Author Topic: Testing out solutions to Touhou 13.5 patch?  (Read 391463 times)

Re: Testing out solutions to Touhou 13.5 patch?
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2013, 08:25:53 PM »
About Font, for while we can use their font. font from game.

*Editing config menu

Ciel

• Green-Eyed Jealousy
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2013, 12:47:16 AM »

I doubt we could just waltz in and go "Hee Ho, translation ho~"... We definitely need to change the whole coding for this inside the game files. D: Perhaps a font change would be highly recommended too.

As for the background problem... I'm pretty sure AppLocale DID work. Here's how my folder for one of the backgrounds look like:

I did it like this: After doing my editing, I run repackBM (or repackCS if I did text editing), then run th135arc.exe /p th135. I already patched 135.exe during my first packing so I doubt I need to do it again. After that, I copied th135.pack and th135b.pak into my game folder, and play it.

Did I miss a step somehow? D:

P.S: Does anyone know how to use dumpact and dumpcnut? It's crashing for me. Thanks in advance!

Just some weirdo, move along!

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2013, 12:58:52 AM »
@Ciel:

Weird. I can run dumpact and dumpcnut without problem.
I will try it again after back from work :v

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2013, 06:40:43 AM »
@Ciel th135arc.exe /p th135 must also be executed under AppLocale with same settings as /x
Anyway I'll try to make it works without AppLocale on English OS.

Edit: Just updated th135arc(download link doesn't change), I hope this time it works without AppLocale on non-asia systems.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 11:48:33 AM by Riatre »

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2013, 07:42:33 AM »
Thanks for your generosity, Riatre!

I take it people are planning for a minimal scale translation patch? Is anyone experienced here going to take charge?
About Font, for while we can use their font. font from game.
The game contains 2 font files in its archive, but doesn't actually use them anywhere, not even in its graphic files.

EDIT: Anyways, as I'm waiting for everything to decompress, what fonts do the images use?
As Marukyu said, use the right types of fonts would be enough. The game's main stylish choice is to evoke the aesthetics of newspapers, which isn't that hard to replicate with English fonts.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
Weird. I got black background problem too after repack.
note: my system already japan locale.

*try to find problem

Edit:

problem solved
D/l new file th135arc
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:17:05 PM by anthony_en »

Ciel

• Green-Eyed Jealousy
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2013, 12:36:03 PM »
@Ciel th135arc.exe /p th135 must also be executed under AppLocale with same settings as /x

Edit: Just updated th135arc(download link doesn't change), I hope this time it works without AppLocale on non-asia systems.
Did just that, but same thing happened. ^^; Thank you very much for staying here even after giving us the tools, Ria!

Weird. I got black background problem too after repack.
note: my system already japan locale.

*try to find problem
Same problem as I am. D:

I take it people are planning for a minimal scale translation patch? Is anyone experienced here going to take charge?The game contains 2 font files in its archive, but doesn't actually use them anywhere, not even in its graphic files.
There isn't anyone else volunteering... Experience and me don't mix in this. D: We really need a good programmer to help out, I think. Maybe someone who helped with the Soku translation if they're not busy? ^_^;

Anyways, I think a list might be great, so... Hmm...
  • Fix the text alignment for messages, make the text print horizontal instead of vertical. (Perhaps the most important out of them all. Exclusive English problem!)
  • Graphic editing, like the newspapers articles?
Other things which I think may help alot on the final product? ^^;
  • Find a suitable font replacement for English?
  • If  we really have the ability to, maybe a separate executable th13.5 executable like th135e along with a seperate pak file, so everyone won't need to redownload the whole game or something? Hmm.. o:
That's all in my head for now. 8D

Edit: A new file? O_O Do you have a link, please?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:41:10 PM by Ciel »

« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2013, 12:45:15 PM »
@Ciel:

Problem solved after using th135arc new from Riatre (?)
I don't get black background again.

@Riatre:

Thank you for giving us tool.

« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2013, 12:48:56 PM »
@Ciel:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15824386/135tk.zip

« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2013, 01:42:01 PM »
I redownloaded the tools and did a test run of unpacking and repacking without changing any of the files, and it works flawlessly (on Wine, even)! Great job!

• If  we really have the ability to, maybe a separate executable th13.5 executable like th135e along with a seperate pak file, so everyone won't need to redownload the whole game or something? Hmm.. o:
This seems to be our only choice for now. Previous fighting game translations worked by adding a zip archive called thXXXe.dat, then by injecting code into thXXX.exe to load and override certain assets of the game from the English data file.
As long as we have no one with the necessary time and disassembly knowledge for this relatively complex task, the most we can do is replace all instances of "th135.pak" with something like "te135.pak", and distribute a program that copies and patches the original .pak into the translated "te135.pak", as well as creating a "th135e.exe" with the necessary modifications to load that other data file.
A difference-based binary patch program shouldn't be too difficult to create, the biggest issue here is merely the extra disk space used on the player's computer from the second .pak file.

Ciel

• Green-Eyed Jealousy
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2013, 03:47:24 PM »
@Ciel:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15824386/135tk.zip
YEESSSS THANK YOU THIS WORKS VERY WELL TY SO MUCH AND THANK YOU RIATRE FOR EVERYTHING

... I have no idea how many times did I say thank you to you 8D; But yes, other than the missing black outline at the Profile1 text, everything seems to be working fine!

I tried editing the spell card names, and there seems to be a character limit. (The font looks a bit out of place too, but that's because it's intended for Japanese. ^_^;) Can anyone try to see if the spell cards get cut off just like mine?

Oh, one question,

For the top left and right, there's the blue and red gauge. The literal translations for these are "Yes" and "No". But it's very awkward to say "Once you fill the "Yes" approval gauge, you can use your last word" or something IDKKK. But I don't know, what do you guys think?

What do you guys think?

Lukesky180

• Knight of the Hungry Ghost
  • Yuyuko-sama!
    • HSE-Endeavor's Robotics Team
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2013, 05:13:48 PM »
...that does sound awkward. I think "Good" and "Bad" are good placeholders for the more awkward "Yes" and "No".
>This is the little mistress.
>Oh, hello little one!
Is this my dream, the destiny to behold?
~Sister of Scarlet~

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2013, 06:13:44 PM »
I tried editing the spell card names, and there seems to be a character limit. (The font looks a bit out of place too, but that's because it's intended for Japanese. ^_^;) Can anyone try to see if the spell cards get cut off just like mine?

That's not a character limit, that's (probably) you trying to use a comma. CSV files are comma-separated tables, so the comma indicates the start of the next column. Try to escape it by prefixing it with a backslash, or put the whole description into (double) quotes. CSVs are not standardized, so we'll have to use trial and error to find out what works for this particular implementation.

Lukesky180

• Yuyuko-sama!
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2013, 06:28:15 PM »
This seems to be our only choice for now. Previous fighting game translations worked by adding a zip archive called thXXXe.dat, then by injecting code into thXXX.exe to load and override certain assets of the game from the English data file.
As long as we have no one with the necessary time and disassembly knowledge for this relatively complex task, the most we can do is replace all instances of "th135.pak" with something like "te135.pak", and distribute a program that copies and patches the original .pak into the translated "te135.pak", as well as creating a "th135e.exe" with the necessary modifications to load that other data file.
A difference-based binary patch program shouldn't be too difficult to create, the biggest issue here is merely the extra disk space used on the player's computer from the second .pak file.
So if the big issue is extra disk space, would it be then possible to do all that? And would there be a way to further compress the file?

EDIT: Also, will any future released patches affect what we are doing now?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 06:32:48 PM by Lukesky180 »
>Oh, hello little one!
~Sister of Scarlet~

« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2013, 07:00:41 PM »
So if the big issue is extra disk space, would it be then possible to do all that? And would there be a way to further compress the file?
It's a ~540 MB increase in file system usage, unless the original .pak file would be overwritten, which isn't exactly the safest method. Compressing the file is infeasible because we currently can't change the way the game reads the data file, and most of the data is already well compressed anyway.

EDIT: Also, will any future released patches affect what we are doing now?
They shouldn't. Tasofro will probably never touch th135.pak again, they use th135b.pak to distribute their patches to save on patch file size. Any modification to th135.pak or its encryption scheme will require them to redistribute it with the patch, which is something I think they try to avoid.

Lukesky180

• Yuyuko-sama!
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2013, 07:45:42 PM »
It's a ~540 MB increase in file system usage, unless the original .pak file would be overwritten, which isn't exactly the safest method. Compressing the file is infeasible because we currently can't change the way the game reads the data file, and most of the data is already well compressed anyway.
They shouldn't. Tasofro will probably never touch th135.pak again, they use th135b.pak to distribute their patches to save on patch file size. Any modification to th135.pak or its encryption scheme will require them to redistribute it with the patch, which is something I think they try to avoid.
1) True, it would be like copying and pasting th135.pak and making another copy of it in the exact same directory. In fact, in the way I see it, that's exactly how it is.

2) I agree with that, just a little unsure before your answer. I would assume that Tasofro has made that pak file final along with the release of the game and that they wouldn't prod it again. Even with tongs.

Thanks for your answers, they were very helpful.
>Oh, hello little one!
~Sister of Scarlet~

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2013, 01:18:17 AM »
...that does sound awkward. I think "Good" and "Bad" are good placeholders for the more awkward "Yes" and "No".
Incorrect. The whole popularity system is a light parody of modern election (see the Al Gore reference in Marisa's ability, "Third Time's the Embellisher"). The popularity markers are intended to evoke popularity polls. It's not "I think she's good/bad", it's "I agree/disagree with her religious view" - people are basing their religious view on who wins the duels, similar to how in modern election, people decide who to vote for based on their public debate performances.

Here, "yes", "no" and "neither" are the 3 standard choices in social surveys, and should be translated as such.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:25:39 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Lukesky180

• Yuyuko-sama!
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2013, 01:34:06 AM »
Whoops, I guess I forgot to consider that and went with that sounded better.
>Oh, hello little one!
~Sister of Scarlet~

Ciel

• Green-Eyed Jealousy
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2013, 03:21:15 PM »
Incorrect. The whole popularity system is a light parody of modern election (see the Al Gore reference in Marisa's ability, "Third Time's the Embellisher"). The popularity markers are intended to evoke popularity polls. It's not "I think she's good/bad", it's "I agree/disagree with her religious view" - people are basing their religious view on who wins the duels, similar to how in modern election, people decide who to vote for based on their public debate performances.

Here, "yes", "no" and "neither" are the 3 standard choices in social surveys, and should be translated as such.
Ah, I suppose I should change that, then, if that's the case. I just hate how... literal, it sounds.

I tried looking up a font for Story mode, and I think this design works best, since it shows the full name while still readable, and it looks nice. But a second opinion is always good, I think?

At the most right now, without able to manipulate the text alignment, picture space, or the font, the best we could do is just menu translations and spell card declarations. (I mean look at the font for the spell card, eww.) But I'm just throwing things around.

... I should probably avoid spamming the topic and take this someplace else. XD; I think I'm annoying everyone with these kind of posts.

Lukesky180

• Yuyuko-sama!
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2013, 04:33:16 PM »
Annoy? Not me, never! I love seeing updates in screenshots !

Speaking of updates, I'm just editing CSV files now.
>Oh, hello little one!
~Sister of Scarlet~

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2013, 04:39:29 PM »
These are less annoying and more helpful in terms of illustrating how progress is going, so don't stop! Besides, this is kind of the thread for English patch work anyways, so you're not spamming the wrong thread or anything. ^^;
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2013, 04:52:17 PM »
Ah, I suppose I should change that, then, if that's the case. I just hate how... literal, it sounds.

I tried looking up a font for Story mode, and I think this design works best, since it shows the full name while still readable, and it looks nice. But a second opinion is always good, I think?

At the most right now, without able to manipulate the text alignment, picture space, or the font, the best we could do is just menu translations and spell card declarations. (I mean look at the font for the spell card, eww.) But I'm just throwing things around.

... I should probably avoid spamming the topic and take this someplace else. XD; I think I'm annoying everyone with these kind of posts.

I think the font for the names works. If it can fit in Futo's giant name then it should (hopefully) work for everyone else's. While I'm 100% sure I don't speak for everyone, I think people would be happy with at least a menu patch. Thanks for your hard work.

Also, Is Gensokyo.org (was that it), not going to help at all because they're not fans of the gameplay style?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 06:07:53 PM by Hinacle »

Lukesky180

• Yuyuko-sama!
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2013, 05:45:38 PM »
They did say that they were not going to work on the English patch, but the reasons weren't clear. Something along the lines of "ridiculous encryption, too much work, and dislike of the game itself". I think this was discussed in one of the previous HM threads.

Edit: I think that efforts will be appreciated, even if it means we can't translate everything. Let's just try our best to translate all that we can.
>Oh, hello little one!
~Sister of Scarlet~

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2013, 06:29:03 PM »
I think a minimal translation of the menus are fine with a lot of people until you guys can figure out how to fix up and work on the dialogue and story. I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate the menus being translated :V

« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2013, 04:57:45 AM »
Yeah, it will help at least help a lot of players. The story is good, but that might be too hard, so just take it a step at a time.

Ciel

• Green-Eyed Jealousy
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2013, 06:10:23 PM »
Ahh, thank you so very much, everyone! I honestly thought I'm kind of being annoying with spamming images since I'm pretty average aha;;

For the menu patch, I'm hoping that there's a solution where you guys don't have to download the entire file and a separate patch instead. If it's just sent like that, the size is like having a second Hopeless Masquerade game in your comp, and I'm sure we don't want that. D:

Riatre, if you're still here, does the Chinese patch have a problem with the Profile1 and Profile 2 at the bottom of the screen in a match? ^^;

Annoy? Not me, never! I love seeing updates in screenshots !
YOU'RE HELPING WITH THE TRANSLATION TOO *SHOT*

Anyways, did a bit more designing and doing what I can. >_<

First off, I'm not really sure which kind of font to use for the names in the versus screen. The space given is VERY limited, and I thought the name looks out of place so I tried to do some font consistency. The left is more consistent but the right looks more gamey. I think I may stick with right, unless you guys like the left more or something else entirely?

THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T RELY ON ME ON ANYTHING.

Okay ignoring that text, and the most-likely-wrong translation, I think I'm done with the screen's design, unless someone says otherwise. ^^;

There isn't much I could do with the naming, so with the current space, the only thing I can do is this. A bit small, but it might do? 8D;

As usual, opinions are always welcome!

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2013, 06:19:49 PM »
For the text box, is there anyway to recode it to type horizontally instead of vertically? Just curious.

Lukesky180

• Yuyuko-sama!
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2013, 09:36:21 PM »
For the text box, is there anyway to recode it to type horizontally instead of vertically? Just curious.
I think that's a code thing, and I'm hoping that there IS a way to do that.

Ahh, thank you so very much, everyone! I honestly thought I'm kind of being annoying with spamming images since I'm pretty average aha;;

For the menu patch, I'm hoping that there's a solution where you guys don't have to download the entire file and a separate patch instead. If it's just sent like that, the size is like having a second Hopeless Masquerade game in your comp, and I'm sure we don't want that. D:

Riatre, if you're still here, does the Chinese patch have a problem with the Profile1 and Profile 2 at the bottom of the screen in a match? ^^;

First off, I'm not really sure which kind of font to use for the names in the versus screen. The space given is VERY limited, and I thought the name looks out of place so I tried to do some font consistency. The left is more consistent but the right looks more gamey. I think I may stick with right, unless you guys like the left more or something else entirely?

Okay ignoring that text, and the most-likely-wrong translation, I think I'm done with the screen's design, unless someone says otherwise. ^^;

There isn't much I could do with the naming, so with the current space, the only thing I can do is this. A bit small, but it might do? 8D;

My data went corrupt and all my progress was lost... ;w;

If the vertical text cannot be changed, I think you should ignore that for now and focus on graphic/text files that CAN be edited. As for Miko's text, IMO stick with the right one.

Good job on the screenshots, by the way.
>Oh, hello little one!
~Sister of Scarlet~

« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2013, 10:12:54 PM »

Personally I like the left font because consistency. It's up to you though.

The versus screen looks great, it's easy to read and it pops out. I love it.

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2013, 12:00:12 AM »
CPU files huh? I feel CPU patches coming in the future.
EDIT: The program crashes when I try to extract the .nut files

But I guess we might be getting Arcade Mode in the next update, I found a file with menu text and Arcade is in there.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:21:44 AM by InfiniteWave »