Author Topic: ZUN coming to the United States?!?  (Read 79809 times)

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
ZUN coming to the United States?!?
« on: February 05, 2013, 08:55:38 AM »
http://www.awa-con.com/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=308&cntnt01returnid=15

Oh my god.... can this really be true?  I'm hoping it's not a hoax, but it seems pretty legit to me.  In that case, I know where I'm going this September...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:58:15 AM by AJS »

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
Re: ZUN coming to the United States?!?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 10:46:39 AM »
Somehow I figured it was going to be a matter of time, but I thought it would require more effort. Though I will point out last year when I interviewed Konstantin Koptev when he met up with ZUN back last year. He mentioned about the fact that he talked to ZUN about our fanbase and conventions and mentioned about AWA along with AB and Sakura-con, and ZUN himself mentioned he was actually interested in seeing what the US fan base was like. Though back then it was mostly him "considering the option" but now we know it's 100% confirmed now.

ZUN's coming to the US. My wish has been fulfilled. Now it time for us as the fans to find a way to make his visit here be a welcoming one and one that he will remember. I for one will definitely consider Atlanta as an option now for a planned con visit. (Assuming I get hired back once business picks up)

But yes, this to me is the best news I've been waiting for since becoming a fan of Touhou was to meet the man himself. I will be looking forward to it!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:49:33 AM by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 10:49:53 AM »
I don't live in US, so I have no opinion on this.
It's pretty hard to hoax an announcement.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:39:19 PM by Kilgamayan »

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 11:15:38 AM »
Even though I'm not tin the US, this is a very big thing! I mean, after all these years, ZUN finally says 'hey, why not head to the US for once.'

Probably couldn't ask for more, I guess. So yeah, anyone who does end up going, make sure you make it the best con you can possibly meet at! And don't drink with the man, unless you want to make a fool of your... Wait, maybe that wasn't the best line to use as an example of going against ZUN in drinking contests. :V

But yeah, I look forward to hearing, and seeing pictures, about the whole thing. Guess I can always try and wave a small flag saying 'Come to the UK, please.' Doubt that'll happen... >>

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 12:10:55 PM »
Good job, Mint. I knew you lot could do it.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 01:13:41 PM »
I don't think I'd be able to make this event, but all the same hearing ZUN is coming to the US is big news. I hope he enjoys his stay here.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 01:22:43 PM »
I've got fun money enough to fly myself if triangles doesn't come with me

I'mma bring my China figure for him to sign

I'mma cosplay as the motherfucker

I'mma make a special homebrew for the occasion

Anyone know what kind of beer ZUN likes? 

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 01:42:16 PM »
Alcoholic

This is actually my hometown convention as well, having staffed a few times while I was in college. I would be incredibly jealous if it weren't for the fact that I've already met him, but I am starting to consider going back home for that week... But yeah, I hope it goes well for him and people don't act like total buffoons (MINT).

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 01:42:53 PM »

Well from the interview I had with Konstantin, I did ask him about ZUN's favorite beer (since he did meet up with hin in Akihabara last year) and as it turns out he told me this....

Quote from: Konstantin
He seems to consider Kirin Lager to be one of the smoother beers, and thus tends to prefer it, though he doesn't really have a favorite beer.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 01:57:11 PM »
I'm going to get con drunk with a legend. Just you watch

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 02:39:04 PM »
Is there going to be a livestream of that interview/panel (if ever), or just a transcript?

i swear to god this wasn't here when i made that thread

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 02:43:46 PM »
Talk about an opportunity! Definitely going to make this a high priority for the year, and will make any effort to go. Should not be that hard considering Atlanta's not too far.

Better not forget this part:
I'm going to get con drunk with a legend. Just you watch
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 03:03:04 PM »
So who wants to get in on a pool for the number of people that will ask ZUN for his autograph but won't actually have an official piece of merchandise for him to sign? <_<

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 03:04:57 PM »
Good job, Mint. I knew you lot could do it.
We are a special breed, though I am not the one to thank. I'd brought up the subject many a time with the people behind it, but they pulled it off.

We will try to livestream the panel, but I have to see how the internet situation is at the hotel. Hopefully, it'll work out. If the NicoNico or Crunchyroll guys are there, maybe they can help us with that aspect of it as well.

As far as ZUN being in Atlanta, we have plans and ideas to make his stay legitimately welcome; we want him to feel less like an anime guest to an anime convention and more like a Japanese guest to America. Things will work out well.

Edit: I have an Akyu's Untouched Score with Mima on it. Gonna get that signed. Right where Mima is.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 03:28:46 PM »
How'd things turn out with the Kogasa-san person when he went to...Anime Boston, was it?  Perhaps some hints for setting up ZUN's visit well could be learned from their experience?

EDIT: On the subject of items to have signed, I've got my copy of PCB ready and waiting, because Youmu.  (Also my first Touhou game I owned, so double the reasons!)

I wonder how long the line'll be altogether?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:31:09 PM by Jq1790 »
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 03:29:05 PM »
You're going to have ZUN symbolically remove Mima from Touhou canon by scribbling all over her face? I approve of this course of action.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 03:40:09 PM »
Gonna have him sign my Reimu figure and sell it for ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 03:42:48 PM »
Gonna have him sign my Reimu figure and sell it for ONE MILLION DOLLARS!
I'm the one with the unopened ZUN art Reimu figure. I'm going for one hundred BILLION DOLLARS.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
ZUN coming to the United States
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 03:56:25 PM »
I should send one of you my copy of PoFV to sign, if for no other reason than it's the only game of his I have that won't run on my comp.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 04:30:03 PM »
I'm the one with the unopened ZUN art Reimu figure. I'm going for one hundred BILLION DOLLARS.

I'm gonna have him sign my wife in her China cosplay as well as the fig and then have sex with both

umadbros?

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 04:33:37 PM »
I kep asking myself, "What Atlanta?" until I remembered that interview thing from a while ago. It's far enough in advance that I should be able to scrounge up money, so I'll bring my copy of EoSD~

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 04:40:06 PM »
Already reserved a room. Gonna host the Official Touhou Room Parties.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 04:41:32 PM »
Those ought to be fun.

As for signing goodies...I have 3 of his music CDs I bought at prior cons, those should work. Or whatever I grab between now and then.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

ciddypoo

• Kappa Class STG Player
  • Santa didn't give me a present.
    • A Certain Judgment-Al Anime Review
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 04:41:45 PM »
Curiously, how often does Zun make trips over to cons in the US?

Also uh, anyone know how signings would work for this? For most places I've gone to, only 'official' materials are usually accepted to be signed by guests. Since Touhou's doujin with a boatload of 'unofficial' items, is there gonna be a hissyfit about that? Might be something to look into if you're going to risk bringing some expensive merchandise that might not be able to be signed? Iunno.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:44:16 PM by ciddypoo »

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 04:47:02 PM »
Curiously, how often does Zun make trips over to cons in the US?
This will be his first visit Stateside, so it's a really big deal.  He(if memory serves; someone correct me if I'm wrong) never really considered the thought of a Western fanbase, so til recently we weren't even on the radar.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 04:52:05 PM »
Also uh, anyone know how signings would work for this? For most places I've gone to, only 'official' materials are usually accepted to be signed by guests. Since Touhou's doujin with a boatload of 'unofficial' items, is there gonna be a hissyfit about that? Might be something to look into if you're going to risk bringing some expensive merchandise that might not be able to be signed? Iunno.
We'll be talking with the staff quite a bit about this.

1) I want to absolutely ensure we do not have a debacle like last year where the Touhou panel was confined to a small room that filled up and shut out literally the same number of people, because GAIA ONLINE "NEEDED" OUR OLD ROOM.
2) Since doujin material is so big in the world of Touhou, we'll find out what can get signed and what can't. We will obviously shoot for "within the realm of reason" so ZUN isn't getting flooded with a bunch of H-doujinshi or stupid TOUHOU HIJACK LOL shirts. We will keep you posted.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 05:02:11 PM »
It's also worth noting that most cons tend to limit the number of things you can ask a guest to sign. I'd suggest tempering expectations for getting entire music libraries signed.

I'm half tempted to ask him to sign my copy of Super Marisa World just for the humor factor. <_<

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 05:09:44 PM »
I'm half tempted to ask him to sign my copy of Super Marisa World just for the humor factor. <_<
Better yet, RKS.

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 05:13:59 PM »
Is anyone aware of how fluent ZUN is with English?  I'm wondering if he's going to run the panel and meet his fans by himself, or if he's going to have an interpreter beside him, like Mizuki did at Anime Boston.  I need to know whether or not I have to bother my friend to give me a crash course in Japanese.  :V

Not sure if it's quite the same, but when I met a voice actor at Anime Expo last year (Steve Blum to be precise), he signed literally anything fans put in front of him.  And he was an official guest at the con too, so maybe...?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 05:21:27 PM by AJS »

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 05:31:58 PM »
Is anyone aware of how fluent ZUN is with English?  I'm wondering if he's going to run the panel and meet his fans by himself, or if he's going to have an interpreter beside him, like Mizuki did at Anime Boston.  I need to know whether or not I have to bother my friend to give me a crash course in Japanese.  :V
Learning Japanese to speak with a Japanese person is not a bad idea ever, so you might as well err on the side of "no interpreter", regardless of the final outcome.