Author Topic: 東方幻想魔録 ~ Devil of Decline Translation  (Read 238533 times)

TwilightsCall

• 名探偵ヱリカ参上!
  • あなたの応手を拝見しましょう
Re: 東方幻想魔録 ~ Devil of Decline Translation
« Reply #420 on: October 17, 2014, 12:29:34 PM »
I'm not one of the people in charge, but the switch to Banquet would be a bad idea, because it uses the still as of now uncracked file format that Touhou Quest and Nightmare of Rebellion use. At least with Festival the file format we've already cracked. So I guess if TwilightsCall looks back at this at some point, I would say yeah, we should stick with Festival because otherwise we'd have translated stuff but nothing we can easily pack it into.

Reason enough for me.

I'll go ahead with Festival then.  Expect slow progress thanks to me having a job for the first time in my life, but progress there will be.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #421 on: October 31, 2014, 02:55:59 PM »
This is a really kind of weird reason to resurrect this thread, but there is a translation error many people who've been using machine translators for the collective group name of the three main antagonists in the first act of the game. In Japanese, their name is 三魔柱, or Sanmahashira, if you were to romanize it. San of course is three, ma means demon in this context, but then there's hashira. Most translations I've seen, as well as the one I've used myself, is "pillar" for that kanji. So, most people have been referring to them as the Three Demon Pillars or the Three Demonic Pillars. Looking at hashira again, I noticed an alternative meaning for it is "a counter for gods and buddhas, etc." So I was curious as to what that was. Turns out counters are mean to be kanji used to describe a number of a group. Given that there is a number (three) in this context, the translation of this group would be more accurately called the Three Demon Goddesses. Just a quick thing that I noted that has been a bit of a major inaccuracy.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

« Reply #422 on: November 01, 2014, 02:48:17 PM »
This is a really kind of weird reason to resurrect this thread, but there is a translation error many people who've been using machine translators for the collective group name of the three main antagonists in the first act of the game. In Japanese, their name is 三魔柱, or Sanmahashira, if you were to romanize it. San of course is three, ma means demon in this context, but then there's hashira. Most translations I've seen, as well as the one I've used myself, is "pillar" for that kanji. So, most people have been referring to them as the Three Demon Pillars or the Three Demonic Pillars. Looking at hashira again, I noticed an alternative meaning for it is "a counter for gods and buddhas, etc." So I was curious as to what that was. Turns out counters are mean to be kanji used to describe a number of a group. Given that there is a number (three) in this context, the translation of this group would be more accurately called the Three Demon Goddesses. Just a quick thing that I noted that has been a bit of a major inaccuracy.
As far as I know counters are always strictly connected with numbers, so the phrase would be 魔三柱 if 柱 was actually a counter.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 03:28:02 PM by scarletgrandpa »

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #423 on: November 01, 2014, 11:03:52 PM »
Hmm... that is true. I'd say it's just an irregular usage of a counter in that case, but I don't know. Three Demon Pillars just doesn't make as much sense as Three Demon Goddesses/Three Demon Spirits, but who knows...?

« Reply #424 on: November 02, 2014, 09:45:23 AM »
Hmm... that is true. I'd say it's just an irregular usage of a counter in that case, but I don't know. Three Demon Pillars just doesn't make as much sense as Three Demon Goddesses/Three Demon Spirits, but who knows...?
It does sound weird, but if you look at it metaphorically it can make sense. Or maybe it's some wordplay thing.

« Reply #425 on: November 02, 2014, 07:25:45 PM »
It doesn't sound weird to me, many mythologies refer to focal points or important objects or concepts as pillars.  The most obvious one would probably Axis Mundi, also known as the World Pillar, among many others names.  In Egyptian mythology there is the Djed pillar. The titans Hyperion, Koios, Krios and Iapetos are referred to as the four pillars that hold the heavens and the earth apart- they are personifications of this mythological cosmology concept.  That is just to name a few examples.  So in this sense, the henchmen trio having a title of Pillar doesn't sound out of place to me considering their roles in the story.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #426 on: November 03, 2014, 12:39:03 AM »
I suppose you have a point with that. It just felt weird to me, was all, but if it is indeed an accurate translation, then nevermind, Three Demon Pillars it is. ^^;

« Reply #427 on: December 14, 2014, 01:53:06 AM »
Is this translation still going?
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #428 on: February 17, 2015, 02:56:28 PM »
I'd like to know the status of this translation as well. It's been a while since I last heard any news about it.

(and yes, I still want to play this game in English)

Sweetness and love~ ♥