Author Topic: What would YOU want to see in a future challenge thread?  (Read 5058 times)

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
What would YOU want to see in a future challenge thread?
« on: July 06, 2014, 05:57:54 PM »
For Mino's Challenges. They mostly revolved around basic scoring or survival.

But I am open to changing things up a bit. Just remember that the completely crazy ideas may be best suited for Karisa's Atypical Challenges.

Anyway, what categories would you guys like to participate in. Survival? Scoring? What game? And what shot types?

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
Re: What would YOU want to see in a future challenge thread?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 08:48:31 PM »
Something that I posted here in a separate thread, but no one actually did it:

ISC:

Shoot the Bullet 2.0: Seija Edition

Clear as many scenes as possible using the camera as your main and sub item.
That's it. Simple as that. I even have a scorefile attached that shows me going through the first three days with only the camera as my main item.

Those who clear all the scenes using the Camera will be named "Master of Impossible Photography."
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:51:14 PM by bigyihsuan »
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 09:07:12 PM »
Not directly related to challenge topics, but I'd like to see more runs submitted, even if they didn't have as much effort as you'd like in them.

I've been trying to do submit random runs myself when challenges are posted, since I feel it helps sustain the challenges (both by promoting friendly competition and by motivating the challenge creators), but it's not enough with only one person.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 09:17:31 PM »
Those who clear all the scenes using the Camera will be named "Master of Impossible Photography."
I for one am not interested in doing this because 10-4 exists. (and 7-4, and a couple others that were huge pains to no item)...If anyone can do this, good for them.  I'll settle for my (no item used)/(doll or camera or orb) clears :V
Yeah, part of the issue is that for several of the scenes, you may as well be doing a no item challenge, which is super-player-tier hard. In fact, since you have to use camera as sub, it's even HARDER than a no item challenge for some of the problem scenes; the wide shot is actually pretty dang important in several of them, or at least quite helpful. There's several cases where the camera just doesn't really help, and the wide shot is just better... and that's on the scenes that are already very hard to clear no-item in the first place.

It's a cool idea, but it doesn't actually make a fun challenge, unfortunately.
I think it's pretty clear why no one went for it before-the camera is stupid effective early, sure, but then you get to scenes where it's useless and it's just not FUN.  And really, shouldn't the challenges be fun?

That's what I want to see, anyway.  Something from ISC with an unorthodox item setup could be a fun little scoring challenge that wouldn't take too much effort,  Beyond that, I don't really see myself going for anything full game for a while (hiatus, go!) but an IN survival challenge might get me interested (anything but Scarlet Team/solo Sakuya/Remilia/Alice).  No promises there, though  :V

Nolegs the Cat

• >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ. >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 10:12:20 PM »
How about runs of a specific game with the purpose of acquiring as much graze as possible? I've been wanting to see something like that on another game ever since I saw a WR run of SA lunatic :V
Only problem is that it'd likely require a lot of planning, and it'd probably/possibly require score-play skill levels...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 10:15:04 PM by Nolegs the Cat »

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 10:31:14 PM »
Anything.

Oh

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 10:41:19 PM »
Scoring.

Edit: using good shot-types.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 10:51:45 PM by Gochuumon wa Syaro desuka? »

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 10:51:54 PM »
Survival challenges are always nice ; stuff like no-miss or no-bombs.

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 10:58:23 PM »
Scoring.
Survival challenges are always nice ; stuff like no-miss or no-bombs.

These, but with non-standard shots (like MoF with MarisaA or SA without ReimuA)

Spoiler:
Also, Easy and Hard exist, you know...

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

Drake

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 11:29:29 PM »
Easy and Hard aren't offered because the number of participants is already low enough that dividing the categories up any further would be ridiculous. There would be little to no competition. Even a player mostly comfortable with Easy modes can try Normal, and a player comfortable with Hard modes could easily try either category.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 11:55:50 PM »
I see what you mean, and agree with you, I just felt like pointing it out mostly to go with my suggestion about shottypes, since on previous challenges that restricted them (DDC's), Lunatic was completely ignored.

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

Ghost

• Fluke dodging is the best tactic.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 12:41:07 PM »
I think like, scoring/survival with some gimmick is good (eg. single stage, some unused shot type, no use of that game's gimmick if applicable, completely unfocused/focused)

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 01:27:25 PM »
[attach=1]

a certain same number;)

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 12:57:13 AM »
No bomb scoring.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 01:06:49 AM »
Random challenge generator. Whole process is in the linked thread, but the RCG itself is attached. You can set certain parameters, and some truly hilarious runs occur.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 07:40:10 AM »
Easy and Hard aren't offered because the number of participants is already low enough that dividing the categories up any further would be ridiculous. There would be little to no competition. Even a player mostly comfortable with Easy modes can try Normal, and a player comfortable with Hard modes could easily try either category.
Increasing available categories can promote participation, though, since people may try it when they wouldn't otherwise. There's already been little to no competition in many rounds because there's simply too few submissions for any competition to exist.

Of course, it's possible to go too far with that too, especially when the idea of a round is to make the game harder than usual. So it depends.

Random challenge generator. Whole process is in the linked thread, but the RCG itself is attached. You can set certain parameters, and some truly hilarious runs occur.
Oh wow, I remember that. It was partly the inspiration for my atypical challenge thread... perhaps I could bring back some of the weirder things like one half of the screen only, or certain combinations of restrictions.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:45:30 AM by Karisa »

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 08:36:54 AM »
No bomb scoring.

I second this idea.
Spoiler:
Especially for TD

Unfortunately due to medical issues, I've not been able to play whatsoever for the past 6 months. Easy difficulty may actually be doable but then again, we come back to the problem of spread out participation. Unless, of course, we allow any difficulty and order them by score without difficulty categories? That would mean people could play the difficulty they wanted to (and of course, get a higher scoring capability from higher difficulties), but would eliminate the participation being spread out too thin. Of course, you can still have categories for each difficulty alongside it.

Visit #sokumaidens on irc.ppirc.net for discussion and matchmaking for a wide variety of fighting games!
Feel free to message me if you need anything!