Author Topic: Connections~  (Read 5712 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Connections~
« on: February 17, 2013, 12:56:34 PM »
I can reach MotK by phone, but by browser, nothing but timeouts. I have tried restarting the router, clearing the cache, and can connect to the rest of the internet. Any suggestions for additional attempts?

EDIT: OK, somehow I'm good again, but any ideas on what might have happened here and how to possibly sort this out would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:45:26 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Tengukami

Re: Connections~
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 08:51:49 PM »
Do excuse the double post, but this keeps happening: connecting by phone is fine, connecting by browser results in timeouts. I can connect to the rest of the net just fine. Any ideas or tips would be much appreciated.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:15:32 PM »
I can't reproduce your bug, so the best I can do is request a little more time, since TSO is still winding down from KatsuCon and was not able to check this sort of thing over the weekend. Trust me when I say that you're not being ignored.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 10:09:45 PM »
I *think* I might know the cause of this.  Likely your ISP has enabled native IPv6 on your end at home.  We used to have full IPv6 capabilities here but due to an SMF bug I've had to disable it on the web side.  People weren't able to login or stay logged in.  Until SMF 2.1 comes out IPv6 is not officially supported and I've given up trying to track down the exact cause of the problem.  Problem is I forgot to remove some of the DNS records (the address book for the internet) that still show us having IPv6 access. 

What's supposed to happen is your browser checks for an IPv6 address first, and if it sees it, will use that to connect.  If it doesn't see an IPv6 address it falls back to IPv4.  So likely what was happening was your browser at home got the IPv6 address for www.shrinemaiden.org, tried to connect, and as expected, got rejected because the webserver doesn't have IPv6 enabled.  But rather than trying again with the IPv4 address it just gave up. 

I've gone ahead and removed those DNS entries to prevent any further snafus.  It may take up to a day for the changes to propagate but I'd imagine in an hour or so it'll take effect.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:12:49 PM by helvetica »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Tengukami

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 11:45:44 PM »
Thank you very much for the detailed response. I think you may be onto something there, TSO. After attempting "shrinemaiden.org" a number of times, without success, the thought occurred to me "what if I put a good ol' fashioned 'www.' in front of that URL?" and bam, connected.

Could that possibly be related? I add that adding World Wide Web or not made no difference to any other URL.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 12:05:51 AM »
It's gonna probably take a few hours for all the caching to clear out.  Most caches last at max 24 hours.

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Tengukami

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 12:11:32 AM »
What especially interests me about this is that Iceland has like, four ISPs. And they all work together. Recently in the news, they were talking about updates and changes they intend to make in order to have our connections run more smoothly. I'd be curious to see how this translates into how my connection with other servers changes, if at all. I think I'll phone my ISP tomorrow just to ask about the IPv6 subject.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 12:47:24 AM »
Most likely they finally flipped on native IPv6 and due to how it's designed, there's nothing you really need to do on your end.  Problem is there's still a few tiny outliers where IPv6 is broken/non-existent but there's supposed to be fallback methods.

Tengukami

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 12:48:23 AM »
Gotta love island life.