Author Topic: Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade. Yay!  (Read 466992 times)

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
Re: Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade. Yay!
« Reply #780 on: May 18, 2013, 05:04:29 PM »
The proportions in all the portraits are weird; all the torsos look really small, and the legs are very long.

Fortunately, the in-game sprites look better

alphes da best
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Mayson

• The future... A new age!
« Reply #781 on: May 18, 2013, 05:17:52 PM »
True, that was also my first thought, except the pond is in the mountain, and surrounded by trees.

Futo's ability icon: kashiwa leaves, same as the new game logo. As I said, these are sacred leaves used to wrap Shinto offerings, and became the symbol of high priests, including the Mononobe clan. Futo's roots are still in Shintoism.
That's something I always wondered about. Wouldn't it make the entire Mononobe clan an most of TDs cast an ally of Reimu? After all they have the same religious roots.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #782 on: May 18, 2013, 05:40:42 PM »
married by a shinto and buried by a buddhist, or something like that. In japan really the three sorta coincide pretty well, so you could really apply that to everything. They should all be allies really. :v
Sugoiiii~

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #783 on: May 18, 2013, 05:42:49 PM »
That's something I always wondered about. Wouldn't it make the entire Mononobe clan an most of TDs cast an ally of Reimu? After all they have the same religious roots.

Yes, but one thing impedes that in Gensokyo, and that is everyone being clueless or a brat. :getdown:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 05:53:59 PM by Wild Witchy West »

« Reply #784 on: May 18, 2013, 05:51:32 PM »
For what it's worth, Byakuren and Miko genuinely seem to like Reimu. Byakuren doesn't even realize her temple is a rival to Reimu. Probably because it ISN'T.  It's Reimu that sees Byakuren as her rival, not the other way around.

And Miko did try to recruit Reimu at the end of SoPM.  As did Kanako (and Sanae sincerely offered her help to Reimu at the end of MoF). Reimu's hesitant reaction shows that deep down she probably likes them too but the frustration and ultimate rejection is likely from the ZUN-stated fact that Reimu's a loner in her heart and always will be.

You gotta remember that while everyone in Gensokyo fights each other, a lot of them then go to Reimu's parties or whatever else afterwards, too (well, not the big head religious head honchos but they've shown they're fond of Reimu in their own ways). ZUN's stated that all that posturing before a battle (where statements can get really mean sometimes) is just posturing and that they really all just enjoy this.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 05:54:52 PM by Tiamat »

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #785 on: May 18, 2013, 06:37:03 PM »
I've already seen some fanart of Byakuren's Kenshiro-esque flying kick a la Hokuto no Ken. Then again, I've seen her compared to HnK characters like Ken and especially Toki a small handful of times already.

YOU WA SHOCKuren.

Still awaiting Futo=Jagi fanart considering the similarity between their respective Last Word and 1HKO.
You gotta remember that while everyone in Gensokyo fights each other, a lot of them then go to Reimu's parties or whatever else afterwards, too (well, not the big head religious head honchos but they've shown they're fond of Reimu in their own ways). ZUN's stated that all that posturing before a battle (where statements can get really mean sometimes) is just posturing and that they really all just enjoy this.
I'll play through the games again and again just to get different endings to get a bit more of a glimpse of what the characters are like outside danmaku shenanigans. It never disappoints.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #786 on: May 18, 2013, 06:44:23 PM »
Truly, if any kind of religious conflict in Gensokyo were "serious" - and there have been many - the valley would be a smoking crater littered with bodies by now. Reimu just likes to go it alone, probably for a number of reasons: less work involved for her, less chance of someone getting offended that she's taken sides and starting more shit, but mostly, because she's the Hakurei Shrine maiden. That's her gig. She incident-solves just enough to be able to continue sweeping leaves in peace, so long as there's tea to be sipped together afterwards. Whatever anyone else gets up to is no concern of hers.

I rather like that quality of hers.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #787 on: May 18, 2013, 07:19:04 PM »
Truly, if any kind of religious conflict in Gensokyo were "serious" - and there have been many - the valley would be a smoking crater littered with bodies by now. Reimu just likes to go it alone, probably for a number of reasons: less work involved for her, less chance of someone getting offended that she's taken sides and starting more shit, but mostly, because she's the Hakurei Shrine maiden. That's her gig. She incident-solves just enough to be able to continue sweeping leaves in peace, so long as there's tea to be sipped together afterwards. Whatever anyone else gets up to is no concern of hers.

I rather like that quality of hers.

Yep. All Reimu wants is to have peace without violence. This is why I don't like it when she sometimes gets written off as a bitch. The way I see it, she's just a bit awkward socially. It comes from being somewhat of a loner.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Zakari

• This loli contains Autism
  • Autistic Loli
« Reply #788 on: May 18, 2013, 07:41:58 PM »
Futo`s art has been refixed by /jp/

it is even posted in pixiv as well!

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #789 on: May 18, 2013, 07:45:09 PM »
I don't know about you all, but suddenly I'm starting to lose all hope that Shou will appear. I know I shouldn't hold any grudges against Tasofro, nor should I be making predictions like this until she is revealed or the game comes out, but I don't really know. At this rate, Hatate has a higher chance of making it in, and that's really sad. :(
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #790 on: May 18, 2013, 07:48:58 PM »
I know I shouldn't hold any grudges against Tasofro

You could always not buy the game.

(I suspect you wouldn't be the only one! <_<)
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Formless God

« Reply #791 on: May 18, 2013, 07:51:02 PM »
Can't [img] wrap a pixiv image.

Code: [Select]
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=35787022
All they did was lower the saturation, pfft.
And shadow isn't simply "a darker version of the base color". What the fuck are you doing, /jp/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:53:00 PM by Formless Void »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #792 on: May 18, 2013, 07:55:56 PM »
You could always not buy the game.

(I suspect you wouldn't be the only one! <_<)

Yeah, this is part of what I love about an upcoming Touhou game: the legions of fans who have no intention of buying the game, but still expressing their disappointment and rage, throwing about "this game BETTER have [X] or I'm gonna be pissed" and general entitlement. So delicious.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Formless God

« Reply #793 on: May 18, 2013, 07:57:39 PM »
But I p-play video games for the ch-characters!

« Reply #794 on: May 18, 2013, 07:59:30 PM »
Guys. Guys. I call the next character's portrait as my avvie. :V

ashdihausid Futttoooooooooo! I'm so happy to see her playable. I had hoped for her to be playable in 14, but then Sakuya came and ruined that *grumble*

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #795 on: May 19, 2013, 12:37:40 AM »
You know what I've noticed?

Or, more accurately, not noticed.
The rest of the Taoists are not in the screenshots.

Other noteworthy "absences":
Anyone from the Moriya crew
Anyone from Satori's group

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #796 on: May 19, 2013, 12:50:17 AM »
Sounds gimmicky, although I'd love to see them pull something like this off.
I don't like the idea of a character that "gets stronger as the game goes on", though.

I play Labrys in Persona 4 Arena, and she uses this mechanic sort of. I don't really know how I feel about it. Her mechanic also allows her accumulated power to swing back the other way if you start to do badly, so it makes her very heavily momentum-based. Overall she's a slightly weak character initially, but who has the ability to absolutely blow out later rounds if she can keep momentum going her way. Maybe Futo will be similar. Balancing this sort of thing certainly would be tricky I imagine.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #797 on: May 19, 2013, 01:01:01 AM »

That does seem to defeat the purpose of having rounds.

Many games have some sort of mechanic in which you accumulate power that is not reset between rounds (often the super/hyper bar, skillcards and some spellcards in soku, popularity here ...).
I don't think it's that unusual.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #798 on: May 19, 2013, 01:39:08 AM »
Many games have some sort of mechanic in which you accumulate power that is not reset between rounds (often the super/hyper bar, skillcards and some spellcards in soku, popularity here ...).

Our very own SWR/12.3 had cards and weather.
Sugoiiii~

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #799 on: May 19, 2013, 03:47:39 AM »
I suppose; however, aren't those mechanics applied to everyone? Here the mechanics only belong to one person.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #800 on: May 19, 2013, 04:09:22 AM »
I'm fairly sure Marisa's 1-2-3 thing carries over as well, as well as any charge left over in Ichirin's rage. Charges on Byakuren will probably also carry over, and I honestly don't see it being much of a problem unless breaking the dishes is an attack in and of itself.
Sugoiiii~

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #801 on: May 19, 2013, 05:38:10 AM »
I'm fairly sure Marisa's 1-2-3 thing carries over as well, as well as any charge left over in Ichirin's rage. Charges on Byakuren will probably also carry over, and I honestly don't see it being much of a problem unless breaking the dishes is an attack in and of itself.
Well, one of Futo's attacks is only usable if you have some to break, right?  That attack a little while ago in the topic?  My guess is they're kinda like mines or something that Futo controls when they explode or something while she does her other moves.  At least if this one screenshot from earlier in the topic is how it seems to me.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

« Reply #802 on: May 19, 2013, 05:50:01 AM »
You know what I've noticed?

Or, more accurately, not noticed.
The rest of the Taoists are not in the screenshots.

Other noteworthy "absences":
Anyone from the Moriya crew
Anyone from Satori's group

First, the screenshots have a limited field of view so for all we know they're off in the corner. Second, it's pretty obvious that Miko will be playable too, and obviously she'll have her own stage. It makes a bit more sense for them to hang out in Miko's stage. Third, if Sanae or anyone else form Moriya is playable, they'll likewise get their own stage. And, well, there are only three of them so one stage could easily cover the entire Moriya cast. If I were them I'd probably throw in Aya/Nitori/Kasen/Hina and the rest as a full "youkai mountain" cast. Or maybe that's a reason to have more than one stage?

I suppose the observation about Satori is interesting though. The fact that they haven't been randomly squeezed into the stages like Medicine and Letty might indicate... something. Maybe one of them is playable, or maybe Suwako's stage is still the reactor. Who knows?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 05:51:58 AM by Clarste »

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #803 on: May 19, 2013, 06:25:30 AM »
Does every character need a stage? Why can't we just fight in the reactor, if that's where we want to fight?

« Reply #804 on: May 19, 2013, 06:37:30 AM »
Every character gets their own stage for the sake of arcade mode, I think. You can always select your stages for VS mode though.

« Reply #805 on: May 19, 2013, 06:56:07 AM »
Everyone needs a stage because the BGM is associated with the stages and obviously everyone gets their own theme song.

« Reply #806 on: May 19, 2013, 07:14:53 AM »
Check out this Byakuren art that's already been made: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=big&illust_id=35764111

Ah, Byakuren, you are the light of my day.

Guys. Guys. I call the next character's portrait as my avvie. :V

It's gonna be Sanae.

OK, I said that on Byakuren's day and I was wrong, but I'm pretty sure this time :V

They've revealed a Buddhist and a Taoist. Shinto's gotta be next, right? You gotta ROTATE.

The proportions in all the portraits are weird; all the torsos look really small, and the legs are very long.

The legs aren't that long IMO. I think it's more that the arms are ridiculously short, which make them look that way. I mean, just look at Ichirin.

My god. Her arms can't even reach past the top of her head. Raise your hand above your head, and you'll find that this is most definitely not the case in real life.

it is even posted in pixiv as well!

Ichirin color fix please. Her Cirno-colored hair, yuck.

I suppose the observation about Satori is interesting though. The fact that they haven't been randomly squeezed into the stages like Medicine and Letty might indicate... something. Maybe one of them is playable, or maybe Suwako's stage is still the reactor. Who knows?

omg Koishi confirmed I could see the SA crew being at the Moriya Shrine. I mean, Koishi was visiting it in SA extra. It would be less of a stretch than a lot of the random-as-hell spectators at the Mausoleum, anyways.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 07:18:06 AM by Star King »

Formless God

« Reply #807 on: May 19, 2013, 07:45:44 AM »
Her arm is making a _ shape. It wouldn't go past the top of her head.
The arms seem proportionally correct with the body. It's just that the head is retardedly big.

Zil

« Reply #808 on: May 19, 2013, 08:00:27 AM »
Aside from the heads being huge, they all seem mostly balanced to me. Futo's almost really cute, but those eyelashes...

Does anyone know who/what that is behind the explosion under Byakuren in the screenshot? I can't tell if it's part of her sprite or a background character.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #809 on: May 19, 2013, 09:44:54 AM »
They've revealed a Buddhist and a Taoist. Shinto's gotta be next, right? You gotta ROTATE.

More like two humans (Reimu & Marisa in the first video), two Buddhists (Ichirin in demo, then Byakuren) and a Taoist. If anything, the trend points to a next Taoist.