Author Topic: ZUN and Touhou status update  (Read 412748 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: ZUN and Touhou status updates: Touhou 14 this summer
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2013, 02:38:21 AM »
Yeah, I think FPH or stickying aren't warranted just yet. But it is good to know dates. Maybe there's some clues the game theme in the dates themselves!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2013, 08:59:31 AM »
Well, ZUN announces his games about 20 days before Reitaisai.. let's just wait
That would be May 20.

Drake

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2013, 09:12:12 AM »
...May 6th.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2013, 09:20:18 AM »
...May 6th.
Meant to say May 7, but didn't realize that I made a mistake...

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2013, 03:13:42 PM »
I only hope this game won't actually be a spin off, such as a 13.8 title.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Formless God

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2013, 05:03:23 AM »
I sure as hell don't mind another DS/GFW.

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2013, 05:15:56 AM »
It's been two years since 13, so it makes sense for it to be 14.  Other than the hiatus between 5 and 6, the longest we've waited for a new mainstream installment is two years after all.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2013, 07:06:26 AM »
ZUN has tweeted a link to a report of the NicoNico broadcast by ASCII Weekly:
http://weekly.ascii.jp/elem/000/000/132/132410/

New info gleamed from the article (because I have neither the time nor the Japanese skills to watch the full video):

"Super Red the Nightless Castle" is an amber ale.

ZUN was thinking about calling it "Super Gensokyo Red", and decided on the spot to call it "Super Red the Nightless Castle". The explanation for "Super Gensokyo Red" is a pun: "craft beer" is 地ビール in Japanese, meaning "local beer", "regional beer", with 地, the kanji for "land" before "beer", so he thought to name it after a land.

The report says ZUN added a simple difficulty to Touhou game(s) so his wife could also play them. Without knowing what he actually said, I can only speculate about what this refers to. I think it most likely refers to Imperishable Night's exceptionally simple Easy difficulty, since according to ZUN, he and ki-san started dating around that period. Another possible interpretation is Touhou 14 will have a new "easiest" difficulty that's even easier than before.

(If ZUN made IN Easy easier for ki-san's sake, does the high base difficulty of SA, UFO and FW mean she had become good enough at Touhou to beat them?)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:29:18 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2013, 08:27:33 AM »
Another possible explanation is Touhou 14 will have a new "easiest" difficulty that's even easier than before.
I will be legitimately surprised if this is proved possible. Fairies shoot bullets at themselves?

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2013, 09:05:24 AM »
Perhaps making it more like the official shooters found on game consoles?

Tengukami

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2013, 11:29:19 AM »
The report says ZUN added a simple difficulty to Touhou game(s) so his wife could also play them. Without knowing what he actually said, I can only speculate about what this refers to. I think it most likely refers to Imperishable Night's exceptionally simple Easy difficulty, since according to ZUN, he and ki-san started dating around that period. Another possible interpretation is Touhou 14 will have a new "easiest" difficulty that's even easier than before.

Uh ...

I think it means he created Easy Mode for her. No idea why you'd think this means the next game is going to have a Babby's First Shmup mode.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

cuc

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2013, 12:23:41 PM »
Touhou has had 4 difficulties named Easy, Normal, Hard & Lunatic since Touhou 1. It's one of the oldest standing tradition in the series. If ZUN "created" Easy for her sake, he would have to have known her since college, when the evidences point to the contrary.

I still think that quote is more likely about IN Easy.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:37:42 PM by cuc »

Tengukami

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2013, 12:39:13 PM »
Thanks, I know what the game difficulties are. I still don't think his brief, paraphrased statement has anything to do with Th14.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2013, 01:58:23 PM »
Touhou 14 with 5 difficulties,  Easy, Normal, Hard, Lunatic and Wife :V
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2013, 02:35:22 PM »
Touhou 14 with 5 difficulties,  Easy, Normal, Hard, Lunatic and Wife :V
It's put after Lunatic so you can try to convince her that its harder then the hardest setting. You can then offer her exaggerated praise when she manages to dodge her first spell card. The evening is sure to warm up from there.

Tengukami

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2013, 02:55:41 PM »
I'd assume any wife of his wouldn't be quite that dim ...

Sounds more like something I'd fall for.

Zakari

• This loli contains Autism
  • Autistic Loli
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2013, 08:15:47 AM »
ZUN went to Taiwan?  let`s see....
>TH12 - UFO = Buddhism
>TH13 - TD = Taoism.

does that mean TH14 is about Taiwanese culture/religion?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:26:27 AM by Zakari »

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2013, 11:23:47 AM »
Video mirrors of the Choukaigi 2 livestream (source) Warning: The first part of the YouTube video is very choppy. Lots of dead space halfway through.

In case there was anyone (like me) who missed it.

It's better to just wait for Zun actually announcing it on his blog, as usual.

He hasn't updated his blog since August of last year.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 11:28:02 AM by trancehime »

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2013, 12:41:31 PM »
ZUN went to Taiwan?  let`s see....
>TH12 - UFO = Buddhism
>TH13 - TD = Taoism.

does that mean TH14 is about Taiwanese culture/religion?
Taiwan is mainly a Buddhist and Taoist country.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »
And just my luck when decided not to go to Reitaisai 10 this year due to financial and time issues. Damn it. I should've known ZUN would surprise us with possible something. Unpredictable man is unpredictable.

So what about the fighting game as well? We're going to be treated with two releases? Or will both will be released at Ket?

Zakari

• Autistic Loli
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2013, 01:03:01 PM »
Taiwan is mainly a Buddhist and Taoist country.

Does that mean the story about Buddhism and Taoism is not finish yet?

i can`t wait for christianity, satanism, zionism and atheism.

cuc

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2013, 01:47:03 PM »
We still don't have any dates on the fighting game.

Video mirrors of the Choukaigi 2 livestream (source) Warning: The first part of the YouTube video is very choppy. Lots of dead space halfway through.
Actually that's already been posted.

It's put after Lunatic so you can try to convince her that its harder then the hardest setting. You can then offer her exaggerated praise when she manages to dodge her first spell card. The evening is sure to warm up from there.
That's a little disrespectful to women. You should never assume women are stupid because of their gender.

=====================

It's not major news, but I'm translating it.

Background info:

On March 9, the BitSummit event, initiated by the game developer Q Games (a Kyoto company founded by an American), was held at Kyoto. This is an event intended to foster communication between the Japanese indie/doujin game world with Western press and publishers. For example, they've got Valve in Japan, telling them about the opportunities offered by Steam and Greenlight.

Needless to say, this event has caused quite some stir in Japan. In its wake, one topic discussed on Japanese twitter is: the definition of "indie" and "doujin". (It must be noted that while the word "indie" has a positive meaning in English, the  Japanese loanword インディーズ has negative connotation of "amateur" "low quality".)

"Doujin" is hobbyist and self-published, created with no intention for profit, and eschewing "proper" forms of copyright; while the typical Western idea of indie games, especially the vision that BitSummit was trying to sell to Japanese doujin makers, is a small company not owned by large publishers, capable of earning great fame and profit. Some clash of ideals is bound to happen somewhere, even though the truth is always more complicated. The only reason there are so many Touhou fan games is because Touhou sells; "indie" meanwhile, has been used to refer to all kinds of games,many resolutely not for profit.

And then ZUN said:

"At this hour [at noon, 12:04 PM] I still haven't slept, and have forgotten to eat, yet I enjoy making it. This is doujin. If the same thing happens to an indie developer bent on commercial success, that would be terrible. OK, time to sleep~"

I don't fully agree with ZUN's stance on indie games, but hey, this is clever. I really don't want to see ZUN forgoing eating and sleep every day for Touhou 14, though...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:54:57 PM by cuc »

Zakari

• Autistic Loli
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2013, 01:54:16 PM »
I got a new idea for new difficulty.

Easy -your enemies will go easy on you
Normal - your enemies will attack you normally
Hard - your enemies will focus on your moves until you die
Lunatic - your enemies were serious
Allastasia - YOUR ENEMIES WERE A BUNCH OF ANGRY SHOUTING GERMANS WHO SINGS METAL AND DOESN`T STOP SHOOTING LASERS!!!

that`s my idea.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2013, 03:59:52 PM »
Offtopic on Touhou 14, regarding Indie games.

Indie game development has become a major hype lately. Just take a look at steam platform. Sure, game development is nice but it seems that the focus is no longer on actually making good games but just games. And all those games being 5 euro / 10 euro (EURO DA ZE) it seems like it is purely based on collecting money.

No offence to indie/doujin game makers, but the number of odd games I've seen lately on steam I am really questioning. Everybody thinks he/she can be the ZUN, the Notch or what ever person who made good game. Except ZUN made series of games which are booming I assume and Notch just has mine craft.

Probably a bit shallow analysis from me but this is what I see on the surface. Me as danmakufu scripter belongs probably in the Doujin world since my collaboration is purely as fan work with no profit goals.

game2011

• mineiptXD
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2013, 04:00:30 PM »
Does that mean the story about Buddhism and Taoism is not finish yet?

i can`t wait for christianity, satanism, zionism and atheism.
There's also Confucianism, but I see that as a philosophy, not a religion.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2013, 04:25:34 PM »
It sounds like the qualities they see in Doujin is what I look for in Indie, a passion for the game making craft, where as their Indie term refers to things like the shovelware that plagues the Wii.

What does Notch count as then? Do then see him in the same light as a larger company or something different.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2013, 04:58:36 PM »
i can`t wait for christianity...
but Yumemi appeared in Touhou 2.
That's a little disrespectful to women. You should never assume women are stupid because of their gender.
It's a little disrespectful to anyone, but when all you're interested in woeing your girl with some sick danmaku skills, that can be put aside.
"Doujin" is hobbyist and self-published, created with no intention for profit, and eschewing "proper" forms of copyright; while the typical Western idea of indie games, especially the vision that BitSummit was trying to sell to Japanese doujin makers, is a small company not owned by large publishers, capable of earning great fame and profit.
The wikipedia article for "doujin" says that doujin works create a quite a bit of profit. The source is also a Japanese website. I dunno what that website's slant is, though. To me at least, it sounds wrong to say that doujin works are made with no intention for profit. Isn't ZUN considered doujin, and doesn't he make his games with intent to sell? At most I'd say it's done with little intention for (monetary) profit.

Also off topic. In fact maybe I shouldn't post this.
Offtopic on Touhou 14, regarding Indie games.

Indie game development has become a major hype lately. Just take a look at steam platform. Sure, game development is nice but it seems that the focus is no longer on actually making good games but just games. And all those games being 5 euro / 10 euro (EURO DA ZE) it seems like it is purely based on collecting money.

No offence to indie/doujin game makers, but the number of odd games I've seen lately on steam I am really questioning. Everybody thinks he/she can be the ZUN, the Notch or what ever person who made good game. Except ZUN made series of games which are booming I assume and Notch just has mine craft.
That's not too surprising though, is it? First of all there is a thruthism that 90% of anything is crap. A vast majority of small independent business ventures also fail. However, it's not a bad goal to want to want to be like ZUN and Notch, I mean we all know at least two people who have succeed at that goal.

Drake

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2013, 05:08:39 PM »
can you people really only think of a handful of religions

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2013, 12:12:15 AM »

Mayanism. Isn't ZUN skipped 2012? Maybe its a hint for the next game
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:18:49 AM by GX »

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2013, 02:36:49 AM »
Pastafarianism? Discordianism? Personally I'd like to see the next Touhou based on the Church of Scientology...

Latest works
The Strongest