Author Topic: Pixie Dust isn't the only good dust [RWBY Thread]  (Read 83360 times)

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
Pixie Dust isn't the only good dust [RWBY Thread]
« on: February 10, 2013, 12:53:36 AM »

So have anyone already heard or seen this? Created by the same guy who made Dead Fantasy. Yes, it's Monty Oum!
RWBY is about four (awesome)fighting girls, that are named as Red(Ruby Rose), White(Weiss Schnee), Black(Blake Belladona), and Yellow(Yang Xiao Ling) respectively.

The first trailer is Red/Ruby's trailer, who is another Little Red Fighting Hood. A lot of you already know what a gunblade looks like right? Well what about a friggin' gunscythe? It's called Crescent Rose. Though it's said to be a hybrid of a rifle and a scythe, not a revolver-like Squall's nor Claire's.

[Streaming]
Trailers:
[Youtube Links - Official Channel]
Red / Ruby Rose
White / Weiss Schnee
Black / Blake Belladonna
Yellow / Yang Xiao Ling

Series Episodes :
[Roosterteeth Website]
Episode 1 - Ruby Rose - Premiered first on RTX 2013, July 5th
Episode 2 - Shining Beacon Pt. 1
Episode 3 - Shining Beacon Pt. 2
Episode 4 - The First Step Pt. 1
Episode 5 - The First Step Pt. 2
Episode 6 - The Emerald Forest Pt. 1
Episode 7 - The Emerald Forest Pt. 2
Episode 8 - Players and Pieces
Episode 9 - The Badge and The Burden

(New Episodes Update Every Fridays - Eastern Time; Thursdays - Western Time)

[Etc]
Archives
Webstore
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 05:53:15 AM by En »

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Bio

• resident walker
Re: [RWBY]
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 01:26:39 AM »
It has nice character and weapon design which I can get inspiration off.

Also when I think of 3D CG I only think of idols.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 05:28:24 AM »
Well.  This looks pretty awesome.

I'm gonna have to follow this!

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 08:26:43 AM »
Well damn.  That actually surprised me. Rooster Teeth seems to be involved too.
Weapon acts like a bolt action .50 calibur with a pnuematic blade. Unrealistic, but very unique and interesting.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 09:32:26 AM »
The recoil from the rifle portion is used to compensate for otherwise lackluster strength, hence all the spinning motions to gather momentum and such. Nice to see some thought put into the physics, even if it's not realistic to begin with. :P
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 11:29:02 AM »
Now this one looks awesome. I'm interested.

Zerviscos

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 12:07:52 PM »
It has nice character and weapon design which I can get inspiration off.

Also when I think of 3D CG I only think of idols.
It does kind of remind me of those 3D Vocaloid concerts.
Well damn.  That actually surprised me. Rooster Teeth seems to be involved too.
Weapon acts like a bolt action .50 calibur with a pnuematic blade. Unrealistic, but very unique and interesting.
Well it would make sense that the bullets are piercing;
"A high velocity sniper scythe named "Crescent Rose"
? Monty Oum

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 09:54:55 PM »

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 10:44:04 PM »
This is seriously shaping up into something awesome.

Now I can't wait for the black trailer even though we've got no news about it yet.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 11:20:22 PM »
It's like Orie from Undernight In-birth!
Sugoiiii~

Zerviscos

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 01:04:47 AM »
Well atleast now it's obvious that they do have real names.
First it was simply Red, White, Black, and Yellow. But The latter showed us Ruby for Red, and Weiss Schnee for White. Which now make sense since Ruby is from the Blood-Red Gemstone, Weiss and Schnee are from German meaning White and Snow.

Anyways, I partly guessed, and most of the fans did, that Weiss is a person in some form of royalty or nobility. Judging from her tiara, and her weapon of choice, the rapier. It seemed to deem obvious.

Next up is Black. Guessing it's between April and early May, and Yellow between late May and June. Since episode 1 premiere is on July.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 01:13:14 AM by En »

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 05:44:36 AM »
But but you aren't supposed to be slashing with a rapier.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 06:47:17 AM »
Man ... I wish this was a game, because I want to play it.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 09:05:03 AM »

occasionally thrusting swords would be sharpened along the sides. it's also a magic weapon with a revolving magic cylinder elemental whatsit, so whatever! \o/
Sugoiiii~

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 01:12:04 PM »
You know how Red is from Little Riding Hood, what about White? Who is the Knight in her story? (I saw a post on tumblr which was something like 'mirror, who is the loneliness of that all' so it was different than my initial impression that she was the princess in the story <_>)

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

Zerviscos

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 02:15:01 PM »
You know how Red is from Little Riding Hood, what about White? Who is the Knight in her story? (I saw a post on tumblr which was something like 'mirror, who is the loneliness of that all' so it was different than my initial impression that she was the princess in the story <_>)
Well as far as I know. Even though Ruby is a variant of another Little Riding Hood. Monty Oum stated himself, that no fairy tales will be related to RWBY whatsoever. The Mirror Mirror you saw is probably the song of White's trailer.

We can never really guess "what kind" of characters they really are, let alone their appearance.
Our only good basis is the lyrics of each song itself. Though the first song in the first trailer provides the heaviest insights of each character.
Red like roses fills my dreams and brings me to the place you rest
White is cold and always yearning burdened by a royal test
Black the beast descends from shadows
Yellow beauty burns gold
The second song is probably only White's own accord in her experience. Probably saying that she fought that knight for a reason. And also, a knight as an enemy? A rapier? A tiara? Spellcasting? Those clearly are signs of some form of royalty/nobility-relation of the character. But still the clue in the first song "burdened by a royal test". That's what gave it away.

Though there are some fan speculations. Even though Monty Oum said it would not be based off fairy tales. Weiss Schnee meaning "White Snow" in German can also be a reference to "Snow White". Mirror Mirror, the song of her trailer must be also based from Snow White's stepmother, Queen Grimhilde's Mirror. Other than that Snow White is a German fairy tale.

All those lead up to the point of two speculations: One, Monty Oum just based off the characters from fairy tales, but the story has no relation to any fairy tales; or two, he pretty much lied and trolled everyone.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 02:23:20 PM by En »

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 02:56:02 PM »
All those lead up to the point of two speculations: One, Monty Oum just based off the characters from fairy tales, but the story has no relation to any fairy tales; or two, he pretty much lied and trolled everyone.
Yeah your first speculation seems to be where it's going right now.

If they are truly just based off of the characters though, I can't really think who Black would be.

As for Yellow, the closest fit I can think of would be Goldilocks.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 11:14:33 PM »
I mentioned this earlier on IRC, but Black is likely to be related somehow to Beauty and the Beast.
Yellow could be goldilocks but I get the sneaking suspicion it's Rumplestiltskin's girl, since she was made to spin gold.

and I must say, Weiss' scar is delicious.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 11:18:42 PM by Amra »
Sugoiiii~

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 12:00:57 AM »
Wow. Just wow. Even with all the anime, and weapon stuff I'm into there are still weapons I've not seen done before. Gunblade? GUN SCYTHE. [Not to mention some of the scythe moves she did have given me inspiration to make my mental image of Elly's fighting style even more awesome.]

I love the fencer archetype [It's the only reason why I play Fiora in LoL :V], but an elemental spellcasting rapier wielder that also forms magical seals to jump off from and attack at impossible angles? Now THAT is brilliant.

It's clearly bladed at the sides. In fact, it's shape appears to be triangular [Otherwise you would only see one face in this screenshot, the top face is angled for the 3rd face], with three flat sides, and hence, three edges around it to slice things with. It's not a normal rapier, although it's styles like one. It's a weapon that can both cut and stab.

Also a triangle is the strongest structural shape, so it should be a LOT better at slicing attacks than a normal Rapier, which is far flimsier. For that matter, it should be better at thrusting too, since being less flimsy means more force can be put into a thrust.

Why are there not triangular blades already?

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:13:06 AM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 12:14:09 AM »
Wow. Just wow. Even with all the anime, and weapon stuff I'm into there are still weapons I've not seen done before. Gunblade? GUN SCYTHE.
Seen it done. Twice. :V

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 12:15:41 AM »
Seen it done. Twice. :V

I've not played that game. Nor do I know where that's from. But point conceded, it's been done before [Even if it seems to be a Scythe-Shotgun and not a Scythe-Rifle]. Just not widely enough for me to have been aware.

Still not as awesome.

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 03:19:09 AM »
A two edged blade allows you to swing in both directions to slice people. A three edged blade only lets you slice in one direction but allows you to have a slightly more powerful thrust (as in stopping power), but that leaves clunky edges which aren't '360 degrees' so to speak. The thinner the edge the easier it is to slice things, that's common knowledge. It would definitely be tougher though, and you could parry quite easily with it, but as I said a triangle shape would only leave one cutting edge.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 06:22:57 PM »
A two edged blade allows you to swing in both directions to slice people. A three edged blade only lets you slice in one direction but allows you to have a slightly more powerful thrust (as in stopping power), but that leaves clunky edges which aren't '360 degrees' so to speak. The thinner the edge the easier it is to slice things, that's common knowledge. It would definitely be tougher though, and you could parry quite easily with it, but as I said a triangle shape would only leave one cutting edge.

Except why does the number of cutting edges matter? You're only cutting with one edge at once. [And there's three cutting edges, one between each face, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean] Although the fact it's more of a wedge than a traditional shape would mean more of the victim gets in the way, making it more difficult to make deeper wounds.

I guess it would also be heavier.

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 11:22:42 PM »
Because in order to have three potential cutting edges, all three will be at such a large angle that it would be more of a blunt instrument than a sword.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 01:05:12 AM »
Except why does the number of cutting edges matter?
It means you can only swing one way to actually cut.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 01:11:16 AM »
It means you can only swing one way to actually cut.

Usually you only need to swing one way, unless outnumbered.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2013, 03:14:28 AM »
Usually you only need to swing one way, unless outnumbered.

in terms of 1v1 I can think of numerous situations where having a double edged weapon would give you some very quick followups that would be awkward if not impossible to dodge.
Sugoiiii~

Zerviscos

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2013, 03:31:11 AM »
Speaking of cutting edges.
Here's something:
Single Edge - A bladed weapon that only has one cutting edge. It is advantageous as it can be pointed only to the opposing target. Though when trying to slash or hit in reverse, you need to turn the blade around.
Double Edge - A bladed weapon that has two cutting edge opposite of each other. It is advantageous and disadvantageous to the user as one of it's edges is also pointed towards you. Though if handled with right techniques, it can be very advantageous to the user.
Triple Edge - A non-classified bladed weapon. It is rare, probably you won't even find a branded and a named triple-edge bladed weapon, and quite possibly there's a reason. It's very disadvantageous. In the olden times, warfare with swords are one of the most common. There have been made single edge, and double edge weapons. There are also edgeless weapons, backswords and such. But why no triple edge? A sword can only be slashed through an enemy along it's flat surface. A triple edge means three edges on a sword, but there can only be two sides of a sword. So where does the other edge goes? Of course it'd be in the middle. Slashing will be a big problem, even if one side is used, as there will be a stopping force from one of the edges if attempt for a straight cut is made. You will need mundane amount of physical strength to cut through. Otherwise the blade will be as blunt as an edgeless blade and will prove very little in combat, and it will be most likely a mace rather than an actual sword. A triple edge sword though can prove effective like a thrust sword, as chain woven armor can be split and pierced through with it's edges, and do sufficiently large damage to the target.

Weiss Schnee rapier is not triple edge, it's a double edged blade to a pointed tip. The middle part you see is called the "Central Ridge". Even if it's diamond-like structure, it's not considered a third edge.

A rapier doesn't need to be only for thrusting, though it's proven effective that way that it can be used for it as piercing through armor. But there's a reason why a rapier CAN be made as a single edge, double edge, and even as an edgeless blade like an Estoc. Because there are some blades made specifically for usage, a katana is a long sword, curved, single edge blade used for slicing, a Bastard sword is a hand and a half sword that can be both used by two hands, or one hand with a shield on the off hand, a Zweihander is a heavy sword which requires two hands used to slash slow but powerful, and cannot be used for cavalry, some however see the rapier in its entire time-line and see that it never truly fits into any single definition[eg. Cut/Slash/Thrust/etc].

A rapier is a longsword, which is also a straight sword. So of course it would be given as a technique to be used like "half-sword", the technique of thrusting. Though that does not mean it cannot be used for slashing or cutting.
Though Weiss Schnee's sword may actually be a backsword, since it may have a "false edge". Due to it's fans it was called a rapier. Then again, we do not see any edge near the tip, and being a backsword it would need to be only single edged. As for the hilt is a complex, protective hilt, basket-like guard, which most rapiers actually use.

BUT STILL, we don't know if it's actually a rapier. It's only fan's speculations.

Though I don't know how'd you guys get into the topic of three-edge blades. I have made my point otherwise.
Plus I don't think we should be arguing about it from the first place, as I doubt the creator actually has any much ideas about swords, when actually making "fictional" weapons in the first place.

Edit:
I forgot to note that Weiss' rapier is actually like a "diamond rapier". It has "four edges", but it is actually still just a central ridge that provided additional thrust prowess as such a triple edge. It is still a double edge that is shaped like a diamond.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:08:35 PM by En »

Zerviscos

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 12:26:31 AM »
Update Update!

I found it on their facebook page earlier, but I don't want to link you guys on a facebook page so I'll just repost what they said.

We're pleased to announce that the next RWBY Trailer will premiere at our PAX East panel, Friday March 22 at 1 PM in the Main Theater!
Start the countdown!

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 01:41:29 AM »
Huh. That's a lot sooner than I thought it'd be.