Author Topic: Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta 2018: With cheese biscuits AND mashed potatoes!  (Read 16586 times)

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.

Fiesta has been complete. I also got Shinryu and Omega down. I think this is my very first Triple Crown, and what a Triple Crown it was. I'm going to miss these strong, angry folk.

EDIT: Pure Chaos Round 2 has begun, and Wind and Water are Summoner and Blue Mage respectively. What a move so far.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 01:34:56 PM by Validon98 »
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
Going through all the World 3 content because my copy of Octopath Traveler should get here at the end of the week.

Slapping an Air Knife on everyone and having them spam Syldra has been a nice way of fast-forwarding through any crap I don't want to deal with.

Snapping rods counts as a physical attack, right? According to Fork Tower, it does!

Also I don't think the Chicken Knife and Goblin Punch get along. I didn't know this and never really tried it until now, but CK's been pullin' goose eggs for damage.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
I think Goblin Punch treats the chooseable weapon on its base numbers (0 escapes), so that's probably why. Excalipoor's base is 100 but it's property is that it always does 1 as a regular attack and any skill that treats it as such.
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
This is true. Goblin Punch treats Brave Blade always at max damage, Chicken Knife always at minimum damage, and Excalipoor at its listed damage rather than as garbage.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Reddyne

I'd say I should have known but the CK was best used on my Dancer the last time I had a Blue Mage in my party. Thanks for the info!

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
I might be late to start actually playing but I found my GBA player so I'll be doing this in style.

Reddyne

Team Press Syldra to Win is sitting right next to Omega. Quickvenom will be the way to go there, but I might try to beat Shinryu using other methods just for kicks.

Reddyne

Another triple crown! I mean srsly that's a pretty low bar with a meaty magic team that includes a Time Mage for Quickvenom shenanigans, but whatevs. It was more fun beating Shinryu with other tricks anyway.

Anyway, class review time!

Blue mage. It's one of my favorite classes and also one of my favorite punching bags. Lots of people will say "yo dis a supr borken job because it can play utility all day, exploit tons of boss resistance blind spots, and get higher gas mileage for your car." For the most part, Blue Mage lives up to its great rep. It's got skills that cover so many things and can be the difference-maker for a bunch of bosses. Still, many of their skills are specific to certain circumstances and may require a number of casting before hitting if not being entirely ineffective due to how fiddly magic accuracy can be. Lots of good skills come late in the game and/or might be be behind the wonderful confuse/!Control patience barrier. Other skills are straight-up useless. Even though I bash them a bunch, they've still got a ton of tricks that can get you through all sorts of situations. There's just a whole lot of times when they just don't work like you'd think.

Time Mage just seemed to be around for Hastega and Slowga most of the time, but got a big boost with Meteor in the endgame. Whoever was TM also became my designated rod snapper once those spells had done their job. That was about it. TM was mostly along for the ride this year while other jobs did the heavy lifting. Then again, Summoner and Blue Mage cover nearly all the damage and tricks you could want.

Summoner is just all kinds of stupid awesome. They are damage monsters in nearly every situation from the time you get them onward. Golem is probably the best straightforward defensive move in the game, and Carbuncle handles most of the magic side. Spamming Syldra with air knives equipped became a staple of the last third of the game, and was most of my strategy for Neo Exdeath, too. Gold Hairpins kept their MP usage manageable. They might be mostly straightforward - pick a spell and it'll do damage - but AoE damage can be hard to come by. Groups of mobs just fall over to these guys, and having a source of ~12k damage per turn against NED somehow made it stand out even more. It's a fantastic class and it was great to have one around.

White Mage was pretty vanilla, but super good to have in a pinch. Curaga and Arise saw a lot of use late game, and the Berserk/Blink strategy against Shinryu proved to be a lot more fun than Quickvenom silliness. Holy got a few licks in, too. That might have been the only memories I really had of them, but this stuff was available when it counted. They're the only really reliable source of healing and it requires a whole lot less babysitting than any other class that can.

I'm feelin' a No 750 team next year since the majority of the classes I haven't played as fall into that category. See you next year!