Author Topic: ZUN in America: What to Expect and What Not to Expect  (Read 15377 times)

Keine Kamishirasawa

• The Great Sealed Historian
  • Acta est fabula, plaudite!

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
Re: ZUN in America: What to Expect and What Not to Expect
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 07:40:16 AM »
Well written, thanks Kilga.

god I hope everything goes okay

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 08:16:13 AM »
I don't see any reason why it shouldn't, unless something really unusual happens, or a crazed fan goes yandere for ZUN.

If all goes well, hopefully ZUN will come to the U.S. again in the future, and perhaps go to a con that I can access more easily...

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 08:22:38 AM »
Excellent detailed news item. Logically many things like schedules (as mentioned) and specific details are on their way.

I do hope there will be like a official live-feed / recording (like NicoNico did) for all those who couldn't go. That would be a major blast. All we can do is hope.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 08:53:17 AM »
Depending on my ability to go I plan on livetweeting my every moan and ugh as I realize how many smelly neckbeards surround me.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Drake

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 09:24:32 AM »
Written by Kilga, avatar of Purvis?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 09:48:54 AM »
Good detail in the article. Now we can wait and hope everything goes smoothly.

Seconding official recording as an option.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 09:55:49 AM »
If we're allowed to record we definitely have someone in our group with both the equipment and the experience to handle that.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 12:13:39 PM »
Depending on my ability to go I plan on livetweeting my every moan and ugh as I realize how many smelly neckbeards surround me.
AWA doesn't have as many neckbeards as you'd think. There are some, but most of them go to Dragoncon and therefore don't have the money for AWA.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 12:42:37 PM »
Colored horses?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 01:23:52 PM »
Me thinks that might be a MLP stab.  :derp:

But yeah, very well written article there! Anyone who goes should enjoy themselves, and count their lucky stars they are getting to see ZUN at a State-Side Con; even if it's just a quick passing 'hi.' ^^

{Is still spreading paru-ness due to location. :V }

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »
Me thinks that might be a MLP stab.  :derp:

Ah right, of course.

Yeah, I think this is a good base guideline for tempering expectations. The most important point, for those of us who cannot attend, being that it is unlikely the WTC will flood Atlanta and do terrible, embarrassing things that will forever brand us as awful people. For those who can attend, the basic message of "respect AWA's policies, respect ZUN" seems to go without saying but is still important to re-iterate.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

danyun

• Accomplished Lurker
  • Hey
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 06:26:43 PM »
I have never been so Parsee in my whole life. Especially since my friend who lives  in Atlanta can go.....
Curse this west coast.
I like rain. Do you like rain?

Sixten

• Legendary Creature - Frog
  • 6/10
    • House of Sixten
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 10:00:03 PM »
Who's in charge of collecting the gifts to send to the High Priest? I won't be able to attend the con, but I would like to send him copies of my two doujinshi (rated 13+ for mild fantasy violence and religious philosophy).

There'll be extra copies for the one who delivers them, of course.

I expect many other Western doujin artists will be wanting to send their books as well.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:06:55 PM by Sixten »

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 10:04:14 PM »
If we're allowed to record we definitely have someone in our group with both the equipment and the experience to handle that.
If Crunchyroll and/or NicoNico show up, maybe they'd be willing to stream it. If not, we would love and appreciate it if we could get someone to record it.

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 10:07:57 PM »
Even if video recording ain't allowed, I'm sure that voice recording + transcription is a viable option for sharing what's covered.
Of course, that's only assuming that someone's willing to put up with all that work.

What are the chances the American Touhou Community overruns this con and cements the worst possible opinion of Westerners in ZUN?s mind? Inquiring tin foil hats need to know!
- ZUN attends multiple annual events in his home country where gobs of people sell all kind of unsavory smut using his creations. If he keeps going back to those people year after year, what is any individual Westerner going to do to disgust him so much?
This is gold.

Also, very true. Given how prominent a figure he is in the doujin world, he'd probably have had his fair share of trolls.
He's a smart dude, and would have reasonable expectations. </fanboy>

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 10:13:30 PM »
Also, very true. Given how prominent a figure he is in the doujin world, he'd probably have had his fair share of trolls.
He's a smart dude, and would have reasonable expectations. </fanboy>

Someone once tried to steal his copyright and ZUN wasn't in the least shaken by it (also the troll didn't win), so yeah, the ZUN abides. :V

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 11:07:05 PM »
Video recording equipment will be at the con, guaranteed. It's like no one actually bothered to read the first paragraph of that part of the post. :C

Written by Kilga, avatar of Purvis?

Someone didn't read Psycho Plot Mafia despite being one of the characters in it.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Drake

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 11:17:55 PM »
I completely forgot that existed, thank you Kilga

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 12:54:55 AM »
Even if video recording ain't allowed, I'm sure that voice recording + transcription is a viable option for sharing what's covered.

The AWA 2011 Touhou Panel was recorded in its entirety. No worries on whether it's allowed.

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 11:06:12 PM »
Hopefully, this will run smoothly.

I might bring up down one of my touhou books to get signed if ZUN does happen to have a signing session. I'm coming down from Canada, so if anybody wants me to bring something special from up here, I can.

Maybe the group that is going (us) can come up with certain questions we might want to ask during the Q&A panel, so if somebody in our group gets picked, these questions could get asked. I think there's some stuff people around here want to ask in particular.

Who is running AWA's touhou panel and photoshoot anyway?

Jam-Kiske

• i am not witty
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 01:11:12 AM »
The AWA 2011 Touhou Panel was recorded in its entirety. No worries on whether it's allowed.
It should be noted that sometimes guests can't be recorded for whatever legal reasons, so just cuz the con lets fan run panels be recorded doesn't necessarily mean ZUN will be recordable for sure.

Though since ZUN basically is his own company, I don't foresee any issues, but you never know.

Was not excited to see an absolutely no recording/pictures/anything of any kind policy with a Japanese guest at Otakon last year since everyone will just have to take my word that I saw said guest since there's no proof. >:

zeruna

• It's zeruna!
  • Not Zeruna!
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 03:01:26 AM »
>Checks MotK's homepage after a long break.
>" ZUN will be making his first stateside appearance at Anime Weekend Atlanta"
Me: Fuck yeah! :O
>"in September"
Me: ...Well, at least I know what I'll be doing in the next 6 months. 

KLH

• 47 accounts in my account account
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 06:17:14 AM »
It is also exceedingly likely that ZUN does not especially care about self-insert trolls or colored horses, so don?t even.
>colored horses

This made me laugh.

watch some idiot drop the spaghetti anyway
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 10:41:03 AM by KlLLAH573 »

2hu is a ghey shooter pl@y COD you f@gs
COD 4 life #swag #yolo #360noscope #lensflare #Skrillex
Main YouTube Channel
Main Reupload Channel