Author Topic: Maple Story  (Read 16551 times)

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
Maple Story
« on: August 02, 2009, 07:25:10 AM »
Anyone here actually play?

Those who do . . . discuss whatever.

I'll open the floor with . . . Knights of Cygnus?

Playing a Night Walker on Windia . . . my goodness, I'm loving so much about it. Max Dark Sight at 10 levels of it? Sweet. Still deals OK damage with daggers, even if they don't get ANY skills in them? I'm happy. Gets a summon 1st Job that helps immensely with training? Win.

All in all, I'm happy with my KoC experiences, especially what with how quickly they level in the beginning due to all the quests they get extra. (300 Rocky Masks with a sin-like is still a pain in the behind, though, even with a pack of Steelies.)

So now . . . discuss either your experiences involving KoC, or go off on your own MS-related topic! Have a blast!
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN1-BN3 = Odd Idea
IceStage * + Aqua Navi, BN4-BN6 = Bad Idea

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
Re: Maple Story
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 07:28:21 AM »
Oh god you poor soul.

... you don't want to know what I named my Thunder Breaker. But I will agree that KoC seems way more fun/tolerable than the normal classes, and the 'plot' quests they get are kinda neat.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 07:41:59 AM »
Oh god you poor soul.

... you don't want to know what I named my Thunder Breaker. But I will agree that KoC seems way more fun/tolerable than the normal classes, and the 'plot' quests they get are kinda neat.

I'm sure my imagination will prove worse than what you came up with, but I'll take your word for it.

As for KoC having nice plot quets: yeah. Kinda laughed at the bit involving the Mysterious Statue, though. Poor thing.

And Puppeteer was kinda annoying, seeing as I decided to wear my derp hat that day and didn't splurge to get some All Cures. He wasn't hard, sure, but it's kinda annoying to 'WALK THIS WAY' stage left without any say in the matter. Same goes for the Sealing.

Also, insult to injury, a mook dropped an All Cure shortly after that battle. I facepalmed and laughed.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 06:15:11 PM »
My younger bro used to play Maple Story and totally Rage quit due to the fact you get tossed around when ever you get hit by an enemy. Needless to say I'm not going to play any mmorpgs for a while since I just broke off a 3 year WOW affair.

But playing Maple Story is kinda of pointless these days thanks to the large amount of free 3D Korean-made cookie cutter loli mmorpgs out these days. ie flyff, luna online

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 06:15:51 PM »
Starting around LV20 it will become the hardest level grinding this game is infamous for. Have to read strategy guides on leveling location and didn't die too much to get one level per hour. Ahh...The good old days of looking at numbers of this data and that data that to see which skill/class is good for this or that.

Suggest anyone to quit this game if possible.

4th job is frightening awesome though.

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 06:50:44 PM »
Starting around LV20 it will become the hardest level grinding this game is infamous for. Have to read strategy guides on leveling location and didn't die too much to get one level per hour. Ahh...The good old days of looking at numbers of this data and that data that to see which skill/class is good for this or that.

Suggest anyone to quit this game if possible.

4th job is frightening awesome though.

Knights of Cygnus get to Level 20 quickly enough by their 'plot'-related quests, leaving a lot of the normal ones behind to boost you up to 25, where they throw more plot quests (though you'll want to take quests on the side like those of Winston if you want to keep levelling) at you, and when you finally get to 30 the job advancement is rather easy.

Funfact: Knights of Cygnus get 1 extra AP per level; this really adds up, as I've heard of Level 36 KoC's outclassing Lv50 Adventurers (the normal classes) in Ludi PQ.

shinyjam

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 06:53:38 PM »
Seem like American version is somewhat different since the last time I checked, I play the Asia version so I don't get most of the names and the difficulties might be scaled lower.

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 07:08:23 PM »
I think the enemy stats are identical in all versions of MS, but I know the areas available are different, including certain items from shops and PQ rewards. The friend that dragged me back in just recently made a point of those zany Koreans standing up to that Pink Bean three-party-level-200 boss without access to the +120-attack Onyx Apples adored in the US Global version.

Things have, however, gotten a lot more reasonable since I last 'really' played (again with friends) like two years ago. Now there are a lot more areas to goof around with, lots of quests (with an increasing number that are actually worthwhile!), and some nice little convenience improvements.

Unfortunately the economy and social atmosphere are still shit, but that's not too unexpected.

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 08:47:20 PM »
I think the enemy stats are identical in all versions of MS, but I know the areas available are different, including certain items from shops and PQ rewards. The friend that dragged me back in just recently made a point of those zany Koreans standing up to that Pink Bean three-party-level-200 boss without access to the +120-attack Onyx Apples adored in the US Global version.

Things have, however, gotten a lot more reasonable since I last 'really' played (again with friends) like two years ago. Now there are a lot more areas to goof around with, lots of quests (with an increasing number that are actually worthwhile!), and some nice little convenience improvements.

Unfortunately the economy and social atmosphere are still shit, but that's not too unexpected.

Yeah, the economy and society are still a little meh, I will admit.

But that's why you either bring your own friends in or end up picking up friends that are actually decent people (I've been lucky in that respect, I think).

As for convenience improvements, the release of Magatia (an alchemy-themed area) in Global made flights on airships free -- a real blessing considering how travel used to eat out a nice portion of your wallet, especially if you travel a lot like I do. I was extremely happy about that; now all it costs me to travel is time (unless I want to take the Victoria-Ereve-Orbis route to get between Vic and Orbis quicker).

Also, there's a couple quests going on now in Global that will actually get you higher-level fairly quickly if exploited; there's this 'Master M' event (no relation) involving secret agents and various missions -- two of which give fairly decent EXP for relatively little effort. The first, Agent O's mission, involves the Minidungeons -- after taking the quest from Agent O (after taking the no-effort-just-talk intro from Gaga), you just go in the Minidungeon and do whatever for 30 minutes (including put MS in windowed mode and browse the internet/MotK), a box appears after 30 minutes passes, you break open the box in 20 hits exactly and take the item that pops out to Agent O.

And then there's Agent W's quest, gotten through the Admin NPC; it's a jump quest (gag) featuring lots of Hoguls (double-gag) that can be broken in half by Thieves with Dark Sight (wut?), because you would normally get kicked out of the map by touching a Hogul . . . but it's only because you took damage from it, and they neglected (most likely on purpose) to put up that usual 'dark sight does nothing' property for the Hoguls (yay!). Translation: get your Thief, and rush through as many times and get Watermelons from the ending (Chumji's Watermelon, to be exact, though there is a chance of the Use item Watermelon dropping at the same time as the quest item, which actually can be traded or stored [hint-hint]). The best part of this? The reward is 10,000 EXP. And a Level 30 weapon for your class (an innertube that mimics one of your class's weapons) and oftentimes has better stats than the normal one. But it expires after a while, so it's mostly for the EXP (though you CAN sell the innertubes in an NPC shop for 5k Mesos, so it's also a bit lucrative).

So yeah, good times in Global now.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 09:10:06 PM »
Oy, I played this game maybe 3 years ago before dropping it after a month. Is it worth playing again if one starts over with friends? I already play more MMOs than I should, so I don't want to start something else since I don't want MMOs to take all of my spare time.

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 09:27:21 PM »
Oy, I played this game maybe 3 years ago before dropping it after a month. Is it worth playing again if one starts over with friends? I already play more MMOs than I should, so I don't want to start something else since I don't want MMOs to take all of my spare time.

I'd say it's good to play with friends. Just keep in mind which class caters to your usual fighting style; it helps if you choose to play something that you can play well with (case in point, I suck at Archer play but rock out with an I/L, Bandit, or Night Walker [plays like a Sin, for those who don't know]).

Also, you might be interested in the new class they introduced, Pirate; it takes the split involved in Thieves and takes it a step way further; Brawlers and Gunslingers use two entirely different AP builds (Brawlers are STR-heavy, Gunslingers are DEX-heavy), and each has skills that make them unique and seperate from their peers in the Melee and Ranged departments; Brawlers get extremely-powerful physical blows, but next to none of them do more than one hit, while Gunslingers get the ability to jump-shoot much like a Sin, but their first-job double-shot skill is actually so rapid-fire that it is analogous to a machine gun. I'm not joking. Meanwhile, in subsequent jobs, Brawlers get a sneaking skill and some more one-hit attacks, while Gunslingers get a summon or two, some more projectile skills, and later on they get a skill to hijack monsters.

And in 4th Job (and 3rd Job, for the Brawler), each Pirate gets a single active buff skill that changes them and while active enables new skills that are suitably powerful. The Brawler gets 'Transformation' and later 'Super Transformation' -- this basically is the Maple Story equivalent of going Super-Sayian (I kid you not; they turn into a glowing blue/yellow energy form and can dish out some CRAZY-looking attacks); the Gunslinger gets 'Battleship', which basically generates a little floating pirate ship around you and turns you into a slow-but-phenomonal TANK, complete with a spammable CANNON and a torpedo. I kid you not.

So yeah, they're definitely something to keep in mind.

shinyjam

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 09:54:16 PM »
It's been proven by math that archer is overall weaker than the other classes until 4th job, so I won't advise archer on first play.

Gunslingers
Wow I would had pick that if it had come out sooner...

I am about lv 76 ice mage btw.

Edit: went to read about the skills, those are quite epic lol.

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 01:45:29 AM »
It's been proven by math that archer is overall weaker than the other classes until 4th job, so I won't advise archer on first play.

Yeah. Learned that the hard way, I think. It was my first play, but then I decided to try Bandits after I learned they could STEAL. Yep, ditching Dagger Booster for Steal. I'm a Loonie. Especially seeing as the character is a Bandit with a Sindit build (Lucky Seven in 1st Job).

Gunslingers
Wow I would had pick that if it had come out sooner...

Edit: went to read about the skills, those are quite epic lol.

Indeed, and I actually am amazed that I forgot to mention the Float skill, which they get in 2nd Job and which lets them play Mary Poppins and dramatically slow their fall (they can also cover some nice horizontal distance with that skill, making that one of the main motivators for me getting to 2nd Job).

I am about lv 76 ice mage btw.

My I/L's at Level 40; I've yet to put any SP in anything other than Tele, Cold Beam, and Thunder Bolt, so I've yet to use Meditation or Slow (neither of which seems very useful to me, but if I'm wrong about that please tell me).

LiteYear

• Touhou Fangame Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 01:58:17 AM »
I believe I tried Maple Story back when Maple Global was in beta.  Obviously a lot has changed since then, but the game seemed far, far too grind-heavy.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 02:04:06 AM »
I believe I tried Maple Story back when Maple Global was in beta.  Obviously a lot has changed since then, but the game seemed far, far too grind-heavy.

This is why I ended up leaving in the first place. I don't really want to play if I need so much time to get from on level to the next, even with new jobs or whatever. I already have too little time for MMO gaming as it is.

shinyjam

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 02:34:30 AM »
...Bandits after I learned they could STEAL.
Yes steal is.........$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Period, but max it last unless you really really need meso over leveling

Float skill,
All these skill would make all those jumping quest much much sane...but teleport still more awesome.

I've yet to put any SP in anything other than Tele, Cold Beam, and Thunder Bolt, so I've yet to use Meditation or Slow (neither of which seems very useful to me, but if I'm wrong about that please tell me).
First thing is to get 1 point in teleport, is the mage secret weapon. Tele-casting, tele-dodging, screw jumping two panel to get to the top, life saving, and I think I outrun a bandit with speed. :D

Slow is completely useless.

Then master Ice and thunder, then go master meditate, mp eater, and teleport at any order than suit you. I think maxed meditate add about extra 100 damage, so if you have lot of meso, max this first, and if you don't have much meso, max mp eater as it save you hell load of meso.

Finally, max teleport last.

Quite a tough choice between ice and thunder though. :p
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 02:36:02 AM by shinyjam »

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 02:11:45 PM »
Started playing in 2004, quit around 2007... I was on Broa in MS Global, managed to get a level 114 pure polearm DK in that time. The mad power was fun (IIRC I was getting 8k x 6 damage per swing with Dragon Fury), but training had become absolutely ridiculous. With a priest to help, I got a level per ten hours of training. WITHOUT a priest to help, it was more like a level every 20 hours, minus millions of mesos every hour. Twenty million exp to level up was kind of insane, especialy considering it being near impossible for DKs to solo train.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 02:25:21 PM by Sapzdude »
Let's fight.

shinyjam

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 02:38:08 PM »
painful grinding memories
Same for all of us here tonight.

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 03:40:16 PM »

This is why I ended up leaving in the first place. I don't really want to play if I need so much time to get from on level to the next, even with new jobs or whatever. I already have too little time for MMO gaming as it is.

Play Dragonica Online. It doesn't take that long to level up because you can visit instances pretty early and you don't have to worry about EXP, 'cause you're either alone or in a group.
If somebody's on the German server, I'm a Lv. 31 Knight called Konpaku.
Latale wasn't too bad, either. Quit with Level 28.

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 06:52:09 PM »
far, far too grind-heavy

Yeah this is Maple in a nutshell.

Also Nexon raping you for money in every way but directly buying game items for cash. (Instead they charge you in order to participate in the market effectively!)

I play on Bera... main is a Page (I think that's what the 2nd job is called?) named JeremyMonesu. A mediocre level 68, but decently well-equipped thanks to the friend that got me playing again.

2x exp events have made life tolerable, especially with the 10-30% bonus exp pendent offered during the Cygnus event. I'm also trying to get all of the Agent equipment for my Thunder Breaker, but damn if mini-dungeon lurking isn't boring as all hell...

I didn't know the watermelon quest was so good for exp! But I don't have anything with Dark Sight so it isn't very abusable for me =( I should probably see about getting a non-grey-quality tube for the thunder breaker, though. Won't be able to match that thing until 50 or so...

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 07:09:02 PM »
I tried as an archer... I wanted to like it... but not only was it grind-heavy, it was repetitive (Press Ctrl every time I want to attack?  NO) and the drop rates for the items were beyond ridiculously low. 

Got bored after about three weeks of playing with Triangles.  This was back in '05ish-'06ish, though, given where I was living at the time.

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 07:46:45 PM »
Archer is easily the most boring class to play until 3rd-4th job, followed only by melee classes... and guns, maybe. Mages immediately get decent reliable attacks, and Lucky Stars for assassins has a stupid damage formula. Warriors and archers then maintain a "meh" ability lineup through 2nd job, but Slash Blast (<3) is more fun than finding a well-placed safety platform to sit and attack from.

Drop rates are, yes, absolutely stupid. At least for anything that matters. I think you're used to playing well-designed non-Korean MMOs. :V

shinyjam

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 08:10:16 PM »
Worst thing is the 10% exp penalty for dying, it won't be that bad if the exp isn't in the ten millions and each monster give like hundreds.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 10:07:41 PM »
Yeah, boring attack system (I tried... warrior?  I think that's what it was called?) shit drop rates and XP LOSS ON DEATH WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN made sure I only played Maple Story for a few weeks.

Why must the cute MMOs have such shitty gameplay?

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 10:11:48 PM »
Why must the cute MMOs have such shitty gameplay?
Because They're MMOs, and no MMO can ever be good.

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 10:53:35 PM »
It's because they always want you to buy the premium gold package for the extra items and increased xp rate.

shinyjam

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 11:10:27 PM »
Because They're MMOs, and no MMO can ever be good.
There is, just not in English.

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 07:30:46 AM »
I wanna play Valkyrie Sky or this Dynasty Warriors MMO...  :'(

M. Burusu

• ... What is that?
  • Who knows.
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2009, 11:43:18 AM »
Yeah, boring attack system (I tried... warrior?  I think that's what it was called?)

Try Thief or Magician; they have a bit of an easier time, and in later jobs both Clerics and either path of Thief can get into just about any party (if that's your kind of thing) by saying "Max Heal" or "Max Haste". Alternatively, a Bandit has some flashy attacks and one fun little game-breaker; if anyone's done Guild Party Quest and has seen the Dark Muscle Stones, a little advice: it is possible to kill them with Meso Explosion (Chief Bandit [3rd Job] skill) and Three Shells (Beginner, fixed-damage skill). I laughed when I learned that (and this was before 4th job, mind you).

EDIT: They also have fun and flashy skills. (F/P and I/L get their elemental skills, Cleric gets Heal and their revival skill [plus a DOOR to the nearest town in 4th job], Bandit gets Savage Blow [hits 4 at min, 6 at max, and always rips 'em a new one] in 2nd job and Meso Explosion [WTF*BOOM* with Mesos as ammo] in 3rd, while Assassin goes and gets Avenger [huge shuriken lol] and Flash Jump [a horizontal double-jump] in 3rd job, if memory serves.)

shit drop rates

This is easily remedied now with the (ab)use of the Family system, if it's present in your region -- as you gain Reps because your family members level, you can spend Reps to double your drop rate (for free, I might add, as the Family system costs you NOTHING).

and XP LOSS ON DEATH WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN

This is why I try to carry a decent amount of potions into battle with me -- and another reason why Clerics are so damn appealing (not only does Heal have the chance to eliminate the cost of HP potions completely from your meso expenses, but in 4th job they get the ability to revive people; not only that, but Heal makes it really easy to train against the undead, because as with most games they die in the face of Heal).

Another fun part of Magicians in general is that their Magic Guard makes it so that (at Max. level) 80% of the damage they take gets deducted from MP instead of HP, and if you actually built the smart way (which nowadays is 'keep using Three Shells until you max out Max MP Increase and THEN go for the Energy Bolt/Magic Claw', from my reckoning, as max. Three Shells is 40 damage always and no longer costs snail shells as ammo) you'll have a Nice Boatload of MP to lose anyways so the cost of HP pots goes down dramatically.

That said, if MapleStory isn't your cup of tea then, well, it's not your cup of tea and that's that (though you ought to give it a try again; things may have changed since then, and it's actually viable nowadays to not have to Bribe Your Way To Victory considering how there's actually enough quests to get your way to 30 with little trouble, especially with these events going on and all).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 11:53:16 AM by M. Burusu »

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2009, 06:48:41 PM »
The problem with death is not "lugging around ten trillion potions to prevent it," it's "if you fuck up at all with using them, or, say, lag for five seconds while stuck among a mob while the game actually goes through using that potion" (fuck satellite connections for gaming, seriously) - less a matter in difficulty of preventing in optimal conditions, and more a matter of how harsh the punishment is when you screw up, whether it's your fault or not.
It also discourages exploring new and dangerous areas so heavily it isn't even funny, confining you to the same regions for ages... and sometimes insta-killing you if you stray out of the ones you can handle. Especially when quests require you to go through regions that you can't really handle.

Clerics make the best budget class, at least once you get to 2nd job or so; MP Eater+Heal = drastically reduced potion costs. They're also VERY party-friendly, if you have friends actually near your level or want to do party quests (and it looks like the rewards for doing a given one a ton are pretty good; well, pendents are rare, at least). They're downright unfair against undeads. The problem is that they're pretty crappy at fighting anything else, restricting their training options more than other classes... and being so unfair against undeads while having to only kill them means that they can get very boring. I'm also told they hit a 'dead zone' for training in 3rd job, since there's no good undead-hunting maps between that point and 4th job; this means either spending 2-3x as long at much weaker enemies, or being 'tethered to a warrior,' as he put it.
But they also get the "wtfsooverpowered:(" Genesis in 4th job, which is a stupidly powerful holy-elemental attack that hits the whole screen; highly desirable for slaughtering Skelegons on Horntail Mountain (the strongest undead in the game) or causing general havoc. Of course, it costs several thousand MP to use...
Also good about mages is that they're pretty easy to build, stat-wise; Thieves, Archers, and (maybe?) Pirates eventually need to sink some points into HP so that they can continue surviving the enemies they fight. Warriors get more HP than God and never need to worry about it. Magic Guard at least MOSTLY lets mages ignore this, though they'll have to spend about twice as much on 'healing' to restore the MP losses. Teleport is also fun, unique, and useful.

Assassins are also more fun to play early on; Lucky Stars' damage formula is stupid and broken but it's also more reliable than the 5-100% damage range for weapons that warriors, brawlers, and archers are stuck with until 2nd job. Throwing stars allow a lot of range and mobility, making it easy to keep moving and try to evade attacks with your own skill as much as anything. Haste is highly desired because the free speed boost makes the platforming aspect of the game more fun. It's the mobility that makes them fun, by and large.
On the downside, everyone will assume you're an asshole because assassins are also the most twinkable class: watk increases give disproportionate damage boosts since their weapons default as having very little and the formula is boosted to make up for that (I think?), despite the potential boosts from scrolling those weapons or other items remaining constant. As such, useful gear for them is expensive like hell, and expectations from others are through the roof as opposed to "ridiculously high because your standard MSer is an asshole."