.be/WWaLxFIVX1s  is my reaction  to missing out on voting on a new and unexpected Touhou Poll.Nice addition on the partner thing!
Well,it really shows the hype for HM boosted quite a lot of faces in the Single Character popularity poll*looks at Koishi*! In spite of that,the Music and Partner polls are minimally affected and IMHO less hype-influenced.
^^^^ http://www.miyasuke.net/flash/yuyugohan.html  " 西行寺幽々子の強奪!!隣の晩御飯 " ->>>
" Yuyuko Saigyouji 's "Uslurpation" !! Dinner is Next ".
( Possibilities of ENGrish ) ^^^^ .