Author Topic: Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade. Yay!  (Read 467438 times)

MaStErSpArK94

Re: Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade. Yay!
« Reply #750 on: May 18, 2013, 01:46:01 PM »

We get a better look of the Mausoleum. Also, Medicine. :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 04:03:48 PM by Drizzly Magician »

Formless God

« Reply #751 on: May 18, 2013, 01:46:16 PM »
I wonder if you have to put them down in a certain way.
Sounds gimmicky, although I'd love to see them pull something like this off.
I don't like the idea of a character that "gets stronger as the game goes on", though.

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #752 on: May 18, 2013, 01:48:02 PM »
I guess Futo plays somewhat like Alice, with all her dish placements and then using them.

Also, that skirt is just long enough to censor her panties. :V

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #753 on: May 18, 2013, 01:48:30 PM »

We get a better look of the Mausoleum. Also, Medicine :D

How is this underground, again?  :V
Also, where is Medicine? I don't see her...
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

MaStErSpArK94

« Reply #754 on: May 18, 2013, 01:51:22 PM »
Also, where is Medicine? I don't see her...

She's under Futo's health bar.

« Reply #755 on: May 18, 2013, 01:53:35 PM »
Some of you didn't understand her special trait it seems : you don't gain power by setting the dishes but by breaking them.

- Normals and projectiles set up dishes.
- Specials break dishes, giving you more power.

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
« Reply #756 on: May 18, 2013, 01:54:17 PM »
Probably just a false sky created by the astronomical number of desire spirits. We got a good look at it in TD. It was just a very different colour then.
I finally got ahead!

Lukesky180

• Knight of the Hungry Ghost
  • Yuyuko-sama!
    • HSE-Endeavor's Robotics Team
« Reply #757 on: May 18, 2013, 02:01:29 PM »
I bet the next confirmed will be another one of TD's characters. Maybe Miko.
>This is the little mistress.
>Oh, hello little one!
Is this my dream, the destiny to behold?
~Sister of Scarlet~

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #758 on: May 18, 2013, 02:02:15 PM »
Some of you didn't understand her special trait it seems : you don't gain power by setting the dishes but by breaking them.

- Normals and projectiles set up dishes.
- Specials break dishes, giving you more power.
Weird. I dunno then.

I don't like the idea of a character that "gets stronger as the game goes on", though.
That does seem to defeat the purpose of having rounds.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #759 on: May 18, 2013, 02:04:15 PM »
" Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post." x 30

OMG I want to post here too :V

We get a better look of the Mausoleum. Also, Medicine. :D
We get a better look of the Futo's thighs. Also, Medicine. :D
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #760 on: May 18, 2013, 02:06:47 PM »
So Futo's stage has the 3 fairies, Cirno, Letty, Wriggle, and Medicine at least.  Wait, weren't the 3 Fairies at Reimu's too?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #761 on: May 18, 2013, 02:07:01 PM »
This game is definitely taking its share of twists and turns. I'm not a big fan of fighting games, but it'll be fun to see some matches, anyway, maybe even play against the AI every now and then to try some of these hilarious moves.

Overall, though, if there's one thing we can all agree on, it's that the roster will likely drive /jp/ closer and closer to imploding under the force of its own rage, which would be to the benefit of us all.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #762 on: May 18, 2013, 02:07:56 PM »
Is Tasofro going to place all the Windows-era characters to the backgrounds?
Anyway... It is good to see Letty and Wriggle making an appearance.
Blog updated: 14.11.2011
Twitter

Imosa

« Reply #763 on: May 18, 2013, 02:15:13 PM »
This is a kinda disappointing stage because nobody fits into it. Like, who hangs out at the Mausoleum? Well fairies hang out everywhere so faeries, and, heck, Medicine, why not. It seems like these characters are thrown here for no real purpose other then to be a crowd, for which more generic character would be more appropriate. Wriggle isn't even watching the fight, and isn't Letty supposed to melt when its not winter. I just dunno.

« Reply #764 on: May 18, 2013, 02:18:10 PM »
. . . and isn't Letty supposed to melt when its not winter. I just dunno.
According to Touhou wiki Letty moves to unknown place when the spring arrives, so yeah I was surprised to see her on the background.
Hehe... Now it has been confirmed: When it is not winter, Letty hangs out at the Spirit Mausoleum...
Blog updated: 14.11.2011
Twitter

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #765 on: May 18, 2013, 02:20:53 PM »
Feng shui master who governs dragon lines
Mononobe Futo

[NOTE: Dragon line: a center concept of feng shui, the lines of energy running underneath geographic features. No way is Futo able to manipulate that.]

To save people whose heart has become desolate, Miko has begun to take action.
She says by gathering the scattered faith to herself, she will change people's decadent way of life.
For this purpose, competition with other religious leaders is unavoidable.
Hence Futo will be going about, providing her support.
This "support" involves giving aftercare to the losers...
[NOTE: "Aftercare" here seems to be a pun meaning both "care for patients during and after recovery", and "after-sales service".]

Ability:
Through the "ritual" of smashing plates put on the field,
Futo can amplify her own hermit power.
With increased hermit power, various attacks will be enhanced.
The hermit power is not reset between rounds,
so the longer the fight, the more advantage she can have.

Last Word: Reform by Great Fire

[NOTE: pun on "Taika Reform"]

Putting a fire around her, turning the field into a sea of flames.
Futo herself is unaffected by the fire,
but the opponent?s health will deplete gradually near the fire.
The closer they are, the more health they lose.

Summary of blog:

Set up plates with melee and shooting attacks.
Smash them with specials.
Smashing increases your stats.

There are methods for you to set up plates during your escape, or  smash the plates safely. The plates can?t be set if your shots can?t hit the enemy.
There are pressure-inducing specials after successfully setting up multiple plates, so her play always starts with setup.
The special in the screenshot is "Water-Embracing Plates" ("water-embracing" is a feng shui terminology, referring to a river?s convex bank, which has concentrated flood soil, so is good for living), causing the water in the plates around Futo to splash. It?s useless if you have no plates near her.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 02:49:55 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #766 on: May 18, 2013, 02:24:19 PM »
This is a kinda disappointing stage because nobody fits into it. Like, who hangs out at the Mausoleum? Well fairies hang out everywhere so faeries, and, heck, Medicine, why not. It seems like these characters are thrown here for no real purpose other then to be a crowd, for which more generic character would be more appropriate. Wriggle isn't even watching the fight, and isn't Letty supposed to melt when its not winter. I just dunno.

Well, we should have in mind the overall theme here - a clash of faiths. This might be so much of an Unprecedented Serious Affair that word spreads fast, and everyone wants to see how things unravel. Or maybe they're just bored. People do all kinds of inexplicable things; shouldn't be any different for youkai (hell, inexplicable behavior might be even more natural for youkai).

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Mayson

• The future... A new age!
« Reply #767 on: May 18, 2013, 02:25:29 PM »
This is looking more and more delicious.

Well, we should have in mind the overall theme here - a clash of faiths. This might be so much of an Unprecedented Serious Affair that word spreads fast, and everyone wants to see how things unravel. Or maybe they're just bored. People do all kinds of inexplicable things; shouldn't be any different for youkai (hell, inexplicable behavior might be even more natural for youkai).
Seems reasonable. Not to forget that ZUNs approach (and probably Tasofros) is to think of Gensokyo as an unreasonable place, so logic should be out of question to begin with.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 02:30:13 PM by Mayson »

cuc

« Reply #768 on: May 18, 2013, 02:35:16 PM »
Futo's special ability is here, and it's ominous.

蠱毒皿の積重 Accumulated Weight of Venom Plates

蠱: magical venomous insects bred by sorcerers inside their containers.

積重: 積重 itself is an ancient Chinese word. There's also the Japanese verb 積み重ね. "Accumulation".

Futo's ability icon: kashiwa leaves, same as the new game logo. As I said, these are sacred leaves used to wrap Shinto offerings, and became the symbol of high priests, including the Mononobe clan. Futo's roots are still in Shintoism.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:16:46 PM by cuc »

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
« Reply #769 on: May 18, 2013, 02:42:42 PM »
Futo's special ability is here, and it's ominous.

蠱毒皿の積重
Accumulated Weight of Venom Plates
If I had to guess, the mention of venom and a life sapping sea of fire, I think Futo's going to be the slow but constant life drain kind of character, and said life sapping increases as the number of plates smashed goes up.
I finally got ahead!

Imosa

« Reply #770 on: May 18, 2013, 02:47:48 PM »
Maybe. I have this nagging feeling that this entire religious conflict is just some thing everyone started because they were bored. There's some investment by the more zealous people but by and large it's just a thing. Everyone is also watching simply because they are bored. Then, at some point in the mix here, they'll take care of the big bad in like two stages of real plot, and then go right back to being bored.

Seems reasonable. Not to forget that ZUNs approach (and probably Tasofros) is to think of Gensokyo as an unreasonable place, so logic should be out of question to begin with.
Doing things because one is bored, isn't unreasonable. These characters do have motivations.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #771 on: May 18, 2013, 02:50:58 PM »
Woah, Letty and Wriggle still exists? Nice to see them around.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #772 on: May 18, 2013, 02:53:01 PM »
You know, the stage looks strangely similar to Giant Toad's Pond, Aya's stage in PoFV (played it just now). It's possible the Mausoleum was moved. Since it's on Youkai Mountain, it may make sense for hermits to be there. And it explains why those characters are in the background - Cirno likes to play there, after all.

cuc

« Reply #773 on: May 18, 2013, 03:03:26 PM »
True, that was also my first thought, except the pond is in the mountain, and surrounded by trees.

Futo's ability icon: kashiwa leaves, same as the new game logo. As I said, these are sacred leaves used to wrap Shinto offerings, and became the symbol of high priests, including the Mononobe clan. Futo's roots are still in Shintoism.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:16:01 PM by cuc »

« Reply #774 on: May 18, 2013, 03:11:01 PM »
That portrait makes her look like a 6 year old  :V
Anyway I've been pleasently suprised by these developments, really looking forward to seeing how the next characters play.

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #775 on: May 18, 2013, 03:42:51 PM »
Woo, Futo! Now we just need Miko and Shou! :D

Oh god there better be a background character removal feature. If there isn't and Shou doesn't make it, I will be SUPER PISSED at Tasofro. D:
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

Sanger Zonvolt

• Sword That Cleaves Evil
« Reply #776 on: May 18, 2013, 03:44:27 PM »
Cirno looks upset that she isn't playable.

Waga Zankantou ni tatenu mono nashi!

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #777 on: May 18, 2013, 03:49:22 PM »
This trait thing is similar to the character traits in Injustice: Gods Among Us, right?

Thanks in advance!

« Reply #778 on: May 18, 2013, 04:35:09 PM »
Wow, I wondered if they shortened the shirt but it's actually more like SoPM lengthened it from the original art. That said, Futo's mannerisms and both ZUN's and SoPM's alt always made me think of her as kinda old-ish looking (for a Touhou character. That would mean like, high 20's to mid thirties or so) but her HM art... yea, she looks more childish than Remilia, Hisou Suwako, and Cirno :O I know the proportions were too small for the other characters but for Futo it's just REALLY bizarre.

I suppose the proportions might not be all that different from say, Marisa's or the others, and just are more blatant due to no frumpy dress covering it up.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #779 on: May 18, 2013, 05:01:46 PM »
The proportions in all the portraits are weird; all the torsos look really small, and the legs are very long.

Fortunately, the in-game sprites look better
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.