Author Topic: Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade. Yay!  (Read 467447 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Re: Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade. Yay!
« Reply #600 on: May 16, 2013, 01:12:28 AM »
Of course they'll update the site.

>encryption and cut-ins

As a matter of fact, HM's encryption is not difficult. For example, I've posted a pic dump made by unknown parties of the first demo in January. All the difficulty comes from the vertical text.

Besides, supposing the game data can't be decrypted, you can always use the TexMod tool to extract its graphics from memory. Someone in this thread has done exactly that last month.

I'm wondering... is there a way to display English vertically but still keep it readable AND fit in all the info?

I think there might be localized 16-bit games that displayed small amount of English text vertically, by using a faux-Japanese caligraphy or a handwritten font where each English letter has the same width as a kanji. And scanlations had to do it from time to time. HM would have a lot more text with some long words, however.

A proposal: someone make a translation mockup of that screenshot, using a heavily italicized font with thin lines, to test what can be achieved.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 02:41:15 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #601 on: May 16, 2013, 08:21:01 AM »

I gave it a quick try and as you can see, it's horrible. I used Swis721 Lt BT font, size 16, standard on the left and italicized on the right.
Using thick letters or bolding them only make it worse, also it's hard to notice the ' in those 's. If you want it to be right to left then then it can be reversed.
It didn't finish all the way since it reached the word cap, but this is more of a technical issue on my side, really.
Maybe we should use other fonts?

I don't know if it's possible but I think it's better to change the size of the bubble. That bubble pic that you posted, maybe we can change it to a wider one so we can have horizontal texts. This will probably cause some issues, like the bubble stacking on other things, but we should be able to find a way around that.

« Reply #602 on: May 16, 2013, 09:11:46 AM »
Woah, vertical text in English is hard to read.

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #603 on: May 16, 2013, 10:10:05 AM »
Vertical texts could work for single words, but whole sentences just looks awful.

« Reply #604 on: May 16, 2013, 10:12:51 AM »
Dunno if it'll make it any better, but how about writing in all caps for vertical texts?  Sure it'll look aesthetically bad but I suppose it'd still be good if easier to read.

« Reply #605 on: May 16, 2013, 10:15:08 AM »
Vertical text is weird. I think there are certain fonts made for it. Otherwise, you could try 90cw; it might be "inaccurate", but this is a high-effort translation.

« Reply #606 on: May 16, 2013, 10:34:40 AM »

I'm not really sure with this.... What do you guys think?

« Reply #607 on: May 16, 2013, 10:51:50 AM »
All caps with italics is by far the easiest to read when compared with the other examples, but it's still lacking a bit.  Mmm.  Will try thinking of something but I think we're getting closer to a solution.

« Reply #608 on: May 16, 2013, 11:08:56 AM »
Vertical text is weird. I think there are certain fonts made for it. Otherwise, you could try 90cw; it might be "inaccurate", but this is a high-effort translation.

I don't think there's a point in having it like this unless you don't mind straining your neck. Have some rainbow while I'm at it.

Lukesky180

• Knight of the Hungry Ghost
  • Yuyuko-sama!
    • HSE-Endeavor's Robotics Team
« Reply #609 on: May 16, 2013, 11:51:34 AM »

I don't think there's a point in having it like this unless you don't mind straining your neck. Have some rainbow while I'm at it.
This looks really good, and you don't really have to strain your neck. For me, it's easily readable without doing so. I think that this would work best, because the vertical english is much harder to read. Anyways, thanks for the effort, all!
>This is the little mistress.
>Oh, hello little one!
Is this my dream, the destiny to behold?
~Sister of Scarlet~

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #610 on: May 16, 2013, 12:06:04 PM »
I can also read the cw text better. I would not mind seeing this in a game.

Mayson

• The future... A new age!
« Reply #611 on: May 16, 2013, 12:48:40 PM »

It sure beats understanding nothing by a mile. :3

I say, beggars can't be choosers. It's not like we pay anything for the translation.

cuc

« Reply #612 on: May 16, 2013, 12:55:20 PM »
Well the truth is, if you can hack the program to display variable text width (which I think Mauve did with the Soku patch) like in monhan's mockup, you may as well try making the program display horizontal text. I don't think there'll ever be a need to change the balloon sizes.

« Reply #613 on: May 16, 2013, 01:09:23 PM »
Update to the HM-page...
Page now contains Reimus, Marisas and Ichirins profiles.
Blog updated: 14.11.2011
Twitter

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #614 on: May 16, 2013, 01:50:59 PM »
So not a new character  to start with, hmm.. Well, hopefully tomorrow.

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #615 on: May 16, 2013, 03:38:51 PM »
I look forward to the various Touhou music arrangements.
And the way Tasogare Frontier handles the story mode.
Wonder what kinds of special abilities other characters will have.

Short question.
Is Marisa's special ability a homage to anything else?
Signature

cuc

« Reply #616 on: May 16, 2013, 03:58:56 PM »
I don't know if its gameplay mechanic references any game (seems too generic to be a specific homage), but I figured out its name reference soon after the first demo. It's "Third Time Embellisher" or even "Third Offense Embellisher", referencing Al Gore's "serial embellisher" nickname. (The "third time" part could be a reference to US felony law's "third strike" rule.)

Reimu's ability name: "Law of Universal Spirit Power" (referencing "law of universal gravity").

Ichirin's: "The Quiet Rage".
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 04:04:09 PM by cuc »

« Reply #617 on: May 16, 2013, 04:03:23 PM »
I'm calling Sanae to be announced next. Come at me.

G_H

« Reply #618 on: May 16, 2013, 04:06:42 PM »
Hi guys. Don't mind me, I'm nobody. Just got something small to say.

This may be a silly remark. Maybe down to the level of outright stupidity. But I figure I might as well ask it. Has anyone considered quite simply contacting Tasogare Frontier about making an English translation?
You see, they're only people, just like you and me, who'd like to get their work out there. Now if it comes to their attention that the fan base here in the west is very serious about these things, AND it were to be offered to them to provide a high quality translation, perhaps they might show interest in assisting in the creation of a patch. Frontier Aja, creators of the Koumajou Densetsu series, even provided an English and French translation, and they're a doujin circle too.

I figure this would be the path of least resistance. Anyone doing black hat hacks will confirm that trying to get something via people is usually the first thing you should try before going the hard route of delving into the machine nightmares called compiled code.

cuc

« Reply #619 on: May 16, 2013, 04:36:14 PM »
Super hasty translation of backstories:

Reimu: same as screenshot.

Marisa:
The village is in a festive mood.
However, hidden in the festival, is a scent of decadence and transience.
This is a scent favored by religious leaders who consider seizing human hearts their calling.
She decided to strike first, and increase her own companions before the religious leaders do it.

(Whoa, "increase her own companions? She never needed them before. Marisa is a zombie now?)

Ichirin:
The abbess of Myouren Temple is out on a mission said to be important to humans.
Ichirin, who is still in training, is left to guard the temple.
However, the situation has changed.
Challengers have shown up at Myouren Temple.

« Reply #620 on: May 16, 2013, 04:36:31 PM »
Huh, I thought people will find it weird to have to read the text like that.

Well the truth is, if you can hack the program to display variable text width (which I think Mauve did with the Soku patch) like in monhan's mockup, you may as well try making the program display horizontal text. I don't think there'll ever be a need to change the balloon sizes.
I meant that if we want to have horizontal text, we need to change the orientation, else the text will be too crowded since the width is too small. I don't really understand how it works so any better solution is good.

Update to the HM-page...
Page now contains Reimus, Marisas and Ichirins profiles.
She's likely to be in, but I honestly can't wait till they confirm Byakuren. Kanako is second on my wish-list.
However, as much as I'm dying to see her, it would be nice if they introduce someone from the Taoist faction first. Hope it will be added tomorrow.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #621 on: May 16, 2013, 05:06:23 PM »
I am so glad they fixed Ichirin's arm...

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #622 on: May 16, 2013, 06:32:39 PM »
Hi guys. Don't mind me, I'm nobody. Just got something small to say.

This may be a silly remark. Maybe down to the level of outright stupidity. But I figure I might as well ask it. Has anyone considered quite simply contacting Tasogare Frontier about making an English translation?
You see, they're only people, just like you and me, who'd like to get their work out there. Now if it comes to their attention that the fan base here in the west is very serious about these things, AND it were to be offered to them to provide a high quality translation, perhaps they might show interest in assisting in the creation of a patch. Frontier Aja, creators of the Koumajou Densetsu series, even provided an English and French translation, and they're a doujin circle too.

I figure this would be the path of least resistance. Anyone doing black hat hacks will confirm that trying to get something via people is usually the first thing you should try before going the hard route of delving into the machine nightmares called compiled code.

Seconding this. Figure it's at least worth asking, right?

Also good point about Frontier Aja.

« Reply #623 on: May 16, 2013, 06:36:01 PM »
(Whoa, "increase her own companions? She never needed them before. Marisa is a zombie now?)

She has to secure the harem route, before religious zealots deny polygamy...
Blog updated: 14.11.2011
Twitter

Kirin no Sora

• Wanderer of Gensokyo
  • I have returned from the nothingness once more...
« Reply #624 on: May 16, 2013, 07:24:08 PM »
Um, guys...

I found this when I ran a Google search for "Touhou 13.5" pics, so I saved it on imgur to show to you guys and ask if this is real or fake or something...
There is no greater joy than knowing that the Touhou invasion is unstoppable, and the legacy of Gensokyo will never fade away...

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #625 on: May 16, 2013, 07:31:05 PM »
Um, guys...

I found this when I ran a Google search for "Touhou 13.5" pics, so I saved it on imgur to show to you guys and ask if this is real or fake or something...

This wasn't among officially released screenshots. Okuu's portrait is from Hisoutensoku too, so most likely fake.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 07:33:04 PM by C.Angel »

Kirin no Sora

• Wanderer of Gensokyo
  • I have returned from the nothingness once more...
« Reply #626 on: May 16, 2013, 07:37:08 PM »
Hmmm... Thanks for the quick response, C. Angel.

Still, the Okuu character sprite in the pic does look nice, yes?
There is no greater joy than knowing that the Touhou invasion is unstoppable, and the legacy of Gensokyo will never fade away...

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #627 on: May 16, 2013, 07:42:19 PM »
Yeah. We can still hope, though.

I have mixed feelings on the roster after seeing Ichirin's backstory. Anything can happen.

Lukesky180

• Knight of the Hungry Ghost
  • Yuyuko-sama!
    • HSE-Endeavor's Robotics Team
« Reply #628 on: May 16, 2013, 08:28:20 PM »
Yay! Marisa's smiling in her portrait!
>This is the little mistress.
>Oh, hello little one!
Is this my dream, the destiny to behold?
~Sister of Scarlet~

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #629 on: May 16, 2013, 09:16:01 PM »

It's not at all a strain to quickly turn my head to read it.  Reading the vertical text was an absolute eye-sore.  If anything, I'd prefer this to no translation at all.
Has anyone considered quite simply contacting Tasogare Frontier about making an English translation?
I say it's worth a shot.  I mean, the worst that can happen is they'll say no.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:18:01 PM by AJS »