Author Topic: ZUN and Touhou status update  (Read 412940 times)

Monkeypro257

Re: ZUN and Touhou status update: Untold History and? new spinoff game on Dec 30!
« Reply #570 on: November 02, 2013, 05:23:17 AM »
I'm just hoping ZUN will eventually get to the point in bringing PC-98 characters. (Still it might even end up being Kosuzu. . .:P)

Re: ZUN and Touhou status update: Untold History and? new spinoff game on Dec 30!
« Reply #571 on: November 02, 2013, 06:11:22 AM »
What if it was like a remake of the pc-98 games.  :V
He just played Lotus Land Story and cleared it.

Or it can be a music game with the Prismriver Sisters, Mystia, Kyouko, Raiko, Benben, and Yatsuhashi.

But judging from how there is no demo and ZUN announcing it two months before the game's release, it might just be a simple game.
Currently a normal player

« Reply #572 on: November 02, 2013, 11:28:55 AM »
Maybe a game like StB and DS,huh?
"Triple Spoiler"

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Re: ZUN and Touhou status update: Sorry, "new game" is a misunderstanding
« Reply #573 on: November 02, 2013, 12:24:31 PM »
Sorry, me (and people I verify my translations with) misunderstood ZUN's tweet. There's no new game. Shanghai Alice is also not listed on Comiket's web catalog, so ZUN is not attending this Comiket.

This error was again caused by a lack of subject in ZUN's sentence. What he said is, "If you finish your Winter Comiket game and bring it to the Nikenme Radio 3D 2 event, I will definitely promote it for you."

Thanks to Ko Kransom (ZUN's interpreter during the Atlanta trip) for pointing this out.

I'm hanging my head in shame. :colonveeplusalpha:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 01:29:12 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Spectral Nexus

• Idealistic Aspirer and Unacheiver
  • Hella trippy.
« Reply #574 on: November 02, 2013, 12:46:08 PM »
T_T WHY?  :colonveeplusalpha:

lol Thinking about it now, 3 Touhou games in one year is a bit much.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 03:08:31 PM by Spectral Nexus »
COMPOSING FOR: Magical Moon Story / Mystic Memory Drive (Full Game)
- Old Chateau Story (Stage 3 and Title Themes)
- Ephemeral Unnatural Balance (Stage 2 & Stage 5 Themes)
- Illusionary Visual Twilight (Full Game)
- Hopefully a few of my own future fangames! :-D

Zil

« Reply #575 on: November 02, 2013, 03:01:01 PM »
sadness

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #576 on: November 02, 2013, 03:05:51 PM »
Uwaaa.... well... I agree with Nexus... 3 games in a year is really wishing a lot...

Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

« Reply #577 on: November 02, 2013, 04:53:58 PM »
Aww darn. I was already getting pretty excited for it too...

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #578 on: November 02, 2013, 07:45:47 PM »
On the bright side:

a) ZUN is still alive,
b) ZUN has gone on record saying he will keep making games, and
c) see a) and b).

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Drake

« Reply #579 on: November 02, 2013, 10:09:09 PM »
and nobody has lost anything

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #580 on: November 02, 2013, 11:20:13 PM »
Except hope for next month.

Drake

« Reply #581 on: November 02, 2013, 11:28:54 PM »
net loss

cuc

« Reply #582 on: November 03, 2013, 12:51:26 AM »
For that matter, I was initially hoping for a new Sealing Club CD due to an earlier tweet about D.N.A.'s DigiExpo indie game event and the "Comiket deadline". Now I can see that was about other circles, too: "do you have the courage to move your Comiket deadline even earlier, getting your game ready for DigiExpo?"

>possibility of ZUN announcing a fighting game

Even if there is a fighting game, it would be considered Tasofro's work, announced, promoted and maintained by them, not ZUN.

cuc

Re: ZUN and Touhou status update: "OK, the newest game is all set up!"
« Reply #583 on: November 17, 2013, 03:40:21 PM »
Today (Nov 17) is the day for Digital Game Expo, the indie game event hosted by ZUN's good friend, D.N.A. As already announced, ZUN is attending the event, and...
ZUN: OK, the newest game is all set up!

That's something totally unexpected: ZUN was showing all of his games at this event, including the PC-98 games on a real PC-98, years after he told people to forget about them.

While foreigners like us might be used to the idea of downloading and playing the PC-98 games on an emulator, please keep in mind that to most Japanese, download filez is something unimaginable, that happens in some far away place. This means more people outside of Japan than inside have played the PC-98 Touhou games. For most attenders, this would be the first time they see these games running.

ZUN's booth looked like this:

The PC-98 is in very good condition. Some say he bought it specifically for this event, and some say he borrowed it from someone else.

On the right side, the demo versions of all ZUN-developed Windows games (i.e. without Tasofro games), plus Dusk Pub ~ Uwabami Breaker, are running on a Surface Pro 2, which he newly bought, with a PS2 controller plugged.

In the middle is a model of a mug of beer (no eating or drinking is allowed in the exhibition hall), stacks of games, and a flyer listing the history of Team Shanghai Alice games.

Things ZUN said during the event:
- Answering if he will sell the PC-98 games again: there are too many issues such as resolution, and the PC-98 hardware itself is difficult for people to obtain.

- When people played HRtP (jokingly): "HRtP? It's boring."
- On SoEW: "SoEW? It's is hard."
- On LLS: "LLS is easy."
- On LLS Extra: "LLS Extra is really really hard. The strongest in history."
- On Uwabami Breaker: "This is harder than Extra."

A pic of the hall:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 04:01:22 PM by cuc »

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #584 on: November 17, 2013, 03:43:54 PM »
Man, what would I give to get original copies of those PC-98 games...I would love to collect them even if I don't have the equipment to play them.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Hatateru

• Hatatatatatatatatatatatatata
« Reply #585 on: November 17, 2013, 04:57:20 PM »
ZUN: OK, the newest game is all set up!
Huh what.

Anyway I think this is pretty decent indicator that we "might" get some PC98 revival in the future imo. I mean he's suddenly interested in the old games again and with AWA showing such positivity(?) towards the old games, it probably struck one of his chords or two.
And then a sacked Sakuya told everyone that Flandre was one of her ex-bosses

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #586 on: November 17, 2013, 05:54:38 PM »
Huh what.
Maybe the joke is that most people haven't seen the PC-98 Touhou games, or at the very least played them. So they are a new experience to them.

« Reply #587 on: November 17, 2013, 06:08:49 PM »
Man, what would I give to get original copies of those PC-98 games...I would love to collect them even if I don't have the equipment to play them.

I'm with you there.  It would be cool to actually have physical copies; I'm as much a game collector as I am a player.  But I don't have the riches to splurge on rare games for old hardware (I yelled at my parents when they joked about selling my copy of Suikoden II on e-Bay since it was going for like $200 at the time).

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #588 on: November 17, 2013, 08:29:39 PM »
On LLS Extra: "LLS Extra is really really hard. The strongest in history."

Mugetsu and Gengetsu Cirno :V
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Monkeypro257

« Reply #589 on: November 18, 2013, 01:37:09 AM »
I wonder what they thought about SoEW Extra stage? Well at least ZUN got a taste of nostalgia again.

98digger

• The Master of 9801
  • What? Windows? What's that?
    • The 98th Dimension
« Reply #590 on: November 18, 2013, 02:31:41 AM »
I think it's great that ZUN showed off the ol' PC-9801 games. In case you're wondering, ZUN owns the PC-9821 Xa7, while the one shown here is a PC-9821 V13.

When ZUN mentioned "resolution", he probably was talking about the varying resolutions for MS-DOS games on the Windows-based 9821 series. This is not a huge problem, but it does make it somewhat difficult to see everything happening on-screen with certain models of the computer.

I do think that ZUN should, rather than sell the old games (there is really little profit to be made off of them), release them as freeware downloads on his site, like Id Software did with many of their old MS-DOS games. That way, the people who actually own the PC-9801/PC-9821 can have the chance to (legally) play the games :).

^Notice: I'm bad at writing replies :)    Also: Check out my personal site here: https://themasterof9801.neocities.org/

cuc

« Reply #591 on: November 18, 2013, 04:08:59 AM »
ZUN: At this event, PC-98 is not an object of nostalgia, but a focus of the crowd's interest. I will not forget this.

I wonder what they thought about SoEW Extra stage? Well at least ZUN got a taste of nostalgia again.
To unlock it, people would have to beat SoEW first, and no one did that.

In case you're wondering, ZUN owns the PC-9821 Xa7
That's interesting. Where's the source?

When ZUN mentioned "resolution", he probably was talking about the varying resolutions for MS-DOS games on the Windows-based 9821 series.
I think he might be talking about the issue of aspect ratio: the PC-98 games were originally displayed at 16:10 resolutions in 4:3, with pixels that are taller then wide, and would be horizontally stretched when emulated on a modern machine with square pixels. Link: a good reference article for this issue.

Compare the following: photo showing SoEW played at the event in 4:3, and emulator screenshot in 16:10:

You can see in the comparison that the circles and text symbols are all 1:1 in terms of pixel count, and displayed on a real PC-98 as taller than wide. This is the case with most gameplay graphics in these games, so an argument can be made that the gameplay parts actually look better when played using square pixels. However, he did take account of the aspect ratio for the character drawings, so the Reimu on title screen turns out stretched and extra-chubby in emulator, which may not be the intended effect.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 02:20:15 AM by cuc »

Monkeypro257

« Reply #592 on: November 18, 2013, 04:15:56 AM »
That whole quote of ZUN saying that it wasn't all about Nostalgia, but the crowds interest made me wonder a bit and suddenly worried. . . .

98digger

• The Master of 9801
  • What? Windows? What's that?
    • The 98th Dimension
« Reply #593 on: November 18, 2013, 04:34:20 AM »

That's interesting. Where's the source?

Mag-Net's interview with ZUN. The model number is only shown briefly, so you have to pause the video just at the right time to see it. I am still very curious to where he got the V13 from.

Oh, and here is something interesting I just discovered: the order form for the 9801 Touhou games via Wayback Machine!
(Note: You might have to jump to a capture in Wayback machine that was taken while they were still accepting orders of the games)

http://web.archive.org/web/20001030065142/http://www.kt.rim.or.jp/~aotaka/AM/order.htm

Also, I am very pleased with ZUN's newest Twitter post. Perhaps this means means a redistribution of the 9801 games :D?

^Notice: I'm bad at writing replies :)    Also: Check out my personal site here: https://themasterof9801.neocities.org/

Monkeypro257

« Reply #594 on: November 18, 2013, 05:11:14 AM »
By the way, did they not show Phantasmagoria of Dim Dream during the event?

cuc

« Reply #595 on: November 18, 2013, 05:55:29 AM »
All games were shown. Only there were few people who chose to play PoDD.

Can anyone identify the LCD display in here? I think it's a somewhat old model, but still not as old as the PC-98.

Not mentioned in earlier posts (collection of related tweets here):
- Everyone else's thunder was stolen. Heppoko said: "Having Shanghai [Alice] as neighbor obstructs business."
- ZUN kept giving DDC players advice.
- Naturally, people had trouble with PC-98's directional keys (if you didn't notice, look more carefully at the photo).
- Kimura Yoshiro came to visit ZUN.
- When one player reached Yuuka in LLS, the game froze, and people on internet were like: "that's a real machine, indeed!"

To me, it's also important to see ZUN officially dividing the history of Touhou games using the years 1995, 2002, 2007 and 2013.

(He also pulled all the game titles from Wikipedia. That's why there are no misspellings.)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 05:57:50 AM by cuc »

« Reply #596 on: November 18, 2013, 06:00:59 AM »
Just the fact that ZUN is bringing any attention at all to the PC-98 games is pretty shocking to me, in a good way.

Hatateru

• Hatatatatatatatatatatatatata
« Reply #597 on: November 18, 2013, 06:49:31 AM »
I think we can all expect something good from all this :3
And then a sacked Sakuya told everyone that Flandre was one of her ex-bosses

Drake

« Reply #598 on: November 18, 2013, 08:06:31 AM »
Can anyone identify the LCD display in here? I think it's a somewhat old model, but still not as old as the PC-98.
It's an Eizo FlexScan. You can't tell what model at all since they all look the same, but more interestingly to note Eizo is the parent company of IREM, who developed the R-Type series, X-Multiply, and Image Fight. (Not that it has anything to do with anything)

« Reply #599 on: November 19, 2013, 08:28:12 PM »
Wait, tell me this DOES mean we will have a spin-off game or at least a demo of some sort this year?