Author Topic: [Art] Jealous Witch did something derp  (Read 67211 times)

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
Re: [Art] More derp from Delfigamer
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 04:47:37 PM »
Sketch.
For now, photoed with a very uncomfortable tablet cam - it's placed on the front side, probably aimed at user.
Later, when I'll gain access to my scanner again, I'll change this pic to a proper one; and, if I gain enough time and will, I'll do further work on it with... uh, another, bamboo drawing tablet.

So, she is going to be one of the main characters of my shmup game (see my sig). Her name is Alexandra, surname is still not given. She is calm, kind, has high morale values. She possesses high power, her attacks are narrow and accurate, compared to sparse area-covering attacks of another heroine.
A girl seen as sprite in the game isn't the one depicted here, she is another main character; and they are in rather not friendly relations.

2nd pic: I am not just lazy, I am raymoo lazy! :derp:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:17:12 PM by 'ω' »

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Delfigamer

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 04:35:35 PM »
Wa-ha-ha-ha-ha, fear, heavens, I am returned and I am more derp than ever!
I absolutely do not like her bottom parts. I think I'll cut them off if I'll ever continue on this... thing.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:18:26 PM by 'ω' »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 05:20:27 PM »
Wa-ha-ha-ha-ha, fear, heavens, I am returned and I am more derp than ever!

I absolutely do not like her bottom parts. I think I'll cut them off if I'll ever continue on this... thing.
Really the bottom part is strange, maybe you should try to copy it from a real model looking images on google or try to use a simple-shape model to have a better idea of this pose.
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 08:07:34 PM »

Hm, the pic's thighs could use some foreshortening. According to my observations of many pics of people sitting in similar poses as that you drew, the thighs should look shorter than the calves. Take a look at the thighs and calves on this pic; it'd probably get across what I'm trying to say clearer. Perhaps comparing those to how they'd look in a regular frontal standing pose would help, too. I'd suggest paying extra attention to the contours, in that case.

Of course, since my observations are pretty often wrong, feel free to ignore these ^^;

By the way, do you take requests?

Delfigamer

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 07:03:52 AM »
At first I intended on drawing straight legs, now I think they won't work well with the armchair and this straight pose - her butts are just too far from the edge.
...Not sure if  you've got what I'm saying. ^^"
Anyway, I think I'll make them bent, I hope this way they'll look at least a bit more naturally.

By the way, do you take requests?
Depends on my mood. You may try your luck and give an attempt to get my interest. :3

Teewee

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 09:17:30 AM »
Oh, I got what you were saying :) As for the request, just a simple bust shot of Reimu with a hand on a side of her face, with a thought bubble above her thinking about sake.

Delfigamer

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 11:22:23 AM »
sake
Good morning, Reimu.
OH SHI-

...I'll redo, if you want. ._.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:19:28 PM by 'ω' »

Teewee

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2013, 01:51:53 PM »
If you wouldn't mind redoing it, then sure :) If so, be sure to show more of the upper body area; what you drew wasn't a bust shot, but more of a head shot. Also, give her a party hat like you see here :3 You may also want to thin the neck juust slightly, to make her look more feminine.

Delfigamer

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2013, 12:24:35 PM »
So... I again messed proportions up, but now the body looks like suffering cretinism. :<
I'm not sure you should see this, but if you still want - here.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:20:02 PM by 'ω' »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2013, 08:06:18 PM »
Redline

* Fixing ear place;
* Adding some extra curves in the face;
* Adding curves in the shoulders;
* The trunk is too long, using a 8-head body as a reference you should reduce a bit the body and increase the legs size

PS: You could add more hip curves.

Reference:

http://www.tunc.biz/mila_kunis_crossed_legs.jpg
http://www.idrawdigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/prop_female.gif
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Delfigamer

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2013, 09:51:26 AM »

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2013, 11:32:11 AM »
Let's see what we've got here, with a bit of a list for the sake of critical insight.

- Stiff figure, especially in the abdomen, shoulders, and limbs.  Kaze linked a fairly decent chart for reference.
 - Her right hand has the rough form, but the same attention could have been given to the other hand too.
 - Lack of line variety. Makes it even more rigid in appearance which is not what we want. Relax the hand a bit.
 - Crushed forehead. Eye level should be halfway on the head - next time draw a character without the hair first, and then insert it.
 - The onepiece's placement makes it appear flat and pasted-over.  Adjust the shoulder straps to account for the body's shape.

I don't mean to nitpick too much, but constructive criticism is usually one of the most effective mechanisms of improvement.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Delfigamer

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2013, 09:10:23 PM »
next time draw a character without the hair first, and then insert it.
I do so, but despite that... ._.
I don't mean to nitpick too much, but constructive criticism is usually one of the most effective mechanisms of improvement.
It's okay, don't bother about it much.
I'll look what I can do with all of this. ._.

Teewee

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2013, 08:56:21 PM »
Maybe this bit of advice might help:

Picture what part of the anatomy you'd like to improve on the most at the moment: is it hair, face shape, torso shape, collarbone, etc? Then, draw a bunch of what that feature rests on; at least 3 on a single page. Then, draw the feature on each base, and then compare it to how an artist you like does it. Perhaps you may find a discovery of a more 'correct' way to do it, which is likelier the more you know about the feature beforehand.

And, if possible, set your mind to not care about any mistakes you make on other parts of the anatomy until you've become good enough at your current focus to move on to something else. Understandably, you may not be able to do this if you've got a lot of inner art pain(?), but it's at least worth a try :)

Edit: Also, when you post a new figure sketch, you could try explaining your conceptions(?) of figure drawing that led you to draw part of a figure a certain way. That way, people who know their stuff can come in and correct your assumptions, explain how it really works, and then offer exercises and refs for you to try out and examine.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:38:49 PM by Chrono Trigger Retells the Bible »

Delfigamer

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2013, 05:02:01 PM »
Firstly I need to stop being that lazy and draw anything. :V
But it's summer now, it is a very lazy time...
:(

Delfigamer

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2013, 09:09:53 PM »
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:20:30 PM by 'ω' »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2013, 12:35:58 AM »
That left hand looks a bit wrong  :x
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2013, 04:09:40 AM »
That left hand looks a bit wrong  :x

Well there's the part about the messed up perspective too. It's almost m.c. escher all over again.

Teewee

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2013, 03:10:40 AM »
Hm, it does look better than what you've drawn before (in terms of people).

To elaborate on the criticism given by Kaze and Pirate:

As for the hand, the fingers are positioned the reverse of what they should (the thumb and index fingers aren't on the left side of the hand, It's actually the right!)

As for the perspective, Reimu's face gives the impression that you're looking at her from the front view, but the table, donation box, and her left hand look like they're being seen from above.

When box-like shapes (like the top of a table) are seen from above like that, you do see mostly the top. Almost nothing but, even. But from a more straight-on perspective (as Reimu's face would imply), you see the top in a tapered shape, and the side right in front of it in a rectangular form. Perhaps this will help you 'get it' more.

As for the hand, I dunno what advice to give you there, other than to prop up a mirror of front of a table, try the pose in front of it, and compare how the palm looks compared to a from-the-top view of the hand. You know, that position most people learn first.

Now, I assume you have a grasp on the theory of things like perspective and the figure, but don't have actually applying it down registered in your brain (I've been there, and am mostly still there!). If not, ok. I just hope this advice helps you get more of a 'feel' for how this particular topic works, flawed as it may be :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 12:48:19 PM by TEspeon »

Delfigamer

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2013, 11:14:49 AM »
Hm... my tablet has its camera attached on the front side. Seems like it's not completely useless, after all. :V

the fingers are positioned the reverse of what they should
Again?!
T_T
________

I am useless.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:21:08 PM by 'ω' »

Delfigamer

« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2013, 11:30:10 AM »
Maybe I'll continue this work. Someday. Eventually.
._.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:21:32 PM by 'ω' »

Delfigamer

« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2013, 06:10:28 AM »
._.
"Take it easy, Delfi!"
"Okay. T_T"
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:21:49 PM by 'ω' »

Delfigamer

« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2013, 07:26:56 PM »
:colonveeplusalpha:
If you have no idea what's going on there, that's normal it's
Spoiler:
Komachi carrying Ran while Chen is waving and Yukari is walking away. At least I was thinking about it.

Wait, why do I post it here?
Also, 4x combo. I'm so hopeless that nobody even tries to give any critics. :colonveeplusalpha:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:22:21 PM by 'ω' »

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2013, 09:49:56 PM »
Ah, well allow me to attempt to help. o/

I made a quick redline of your drawing. The (my) anatomy isn't 100% accurate, so please don't use it as a reference.

I wasn't able to tell what direction Komachi was facing, so I drew her facing the right. (Although the more that I look at it, she seems to be facing the left?) Her arm placement was a bit weird, considering her right hand/arm was holding the scythe, yet it appeared to be resting on her left shoulder.
Ran looked okay, but I made her a little larger. I also shifted her posture so that more of her weight is placed on her arms, since it looks like she's laying back. Chen seemed a little too small, so I scaled her up as well.

One thing that seems to be bothering me yet I can't place my finger on it would have to be the perspective. I can't really tell where your horizon line is. I tried outlining the boat with one perspective point, but it doesn't seem to quite match up correctly. (Same with two points; perhaps it's just me!)

I, uh, hope that made a little sense.
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Delfigamer

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2013, 01:25:23 PM »
Now I feel guilty when think about lazing the drawing away and forgetting about it. ._.

So, currently this.
WIP captures wow.

It's 20:23 here already, and I still haven't touched my homework, so I guess that's enough for today. :0

UPD
So...
Ah, well allow me to attempt to help. o/
Wow, thank you!

I wasn't able to tell what direction Komachi was facing, so I drew her facing the right. (Although the more that I look at it, she seems to be facing the left?)
Yes, she was basically facing the same direction with the boat - captain and all, I thought that would make sense. Seems you've just flipped her left-to-right, I've flipped Komachi back (as you may see) and it's all right now. :V

Her arm placement was a bit weird, considering her right hand/arm was holding the scythe, yet it appeared to be resting on her left shoulder.
The intent here was to make her right hand to rest on the handle, while the scythe is balanced on her right shoulder by that hand and the blade.
I usually don't bother much about erasing hidden stuff on sketches of that rawness level, so one might see the handle to be before Koma's neck, while actually it was behing. (?・ω・`)

One thing that seems to be bothering me yet I can't place my finger on it would have to be the perspective. I can't really tell where your horizon line is. I tried outlining the boat with one perspective point, but it doesn't seem to quite match up correctly. (Same with two points; perhaps it's just me!)
Well, this boat probably forms two-point perspective, though the second point may not be easily seen (I had trouble finding it myself ._.). There are two lines on the boat that are perpendicular to its general direction (which you found and marked) - one is at its stern, and other is right under the shinigami. The latter one was used as a marker of the broadest point of the boat.
Actually I have little idea on how real boats are assembled, this one is just a plain leaf-shaped deck with curved sides. I guess I've got it wrong. :colonveeplusalpha:

I, uh, hope that made a little sense.
It certainly did made sense, especially compared to a couple of bearded yukkuris. :V

On a side note: "disabling" bottom eyelids seems to be a good idea. Though, her hair is just the worst thing in the drawing now. :/
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:23:01 PM by 'ω' »

Delfigamer

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2013, 11:08:23 AM »
When I start to grasp nothing and draw crap, is this a time to say "enough for today"? ._.
My last sleep was for ~5 hours and ended ~11 hours ago. Maybe that's a problem too.
Anyway, Komacchan's lineart is almost finished, what is left is to fix her hair... and maybe a couple of lines of clothes which I've just seen. (?.o)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:23:34 PM by 'ω' »

Ibaraki

• 茨華仙
  • Keeping things disciplined
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2013, 04:00:39 PM »
When I start to grasp nothing and draw crap, is this a time to say "enough for today"? ._.
That's your cue to get a rest.
Are you going to finish that picture? I'm interested to see the final product, complete with the scenery.

Delfigamer

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2013, 04:42:46 PM »
Well.
I want to see the final product too. But I'm lazy as Reimu and Komachi combined, so... I hope I'll still manage to finish it!
Progress slowly goes on~
And I have no idea how to draw those twintails. ?_?

Now I need to read the homework for tomorrow's Literature, which is Kuprin's "Garnet Bracelet" in original. :derp:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:24:10 PM by 'ω' »

Delfigamer

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2013, 02:00:04 PM »
Two clothed girls in a single picture. It's already epic for me. ^^"
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:24:26 PM by 'ω' »

Delfigamer

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2013, 03:03:03 PM »
Drawing Chen's face on just 30*30 pixels is hard. :<
________

Okay, enough bumps.
Obviously it's not finished, I still have a wonderful world of light and darkness ahead. :O
Though the plot here can already be read.
Also, design of Ran's, well, robe is mine. :colonveeplusalpha:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:24:59 PM by 'ω' »