Author Topic: Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade. Yay!  (Read 467185 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade. Yay!
« Reply #1260 on: May 21, 2013, 07:49:28 PM »
I recommend all of you make an offering to the Hakurei God that Tasofro goes with Mamizou's Forbidden Scrollery design rather than ZUN's awful, derptastic, clearly-made-when-hungover game design.

I kind of like it...

Huh, I never heard of FS before, but I am a bit behind in my touhou comics. Interesting that she keeps showing up in all of these. As for her look, the one in FS, the only one I see on the wiki, is her human disguse. Doesn't seem like something she would use,

My initial thought was "if she's fighting in the human village of course she'll want to be in disguise", but that actually makes no sense now that I think about it. She would specifically not want to ruin that disguise for herself by flying around shooting Reimu while wearing it. :derp:

If I had to guess based off the other designs in this game, she'll resemble her design in Symposium of Post-mysticism.

I suppose only time will tell, including if she's actually in the game.

Ooh, forgot about that one. Also like. Any of those or a new variant would be fine with me.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #1261 on: May 21, 2013, 07:52:15 PM »
I'm sure you can only disarm her.

Da dum tsh

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #1262 on: May 21, 2013, 07:54:37 PM »
@Taimat: I'd like to think that she comes and goes.
@Sagus: I don't think Koishi is really containable, nor do I think that Byakuren really wants to contain her.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #1263 on: May 21, 2013, 07:54:46 PM »
And just think, all this could have been avoided if ZUN had made Kasen the extra stage boss of 10D. (Or even Byakuren, since he was considering them.)
Oh man. Byakuren would have been an excellent choice, if for no other reason than the sweet, delicious rage of UFO-haters it would've provoked.

Also, I kind of want Kasen to remain a strictly literary character. I dunno. I just like the idea of their being some 2hus who only appear on the printed page.

Hi-oooooooh!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:56:34 PM by Edible »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #1264 on: May 21, 2013, 07:59:41 PM »

It took me a second to get that one. ^^;
Also, I probably wouldn't want to fight her either, if only because it also seems like Kasen is more of a "behind the scenes" sort of character, if you know what I mean by that.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

« Reply #1265 on: May 21, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »
My initial thought was "if she's fighting in the human village of course she'll want to be in disguise", but that actually makes no sense now that I think about it. She would specifically not want to ruin that disguise for herself by flying around shooting Reimu while wearing it. :derp:
Depends. She could just pretend she's a magician or some other magic-using human. It could also be kind of cool to have a popularity mechanic where she has to hide her true form while fighting (but those attacks are more powerful, etc etc). I'm not exactly expecting it but it seems possible to me. It's worth noting that her gimmick in TD was never really transformation, but shikigami. She had one card where she transformed into Reimu, but that wasn't the basis of her style.
Also, I kind of want Kasen to remain a strictly literary character. I dunno. I just like the idea of their being some 2hus who only appear on the printed page.
I want to see her in a game (fighting game, shooting game, whatever), if only to give her a theme song and some spell cards. Characters always feel incomplete without those. I wouldn't expect her until her manga is over though.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #1266 on: May 21, 2013, 09:23:14 PM »
Depends. She could just pretend she's a magician or some other magic-using human. It could also be kind of cool to have a popularity mechanic where she has to hide her true form while fighting (but those attacks are more powerful, etc etc). I'm not exactly expecting it but it seems possible to me. It's worth noting that her gimmick in TD was never really transformation, but shikigami. She had one card where she transformed into Reimu, but that wasn't the basis of her style.

Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but I think the point of that disguise was the blend in and not draw attention to herself, which suddenly revealing herself as a powerful fighter would probably do. Then again,
Spoiler:
she isn't exactly subtle with Motoori about why she's in the village in the first place, so I guess she could just whip up a new disguise every time if she needs to be covert

Shapeshifting certainly doesn't seem to be her only trick, but we see her do it enough that I think it's safe to call it a major element of her character. I'd expect her attacks to be something in the range of a 70/30 between her signature bullets and moves that take adventure of Tanuki power. The little stick man bullets that shoot bullets could make for some cool moves sort of like the shooting dolls Alice has in the other fighters, but potentially sometimes in larger numbers and different patterns.

PhantomSong

• The Ghost Living through Everyday Life.
  • Eh, it doesn't matter.
« Reply #1267 on: May 21, 2013, 09:28:26 PM »
Nitori and Koishi all I can say is...

MY FEELS  :derp: -tears of joy- Nitori's going to be a boss... let's just get that out there. She's going to be awesome! 

« Reply #1268 on: May 21, 2013, 09:34:21 PM »
Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but I think the point of that disguise was the blend in and not draw attention to herself, which suddenly revealing herself as a powerful fighter would probably do. Then again,
Spoiler:
she isn't exactly subtle with Motoori about why she's in the village in the first place, so I guess she could just whip up a new disguise every time if she needs to be covert
Also she did a little exploding flip thing to reveal herself to Reimu. Which definitely drew people's attention, since they were staring at her for a few panels. I don't think she has a problem with being well known so much as being well known as a tanuki.

That said, it's pretty unlikely since her TD/SoPM design is certainly more popular and her default in the minds of the fans. Really depends on why she's participating though.

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #1269 on: May 21, 2013, 10:11:05 PM »
I wish this was real but look at the portrait it's the same one from UNL. Hopefully it's a placeholder.

Since the characters I want are sitting on the sidelines I guess I can hope for Flandre and Alice.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #1270 on: May 21, 2013, 10:19:17 PM »
I wish this was real but look at the portrait it's the same one from UNL. Hopefully it's a placeholder.

Since the characters I want are sitting on the sidelines I guess I can hope for Flandre and Alice.

You know, in handful of times I've played on that stage and from the dozens of pictures and videos I've seen of it I never noticed Nazrin. I loaded up my demo and confirmed that she is in fact actually there, but what on Earth is she doing with her dowsing rods?

On a semi-related note, selecting menu options at random to get in-game and setting two of the same character to the same keys is hilarious. "Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything." :V

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #1271 on: May 21, 2013, 10:23:12 PM »
I have been thinking this just now:

UFO brought us our Undefined Fantastic Girl, Nue Houjuu, whose main ability is the power to conceal herself, right?

10D brought us her Tanuki Friend, Mamizou Futatsuiwa, whose main ability is the conceal the appareance of other things, incluiding herself, right?

This, with the title being Hopeless MASQUERADE, and the silouetthe (I think I may typed that wrong) that apparently has masks flying around, maybe another third girl with concealing powers will show up?

Now, what youkais that have abilities similar to Nue or Mamizou exists that haven't been mentioned in Touhou?
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #1272 on: May 21, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
I'm beginning to wonder how the final boss will play like right now.

I had an idea of a character once that used options as actual weapons rather than a firepower boost and they worked by using the ambient energy around it to power them. Having more of them allowed you to attack a little faster since you had more on stand-by rather than having to waiting for them to come back to you. You could also overload them as a super, but obviously they didn't survive the explosion and you'd need to create a new one to replace it. Wasn't a very good fighter if you had none. If you count faith as a type of energy, wonder how that would work out?

« Reply #1273 on: May 21, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
It's worth noting that her gimmick in TD was never really transformation, but shikigami.

but transformation is a general tanuki trait afaik. Iirc (bad memory (tm)) in the touhouverse, there were a lot of tanuki who shapeshifted into humans, and lived as humans too, forgetting that they were actually tanuki, and gradually losing their shapeshifting ability.

I'm beginning to wonder how the final boss will play like right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NOGhKdsgrc

:D

I do hope that HM happens to be fun and competitively playable.. unlike the game it was based on -- which may be the FGC's greatest disappointment with this game --, and that the approval system is at least okay-ish like KoF XI, or even better, is done the way Aquapazza did and doesn't take precedence over health difference, in the event of a time over. Wonder what has been done to prevent someone (like Reimu in the demo) from spamming moves to raise her approval while keeping herself safe.
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #1274 on: May 21, 2013, 10:55:15 PM »
http://i.imgur.com/qlt1rMi.jpg

Just some idea from the polish Touhou forums... I really hope it's not that...

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #1275 on: May 21, 2013, 10:58:33 PM »

Looks like quite a stretch to me. And given that the other fighters have had a new character as the boss and the demo data allledgedly has a placeholder for a boss or whatever, I'd say the odds are heavily in favor of a new character. Then again I've been wrong on basically everything that I assumed was a given about this game so far... :derp:

« Reply #1276 on: May 21, 2013, 11:08:44 PM »
Mamizou being the penultimate boss for the new character like Yukari was to Suika is pretty convincing. Her transformation/disguises gimmick is a nice lead-in to the new character's presumed use of masks as per a masquerade, so I think this is a very likely idea.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #1277 on: May 21, 2013, 11:31:03 PM »

...I must be crazy, because getting a better look at the silhouette, it sort of looks like Mima. I never thought I would ever consider her in a semi-serious way, but her appearance in this game would be one of the more plausible theories - the final boss is almost certainly someone who has a stake in the issue of faith, and isn't one of the known factions. Given Mima's nebulous goal of becoming a god being hinted at, it's not completely out of the realm of possibility...

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to wash my mouth for saying the above sentences.

EDIT: Whoa this thread is way over the soft limit. Should someone create a new one?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:36:11 PM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #1278 on: May 21, 2013, 11:39:26 PM »
EDIT: Whoa this thread is way over the soft limit. Should someone create a new one?

Whoah, right you are!

Done.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."