Author Topic: Subterranean Animism - Boss Rush Patch (Satori Rush!)  (Read 60624 times)

Drake

Subterranean Animism - Boss Rush Patch (Satori Rush!)
« on: May 15, 2013, 05:11:42 AM »
And it isn't a joke this time!

Yep, decided to keep going and do TH11. Mainly because Naut and Nereid brought up the prospect of Satori Rush and it was like wooooah yesssssss

Patch Download: https://mega.nz/#!85MACTBK!wBZpEyv5rWp7_qwHTQCqa7F_4hFNF5JOpjh4JS5iSGY
(日本の皆さん: 日本語で使用方法と変更点を追加したー プレイしてくれてありがとう、楽しんできてください!)

Main game: The main game is restyled so that it becomes a fairly challenging boss rush mode. The stage sections are removed, including most midbosses, so the game is entirely boss fights. There are no bombs (the Power system remains), and no continues. As a boss rush, I wanted to make sure that the player gets a type of challenge that they wouldn't normally experience playing SA. Ideally, in order to clear, you have to play very well: in other words, capture nearly everything. The lives system is kept the same; a pattern capture grants you a life piece, and five pieces make an extra life. Plus, since you can't bomb, you have to be able to keep surviving a pattern you may die on. This sort of play doesn't skew your score files, since those are already dependent on captures.
Unlike UFO, players can expect to survive a little longer, since there isn't any cough difficult stage 2 boss cough to kick your ass early.

Extra mode isn't really a point of interest, since Extra is already pretty short and it's just cut to Sanae and Koishi. Having no bombs doesn't provide that much greater of a challenge, and cutting lives here wouldn't make a difference. Seeing as many players have difficulty with Koishi, this is essentially boss practice as below.

Practice mode is probably what many people would use this for. It's simply Boss Practice, i.e. amazing. No bombs of course, but that only helps for practicing. You can practice problematic boss patterns quickly and repeatedly, without having to sit through the stage each time.

Replays work perfectly. A separate replay folder is created automatically to read and write from, so the boss rush replays don't get mixed up with the rest.

Instructions:
(Always back up your score files. They should not be affected, but it's always good practice.)
- Place the th11_bossrush folder directly into your game folder. You do not need to move any files around, the patch folder should just be a subfolder of your game folder like this:
Code: [Select]
th11/
  ├─ replay/
  ├─ th11_bossrush/
  │    ├─ data/
  │    ├─ patch_en.bat
  │    └─ patch_jp.bat
  ├─ snapshot/
  ├─ マニュアル/
  ├─ th11.dat
  ├─ th11.exe
  ├─ th11e.dat
  ├─ th11e.exe
  └─ otherfiles
- Run patch_jp.bat or patch_en.bat depending on which base files you wish to patch.

A new executable (th11boss.exe) and data file (th11boss.dat) should be produced directly into your SA folder, and they will not overwrite your old ones.

Changes:
- Obviously, the stage sections are removed.
- Most midbosses are removed.
- No continues. Hardcore.
- No bombs. Way hardcore.
- Power system is decoupled from bomb system.
- A new replay folder for boss rush replays will be created automatically.
- New demo replays.
- Certain mysterious gameplay changes.
- Other small graphical changes to reflect the game.
- ACHIEVE SATORI

Known Bugs:
- Card names are in japanese, even if patch is applied to english version, in which case they become mojibake. This is because I'm too lazy to create two versions of modified stage files. Will not be fixed.
- Choosing to "Continue" after clearing Extra stage will crash the game. This is because ZUN reuses the Game Over menu here, and the continue option redirects to the nonexistent restart option. Will not be fixed.
- Sometimes music does silly things with the demo replays. Please ignore.

This took wayyyyy longer than it should have. There were so many bumps in the road that required way more work than I first intended. I'm very glad this is done.

Undefined Fantastic Object Boss Rush Patch: http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,14341.0.html
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 01:21:29 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

ark

• みょん
Re: Subterranean Animism - Boss Rush Patch (Satori Rush!)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 05:20:32 AM »
awww yesssss

Formless God

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 05:28:07 AM »
marry me drak

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 05:31:18 AM »
<----- My reaction to this topic.

The best thing I've seen all day.
of course its just 00:30 here but I'm sure it'll stay the best thing for the remaining 23:30 of the day

I've been hoping this would happen since it was done with UFO, this is great.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 06:48:32 AM by SirBlueberry »

ark

• みょん
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 06:16:40 AM »
Almost cleared. Game over on Subterranean Sun. I totally saw it coming.

Mesarthim

• Oh no, which direction should I move?
  • Clumsy
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 06:46:41 AM »
I have wanted this for so long.

At last my prayers have been answered. Let the table flipping commence.

Hard 1cc: 4 (LLS), 6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW)13 (TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)
Lunatic 1cc: 8 (IN), 9 (PoFV), 11 (SA), 12.8 (GFW), 14 (DDC)
Extra Clear: 4 (LLS) ,5 (MS) ,6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW),13(TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 06:53:50 AM »
Ten Evil Stars whyyyyyy. Gotta actually practice that pattern now :(

Mesarthim

• Clumsy
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 07:08:44 AM »
Sweet mother of.

Satori is a monster!

Hard 1cc: 4 (LLS), 6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW)13 (TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)
Extra Clear: 4 (LLS) ,5 (MS) ,6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW),13(TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 07:58:42 AM »
Whoa.....Step aside, Koishi... We've just found SA's Phantasm Boss.

I didn't even realize how long Satori was taking until I started getting Extends from her fight alone. :V

Also, the hardcore no-bombing forced me to actually learn how to Yuugi (specifically her second nonspell)

Mesarthim

• Clumsy
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 08:17:33 AM »
Edited out. Posted below.

Working as intended.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 09:11:41 AM by Mesarthim »

Drake

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 08:28:30 AM »
You mean something went horribly right.

Mesarthim

• Clumsy
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 08:47:05 AM »
Yes, something went horribly right.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:54:07 AM by Mesarthim »

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 08:48:43 AM »
God among gods among men YES

This is going to be my first time fighting any of the other Satori-s because so far I've been too lazy to full run with CharNotNamedReimuA.

Edit: This doesn't mesh with Vsynch? If it does then enlighten this moron, if it doesn't then do you need other methods to alter the screen size to whatever-the-hell?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:54:27 AM by BT »

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 09:28:41 AM »
Finally, this came out for real (I understand it was a joke before, but my spirits really sank when I read "APRILFOOL'SDAY" or whatever the message was over and over and over again in the command line). It works fine (weirdly enough, the title screen is the Japanese one, yet the dialogues are still English because I patched the English version. Weird).
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Mesarthim

• Clumsy
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 09:38:06 AM »
Well one doesn't necessarily need the interface after having played it in English already.

The point is, Satori Rush is very real. No more Mind's Eye April Fools.

Nindella

• That cat!
  • Nyaaa...
    • Youtube Page!
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 10:03:43 AM »
Boss Rush clear on lunatic with 5 lives total remaining.

Gosh dammit Drake, I was asleep when you made this thread ;_;

Ehh, so, the patch!!

Now that it's been released:

1. No one need ever complain about not being able to do Yamame's 1st non!
2. No one need ever complain about not being able to do Yuugi's 2nd non! 
3. No one need ever complain about not being able to do Catwalk!  (Oh my gosh, I can actually practice it without having to wait through the first minute of Stage 5 Every Time :V )
4. Lots of other attacks are now easy to practice! No need to wait about 3+ minutes through zzzy 99% staticy stages~  (Utsuho's 1st spell etc.)  Thank you so so much Drake ;w;

Also, a myriad of other attacks are now super easy to practice! (DBDB) so everyone with difficulties with SA, get your asses on this patch cause it's probably the best thing to happen to SA besides an actual Spell Practice option! (which would be pretty nifty to have, please make it Drake!!  )

I wanted to say this earlier, but I was asleep!  (Now I am not, time to play more SA~)

Edit:

I'm gunna kill you for what you did to some of the attacks! (Not gunna say cause Spoilers  )
Just going to say, I lost VERY GOODfreaking 6 lives RUNS to them!! (Still, I had a great laugh, haha)

Oh, and Happy Birthday!

2nd Edit: No smilies here~
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:40:11 PM by Nindella »
Youtube Channel!
Please check it out for Touhou commentaries, LPs, piano transcriptions and more!
My Touhou replays!

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 11:38:26 AM »
Nice job on this. Should prove a fun challenge.

*Nope that didn't happen, nononono. I failed to NMNB the game on Hard. Yeah, that's way better way to put it.* I like what you did with Stage 4 though.

EDIT: Okay, having played it some more. I am really satisfied with this patch. Great work! Satori Rush is really fun. Only thing i can mention I don't like about it is how you didn't omit Strawdull Kamikuso.  :V
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 01:35:01 PM by Zengeku »

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 12:27:56 PM »
so, what do I do when the game keeps crashing during the in-game loading screen? is there anything specific causing this or does my computer just really really hate me  for treating it badly`?

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 02:29:14 PM »
I wanted to say Thank You for making this.

Also, this replay didn't work for me until I renamed it to th11_01.rpy. I haven't watched replays before so I don't know if this is standard procedure.
Also I guess there's some sort of a strange version mismatch because when I watch this replay, you lose all lives in Satori's 5th spellcard in a very weird way, like you're dodging some other pattern. But I can look at stage 5 and 6 regardless if I jump directly to them.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 03:02:17 PM »
I survived Boss Practice Satori!

Pathetico.

Considering I died like 3 times to Mercury Poison and didn't know how to do Nitori's snake-y spell, I think this was amusingly impressive.

Edit: Just survived again, with 4 full extra lives, with two deaths to Nitori's snake-y spell. That's a quick improvement. :&
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 03:23:24 PM by BT »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 03:21:22 PM »
Hmm. Boss rush doesn't normally appeal to me, but Subterranean Animism appeals to me a lot. Will be trying and probably horrendously dying almost instantly.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 03:31:07 PM »
Only thing i can mention I don't like about it is how you didn't omit Strawdoll Kamikaze.  :V
Clearly I need practice at this because I died 5 times to it.
Clearly I also don't need practice at DBDB because I captured that card yet again without feeling challenged by it.

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 03:54:42 PM »
it crashed during okuu whyyyy ;-;

Oh

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 04:55:43 PM »
Hmm. Interesting. I will be trying to clear the boss rush mode.
Thank you for your efforts Drake! Another awesome patch.
I'm hoping for the EoSD one but it probably won't happen.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:58:08 PM by Denpa »

Nindella

• That cat!
  • Nyaaa...
    • Youtube Page!
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 06:24:30 PM »
I wanted to say Thank You for making this.
Also, this replay didn't work for me until I renamed it to th11_01.rpy. I haven't watched replays before so I don't know if this is standard procedure.
Also I guess there's some sort of a strange version mismatch because when I watch this replay, you lose all lives in Satori's 5th spellcard in a very weird way, like you're dodging some other pattern. But I can look at stage 5 and 6 regardless if I jump directly to them.

Huh, those are weird problems... I don't really know the solution myself though  :ohdear:  Sounds like a desync like how Touhou 11 desyncs on Utsuho when you start replays on stage 6, but it may be something else.

Does this happen on other replays? 
Youtube Channel!
Please check it out for Touhou commentaries, LPs, piano transcriptions and more!
My Touhou replays!

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 06:26:30 PM »

CPU meltdown  :V
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Drake

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 06:30:35 PM »
This doesn't mesh with Vsync? If it does then enlighten this moron, if it doesn't then do you need other methods to alter the screen size to whatever-the-hell?
Sure it works, just rename th11boss.exe to th11.exe as you'd usually do.

cleared too quickly i need to make it harder

I'm gunna kill you for what you did to some of the attacks! (Not gunna say cause Spoilers  )
Just going to say, I lost VERY GOODfreaking 6 lives RUNS to them!! (Still, I had a great laugh, haha)
excellent~

Nereid had a crash on Okuu too. If this isn't a coincidence, that's a real issue needing of fixing.

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2013, 07:07:51 PM »

I haven't done much with this yet, but some of the attacks were changed? What?

Nindella

• That cat!
  • Nyaaa...
    • Youtube Page!
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 07:17:56 PM »
I haven't done much with this yet, but some of the attacks were changed? What?

I forgot you can spoiler in the forum, haha.

Spoilers!

Spoiler:
Using the safespot to BoWaP will cause Satori to flood the screen with hundreds of thousands of millions of bubbles, perverts!
Spoiler:
I'd like to think it should be fine to use the safespot though since it's pretty tricky to get into after Deep Mist Labyrinth ;_;
Spoiler:
Ten Evil Stars now has larger stars!!  No vertical safespot!  Great for trying to time out though~
Spoiler:
Oy, you didn't remove the safespot to Recollection "Wind God Hidden Among Tree Leaves"!  Although that's significantly harder to get into than BoWaP's, heh.

There may have been some other changes, but I haven't found them yet, hehe

If Drake doesn't want this posted then I'll delete this post~
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:24:17 PM by Nindella »
Youtube Channel!
My Touhou replays!

Validon98

• Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 07:25:37 PM »
Spoiler:
Ten Evil Stars now has large stars!!  No vertical safespot!  Great for trying to time out though~

What. That's like a centric part of that card, though. >.>
These changes are all... honestly not great. Way to screw over the veterans, Drake.
Also, for a moment I was thinking the thing with Stage 4 was the changed thing (although that is another change, haha).
EDIT: Oh, and before you think that I think the Stage 4 thing was bad, no, that's not it. I like that. Everything else... that's just trolling. >.>
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:29:40 PM by Validon98 »