Author Topic: ZUN and Touhou status update  (Read 414452 times)

Araceli Caralyz

• A mus~! oxo
  • Touhou Fan, US Army NG Veteran & NICET Certified,
    • What I am up to~
Re: ZUN and Touhou status update: HM patch 1.34b, and stuff
« Reply #870 on: July 11, 2014, 10:04:59 PM »
Indeed we would be.
We anticipate more of his translation coming in, so we've began that patch branch.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #871 on: July 11, 2014, 11:13:54 PM »
As for myself, I'm fine with only a functional English patch.

As Drake said, at least we, the westerners, will finally be granted access to the games somehow. Something is better than nothing.

For dialogues and stuff, we could keep relying on fan translations. It has been like that for years anyway, and we're already used to it.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #872 on: July 12, 2014, 02:36:45 AM »
To take it further, I'm going to make an educated guess: he is not going to rely on any existing download platforms and localization companies. Instead, he will set up a website by himself, put the download version up, and add some payment interface like PayPal and Moneybrookers. Posting the image means the release date is already quite near; he might even open the download site before Comiket 86.

The reason? ZUN values his own independence above everything, and would prefer to not let localizers meddle with his games. He has expressed his distrust with the localizers, saying: "Can you translate better than my fans? They are super hardcore!". On the other hand, I've kept close watch on the localizers, and none of them have shown any signs they are in the talks with him.

In the end, ZUN's plans seem to be exactly what Clarste and Drake said - release the game with a basically functional translation, and let the fans deal with the rest.
This honestly seems like the most likely scenario. ZUN's whole raison d'etre is creative and independent control; a cottage industry both free to call the shots and home-based that he's repeatedly asserted is one of the most crucial aspects of Touhou Project. His entire business model from Day One runs on this, and he isn't likely to change up anytime soon.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #873 on: July 12, 2014, 03:03:20 AM »
we've began that patch branch.[/url]

Already? This is how I feel about how diligent you fools at thpatch are:

:] :) :3 ;) :D :( :o ??? :derp: ::) :blush: :X :wat: :V :ohdear: :dealwithit: :matsurismirk: :colbert: :flowerpower: :justasplanned: :matsuriscowl: :trollface: :P :getdown: BV :objection!: :sword!: :flamingv: :fail: :wikipedia: :dragonforce: :moogy: :colonveeplusalpha: :qq: :smokedcheese: :smug: :* 8) :barf: :munch: >:( :toot: :yukkuri: >:D

'Kay, just like that, except spoken.

« Reply #874 on: July 12, 2014, 03:17:25 AM »
Heck, I'd be fine just reading the translation on the wiki if it meant being able to get the games distributed here.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #875 on: July 12, 2014, 03:40:01 AM »
As much as I dislike the more vulgar parts of the IN translation being made "canon" (by way of not having an official alternative), it does seem that crowdsourcing the translations like this would be the best way to go about things. I think it would be a good idea for ZUN to have a professional translator AND Touhou fan (they DO exist, such as his interpreter for AWA) look over a few things before a release is made.

« Reply #876 on: July 12, 2014, 04:58:47 AM »
Quote from: ZUN
Hold SHOT button for slow
This reminds me; where did the term "focus" come from? The key configs in all of the Touhou games refer to focus as "Slow".
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

« Reply #877 on: July 13, 2014, 12:16:54 AM »

This reminds me; where did the term "focus" come from? The key configs in all of the Touhou games refer to focus as "Slow".

It was made up by translators who liked that name better. :3

Drake

« Reply #878 on: July 13, 2014, 06:49:27 AM »
I don't think there's actually any translations that use "focus". It's just the lingo the english fandom started using afaik. More fitting of a word than "slow" button.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

FLASH

• Still looking for the Hakurei shrine...
  • So close
« Reply #879 on: July 13, 2014, 12:33:03 PM »

LOL, oh my ZUN... you will always make me laugh with your english fails 💗

"Ibuki
SUIKA
Subphylum youkai Oni
    ressembles the Yuugi.
A horn is sharp. A height is small.
It drinks the alcohol of a magic gourd."
 :3
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 12:40:35 PM by FLASH »

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #880 on: July 13, 2014, 01:56:41 PM »
To be fair, that could've very well been the artist's fault.

« Reply #881 on: July 13, 2014, 08:26:52 PM »
To be fair, that could've very well been the artist's fault.

It's still pathetic, though.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Re: ZUN and Touhou status update
« Reply #882 on: July 14, 2014, 08:20:36 AM »
This summer's Akibahara Beer Fair artwork and schedule: from August 9 to August 18, encompassing Comiket 86.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:22:30 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Drake

« Reply #883 on: July 14, 2014, 09:45:06 AM »
ZUN please stop with the DDC faces

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #884 on: July 14, 2014, 10:43:30 AM »
This summer's Akibahara Beer Fair artwork and schedule: from August 9 to August 18, encompassing Comiket 86.

The resemblance it bears to my own artwork is terrifying.

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #885 on: July 14, 2014, 01:47:50 PM »

Tengukami

« Reply #886 on: July 14, 2014, 01:56:49 PM »

This one's already had enough to drink. Look at that tell-tale drunk blush. That's how you know.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

danyun

• Accomplished Lurker
  • Hey
« Reply #887 on: July 14, 2014, 08:31:35 PM »

Just when his art was getting good. Also her fingers are in the beer... =P That's forgivable though.
I like rain. Do you like rain?

« Reply #888 on: July 15, 2014, 02:25:27 AM »
I think this is the first Beerko art that I don't like.

« Reply #889 on: July 15, 2014, 09:25:49 PM »
I think this is the first Beerko art that I don't like.
She has that whole "kawaii uguu~" face going on.

Tengukami

« Reply #890 on: July 15, 2014, 09:55:36 PM »
I dunno what's wrong with you guys. I think Beerko is adorable. Kinda looks like a teenaged Meg Ryan wearing a Wild West pioneer woman's dress.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:03:52 PM by Tengukami »

« Reply #891 on: July 15, 2014, 11:02:55 PM »
Well, thinking about it, the quality is improved and those are actually some of his better work when it comes to hands (...I think?) but something seems... off about the head/face. 

« Reply #892 on: July 15, 2014, 11:09:45 PM »
He's going for a different angle than usually draw faces from, so there's some perspective weirdness.

« Reply #893 on: July 16, 2014, 12:50:46 AM »
Getting there

cuc

Re: ZUN and Touhou status update: no new work for Comiket 86, and more
« Reply #894 on: July 30, 2014, 10:00:47 AM »
Hello there! The past few weeks have the appearance of being uneventful. But that doesn't mean nothing is happening. If you can read Japanese, you should have figured out that the Japanese blog Touhou Memory is doing a really decent job covering Touhou news these days, and I often only need to translate what's on Touhou Memory.

One Comiket 86 release that has made Touhou fandom headlines is the revival of sound sepher's anthology CD "Touhou Gengaku Shiten", in the form of "Cradle Re:BOOT - Touhou Gengaku Shiten". This series used to be a landmark of Touhou fan music, and now younger Touhou fans have another chance to own a real copy.

The 4-CD "Re:BOOT" album consists of 23 tracks from "Cradle", 15 from "Cradle2", 5 from "Canon", 2  from "Harmonia", and 10 new tracks. They were unable to contact certain musicians to obtain their permission, so there are a few missing songs. (Home page)

The theme of yesterday's Nikenme Radio broadcast is "relocating". Because you know, ZUN has moved from his previous Shinjuku home half a month ago, which we can presume must be for the sake of his newborn son. His wife ki-san and son have been staying with ki-san's parents, while he had spent these months packing up.

It also meant he kept digging out old memorabilia, including the first CD-R versions of Dolls of Pseudo Paradise and Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.

Because he's busy going through stuff, there won't be any new Touhou release for this August's Comiket 86. Instead, they've got a weird thing to sell. If you pay attention, you'll have heard of the mysterious circle "Nonbeh-kai" ("Society of Big Drinkers", more or less). This is the circle formed by ZUN and his drinking buddies, a.k.a. the guys who made Uwabami Breaker. The new release is a collection of their dialogue, called "Saikoubi", meaning "End of Queue", referring to the end of queue in conventions, particularly some "disappearance of Shanghai Alice's end of queue" incident in 2009's Comiket. Yeah, sounds like it'll be post-convention unwinding, all the time. (Melonbooks shop page) (Home page)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 12:48:36 AM by cuc »

cuc

« Reply #895 on: July 30, 2014, 10:32:25 AM »
That's not all. The most important thing in yesterday's show is an announcement. The other host of the show, Okonogi Tetsuro announced that he had resigned from the publisher Ichijinsha. He had been meaning to do that for some time.

Now, Okonogi is not just another drinking buddy of ZUN's. He's ZUN's editor at Ichijinsha, and his contribution to Touhou is not something to be dismissed.

* Starting from BAiJR, the very first book on Touhou universe itself, Okonogi has been the main editor of these books. You can see his name as the first editor in BAiJR, PMiSS, GoM and SoPM.

* He was responsible for the Chara☆Mel magazine (where CiLR was serialized) and its successor Febri (where WaHH was serialized), which also makes him the editor of CiLR and WaHH. Like I said, since Touhou is an important selling point of the magazines, his magazines to a large extend depend on Touhou.

* Due to his friendship with ZUN and his knowledge of Touhou, he has been responsible for conducting several in-depth interviews with ZUN. This might be the most irreplaceable part of his job.

* He also got to appear together with ZUN in other contexts. Of course, the most notable is Nikenme Radio, where Ichijinsha pays for their dinner so they can say whatever they want to the internet once each month.

According to Okonogi, the serialization of WaHH will continue, and Ichijinsha will even keep supporting the show, despite him no longer being an Ichijinsha employee. This would keep Touhou from being affected by his leaving in the short term. What about the long term? How long can Febri survive? Who at Ichijinsha would be enough of a Touhou fan to do the in-depth interviews? Can Ichijinsha maintain their relation with ZUN? There are now many unknown factors.

Touhou fans have often mocked Okonogi for the numerous typos and errors in his books. Nonetheless, his friendship with ZUN had ensured some important Touhou publications could come out in a stable environment with relatively little hassle (compare CoLA's painful journey from magazines to websites to magazines). That's also contribution.

P.S.: The most famous appearance of Okonogi might be his cameos in Ryukishi 07's visuals. A character called Okonogi can be found in both Higurashi and Umineko, and the Ryukishi-penned part of Rewrite. The Umineko version of Okonogi is even a fairly important character, whose name is also pronounced Tetsuro but with different kanji. Ryukishi 07 said he did that as a way to show gratitude to the help Okonogi offered; Okonogi was not in the know until someone told him "you are a culprit now!"

From 2012's Nikenme 3D event, the guy on the left is Okonogi.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:30:41 AM by cuc »

Camilo113

• Luck, Resilience and Perseverance
  • Gensokyo is capable of change
« Reply #896 on: July 31, 2014, 10:38:09 PM »
Ouu :(, I was eagerly hoping for a new Music CD to be announced for this Comiket... Well, next year will be then.

That Cradle CD had some music made by ZUN himself, I remember I got it just for those musics and I wasn't disappointed... Cinderella Cage and SpeedFox remastered are superiorly awesome!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #897 on: August 01, 2014, 02:14:15 PM »
ZUN's child most likely taking its toll already. He might be taking it slower. Perhaps next Reitaisai we will get a demo? There was going to be an autumn Reitaisai or something?

Drake

« Reply #898 on: August 01, 2014, 11:28:36 PM »
He tweeted two days ago that he "expected to be able to savor the summer break he doesn't usually have, but oops too much work".

cuc

Re: ZUN and Touhou status update: Touhou 14 to be released by Playism
« Reply #899 on: August 11, 2014, 06:02:41 AM »
A bomb has just been dropped. Go here for discussion:
https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,17234.0.html