Author Topic: Subterranean Animism - Boss Rush Patch (Satori Rush!)  (Read 60621 times)

Nindella

• That cat!
  • Nyaaa...
    • Youtube Page!
Re: Subterranean Animism - Boss Rush Patch (Satori Rush!)
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 07:34:24 PM »
What. That's like a centric part of that card, though. >.>
These changes are all... honestly not great. Way to screw over the veterans, Drake.
Also, for a moment I was thinking the thing with Stage 4 was the changed thing (although that is another change, haha).

Spoiler:
Could even remove Orin's 1st non safespot too, just to be extra evil, haha!

Spoiler:
I dunno, they're cool changes since Ten Evil Stars was very easy with the safe height, now it's actually a very strong card to fight! 
Spoiler:
Also, I've now learnt how to do BoWaP thanks to that~

I couldn't get the patch to work with my usual file (probably my fault, couldn't do it with the UFO one but other people definitely could, I'll look into it some time), so I had to start with a new one (no practice stages!). 
It made those few changes extra cruel, heh, but they're pretty neat  :3
Youtube Channel!
Please check it out for Touhou commentaries, LPs, piano transcriptions and more!
My Touhou replays!

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 07:38:39 PM »
Drake, you won't manage to make this hard for Nindel unless you take out all lives whatsoever. :V Or at least remove the star pieces.

Drake

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 07:42:06 PM »
I understand it was a joke before, but my spirits really sank when I read "APRILFOOL'SDAY" or whatever the message was over and over and over again in the command line
These changes are all... honestly not great. Way to screw over the veterans, Drake.
EDIT: Oh, and before you think that I think the Stage 4 thing was bad, no, that's not it. I like that. Everything else... that's just trolling. >.>
Wow can we ban you please, seriously

Spoiler:
Ten Evil Stars
Spoiler:
They aren't bigger, the inner stars move along a larger radius, also only  on H/L.

Anyways I'm seriously thinking I could just do the same as UFO and give 1-ups after every boss (yes, they actually exist in SA's instructions). You'd have the same amount going into Satori, just less overall.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:28:10 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 07:49:09 PM »
I'm sorry if I said anything that's hurtful. Yeah, I know, that was harsh. I'm just not a fan of when something that was always there gets suddenly changed. And I know, it's to make the player actually try to dodge the patterns.
Spoiler:
I didn't think the vertical safespot of Ten Evil Stars was that much of a safespot. I mean, you still have to dodge the yellow bullets, and that can get annoying.
Can we just not get the banhammer thrown into this? It's not like I'm insulting your dignity or something. I'm just offering criticism. Sorry if it's in any way hurtful. V_V
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 08:05:24 PM »
It isn't very strong criticism though, and I can see why he decided to reply like that instead of something level-headed. If you think something isn't ideal, prove it's such and only then lay on the meanie face. Considering this is opinion-based (I think it's a VERY welcome change) you kind of jumped the gun and have nothing to complain about. :V

Edit:
Sure it works, just rename th11boss.exe to th11.exe as you'd usually do.
Doesn't change anything.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:12:54 PM by BT »

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2013, 08:17:28 PM »
Spoiler:
Ten Evil Stars now has larger stars!!  No vertical safespot!  Great for trying to time out though~
Well so much for using the boss rush patch for perfect Utsuho attempts, back to sitting through 2 minutes of boring to get to the actual boss. (frivolous reason)
This probably isn't possible and if it is it's probably a huge pain, I see no problem with it for the boss rush since the intent is to make it challenging but in stage (boss) practice isn't the point to practice the bosses, and doesn't that change negate the practice there?  So is it possible to have the boss rush read one file for the stage but stage/boss practice use a different file without the change?

I could say the same for specific Satori fights but that's not changing the pattern (related: BoWaP safespot doesn't really need practicing but the pattern does, and sitting in a safespot is different from sitting in a safeline because it's nothing vs. something) and the whole idea of a Satori Rush is really cool.  Now if I could just stop dying to everything...

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2013, 08:22:45 PM »
Well so much for using the boss rush patch for perfect Utsuho attempts, back to sitting through 2 minutes of boring to get to the actual boss. (frivolous reason)
This probably isn't possible and if it is it's probably a huge pain, I see no problem with it for the boss rush since the intent is to make it challenging but in stage (boss) practice isn't the point to practice the bosses, and doesn't that change negate the practice there?

Okay, this is what I had a problem with. Sorry if I didn't express it earlier. But yeah, if there's these changes, then what's the point of practicing the bosses? It feels like for the people who are used to everything in the normal game, they're suddenly being punished for doing something that made sense in the original game, and
Spoiler:
Ten Evil Stars
is the most prominent example of this. It's probably the only example, though.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Mesarthim

• Oh no, which direction should I move?
  • Clumsy
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 08:29:44 PM »
All I can say is with this patch I'll have had enough satori for a lifetime. However I guess my only criticism is that it is just weird to fight "all" 18 character recollections as any shot type. Now I'm not saying this because I am terrible at kamikaze doll and stuff of that sort but in a live run you aren't going to be fighting those cards as those shot types. If I mess up on let's say Border of Wave and Particle, I'd have to fight Satori's recollection and 17 character recollections for another no-death attempt.

She makes one heck of a phantasm-difficulty boss though in this manner.

Hard 1cc: 4 (LLS), 6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW)13 (TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)
Lunatic 1cc: 8 (IN), 9 (PoFV), 11 (SA), 12.8 (GFW), 14 (DDC)
Extra Clear: 4 (LLS) ,5 (MS) ,6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW),13(TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 09:17:08 PM »
Could you make a version of this with no other changes (besides removal of stage portions obviously), for actual practice purposes? This seems oriented just around the boss rush, not allowing almost anything I'd actually use boss practice for, like learning the bomb timing for grazing Yamame/Parsee with different shot types, or practicing safespots (yes I'm inconsistent at BoWaP safespotting, specifically dodging the potential Satori ram at the end, long stage doesn't encourage practice).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 09:19:49 PM by Karisa »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 10:40:24 PM »
Just posting for Linux users:

1. Install folder where Drake instructed.
2. Open Terminal inside /SA Boss Rush
3. Run
Code: [Select]
wine cmd4. Run
Code: [Select]
patch.bat5. Launch t11boss.exe in your game folder.

Worked flawlessly for me, still trying it out.

EDIT: Great fun. Me and Orin are on a first-name basis.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:28:00 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2013, 11:06:49 PM »
Awesome job. Satori is fun as hell. Thanks for the patch!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 11:57:05 PM »
Took one shot at it, was fun. Will play with it more next week when hopefully I have more time to spare.

Petition to get midboss Yuugi back in, or at least Oni Sign "Anomalies, Strength, Disorder, and Spirits". It's hard enough at least for me that some more practice at it would be cool.

Also,
Spoiler:
bwa ha ha ha ha BoWaP. Somehow I saw that coming. Satori needs her personal space!
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2013, 12:17:26 AM »
Could you make a version of this with no other changes (besides removal of stage portions obviously), for actual practice purposes? This seems oriented just around the boss rush, not allowing almost anything I'd actually use boss practice for, like learning the bomb timing for grazing Yamame/Parsee with different shot types, or practicing safespots (yes I'm inconsistent at BoWaP safespotting, specifically dodging the potential Satori ram at the end, long stage doesn't encourage practice).
There was a test version that was posted in IRC that still had bombs.  The
Spoiler:
BoWaP
spot still does "that thing" but aside from that it was the same.  If someone has it maybe they could upload and PM it or something.  Checked myself but I guess I already got rid of it.  Also on BoWaP, I think Nindel said to use her shoes as the guide.  I usually just bombed into the spot because I get scared of ramming her, but it's pretty big and shouldn't really be too hard to get down.  Never had her ram into me so I'm not sure what to say for avoiding that.  Just kill her at 0.XX seconds and hope it works out I guess?   Or maybe there's some sort of strategy for this that I don't know of.

Petition to get midboss Yuugi back in, or at least Oni Sign "Anomalies, Strength, Disorder, and Spirits". It's hard enough at least for me that some more practice at it would be cool.
I dunno, it's a pretty easy spell for most.  Too many changes on minor things like this start to be a pleasing everyone sort of thing thing and it'd be a pain in the ass for Drake to make all sorts of little mods of the same patch.  I sorta agree with Karisa that changing
Spoiler:
BoWaP
and
Spoiler:
Suns
was kinda dumb (hurts practice and if people want to dodge them they will, no need to force your preferences on others), but aside from that I wouldn't really change anything in this.  Maybe we'll see spell practice patches in the future, but aside from really hard spells like cat walk (which is already in), and important scoring midbosses (I can't really think of any in SA) I don't think midbosses should really be in the boss rush patches.  It's just more crap in the way of getting to the boss.  The people that are having trouble with that stuff can still do it in normal practice mode and get some stage practice out of it too.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 12:27:25 AM by ♥♥♥東方Hugger♥♥♥ »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 12:23:52 AM »
I dunno, it's a pretty easy spell for most.  Too many changes on minor things like this start to be a pleasing everyone sort of thing thing and it'd be a pain in the ass for Drake to make all sorts of little mods of the same patch.  I sorta agree with Karisa that changing
Spoiler:
BoWaP
and
Spoiler:
Suns
was kinda dumb (hurts practice and if people want to dodge them they will, no need to force your preferences on others), but aside from that I wouldn't really change anything in this.  Maybe we'll see spell practice patches in the future, but aside from really hard spells like cat walk (which is already in), and important scoring midbosses (I can't really think of any in SA) I don't think midbosses should really be in the boss rush patches.  It's just more crap in the way of getting to the boss.  The people that are having trouble with that stuff can still do it in normal practice mode and get some stage practice out of it too.

But practicing it in regular stage practice takes like sixty extra seconds! Everyone else should have to deal with it because sixty seconds is real inconvenient for me. :derp:

(If other people find it easy, nevermind. ;))
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 12:25:46 AM by commandercool »
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2013, 01:18:47 AM »
Drake: I love you.

Love the changes you did on a couple of spellcards too.

Drake

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2013, 01:27:16 AM »
I'm sorry if I said anything that's hurtful. Yeah, I know, that was harsh. I'm just not a fan of when something that was always there gets suddenly changed. And I know, it's to make the player actually try to dodge the patterns. It's not like I'm insulting your dignity or something. I'm just offering criticism. Sorry if it's in any way hurtful. V_V
I am very kidding. I don't find your criticism strong, but more importantly I find that your posts have been very inconsiderate. PM.

Doesn't change anything.
Weird. Can you PM me a screenshot of your folder or something?

So is it possible to have the boss rush read one file for the stage but stage/boss practice use a different file without the change?
However I guess my only criticism is that it is just weird to fight "all" 18 character recollections as any shot type.
If it's possible, it would be much more of a pain than I'm willing to deal with, and Satori would be the only one this is useful for. Without practice mode, in order to practice all of Satori's patterns you have to go through the boss rush to get there, which I think is worse than playing Stage 4 to play only the cards you want. Maybe later I'll just release files that eliminates the stage portion that you can use with the patch.

not allowing almost anything I'd actually use boss practice for, like learning the bomb timing for grazing Yamame/Parsee with different shot types, or practicing safespots (yes I'm inconsistent at BoWaP safespotting, specifically dodging the potential Satori ram at the end, long stage doesn't encourage practice).
I get the scoring aspect, but if you want to practice scoring you should practice game-long. And I'm definitely not going to go encourage "safespot practicing" despite whatever use you may see of it :p

ten evil stars dumb change
I changed Ten Evil Stars because it's a huge wimp for a card at the end of the game. I really don't see how anyone playing Hard or Lunatic would see a big difference between playing Ten Evil Stars, and essentially doing nothing. Because you're essentially doing nothing. The boss practice is still for practice; I only significantly changed the play of one pattern that you should not need to practice ever. Is it really so important that you get to practice moving to the middle and tapping left and right a few times? Rather, does making the card actually worth playing somehow invalidate its use for practicing the reading of its bullets?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 01:30:45 AM by Drake »

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2013, 03:21:02 AM »
So how come you didn't change Yuugi's first boss card or whatever it is? It's more of a freebie than Ten Evil Star or anything ever in the history of Touhou Lunatic. Or maybe even Easy.

Drake

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2013, 04:10:31 AM »
Naut suggested I replace it with the demo version the night before I posted and then I forgot about it.

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2013, 05:45:47 AM »
I'm looking forward getting raped by Satori! :V

Good work Drake, I'm glad it's not a joke this time. :V

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2013, 07:15:47 AM »
Weird. Can you PM me a screenshot of your folder or something?
Yes! (I can't read so -edit-)

ark

• みょん
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2013, 08:34:55 AM »
http://i.imgur.com/TJnW9Ko.png
This is why hiding file extensions is bad, and you should turn that off.

Your vpatch is still launching the original th11.exe (displayed as th11), while you renamed your th11boss.exe to th11.exe.exe (which is (in)conveniently displayed as th11.exe). The point is to replace the original th11.exe with the patched one, so rename the original to something else first.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 08:44:44 AM by ark »

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2013, 09:15:23 AM »
Mmm, no, I think I just misunderstood exactly what I need to rename / how the vpatch works. It's working now.

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2013, 01:10:21 PM »
Yessss, you have no idea how happy I am....WHY DID MY COMPUTER HAVE TO BREAK.

*Ahem* I'll make sure to keep this patch in mind once I get back something to play Touhou on.

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2013, 02:09:04 PM »
Naut suggested I replace it with the demo version the night before I posted and then I forgot about it.

Do it. I need to try this out sometime but considering how long I haven't played Touhou, I'm sure even Hard mode will destroy me.

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2013, 07:05:27 PM »
Awesome! Now I want to leave work early to try this :P
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2013, 10:53:24 PM »
edit: nevermind, I went full retard
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 11:21:00 PM by Kaguya »

ark

• みょん
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2013, 08:55:34 AM »
Cleared it. 1.8 lives remaining; would have been 4 if I hadn't died on Okuu's last 2 spells. :c

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2013, 11:28:54 AM »
Yeah, put the demo version Shackles in, pretty please.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:36:58 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2013, 05:39:56 PM »
The Satori rush is ridiculously fun. Thanks a million for including that.
Everything else is very well done. Guess I have to learn to do ten stars legitimately now :(
I finally got ahead!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2013, 06:01:35 PM »
The demos are pretty hilarious, too.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."