Author Topic: Mindgate Conspiracies  (Read 5835 times)

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
Mindgate Conspiracies
« on: August 13, 2010, 03:01:20 AM »
Since I seem to be having trouble reliably and consistently posting my updated segments to my stories, I feel I should keep my edge going with what appears to be a bit of a trend here in PSL now; the short story collections. In lieu of Rou, Purvis, and Mysterica, I'm of course open to suggestions, but I will occasionally wander through and add a story all on my own volition.

You may notice that there isn't a story in this particular post. Reason being - it's pretty late and I need to wake up pretty early in the mornin' tomorrow, but by at least starting this thread I'll have no way to talk myself out of writing. Feel free to drop suggestions in the intermittent time - from when I go to bed now, and to when I manage to get back to this thread.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:48:22 AM by Esifex Gonna Eatya »

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
Re: Mindgate Conspiracies
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 03:36:20 AM »
Okay, I lied.

A Day in the Life of...

Despite my house being surrounded by trees, there's still enough leeway to let the sun shine through my window in the morning.

Nevermind that it was well past midnight when I finally went to sleep; I rose with the sun and greeted the new day in my typical fashion.

I set a pot of water on to boil while I took my morning shower; if the past few days were any indication, I'd have a guest as soon as the sun crept a little higher into the sky.

Somewhere in my house I've got a clock hanging; I'm not particularly concerned with the exact time, myself, however. I hung it more for the benefit of my regular visitor - Marisa. A subtle clue to her, as to how much time she spent here. It seemed to work, for the most part - instead of inviting herself to sleep over so often, she actually took note of the time and would excuse herself.

As more of a reflex than a conscious thought, I routed some of my natural magic through my puppeteer rings as I slipped them on. My two primary masterpieces - Shanghai and Hourai - woke from their 'slumber' and began to move about the house. They're almost completely autonomous now - all they need from me is a little direction and a lot of motivation, and they're up and active for a better part of the day.

They would busy themselves continuing my suzuran experiment, tidying the house up, stitching together more of my Edo Pawns, various busy-work tasks. I, meanwhile, would be very preoccupied by my guest, who was due to arrive in the next quarter-hour.

The Riverside Journey of Sirenia - The Higan, and Back. I was nearly finished reading it, which meant I'd be due back to the Voile shortly to return it.

Perhaps I should gather some of the books Marisa keeps stashing here and return those, too; my own shelves are getting over-full.

"Alice, I'm here! Open the door, wouldja?"

Sure enough, right on cue. Hourai comes dashing through the house and heads to the door, admitting Marisa while I busied myself with the tea sets. If Marisa had remembered her part of the deal...

"Sup, Hourai. G'mornin, Alice. I brought the reagents." Unceremoniously, Marisa dumps the contents of a small bag out onto my table.

I feel a flash of irritation as a small bit of driftwood, tied together by a piece of hemp came apart across my tabletop. Thankfully, the rest of the reagents were in small jars.

"Whoops. Crap, hang on..." Marisa goes to gather the still-moist driftwood and bind it back up. I set down the two saucers of tea and begin to check the jars.

"Silverleaf, Tanner's Gift, Felbane, Stardust Blossom... you couldn't find any Terite?" I separate the jars and stand them upright, making them easier to observe.

Marisa looks up at me, confused. "What? No, I'm pretty sure..." She grabs the bag and shakes it once more, and another pair of jars roll out. I spot the Terite powder in the one jar, but the other -

"Whoa. That's not for you." Marisa palms it, and with some sleight of hand pockets it without me spotting which pouch she deposited it in.

"That looked like Ley Man's Feyweed."

"Did it?"

"That's extremely potent, and rare."

"I've heard that, yeah. Imagine it'd be real nice to get my hands on it, though."

Playing coy is Marisa's middle name. "Not just potent, but useful, too. Very, very useful."

"I reckon it is, if it can do half the stuff it's rumored to do. Wonder where we could find some?"

Fine, I'll bite. "That would go a long way towards helping my experiment, Marisa. How much do you want for it?"

Marisa shook her head. "Sorry, Alice. Like I said, this isn't for you. If I find any more, I'll make sure to save some for you, but this batch... nuh-uh."

Damn. "Oh, well. What you've gathered for me here will be more than enough for the first attempt. Ley Man's could come in handy, but later, indeed. I assume you'll want to stay to witness the results?"

Surprisingly, she declines. "Got somewhere I gotta be, y'know. This big ol' bag ain't gonna fill itself." She upends the bag once more, and attempts to turn it inside out. The rim of the bag contorts and twists, preventing the interior of the bag from folding out.

"Fascinating. How'd you pull that off?"

"Little trick I picked up here or there."

"If I look on my bookshelves, am I going to spot any empty spaces?" That looks suspiciously like my own containment magic, the small portals I conjure to call forth my dolls outside of danmaku duels.

"No, no, 'course not! I can learn by seeing things, you know - not just reading."

"Very well. Thank you for the reagents. Would you like me to pour your tea into a thermos?" I nod at her untouched saucer.

She looks down at it, contemplating it for a moment.

I can't understand how she tolerates tea like she does - instead of nursing it, whenever she's in a rush, she'll just pick up the cup and down the entire thing at once, regardless of how hot it is. Being human once, I have a vague idea of how tolerant they can be towards temperature extremes, but I know what Marisa does is masochistic at best, and plain stupid at worst.

"Nah, I'm good." Despite her utter lack of manners and etiquette just a moment before, she politely turns her head and covers her mouth as she lets out a small burp.

I shake my head. "Suit yourself. Make sure you don't terrorize the Voile too much; I plan on going by there myself sometime today, and would like to be greeted as a guest, and not with hostility from the librarians."

"In and out, quiet as a mouse. You know how I work."

"With a complete lack of subtlety and a flair for the dramatic, yes, quite the opposite of being mouse-like."

"Hey, Patchouli seems to think I'm mouse-like."

I resist the urge to smirk. "She calls you a rat, and to your face. How can you think otherwise?"

"Delusions of grandeur, my dear Alice. I'll see you later!"

"Good day. Again, thank you for the reagents."

"Yep. I still owe you, though; if I find more Ley Man's I'll send it your way." She takes a deep breath. "Later, Hourai! Bye, Shanghai!"

I'm not entirely sure why she greets and bids well my dolls; they don't respond to her unless I cause them to, but I'll humor her this time. Shanghai drifts into the kitchenette and waves at Marisa before floating back into my study.

Marisa excuses herself, closing the door with an obnoxious scoop of her foot. I contemplate gathering the reagents she'd brought for me and putting them to use immediately, but decided instead to finish my book and have Hourai store them in my study, next to my suzuran doll.

The experiments and spells can wait until I get to them; for now, I have a fresh cup of tea, and a story to finish reading.

Might possibly continue this one through the rest of her day. Not sure yet. Otherwise, Slice O' Life'd!

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 02:47:38 AM »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 14 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
NO SHUT UP ITS MY THREAD I CAN DO WITH IT AS I PLEASE

Ahem.

Autumn's Festivities

Keine couldn't stop grinning.

The sunrise earlier in the morning had been downright glorious, the air was turning crisp, and best of all, the leaves were starting to change, painting the landscape in brilliant hues of gold and red.

This was the perfect weather for the Autumn's Harvest Festival.

A frantic knocking hammered at Marisa's door, and she looked up from her book in surprise. Outside the door, she could make out a pair of voices shouting and hollering her name, demanding that she open the door already. She casually put the book down on the table and walked over, standing to the side of the door and throwing the latch.

The door burst open, much as she'd predicted, and two faeries came tumbling in. Cirno tried to stop short, but Daiyousei was still going strong and bowled her over.

"Hey, guys! What's up?"

"Marisa!" Cirno grinned up at the magician from the floor. Marisa returned the cocky grin and stuck her hand out to help the ice fairy up.

"I need water learnings!" Cirno planted her fists on her hips and stuck her chest out proudly. Daiyousei leaned around her and giggled. "She means 'science'! We need some water science!"

"What for?" Marisa gingerly pushed the door closed and walked to her bookshelf.

The two fairies practically climbed over each other as they tried to enthusiastically explain themselves. Only brief snippets managed to come out clearly enough for Marisa to make sense of - 'village, harvest, sculpture, freezing,  festival, show-offs'.

Marisa was suddenly finding it hard not to break out into a giggle fit at the two fae. When Daiyousei practically grabbed Cirno and threw her out of the way to assume Cirno's earlier proud stance and declare "It was my idea!" Marisa did in fact give in.

She calmed down enough to pull a book off her bookshelf and offer it to the green fairy. "This is pretty much the only book on science I have. Most of them are magic-related, and I don't think this book has anything specifically about water in it."

Daiyousei looked almost unbearably depressed, staring at the book that no longer seemed like it would help her. Cirno recovered from being shoved aside and came forward, pushing the book back to Marisa. "Then magic! I want some magic that'll keep my ice from melting for like... a year! Forever!"

Marisa straightened up and set the book on top of the shelf. "I don't know about keeping it going that long, but I might be able to help you. First, though, why don't you tell me exactly what it is you have planned - I don't want you girls to be freezing the crops in the human village - everyone will starve."

Daiyousei cheered up at the opportunity to show off her clever idea, and the two faeries ran over to Marisa's table.

Keine took a deep breath, feeling invigorated by the cool edge in the air. The rest of the villagers were well underway in setting up the festival, putting out pavilions and lining carts and wagons up to start moving produce. Barrels were being rolled into place for the inevitable quantities of wine that would be pressed later that evening.

"Keeeiiiiiine!" a voice sang out. From the village gates, a crimson and yellow blur came dashing towards her.

Shizuha slid to a stop, bare feet gouging burrows into the dirt, and then she threw her arms around Keine. "How've you been? Are you looking forward to tonight?"

Keine pried herself free from the energetic Goddess' grip. "Come on now, what do you think? All the years' labors growing and tending the fields culminates tonight. What's not to look forward to?"

"Great! Minoriko is right behind me. I'm gonna go help everyone set up!" Shizuha stepped back and patted the dirt smooth with her feet where she'd disturbed it, then sprinted off towards the cluster of pavilions being set up.

Sure enough, coming through the main gate was the more docile Aki sister. She raised her hand in greeting, and Keine waved back.

As Minoriko strode up alongside Keine, the guardian turned and walked with her. "So, am I to take it you're the one responsible for that rainfall in the middle of a cloudless week?"

Minoriko gave a conspiratorial wink. "I'm the Goddess of the Bountiful Harvest. It wouldn't be fitting if it was a Meager Harvest, or a Typical Harvest. Besides, the lands needed the rain anyways, not just the crops. A single day of rain to offset a week of -"

She was cut off as two faeries ran past them, stopped, and turned around. Keine blinked. "Cirno? Daiyousei? Are you here for the festival?"

Cirno pointed at Minoriko. "You think you're cooler than winter and Letty?" She grinned widely for a moment before continuing. "Well, do you think you're cooler than ICE?!" Daiyousei pumped her fists enthusiastically. "Yeah, Cirno! Way to go!"

The two faeries ran off towards the pavilions.

Keine stared at them for a moment before she jumped. "We should get them."

Minoriko nodded, staring after them as well. "Yeah. I'm not so sure leaving them alone would be a good idea, either."

Shizuha heaved on an anchor line, pulling the entire central support beam upright. Several of the men who'd been struggling with the heavy beam of wood cheered her, then began to drive the anchors surrounding the massive tent into the ground, giving the pavilion its structure.

"Leafy!" A voice directly behind her shouted, and she turned around, smiling.

"That's a cute nickna - huh? Faeries? Hi!"

Cirno was standing before her, arms crossed over her chest, feet a little further than shoulder-width apart.

Shizuha began to kneel down to put herself a little more on-level with the short ice fairy and greet her, but just as she started to she felt her hairband come free.

"I got it, Cirno! Come on!" Daiyousei darted past, flitting through the air out from under the pavilion. Cirno's icicle wings fanned out, and she took to the air as well, laughing at the goddess' confusion.

Shizuha plucked another maple leaf from her sleeve and shook it, and it blurred into a hairband. "At least the faeries are playful in the colder weather! That's nice."

Keine spotted Daiyousei and Cirno fly out from under the canopy of the main pavilion and head towards some empty space between the tents and the carts. At least she's not going to do anything to the supplies. Yet.

As she and Minoriko came closer to the faeries, Cirno spotted them. She pointed at the Harvest Goddess and began laughing. "All you can do is pick your plants! That's not cool at all! In the winter, you can build snowmen, and have snowball fights, and watch the snow fall, and skate on the lake, and do all kinds of stuff! Your sister makes autumn look cooler than you do, and now we have her hat!"

Minoriko smirked. "Shizuha doesn't wear a hat."

Cirno's triumphant grin vanished instantly. "What?"

The Harvest Goddess nodded. "Nope. It's a hairband. There's a difference."

Cirno glanced aside, a look of concentration on her face. Keine watched her for any signs of activity; when Cirno got confused, one could expect strange - and often, ice-related - outbursts from the fairy.

Cirno finally turned back to the Goddess, grinning again. "Yeah well that's not important anymore, cuz we're gonna show you how much cooler ice and winter is than autumn! I'm gonna freeze her hat, all big and stuff!"

Minoriko tilted her head. "But it's not a hat. We went over this."

Cirno frowned for a second, and Keine almost thought that Minoriko had successfully trumped the ice fairy.

"Don't care!" the fairy shouted. "Dai! Now, throw the hat!"

The green fairy flicked her wrist, and Shizuha's hairband spun through the air. Cirno whirled around to face it, and brandished a spellcard.

Keine tensed up and nearly dashed forward to tackle the fairy, but the spellcard blinked out of existence before she could do anything.

The hairband froze, literally - it stopped in midair, encased in ice, maple leaf pointing to the sky, hairband to the ground. Cirno closed her hands into fists and dropped into a centered pose, fists at her hips, knees bent, and then punched forward. Concentric rings of ice magic whirled and looped around her hands.

With a dull thump, the ice grew tenfold over, and the hairband was lost inside a giant maple leaf ice sculpture, with the hairband itself acting as the sculpture's anchors, gouging deep into the ground.

Keine blinked in surprise. The sculpture was actually very nice; the maple leaf looked to be made out of crystal, and was tilted just enough to be artistically aesthetic. Better yet, Cirno had decided to plant it where it'd be noticeable, but either by design or coincidence, was still enough out of the way not to impede with the nights' festival.

Cirno took off, pausing for just a moment to call down at Minoriko, "Ha! See? Leaves are the cool part of autumn, not your dumb hot potatoes!" With that, she fled the village, Daiyousei trailing behind her, giggling happily.

Beside Keine, Minoriko buried her face in her hand. "Oh, god, that's what this is about?"

Keine smiled at the ice sculpture. "I think the leaf looks pretty nice, don't you? And what do you mean, 'that's what this is about'?"

Minoriko sighed. "I honestly should've known beforehand that she was an ice fairy and wouldn't like a hot potato, but I gave her one anyways. Apparently she burnt herself on it, being an ice fairy and all."

Keine grinned. "Ah, well. She's had her revenge, I'm sure she'll get over it."

Cirno's voice echoed down from the sky faintly. "Ice is cooler than autumn! Ha, ha!"
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:58:20 AM by SHF »

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 03:37:03 AM »
Season fight, season fight :dragonforce:

That was adorable.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 07:38:03 AM »
Marisa Dresden

My name is Marisa Kirisame. Conjure by it at your own risk.

For a long time running, I'd been Gensokyo's only openly practicing Magician. A few newcomers to the block have forced me to change that slightly; now, I'm Gensokyo's only openly practicing human Magician. While you can usually bet dollars to donuts that some of the nasties from the supernatural side of Gensokyo - the Nevernever - are blatantly hostile, there are in fact quite a few benevolent preternaturals.

Take Kedama the Plushy, for example. An inherited spirit of intellect, previously held by my former instructor in the ways of magic - The Greatest Magician, Mima. I inherited the spirit after Mima's untimely passing, brought on by a severe case of underestimating her star pupil and subsequent flash incineration. It's a real nasty bug, but thankfully, it's pretty rare.

Kedama, however, could be a bit of a smartass, sometimes, and had this obscene fascination with sappy doujins and fanfics. While he is an embodiment of vast cosmic knowledge, having to pay him in steamy fanfiction starring some of the very people I know could be a bit unsettling, and sometimes he refused to help me until I provided what he wanted or released him from his fuzzball plushy shelter to go find his own entertainment.

"I'm just saying, it'd be absolutely horrendous if this potion ended up making your target, like, completely immune to magic and, say, a dozen times faster and stronger, instead of blowing them up. I might need something to help me remember the proper recipe."

I sighed and resisted the urge to smash the fuzzball with a heavy grimoire. "And exactly how is smutty Yumemi-and-Shikieiki fanfiction supposed to help you remember?"

The plushy bobbed up and down on the tabletop. "Easy! Yumemi is a scientist, so she's always doing alchemical stuff, and Shikieiki is a judge. She's talented at balancing scales, so that way I can get the dosage right."

I stared long and hard at the plushy. Being a plushy, it wasn't exactly able to return my contemptuous sneer, but the glowing eyelights that marked Kedama's presence twinkled mischievously. The plushy continued its fool's grin at me.

"One of these days, I'm going to learn the recipes and manage to remember them myself. No matter if the will and effort spells being dumped into them makes them hard to retain; hell, I could render you obsolete with a pen and paper."

The plushy nodded. "And until then, I'm gonna milk you for all the slashfics and lemons I can, and in the meantime, provide you with excellent advice on putting down youkai and crafting new spells. So, since that day is evidently not here yet, do we have a deal?"

I sighed again, and this time, gave in to the urge to smush the plushy a little with a nearby grimoire. "Fine, fine, I'll see what I can dig up."

"Y'know, boss, it might be easier if you let me out to find it, myself. I have a talent, you know."

And it'd give me some free time, since Kedama obviously wasn't going to help me until I got him his smut. "Fine, you can leave your confines for the sole purpose of finding your new blight upon paper, and then returning immediately after you've acquired it. I'm going out, too. When I get back, you're going to help me with this next batch of bomb potions. Got it?"

"Of course, of course! Have fun!" With that, the glowing eyelights faded, and a sparkling cloud of candle flame-colored light drifted out of the Kedama plushy and zipped out through the window.

At least spirits of intellect don't have mass, or the ability to shatter windows on their way through. Because they also lack the capacity to open them.

Short on hard spending money, but easy on time, I decided to head to Mystia's Pub. Located on the outskirts of the hustle and bustle of the Human Village, Mystia's was a quaint little place that perfectly lived up to the definition of 'pub'. An old-fashioned wood grill, perfectly set up for cooking anything your heart could desire - and after trying just one, your heart usually desired more of Mystia's phenomenal lamprey - with flasks and flasks of Mystia's very own brand of sake. Rumor had it that she'd learned some techniques for distilling the rice liquor from the oni, but neither Mystia nor the oni would confirm or deny them. A bit of Mystia's warm sake next to a tray of her gourmet lamprey could turn any day for a brooding Magician into something more tolerable.

Like days spent dealing with fussy spirits.

I descended into Mystia's, ducking my head as I came through the door so as not to knock my hat off on the lazily spinning ceiling fan. Mystia had decorated the place with thirteen erratically placed wooden pillars, each decorated with hand-carved scenes espousing the tales and adventures of the local shrine maiden. My personal favorite was the one featuring the flying saucers; I had a hand in a lot of the incidents portrayed on those pillars, but the saucers were just way too much fun to chase after. There's a small cameo of yours truly on that pillar, though it's not in great detail and you have to actually look to find it.

In the corner, two Goddesses, in warm autumn colors, sat at a table playing shogi. Nearly every time I came in here, they were at it. Nearer to the door, two more Goddesses sat with a bottle of Mystia's Sake between them, lazily whiling away the time. Mortal concerns clearly did not concern them, unless curses or war were involved. I tipped my hat towards them; they were the deities backing another local shrine maiden, and I didn't like to be on their bad side. It was hard enough dealing with Reimu, who was in charge of the supernatural side of youkai extermination - getting the spiritual side of investigation angry at me has more often than not left me with obstacles instead of allies.

See? I step into a tavern, and already there are four Goddesses. That's why the distinction about being the only openly practicing human Magician is so important. You've really gotta stick to your guns when you've got talent like that swinging around over your head.

Mystia herself stood at behind the counter, idly staring off into space and wiping the bartop with a cloth white enough to be called bridal. I waved lazily in greeting, and she grunted back without bothering to even focus her eyes.

"Hey. Bottle of sake and a skewer of lamprey, if you'd be so kind." I reached into a pocket and drew out a pair of coins, and set them rolling across the counter towards her. She absently whipped the cloth over them, and they disappeared. Finally seeming to take note of me, she nodded at me and turned towards the grill. "You were followed," she mumbled. Mystia doesn't usually talk to me, as such. Not since a little misunderstanding several many nights past. She takes my coin, serves me food, but tends to try to stay detached from any of my business now.

I sat down at the bar and listened carefully. Sure enough, I heard the dull clicking noise of wooden slats on wooden floors working its way through the room. Based on Mystia's insistence that said person was following yours truly, and the wooden slats, I took a fairly confident shot in the dark.

"Mrs. Shameimaru, pleased to have you join us. Have a seat, I'll treat you to some sake while refusing to feed your gossip mill."

The footsteps halted for a second. Even though Aya Shameimaru had just as much of an investigative mind as I do, even she fell prey to the same trap most normal humans do when they're dealing with me. They attribute my apparent omnipotent knowledge to something arcane; I 'magically' knew it was Aya approaching me. No, it wasn't because I knew she wears geta and walks with a long, confident stride and I could hear her footsteps across the wooden floor.

"Hmm. Guess I'll have to stop wearing so much perfume if you're able to smell me coming like that."

Hmm. Close, Aya. Maybe she doesn't necessarily attribute everything I do to magic.

"Whatever tickles your fancy. So, what's new? Some faerie uprising you want me to quash? The latest details on the forbidden romance between a ghost and her executioner? Werewolves on the lam?"

"Actually, I'm here as a favor."

My stomach dropped. Aya wouldn't consider doing someone a favour unless she was being paid in riches, gossip, or knew she was getting back more than she was putting in. Sometimes all three. That I was involved could only be bad news. She'd been wanting to get as much information as she could about my hakkero and broom enchantments, find a way to reverse engineer it so the average human could make use of them. Whatever she got out of this favor was likely aimed at getting under my skin.

"Hakurei wanted me to fetch you and bring you down to the shrine."

I blew out a breath. "Stars and sparks, it's my day off. What does Haku want with me?"

Aya snorted. "You're self-employed. It's always your day off until the bills start piling up. She didn't tell me much, just that something involving the Puppeteer had popped up and that she'd tell me the next step in disarming the wards into your house if I came and fetched you."

Hell's bells. Now I had to add another layer of wards - that'd bring it up to roughly eighteen different spells barring entry to the house.

"Ugh. You don't get any sake, then, if you're here on business. It's bad form for you to drink on the job."

"How about I foot the bill for your lunch there, since you're about to go and see the shrine maiden. You don't want to show up completely sauced, do you? I'll just take the bottle of sake from you. I'm done working in an official capacity now, I can drink however I want to."

"You weave words into unbreakable spells. You bind my actions and strip away my free will. You are a fiend and a scourge upon Gensokyo. Enjoy the sake, I'll take the lamprey to the shrine."

Aya grinned at me as I rose from the bar.

So much for time off, and spending the day relaxing with some alchemy. Something had come up with Alice, and Hakurei wanted my expert opinion on the matter?

Well, why not. Marisa Kirisame - Human Magician, and Incident Investigator - is on the job.

I gnawed mindlessly on the skewer of lamprey I'd liberated from Aya's appetite. Alice was an acquaintance of mine - a fellow Magician. Her raw magical prowess wasn't quite up to par with mine, which is saying something, because she's a Youkai. Despite her lower power threshold, she is far more skilled at focusing what she's got than I am.

Don't get me wrong. I just happen to like solving my problems quickly, so what if it's a little messier. Giant lasers work just as well as tying your problem up, right?

There's a dirty joke in there somewhere, but I'd rather save it for when Alice is actually around.

Alice usually handled the smaller side of the magical world; things that were too small or delicate for my admittedly heavy-handed touch were right on par with her style. If it escaped my notice because of how low-key it was, Alice took care of it.

Reimu Hakurei, however - the primary Shrine Maiden in Gensokyo - handled things of a less magical nature, and dealt mostly with human problems. She kept things from the Magic side from bleeding over into mundane human world, and occasionally called for my assistance. If she needed me for something involving Alice, I had to admit, I was a little worried. Our disparate skillsets usually meant we were unsuited for helping each other; Alice usually didn't like it when I stuck my nose into her business, and I personally think her methods take too long or aren't thorough enough.

Reimu was supposed to be the go-between; she has more than enough natural talent to handle anything I have to deal with, and enough finesse to be able to keep Alice on the sidelines. The only thing that kept her from handling everything ever was her apathy towards Magic (and in turn, the Nevernever), and her grasp of Magic Theory.

Of course, this is Gensokyo, and entirely too much happens here for just three people to handle on our own. Most of the people in the Human Village don't notice most of it, but the off-hand jokes I made to Aya as she came into Mystia's - faerie uprisings, ghosts, werewolves - have better odds than not of happening. Or having happened.

I know a few ghosts, after all.

Reimu's shrine managed to put itself in front of my feet, which is incredibly lucky for me, because I'd been so lost in thought that I really wasn't paying much attention to where I was going. Dangerous, typically, but at this point, most of the Magical creatures know better than to try to get the drop on me. My Orrerie's bracelet has as much of a reputation as I do at this point.

Hakurei herself was leaning against the torii gate at the top of the stairs. She was probably waiting for me, but she wasn't actually watching down the stairs. If I'd brought my broom with me, I could've flown up the stairs silently and landed next to her.

Maybe next time. Oh well, no point in lollygagging around anymore. I start up the stairs.

I make it maybe three steps up before I get tackled from behind. I only barely manage to twist to the side, saving my head from an intimate meeting with the hard stone step, and take the hit to the shoulder instead.

"Orrerie's Suns!" I manage to grunt out. Around the bracelet, four orbs of concentrated magic spring into existence, and a barrier of the same bursts out of my skin.

The barrier shoves the faery off my back, and redirects the energy of the next strike - a big honking tree branch swung at me by two other faeries.

The Orrerie's Suns shunts the pressure into the ground under me, and a few of the stairs crack from the force. The tree branch itself breaks across me, and the two faeries that were holding it go cartwheeling through the air, clutching the splintered wood between them.

Thanks to the shield hovering around me, the branch doesn't do much more than piss me off a little bit, and I sit upright. The original faerie had backpedaled a bit to make room for the bludgeon, but beyond her I saw another pair of faeries pooling some magic together between them.

The pixies were going to try to shoot a spell at me? What little pricks!

"Infans Solaris!" I flailed an angry gesture at the faeries, and twin orbs of light rush out of the air in front of me at them. About a second into their life, they burst into flame, and began to corkscrew around each other.

The faeries managed to split away at the last possible second - a nasty habit they had, and were extremely talented at - but the Solaris spell was designed with that contingency in mind.

It exploded, violently.

The pressure wave made the trees on either side of the pathway lean out, and some of the smaller plants nearer to the ground flash ignited from the heat. My Orrerie's Suns popped down to two orbs around the bracelet - half shield strength remaining.

The Solaris spell shouldn't have gone off that explosively, but apparently the magic the faeries were conjuring up had persisted long enough to be consumed. The faeries themselves were thrown about the small clearing at the base of the stairs, one of whom ended up head-first in a tree trunk.

I climbed back to my feet and shook my Orrerie's bracelet out, letting it settle around my wrist a little better. My other hand dipped into a pocket sewn into the waist of my dress, and I drew out a short wand.

Really, it's a dagger, but after what I've done to it, it's a wand now.

"Come on, gals, let's see how you like some iron-based danmaku! Who wants to go first?"

At the mention of iron, the faeries - save for the one face-deep in a tree - all back away from me as one. "That's what I thought. Now, be good little girls and go back home, and maybe I won't kill you for reals, and I'll just use regular magic so you can respawn."

Before I can make good on either threat, though, Reimu lands next to me. She brandishes her gohei for a second, holding a pose that I'm sure has some fancy name in tai-chi like 'Eight Breaths Flow Through Bountiful Crops' or something, then leaps for the nearest faery.

For not being very Magical, herself, she sure packs enough of a wallop to have a lasting effect on Fey and Magic creatures. The gohei whips back and forth, and the faery is spun around in midair with two red-hot lines rapidly rising on her flesh, then drops straight down. Reimu lashes out with a single foot and punts the faery at her comrade stuck in the tree, and the impact dislodges her and they both fall to the ground in a heap.

"Begone! Remove yourselves! Run! If I must, I will fight! I will maim! I will kill!" she barks at the faeries.

Her gohei, combined with my dagger wand, compels the faeries to shove off. They turn away from us as one, and with a wave of their hands, tear open a hole in reality and scramble through it, escaping into the Nevernever.

I exhale, letting out a massive breath, and release the Orrerie's Suns spell. The barrier around me fades out of existence, and the visible representation orbiting my wrist disappears with a burst of static.

Reimu looks at the wand in my hand. "Since when did you start carrying knives?"

"Since when did you finally start promising things in triplicate to the Fey?"

Reimu straightens up as well, and the tension drops from her body almost effortlessly. Her shoulders slouch noticeably, and the tip of the gohei drops to the ground. "Since I saw about a dozen and a half more coming up through the trees towards you. Didn't feel like playing the long-and-hard version today. Got too much other shit to talk about."

"Aya mentioned that. Something about Alice?"

Reimu nodded, then gestured up the stairs with her gohei. "Come on up. I have some tea waiting, we'll discuss it in the shrine."

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 09:00:32 PM »
14 days? More like UR FACE

So I suggested a prompt for the Weekly Writing Challenge that centered around inserting music into the story and doing your best to make it work. Because of a combined lack of decent timing, being too self-critical of what I could put together, and a very nasty bout of depression flaring up, I never actually submitted anything to the prompt that I myself put up.

Decided I'd at least put the one I thought up best to text and throw it to the wolves, see if they eat it.

Here goes. If the link should eventually die (a la Autumn's Festivities' song, Allen's Bar by Barrage) the linked song is Dark Harbour by Two Steps from Hell.

Makai

Shinki sighed, resting her chin on the knuckles of her fist. That young magician and upstart shrine maiden had managed to best all of her most skilled magicians and warriors, including her majordomo, Yumeko. Her youngest, Alice, had even taken up arms, but thankfully was let down with just a case of wounded pride.

Shinki herself had been defeated. How humbling, to realize your power isn't quite absolute. Oh, sure, she could always turn the force of her full power on them, but the cost for that would be too great. No, better to just eat some crow and send the intruders on their way with their spoils. Time heals all wounds, including pride.

She was chuckling to herself over the irony of the situation - a miko, a vessel for the gods, defeating a literal Goddess, now standing just outside the throne room, cheering her good fortune with her magician friend - and didn't immediately register someone walking past her throne.

She looked up just in time to see Alice pushing the door to the throne room shut, with a fierce look in her eye, saying "Don't worry, Mama. I'll finish them for you."

Shinki froze. Clutched to her daughters' chest was the Grimoire. The ramifications would be -

The doors swung shut with an echoing boom, and Shinki couldn't help but feel that more than just the weight of the doors made them sound so final.

"Oh, Alice. You don't know what you've done..."

Shinki was almost entertaining the hope that maybe, just maybe, her daughter would have the ability and talent to wield the Grimoire without it killing her. Maybe she'd take out the miko and the magician while she was at it, but Shinki wouldn't care - just so long as her daughter was alright.

Who does a Goddess pray to? A small sob escaped Shinki.

A feeling of emptiness had settled into her stomach and had sapped the sensation from her limbs, leaving her numb and staring off into space, eyes unfocused. The sounds of magic being thrown around had made it through the door - which was inevitable. Alice had the Grimoire. She wouldn't have been able to touch it without being compelled to use it. She may already be dead, but not know it yet.

The sounds stopped abruptly. Shinki closed her eyes, and sunk into her throne. She felt the weight of decades, centuries, suddenly catch up to her.

The door slammed open, and Alice ran through, clutching the Grimoire to her chest still. Her eyes were red and puffy, and she was sniffling constantly.

Shinki threw herself out of the throne and caught Alice as she ran up to the throne, and pulled her into a hug. "Oh, Alice, my love, it's alright. You didn't have to do that. Oh, you didn't have to do that. You're alright. You're alright. It's alright. It's alright. Go to your room, love, I'll be there shortly. I need to talk to our, hmm, guests."

Alice nodded, dabbed her eyes on Shinki's sleeve, and quite unceremoniously wiped her nose on the same spot, before pulling herself free from Shinki's grasp. It was a struggle - Shinki didn't want to let go, despite bidding her to leave.

Once Alice's little feet had carried her behind the throne and into the rooms behind it, Shinki straightened herself and ran her hands down her dress. As she did, the wrinkles and burns that she'd gained while dueling the intruders faded.

With steel in her spine, she strode forward, and flung a hand at the doors.

They slammed open, startling the miko and the magician on the other side, freezing them both mid-celebration.

As Shinki tapped into her power, her celestial wings unfurled behind her and began to snap and pop with barely contained energy. The magician girl glanced past the shrine maiden, shooting a look towards the far side of the room, which would lead back out of Pandaemonium.

The walls bled black. Stained glass windows shrieked as they melted into jagged red lines, before those, too, faded to black.

"You will not leave." Shinki felt her hands ball into tight fists. Blood oozed past her fingernails, where they'd pierced her palms. "Not until I've said my peace."

The shrine maiden glared at her. "Hey, we won fair and square. You admitted de-"

A lash of blue lightning arced out from one of Shinki's wings and snapped around the girl's throat, choking her words short and lifting her off the ground. "Not. Until. I've. Spoken." Shinki returned the girl's insolent glare, and threw her to the ground.

With each step Shinki took towards the pair, lines of lightning jumped between her foot to the ground before them. Each impact sent up a plume of dust and threw a web of cracks through the floor.

The magician girl tried to back away from her, but ran short against the wall. The shadows had crept closer, forming a prison around the three of them. She stared up at Shinki, trying to shrink away from her, hands crawling over the wall in an attempt to find a weakness, a crack in the cocoon.

"You hurt my little girl. My precious little Alice. You beat her, and in doing so, robbed her of her pride. Humility is a learning experience. I think it is time you became a little more experienced."

Shinki shifted her glare back to the shrine maiden, who was pushing herself off the ground and rubbing at the reddened skin of her neck.

"I don't care which one of you sent her back to my throne, crying, either the first time or this second time."

She stopped her implacable march towards the terrified magician, and with one last pronounced stomp, planted her feet to the tune of thunder and shattered stone.

"What I do care about, however, is what she was driven to do. Wrong though she was to cling to her pride as she did, it was still in direct response to your actions."

The magician sank to the floor, back against the wall, eyes widened.

"You are right to fear me. I could destroy both of you. You are in Makai. I created it. This is my land. That was my daughter. The fear you feel now?"

Shinki spat on the ground.

"It is nothing to what I felt when I watched my daughter walk past me, to challenge you again, carrying with her a bane to life - the Grimoire. Despite her being my daughter, I am now forced to exile her."

She shook her head, and blinked furious tears from her eyes, unshamed by the tracks they left on her face. "There is no way to seperate the Grimoire from her now. It is too dangerous to stay in Makai. It won't mix well with the natural magic that is here, the magic that you so foolishly sought to claim for your own."

She glared at the cowering magician, and her wings grew, doubling in size, tripling. They curled forward and reached towards both intruders, tongues of primal magic power snapping and arcing off of them, leaving small motes of light where they struck the walls of the shadow prison.

"You did this. You, in your arrogance, your lust for power, drove my daughter to defend my honor, and in doing so, nearly killed herself. Surviving the Grimoire was a one in a million chance. Be you thankful that she did, or I would rip Makai apart for the cost of destroying your very core - ripping your body limb from limb, cell from cell, digging down to your very soul until I've scattered even that to the wind."

Shinki drew her arms around herself, and her wings shrunk back to their normal size.

"The fear you feel, in awe of my power? It is nothing compared to the fear of Mother's Nightmare. I thought I'd lost my daughter for good. Even now, I'm still losing her for fact. She will be exiled to Gensokyo."

She shook her head wistfully. "She'll be living near the likes of you. I am loathe to even think of it, but it is necessary. So you should consider this very, very carefully. I will know - immediately - if you do anything to her. If anything happens to her. If I even believe you are responsible for any ills befalling her, I will stop at nothing - not even my own personal destruction - to avenge her upon you."

She lashed out to her side with her clenched fist, and the shadows shattered like brittle glass.

"Now, go. Remove yourselves from my sight. Take your spoils and leave Makai. I will honor your victory - but only just so. It is a minor aggrievance to me, compared to what you've done, and what you may be foolish enough to later do, to my daughter."

She pointed at the doors on the far side of the hall, and willed them open. She held the pose, a statue backed by writhing power snapping from her wings, energy barely restrained, until the miko and magician both pulled themselves off the floor and bolted. As soon as they were clear, she slammed the doors shut, with far more force than necessary, but not nearly enough to satisfy her.

"Oh, Alice, my poor, dear, daughter. What a fool we've both been, to let these whelps aggravate us so."

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 09:20:16 PM »
NEED AUTHOR BLOOD
MUST STAVE OFF LACK OF WRITING ENTHUSIASM

Oh, how about a mix of steampunk and quasi-tech Touhou? Sure!

This is just something to get me warmed up, and to put the beginnings of a story down. I'm hoping that having it hanging around will give me the motivation to continue working on it, because I do have a few concepts I want to play around with on this story. Not 100% sure on the story direction entirely, but I can kind of NaNoWriMo this booger - smash out some kind of a story and go through and fix it later, when I've got a big enough body to go all Frankenstein on.

Presenting, Rocketeer Reimu And Her Incredible Turtle-Designed Flight Pack!

Reimu twirled the cloth rag around her hand a few times before tossing it into the bucket set aside specifically for oily towels.

?You?re sure this oil won?t streak or cloud up mid-flight? Can?t see, can?t fight ? or steer. If I smash into the ground and kill myself, I?m going to come back and haunt you, Genji. Forever. I know how long you turtle youkai live, and I know all those little things that drive you crazy.?

The accusation brought a delighted chuckle out of the other person in the garage. ?Pfhaw, Reimu. You?ll be fine. This stuff is hydrophobic ? even if you?re flying through a rainstorm, the water will bead up and slip off. And as long as you don?t buff the helmet too much, it shouldn?t rub off, either.?

?If I?m flying through a rainstorm, I imagine my speed alone will be enough to keep the water off my view slots. How?s the generator coming along? Can I get any more continuous fire going??

Genji leaned back and pushed one of the many magnifying lenses on his glasses away from his eyes. ?Well, without a proper test, I won?t know exactly how much longer you can squeeze the trigger before letting the system cool down, but I think I may have worked another seven or eight seconds into it. I?ll need to work on better heat dissipation if you want endless shooting capacity. That or get you to agree on even less engine performance while spraying ammo everywhere.? He tapped his needlepointed screwdriver against the outer case of the flightpack. ?I?m working on adding compressed-air nozzles to give you better quick-turns and rolls. Let me know when you want to try them out; I don?t want you to black out in the middle of a fight because you gave yourself whiplash or threw yourself into an aileron roll or Immelman turn on an empty stomach or something stupid.?

Reimu gently lowered the sleek helmet onto its stand and stepped back to admire it. ?Let me get a snack or something to keep my blood sugar up or whatever it is you want me to do. I?ll be ready in about twenty minutes, if you think you can get that thing buttoned up and ready to go by then??

Genji smiled warmly. ?Pfhaw. It?ll be ready for you. And remember not to gorge yourself. Empty stomach, full stomach ? both are bad ideas at high-gs. I?d rather not have to clean up the inside of that helmet while you?re sick in bed.? The nearly ancient youkai ran his hand along the clamshell shape of the flightpack. ?If you?d be so kind as to put on a pot of tea for me while you?re eating, too, that?d be a nice treat for when you?re in the air.?

Despite her mask of aloof disregard for Genji?s warnings and suggestions, Reimu was careful in making sure ever clasp and belt was as tight as it needed to be ? the least amount of slack or give in her skin suit, the better. Clipping on the rigid framework necessary to mount the flightpack to her back ate up more of her estimated twenty minutes than actually chomping down on her sweetbread.

She had just pushed the kettle over the modest fire for Genji?s tea and started to tighten the shoulder braces that her helmet would lock into when she turned to head back towards the garage, and ran completely into Yukari?s chest and began to fall backwards.

Reimu quickly thrashed a hand about, untangling it from the straps and clasps she?d been working with, and lunged forward and grabbed onto Yukari to arrest her fall. Her hand clamped around Yukari?s throat, which didn?t even cause a raised eyebrow in annoyance. Instead, still smirking at her little prank, the sage youkai reached out and helped Reimu steady herself.

?Jerk. What was that for? Nevermind, I know why you did it, why are you here??

?Came to watch your new equipment test thing. Whatever the two of you are calling it.?

Reimu laughed. ?Not content to just spy through one of your peepholes? Well, I?m sure Genji could appreciate the company while I?m airborne. You know the rules, of course ??

?Don?t touch anything, don?t open wormholes around you while you?re flying, don?t throw fruit into your path, so on and so forth. I brought the entire list just in case I forget something, or we need to add a new rule. Do you think Genji would prefer tea or some sake??

?Nowadays, I think he?s more inclined for tea. Especially while we?re working. Either way, unless you brought a few bottles with you, you should know better than to offer him a drink unless you were content to stay dry and sober yourself. He forgets to share sometimes. Come along, we?re about ready to take off.?

Yukari nodded. ?I know. I have been watching through one of my little peepholes, of course. I think it?s so cute how you?ve dreamt this whole thing up so you can fly without magic ? very impressive use of your talents, indeed. I can?t wait to see what else you can do with it.?

Reimu rolled her eyes as she marched through the shrine and stepped outside. By the time she reached the garage, her off-white skin suit was decorated with mounting clasps and belt loops for tightening other equipment down. Without the rest of her flightpack and everything that went with it, she felt oddly light and exposed. She put the concern out of her mind, though, comfortable with the fact that that was about to change.

Genji didn?t look up as she swung the door open. ?Yukari?s here. She wants to watch with you.?

?Pfhaw. She remembers the rules, I hope. Come here, take a look ? I?ve mounted the control nubs for the maneuvering jets on the interior side of your index fingers? knuckles, so you can just flick your thumb across them to fire them. They?ll only thrust for as long as the nub is off-center, and it snaps back into place on its own. Since these things are only pushing your body mass around, they won?t need to fire for very long to affect your flight. There?s a series of the nozzles aimed in each direction, mounted to specific parts of your gear, which will correspond to whichever direction you push the nub in.?

?They won?t interfere with the armament triggers?? Reimu peered over Genji?s shoulder, trying to look down at his handiwork. It wasn?t an easy task, considering the youkai?s broad shoulders ? she barely managed catch a glimpse of the new control sticks Genji was talking about before he set the gauntlets aside.

?No. Come here, they need to be hooked into the mounting rig before the actual pack is latched on.?

Yukari perched herself atop a stool and watched the process of Reimu putting on the rest of her gear. The sturdy, but articulated boots with the streamlined shape across the calves but slightly winged appearance to the feet ? the gauntlets that mounted all the way up past the elbows, again articulated but streamlined, with swollen bumps just above the wrists, and guards to prevent the hands from extending upwards ? the way the shoulder-pads seemed to go from being belt-laden and tangled looking to smooth, hugging to the curves of Reimu?s torso without constricting or binding her up to a certain point of flexibility.

Finally, Genji lifted the flightpack off his workbench and brought it to Reimu. As he settled it onto her back, letting it clip into the shoulder pads, she pulled her helmet off its stand and held it in her hands for a moment. She turned it this way and that, admiring the distorted reflections of the garage. As soon as she heard Genji throw the last clasp and finish plugging all the guide lines into the flightpack, she lowered the helmet over her head and made the final seal herself.

Reimu turned to face Yukari, as Genji went to go crank the main door open. ?Look here ? a touch we thought you might appreciate.? She tapped the middle of her chest plate, indicating the trigram that matched the one in the middle of Yukari?s fan. The black pictograph stood out starkly against the glossy red of the rest of her actual flight gear, adding just a tiny amount of contrast in addition to the reflective black of her helmet.

?Oh, how pleasant! Is that as a ?thank you? for helping you with the whatsitcalled you put inside it?? Yukari rocked back on the stool and gestured happily at the marking.

Genji snorted. ?You helped us find a small-scale generator light enough to fly and don?t even know what it?s called? Sure you?re not a savant youkai?? He threw a brightly painted lever upright, and a compressor began hissing and chugging across the garage. The large aluminum door irised open, and a part of the roof retracted away to keep pace with the doors retreat. Genji glanced at the tank sitting atop the compressor while the door rattled open. ?Huh. Steam pressure seems to be getting low. I?ll see about topping that off tonight.? He shrugged and turned, marching over to stand just beside and slightly behind Yukari. ?You?re all clear, Reimu. Go catch some clouds.?

Underneath the mirrored helmet, Reimu grinned, and pumped her fists down. The generator inside the clamshell flightpack spun to life, and the guide lights rimming her gear lit up, bathing the garage in a lambent glow. She flashed Yukari and Genji a thumbs-up, turned to face the open door, coiled slightly by bending the knees, then leapt into the air.

A heartbeat later, the main thruster kicked on, and Reimu went hurtling out of the garage, breaking hard for the sky and peeling up and away from the shrine grounds.

The backwash would?ve knocked Yukari and her stool over backwards, but Genji had simply held a hand out to catch the sage youkai, bracing her against the sudden gale. Yukari laughed in delight as Reimu vanished skywards.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 12:16:21 AM »
Rocketeer Reimu Meets Skyflier And High Flyer Marisa And Her Outstanding Diesel Powered Dirigible!

In a half a heartbeat, Reimu cleared the treeline. She kept climbing, scrambling for altitude, and grinning madly. Who needs magic to fly? Not this gal!

She released the throttle, letting her momentum bleed away, and cartwheeled over in midair. For a moment, she continued gliding upwards, but the idling thrusters combined with the pull of gravity quickly beat out inertia. She fanned her limbs out, turned her arms and legs so the aerolons presented the most drag in an effort to keep from reaching terminal velocity.

The sensation of weightlessness followed by free-fall never lost its charm. Reimu allowed herself to roll over, smiling warmly at the clouds in the sky, and brought the throttle back up.

With her trajectory back under control, she brought herself through a wide loop and came arcing back towards the shrine grounds. The compass, balance, and altimeter dials in her helmet spun round to familiar settings, and before long she was gently circling the air above the shrine, looking down towards the garage.

After a few moments, Genji and Yukari came walking outside, Yukari casually fanning herself, Genji tucking a cloth into his back pocket. Reimu turned in for an approach and gently coasted back to the ground, and touched down at a light jog to keep from toppling over.

"So, now that you've gotten your fix, you ready to try the quick-turns? It's gonna be a little disorienting at first. Good news, though, is that they should be able to help you hover in one position instead of having to keep flyin' all about at top speed." Genji pulled the array of magnifying lenses off his forehead and traded them for some simple tinted lenses, being careful to fold all the tiny lenses up before tucking the magnifiers into another pocket.

"I suppose I should first ask which way you've got these things aiming. If I want to turn left and flick which way I think is left and end up turning myself upside-down..."

"Pfhaw. Then it'd prove you're as un-coordinated as I've been saying. Nah, all kidding aside, they're set up relative to how you stand with your hands at your sides. I've seen how you fly, kid - you keep your arms at your sides, just kind of trailing your hands. If you pull the sticks towards your arms, that's either up if you're vertical or forward if you're horizontal. Got it? I'm sure it'll take some getting used to if you've got your hands up to shoot the cannons, but for the time being, you should go ahead and get used to just flying around. I'm going to get started working on some programming for them, get them set to help you stay upright and stationary when you want to stop in midair without plummeting. I know that was a pretty straightforward tutorial, but I felt I should keep it pretty simple. Go at it, kid."

Reimu glanced over at Yukari. "Remember the rule list? Just because I can see you trying this, I'm going to say it now - no popping up in midair next to me when I'm trying new stuff. I'm as like as to shoot you as I am to crash because of it. You can add that to the list. When I'm finally used to these things, then you can join me in the air, doing that whatever-it-is thing you can do."

"Dimensional boundary portal manipulation?"

Reimu enjoyed the reflective surface of her helmet, as it allowed her to roll her eyes at Yukari without being conspicuously immature. "Yeah, that. I'm gonna take off again. The backwash isn't as bad when I go straight up, but be ready for it anyways. I'll be back in a few hours, Genji. Your tea water is on the kettle."

Genji tapped the side of his head, indicating an ear. "You've got a radio. Just give me a hail if you plan on staying out or coming back sooner or later." The turtle youkai smiled at Reimu, nodded, then turned back towards the shrine.

Yukari watched him go, then turned back to Reimu with a wicked grin. "How good are your reflexes?"

Rather than respond, Reimu immediately punched the throttle, throwing it to emergency escape velocity. Before she could generate enough thrust, though, she felt herself falling instead of rising. She only barely had time to whirl around and face Yukari before she was swallowed by one of the wormholes the sage youkai was fond of.

The other end was the middle of the sky - whereabouts in Gensokyo she had no immediate idea, and the sudden change in altitude and air pressure caused a brief moment of havoc on her dials and gauges. As she spun about in disoriented confusion, Reimu unleashed a stream of profanity and curses, with Yukari as a recurring subject.

Just as the flightpack managed to halt her fall, she felt her feet scrape against something. "What the hell?!"

She looked down, careful not to make herself flip over, and didn't immediately see anything. She could feel something, a sound so deep it was felt rather than heard, rattling her to the core.

Good a time as any, she reckoned, and flicked the quick-turn thrusters to whirl around.

A vertical aerolon vane coasted just past her, and behind it were a row of exhaust pipes, thrumming and pumping out thin plumes of smoke. The bloody hell is this?

The vane and exhaust pipes were attached to a large bronze gondola. The front end of the rounded tank was what she'd barely landed on, and it didn't seem to be aware of her presence yet. Guess they didn't see me.

She rode the throttle back up, and dove forward, shooting around in front of the blimp. As she spun into a roll, she tried to get a better look at it, but wasn't ready for just how massive it was. "What the hell? Who's is this?"

On either side of the gondola, stubby wings held several rows of aero-foils, whirling about with a steady thrum sound as they chopped through the air.

I will finish this when its not quarter after 8 and I need to be up at 4 a.m. and the dog is whining and squeaking at me to go outside for the third time in an hour. If I can keep the momentum going on this, expect to see me transfer it to its own thread!