Author Topic: Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade. Yay!  (Read 466942 times)

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
Re: Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade. Yay!
« Reply #1080 on: May 21, 2013, 02:21:58 AM »
I would say that that is absolutely not the definition of faith being used here. Otherwise the gods might be a bit reluctant to introduce themselves so casually.
Well, that's the only definition I know. I have no trouble with it though. Just because you have poof that something is true, doesn't mean you don't have faith.

Did you actually read SSiB chapter 6? Because they make a pretty big deal of it.
I just read chapter 6 and it mostly talks about splitting the spirit. In talking about kanako, Reimu says: "A god that has a body can still split their spirit. The relationship between a god's body and spirit is kind of like with a vengeful spirit. It can divide as much as they want, but the original stays the same.". I'll be honest, I'm not entirely sure what that means. However, if you have something, say a body, and split of a part of it but then have it be the same, it sounds like you just made something of nothing.

« Reply #1081 on: May 21, 2013, 02:23:44 AM »
This about the only ones I can see getting in.

Hina: "I'm a Goddess! What of it? HEXXXXXX!"
Momiji: "Tengu rights! Tengu rights!"
Tenshi: "Wonder what those fools on the surface are up to."
Iku: "I'm just here to tag along with Tenshi."
Utsuho: "Help Lady Kanako."
Satori: "Has anyone seen my bird?"
Koishi: "Hi, I'm Koishi! Let me fire hearts at you!"

« Reply #1082 on: May 21, 2013, 02:33:57 AM »
I just read chapter 6 and it mostly talks about splitting the spirit. In talking about kanako, Reimu says: "A god that has a body can still split their spirit. The relationship between a god's body and spirit is kind of like with a vengeful spirit. It can divide as much as they want, but the original stays the same.". I'll be honest, I'm not entirely sure what that means. However, if you have something, say a body, and split of a part of it but then have it be the same, it sounds like you just made something of nothing.

"A god that has a body can still split their spirit." IE: it doesn't mention their body. Maybe this is me reading too much into it, but to me this implies that their bodies are not being split. Of course, as gods their bodies can look like whatever they want, and if they possess a frog or something there's no reason they can't transform it into something like their original body. But they still have to possess something that's already in existence. "Like a vengeful spirit" also implies possession. And that's what's happening with Reimu's summon magic or Utsuho's whole deal.

Gods are, for the most part, spiritual beings without bodies. Once they are given a name they "lose the ability to exist in anything". Therefore they can only exist in certain things. Shamans, shrines, items with compatible traits... it's not necessarily hard to find these containers, but they need containers. That's how I read it anyway.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #1083 on: May 21, 2013, 02:36:53 AM »
But there was a small band of kappa who did not like religion.

So are Nitori and this "small band" more like a guerrilla group, rather than a representation of the Kappa overall? Hm.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #1084 on: May 21, 2013, 03:00:16 AM »
"A god that has a body can still split their spirit." IE: it doesn't mention their body. Maybe this is me reading too much into it, but to me this implies that their bodies are not being split. Of course, as gods their bodies can look like whatever they want, and if they possess a frog or something there's no reason they can't transform it into something like their original body. But they still have to possess something that's already in existence. "Like a vengeful spirit" also implies possession. And that's what's happening with Reimu's summon magic or Utsuho's whole deal.
Like I said, it doesn't mention their bodies in that quote, but there's no reason to believe their divided spirit can't make a body on it's own. SoPM doesn't say that Suwako possess a frog, it says she takes the form of one. Also, although Reimu herself says that her summoning is basically the god using her body, and that her personality becomes the god's... it simply isn't that that happens when gods are summoned; when Reimu summoned the gods that allowed the ship to go to the moon, she kept her own personality (she even comments that the gods think that the journey is getting boring), and some of the gods that Yorihime called appeared there on separate, physical bodies; they didn't possess her (well, one did, but after appearing as a separate entity). So... I dunno.

Gods are, for the most part, spiritual beings without bodies. Once they are given a name they "lose the ability to exist in anything". Therefore they can only exist in certain things. Shamans, shrines, items with compatible traits... it's not necessarily hard to find these containers, but they need containers. That's how I read it anyway.
That's a pretty interesting reading.
It does brings the question of what gods with bodies are, though. Are they gods that possessed something, shaped it the way they wanted, and just decided to never leave?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 03:13:43 AM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #1085 on: May 21, 2013, 03:50:48 AM »
>You are slipping, cuc.

Well, the update came when I was already in bed, and I'm working at a place without an internet connection this week. My phone and its default text editor are both crappy, making text editing inconvenient.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #1086 on: May 21, 2013, 03:57:27 AM »
Watch the next characters that are revealed have next to nothing to do with religion.

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #1087 on: May 21, 2013, 04:02:04 AM »
Let's talka bout something what I just though up about the game and that would be stage music.
The one what comes in mind the most if waht would the backgrpund theme be for the Youkai Mountain Hotsprings (I just call that stage that)? Some would say that Candid Friend would be as the stage is Nitori's, but I think The Gensokyo the Gods Loved would fit better.

Kingault

• Insert witty description here.
« Reply #1088 on: May 21, 2013, 04:02:45 AM »
Watch the next characters that are revealed have next to nothing to do with religion.

Yuuka would be an excellent melee character.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #1089 on: May 21, 2013, 04:14:08 AM »
The stage is Genbu Ravine/Marsh, not a new area.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #1090 on: May 21, 2013, 04:21:32 AM »
I'll bet The Gensokyo The Gods Loved is Nitori's theme. I could very  well be wrong, though.

I've also grown more accepting to the fact that Shou's not playable. Not to get off topic, but it's like I was in Persona 4 and had just accepted my Shadow. Now, gaze upon Bishamonten, my new Persona, and despair! >:D
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

« Reply #1091 on: May 21, 2013, 04:28:50 AM »
Speculation time. My guesses for the other playable characters are Momiji, Orin, and Koishi. That way we'd have two characters each from the four games starting from th10. Nitori/Momiji from th10, Orin/Koishi from th11, Ichirin/Byakuren from th12, and Futo/Miko from th13. My reasoning for Momiji is that I think the tengu deserve some sort of representation, and with Aya out I feel like Momiji is the only one left. (I personally don't expect Hatate to show up, but I guess if we're thinking tengu then she's another possibility.) Orin is particularly infamous in the Human Village for being the kasha that hangs around and steals corpses, and Koishi has ties to the Myouren Temple as shown in Symposium of Post-Mysticism, so I think they're likelier than anyone else from th11. Either way I'm excited to see who will be revealed next.

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #1092 on: May 21, 2013, 04:42:18 AM »
My bets are on Hatate, though it's entirely possible she won't make it considering ZUN doesn't care about the poor tengu. Nonetheless, if she makes it in, I will undoubtedly main her. Aya had her time in the sun; Hatate needs the screentime so badly it's not even funny.
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #1093 on: May 21, 2013, 04:50:31 AM »
I think that either, Tenshi, Hatate, Momiji, Hina, Koishi, Satori, Flandre :colonveeplusalpha:, or probably Mamizou.
I'm mostly banking on Tenshi or Hatate at the moment, however the wild cards I think tasofro might throw in would be either Koishi, Mamizou, Flandre, or Momiji.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:52:03 AM by MewMewHeart »
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

« Reply #1094 on: May 21, 2013, 05:03:25 AM »
Momiji, Orin and Akyuu. I'm going for the long shot.

Which I guess is another way of saying I have no clue. Nitori surprised me a lot.

« Reply #1095 on: May 21, 2013, 05:19:45 AM »
We are guessing? Well I am gonna have lists: one if background means not playable, and one that means they still could be playable.

BG = not playable:
Kasen
Mamizou
Yuuka
Koishi
Alice
Tenshi
Okuu
Flandre
Hatate
Mima(My lol vote)
Someone New

BG could still mean Playable:
Kanako
Shou
Kasen
Mamizou
Yuugi
Okuu
Yuuka
Mokou
Kagura
Tenshi
Someone New

The lists are slighty longer then the 5-6 people are saying are left, because I had trouble limiting them down.

« Reply #1096 on: May 21, 2013, 06:08:32 AM »
Aww so much for Sanae being a shoo-in XP Now I really hope Alice and Flandre get something in this, I mained Alice in the previous 2 games and played Aya and Remilia fairly often, now it seems I may play Futo for playstyle, and Miko because she's Miko.

my last six (provided we're only getting 6 more, or provided we're even getting 6 more) would be

1.Alice
2.Flandre
3.Hatate
4.Satori
5.Kasen
6.New Character
EXTRA. Miko's cape because it can be it's own character XP

« Reply #1097 on: May 21, 2013, 06:44:15 AM »
Honestly the fact that we've seen 6 or so stages now, not one of them including an announced playable character pretty much rules out that theory already.
I mean would they really code that for just 2 or so characters?

aListers

• Vocaloid for the win!
  • Gensokyo forever!
    • Newgrounds
« Reply #1098 on: May 21, 2013, 06:45:15 AM »
If my memory serves me right then there was a PC-98 character who was a scientist. It's a far fetched idea but you never know...
???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era.

Been good talking to you all. Gensokyo gu braith!

« Reply #1099 on: May 21, 2013, 06:52:47 AM »

Well, so far all the confirmed characters have been referenced in the intro image.

Reimu is the shrine maiden, Byakuren under the roof, Miko and Futo together on the bottom left, a literal Kappa by the river, Unzan could be represented by the clouds with the face next to the shrine maiden.

By that logic, that should be Shou should also be a playable character.

There's a serpent/dragon on the top left off to the mountains. Kansen owns a dragon. There's also a hermit on the bottom of the image in the mountains. Maybe it's her time to shine in a game?

Next to Futo, there's also a spirit with a scarf and a notable head ornament around it's head whose appearance (aside from it's obvious masculinity) resembles Seiga. 

Off to the right next to the Kappa and further up the river, there's also wisps with trailing tails. Could it be referring to Youmu?

Under the yellow cloud there's a strange youkai, Shou is also fighting a straight youkai as well. I'm not sure what they could represent.

In the crowd of dancing humans near the centre, there's a long haired girl with a red kimono. Could that be Kaguya?

Well it shouldn't be too soon till we see the next revealed character.

« Reply #1100 on: May 21, 2013, 07:18:12 AM »
Well, I suppose we have more credence to the whole "Nitori looking down at others" thing.

Formless God

« Reply #1101 on: May 21, 2013, 07:23:48 AM »

Blog updated: 14.11.2011
Twitter

« Reply #1103 on: May 21, 2013, 07:41:34 AM »
That would be nice, but the differences from other character images are immediately obvious to me. :ohdear:

I'll just have to keep waiting and see if it really happens. Though, I'm definitely liking what has been revealed so far.

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #1104 on: May 21, 2013, 07:44:10 AM »
I'm going with my bets on Kasen, a member of the underground, and the mystery gemcase character as the remaining characters myself.

Let's also look at the areas visited:

Palanquin Ship
(Clouds clouds clouds)

/Genbu Marsh\

Human Village/Myouren Temple/Spirit Mausoleum/Presumably new Daoist area
|
\_______Hakurei Shrine
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:57:15 AM by iK »
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

« Reply #1105 on: May 21, 2013, 07:49:54 AM »
I really wish for Parsee to get jealous of all the people having fun with fighting and deciding to join them in the playable roster ;-;

« Reply #1106 on: May 21, 2013, 08:23:40 AM »

Under the yellow cloud there's a strange youkai

Holy shit, that's a hakutaku. Was Keine on the human village stage? Because this could means she's going to be playable. Which would make sense as a representative of the human village in a conflict revolving around them.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #1107 on: May 21, 2013, 08:27:34 AM »
Holy shit, that's a hakutaku. Was Keine on the human village stage? Because this could means she's going to be playable. Which would make sense as a representative of the human village in a conflict revolving around them.
She's there at the village.

« Reply #1108 on: May 21, 2013, 08:34:02 AM »
I've had someone tell me that the four demon's attacking humans were to represent the four devas.

Suika, Yuugi, possibly Kansen and the forth one. Maybe it's the character that's silhouetted?

There are also flame-like floating objects that surround them that resembles the floating objects that appear around the silhouetted character as well.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:36:24 AM by Semont »

« Reply #1109 on: May 21, 2013, 09:16:45 AM »
Tell you what: if Rumia, Yuuka or either of the Watas appear in this game, I will write a work of fiction at least 800 words long depicting you being honored by the 2hu of your choice.

I personally do not think that characters have to be part of the religious conflict to appear in this game. Which is why I did not rule out either Rumia or Yuuka. This is mainly because for Yuuka, she is the only character in the PoFV cast that is not in the background.
For Rumia, the odds are less likely, because well, fighting game characters in story mode do not have characters that are "weak". Hisoutensoku being the exception in the sense that it wasn't really an incident, but just characters wandering around. This is my reasoning for why Meiling is unplayable in both Immaterial and Missing Power and Scarlet Weather Rhapsody story mode.
The Watatsuki sisters, I do not think is likely at all, because I don't see why they would appear in Gensokyo.

To post my opinion, I don't see why people think there should be 2 Moriya characters. Reason for that is because they are Shinto(ism?). And due the fact that for now there are just two people from Buddhism and Taoism, why they should be 3 from Shinto? Or did you people forget Reimu was Shinto Shrine Maiden?

Reimu is a Shinto shrine maiden, but she doesn't fight for Shinto. Her affliation is the same as Marisa, neutral.

If Reimu vs. Reimu is possible, then it's possible for playable character to be a background character at the same time. I can imagine a Reimu vs. Reimu match at Hakurei Shrine, with a Reimu in the background either watching the match, or being annoyed with everyone else. In other words, if there can be two Reimus, why not three?

If you go by that, being in the background does not mean unplayable, which is a possibility, then, any character is playable.
But right now, if they are playble, they do not appear in the background, which is why lots of people take this stance. That said, none of the playable characters appear as a background character, even if they should in some stages.
Also the more surprising part is that the Moriyas look like they are not playable, assuming you take the stance that BG=unplayable. That means the roster just opened up for other characters.

I would like to see Akyuu as a playable. I have hope, because she has yet appear and she did not appear in the Human Village or Byakuren's temple, where I expect her to appear. But since she travels quite a bit, she might appear anywhere, including the final boss's stage.