Author Topic: ZUN and Touhou status update  (Read 412490 times)

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
Re: ZUN and Touhou status updates: Touhou 14 this summer
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2013, 02:41:39 AM »
Mayanism. Isn't ZUN skipped 2012? Maybe its a hint for the next game

I always wanted to see spellcards based on Quetzalcoatl (even if it is Astec :V)
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
Apparently some fans on 2ch transcribed the part about game difficulty in the broadcast. Would someone better at Japanese than me help translate it?

http://touhousiki.doorblog.jp/archives/25586515.html
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2013, 11:16:29 AM »
can you people really only think of a handful of religions

Zoroastrianism

Freddie Mercury confirmed for TH14 Stage 5 boss for Stage 6 Mazda loli
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2013, 11:52:43 AM »
i can`t wait for christianity, satanism, zionism and atheism.
The last two aren't religions and Satanism refers to a group of similar religions afaik.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:54:14 AM by BT »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2013, 11:57:33 AM »
Not even Satanists believe Satan is real; they consider it a representation of their whole raison d'etre.

But back on topic:

Freddie Mercury confirmed for TH14 Stage 5 boss for Stage 6 Mazda loli

Whose stage opens with ZUN's remix of the Flash Gordon theme.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2013, 12:06:16 PM »
I could see him doing The Hero, since it's a blend of its own melody and Flash.

All you gotta do is save the world!
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

cuc

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2013, 01:15:08 PM »
This is not a ZUN update, or even a Touhou update; it's about the general state of the industry.

It's the hottest topic on Japanese internet at the moment: if Japan joins Trans-Pacific Partnership, it could have a great impact on Japan's copyright legislation, and consequently, a devastating effect on the doujin world. Be sure to read the article linked below.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-10-31/negima-akamatsu-warns-against-changing-japan-copyright-law

=================

In another topic, the part I'm requesting for your translation help from the post above:
 ZUN「あ、そういう話します?ゲーム作る事が大好きだからすごい楽しいです。今、いい感じです。」

ひろゆき「ZUNさんが難易度決める時って、基準?自分?なんですか?」

ZUN「僕は何の話をすればいいんだ」

ひろゆき「ゲームを作る時の難易度、どこを基準にするか」

ZUN「難易度が全てではないと思う。自分がクリアするのが精一杯っていうようなゲームは作らない。難易度が1ラインではない。」

ひろゆき「難易度って個人としての反射神経の問題と、記憶をして記憶どおりにいけばいいっていう別のベクトルがあるじゃないですか」

ZUN「それは両方使います。バランスとして、覚えて技術的にやる場所、技術がいらなくてただ覚えればいい所、反射神経で何かやらないといけない場所をそれぞれ上手く混ぜる。一つのゲーム中に毎回色々なパターンがある」

ひろゆき「ZUNさんの中でここは記憶力でクリアする場所、ここは技術で決める場所っていうのは決めてるんですか?」

ZUN「うん、それは決まってる」
 ZUN「人によって得意、不得意とかあるから、それを解決するのがボムなんです」

ばん「俺が聞いた話と違う・・・結婚する事によって奥さんがクリアできるレベルっていうのが軸としてもう一つ出来たって話をしてくれたじゃないですか・・・」

ZUN「それは結婚する前の話だね、付き合ってる時からそうだったけど」

ひろゆき「彼女が居るときは自分のゲームをやってもらって自分を好きになってもらいたいと思ってたけど?」

ZUN「そういうことじゃなくて、本来東方易しく作ってたけど、続編を作る度にある程度難易度を上げるじゃないですか、難易度を上げないと満足もしないし。初めて遊ぶ人間と、ずっとやってきた人を喜ばせるのは別問題だな、と」

ZUN「勿論ファンを喜ばせていけばいいんだけど、嫁さんにやってもらった時に全く無理なんだよね。イージーだったら大丈夫だと思ったけど、イージーでもダメ・・・」

ひろゆき「よくやる気になりましたね彼女、イージーでもクリア出来ないシューティングゲームとか全く興味起きないじゃないですか」

ZUN「うん、だから多分興味もってないですよ(笑)」
 ひろゆき「東方とかうぜ~とか思ってるんだ奥さん(笑)」
 ZUN「そう。うぜ~なアイツ、あんなの何が楽しいんだよ(笑)」
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 03:37:36 PM by cuc »

cuc

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2013, 02:27:14 PM »
Rough summary of the above (please point out any mistakes and omissions):

- When asked about how he determines the difficulty level, ZUN claims he doesn't think about setting one standard line of difficulty; he just makes it so he must put in all his effort to beat the game. (A topic he addressed before.)

- Each game is a mixture of parts that demand reflexes, parts that demand memorization, and parts that demand both.

- The story about "making the game easy, so his wife can beat it" happened before their marriage. He did it so they could play together.

- ZUN says Touhou has been easy to begin with, so if the sequels don't provide an increase in difficulty, it would be unsatisfying. Of course the experience of first-time players would be different from long-time players.

- Needless to say, games that makes fans happy would be unplayable for ki-san, even on Easy.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 03:41:20 PM by cuc »

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2013, 02:31:26 PM »
Just as and aside, but it seems like Moot might be at Nico Chokaigi.

ZUN really likes making games, and Hiroyuki asks him how he sets the difficulty standards for his games. ZUN says he doesn't really have one. He prefers to balance reaction speeds and memorization requirements, and any deficiencies in either can be made up for with bombs.

The thing about him making it easy enough for his wife to beat only came around when they were first going out.

He mentions Touhou is meant to be relatively easy, but as the series progresses, there's kind of a self-obligation to add more challenge. He does bring up a difference in new and old fans, but that's another issue.

He wants to make fans happy, but even Easy proves to be too much for his wife. Then again, she probably wasn't too keen on shmups to begin with.

cuc

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2013, 02:53:48 PM »
Thanks!

This moment's weird tweet:
Talk to others about the philosophy of games and got reprimanded. Only then can it turn into one's own driving force. This must be how things are. >hic<

Wow, so... he just got seriously criticized, and is now drinking to suppress it?

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2013, 03:05:07 PM »
I don't think that was a hiccup, just a silly noise.

cuc

Re: ZUN and Touhou status updates: Touhou 13.5 completion in sight
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2013, 01:19:49 AM »
I've no idea. I googled and didn't find much evidence that it's a hiccup. But that one came from a person living in Japan I trust a lot. (The "reprimanded" tweet turns out to be him reminescing about the past. See the tweet below, posted one hour later...)

ZUN has tweeted this from 00:00 AM:
Sigh, the final meeting for Hopeless Masquerade has ended. Only my game remains to be pushed forward now. To this deepest hell I go.

EDIT: Since people asked:

The story, overall shape of gameplay, and assets needed (characters, skills and artwork) should be determined a long time ago, ideally (though rarely so in practice) with midway changes kept to a minimum. After each major decision, many more meetings would be required to iron them out. Since this is the last meeting, it can only be about fine-tuning gameplay.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:43:26 AM by cuc »

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2013, 01:57:25 AM »
Aw, that sounds so depressing. Maybe ZUN's tired of programming and just wants to sit back and write manga now. Can't really blame him since writing manga and stories is prolly a lot funner than debugging something and trying to figure out why something isn't compiling.

cuc

« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2013, 02:03:08 AM »
Throughout this thread ZUN has repeatedly emphasized how much he loves making games. This is a "hell" he voluntarily and happily goes through.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 06:47:18 AM by cuc »

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2013, 02:04:05 AM »
Ah, in that case, he's probably being sarcastic or something. :P

cuc

« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2013, 02:07:31 AM »
Neither is it sarcasm. The most intense part of a creative process is painful, this is a factual statement. With that said, "hell" in English has an implication of being purely bad, "nothing good comes out of this", which is absent in Japanese, where it can just mean "suffering".
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:29:58 AM by cuc »

Formless God

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2013, 04:46:19 AM »
writing manga and stories is prolly a lot funner than debugging something and trying to figure out why something isn't compiling.
No, man, you just don't understand.

« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2013, 05:56:07 AM »
Programming something tricky is like trying to pacifist-beat a Touhou stage for the first time. Hours of small victories that just lead to more problems and mounting frustration, then the eureka moment that makes the entire thing worth it. It just wouldn't be the same if everything went smoothly from the start. Also, your best progress is made either an hour after you should have gone to sleep, or thirty minutes into a new session after giving up for the night.

cuc

« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2013, 06:07:40 AM »
Japanese Amazon has put up the cover art for Forbidden Scrollery Vol. 1 (click to enlarge):

The blogger known as "noeg" is compiling the info on preorder bonuses of Forbidden Scrollery Vol. 1. He will keep this page updated.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/noegasukida/archives/25139984.html
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:43:33 AM by cuc »

Hatateru

• Hatatatatatatatatatatatatata
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2013, 08:00:26 AM »
ZUN went to Taiwan?  let`s see....
>TH12 - UFO = Buddhism
>TH13 - TD = Taoism.

does that mean TH14 is about Taiwanese culture/religion?

Probably Shenism?
And then a sacked Sakuya told everyone that Flandre was one of her ex-bosses

cuc

« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2013, 08:28:50 AM »
Shenism (shen = 神, deity)? First time I ever heard of the term. So it's a controversial way of saying "Chinese folk religion". It's synthetic, and literally inseparatable from Buddhism and Taoism in China. The hermits and celestials of Touhou universe have taken a lot of inspiration from that, and we are bound to see more of it in Hopeless Masquerade.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:31:16 AM by cuc »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2013, 10:06:39 AM »
ZUN really likes making games, and Hiroyuki asks him how he sets the difficulty standards for his games. ZUN says he doesn't really have one. He prefers to balance reaction speeds and memorization requirements, and any deficiencies in either can be made up for with bombs.
Harmony. I am glad he aims for harmony in general. The more I learn about these little things of ZUN's way of thinking, the more I get inspired by his work. I hope reflect, if not just a little of it, in my game.

Neither is it sarcasm. The most intense part of a creative process is painful, this is a factual statement. With that said, "hell" in English has an implication of being purely bad, "nothing good comes out of this", which is absent in Japanese, where it can just mean "suffering".
Suffering indeed is probably what it is. The whole process is one huge suffering, from building/creating to acceptance and feedback. Actually, I think mostly in English 'hell' is also generally considered suffering. At least that is what I thought. "This assignment is hell" but eventually you make it through.

cuc

« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2013, 11:07:54 AM »
I'm feeling really dumb again. Of course self-mockery counts as sarcasm! And people have already begun speculating it's a hint that we'll visit hell in Touhou 14.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2013, 11:29:52 AM »
I'm feeling really dumb again. Of course self-mockery counts as sarcasm! And people have already begun speculating it's a hint that we'll visit hell in Touhou 14.
So what happened to the underwater and space speculations? People sway fast these days, amazing.

« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2013, 11:44:18 AM »
So what happened to the underwater and space speculations? People sway fast these days, amazing.

Well, this one's actually based on something as opposed to being pulled out of thin air. Even if it's just an offhand joke.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hell, maybe with an Eiki or Komachi cameo.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2013, 12:21:06 PM »
- ZUN says Touhou has been easy to begin with, so if the sequels don't provide an increase in difficulty, it would be unsatisfying. Of course the experience of first-time players would be different from long-time players.

I find that a strange statement to make when he made Ten Desires easier on purpose so newcomers that are not turned away by SA/UFO levels of difficulty.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Yatakarasu

• Always failing, sometimes winning!
  • Fail mode activate!
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2013, 12:24:22 PM »
Well, this one's actually based on something as opposed to being pulled out of thin air. Even if it's just an offhand joke.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hell, maybe with an Eiki or Komachi cameo.
Weeeeeeell, technically SA took place in A hell.  :P

Normal Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard Clears: PoFV, SA, TD, DDC
Extra Clears: PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Current touhou goal: Improve! ...1cc more Hard Modes

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2013, 12:27:15 PM »
I wouldn't say the hell speculation is based on anything. The space speculation is based on many data points, as haeros and I have shown.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Hatateru

• Hatatatatatatatatatatatatata
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2013, 01:01:44 PM »
Shenism (shen = 神, deity)? First time I ever heard of the term. So it's a controversial way of saying "Chinese folk religion". It's synthetic, and literally inseparatable from Buddhism and Taoism in China. The hermits and celestials of Touhou universe have taken a lot of inspiration from that, and we are bound to see more of it in Hopeless Masquerade.

I'm not quite sure but compared to the kind of Taoism Miko and her crew practices, Shenism is more about worshipping deities and gods rather than going after immortality. Miko's Taoism is basically more philosophical unlike the usual shamanistic Chinese folk religion.

Also, regarding the hell speculation it would be pretty interesting to see more Kishin should the prediction be spot on :3
And then a sacked Sakuya told everyone that Flandre was one of her ex-bosses

« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2013, 07:20:03 PM »
Weeeeeeell, technically SA took place in A hell.  :P

Former Hell doesn't count. All the interesting stuff moved out leaving only a big hole, parts of which are on fire. There's something uniquely charming about armies of oni running an efficient soul-correction engine. I've always been interested in the Ministry of Right and Wrong ever since PMiSS's colophon.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:02:47 PM by Clarste »