Author Topic: Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade. Yay!  (Read 466947 times)

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
Re: Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade. Yay!
« Reply #420 on: May 01, 2013, 06:53:48 PM »
Just 20 days and a little before the final release. I can barely wait.

Pretty sure the silhouette girl will be the only new character on the game... since creating sprites/frames for a lot of different characters would be too time consuming. But that's still good anyway, at least better than nothing.

Wha-? Wasn't released on the 26? Yay! All the better then!

And even if It's only one girl, it will be well-received.

What I wan't to know the most is: How Story Mode will be? I mean, same as the other or what?
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

MaStErSpArK94

« Reply #421 on: May 01, 2013, 07:35:19 PM »
What I wan't to know the most is: How Story Mode will be? I mean, same as the other or what?

I'm wondering this as well.

They'll probably give the Story Mode fights some sort of gimmick, like the Spell Break Gauge in Soku.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #422 on: May 01, 2013, 07:38:31 PM »

I'm hoping Story Mode won't have a spell card feature like on IaMP and SWR. I mean, forcing you to break the enemy's spell cards in order to proceed. I'd just want regular fights, like on the demo/or fighting games in general.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Giratina93

• The Great Titan of a Lost Realm
  • Behold, the Dark Lord of Distortion sees all
« Reply #423 on: May 01, 2013, 08:59:29 PM »
I'm hoping Story Mode won't have a spell card feature like on IaMP and SWR. I mean, forcing you to break the enemy's spell cards in order to proceed. I'd just want regular fights, like on the demo/or fighting games in general.

The main reason for those Spellcards is because the AI in the fighting games is, for lack of a better word, retarded. Without them, the fights would be laughably easy even on Lunatic, so the Spellcards are there to give them some form of challenge. If the AI in HM were like the earlier demo, then I could see there being no need for forced Spellcards, but since the AI was changed back into being silly in the recent web demo...
Why... why must weak humans destroy their world? Why can they not preserve that which they see so dear to them? Why must all life perish before immortality?

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #424 on: May 01, 2013, 09:25:33 PM »
Makin' a list of who we haven't seen yet...
... maybe we can guess who may show up...

Rumia
Cirno
Hong Meiling
Flandre
Letty
Alice
Youmu
Yuyuko
Wriggle
Mystia
Aya
Yuuka
Medicine
Komachi
Eiki
Shizuha
Minoriko
Hina
Nitori
Momiji
Sanae
Kanako
Suwako (Side note: No one from MoF has been seen yet...)
Iku
Tenshi
Kisume
Yamame
Parsee
Satori
Rin
Utsuho
Koishi
Hatate
Kogasa
Shou
Byakuren
Kyouko
Yoshika
Seiga
Tojiko
Futo
Miko
Mamizou (Side note: Likewise, no one from 10D has been seen yet...)
Akyu
Kasen
Yorihime
Toyohime
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:29:13 PM by Aya Reiko »

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #425 on: May 01, 2013, 11:02:34 PM »
From the list above, I'd say:

High chances: Shou, Byakuren, Futo, Miko
Average chances: Sanae, Aya, Mamizou

Suwako and Kanako has better chances of appearing on Sanae's stage in the audience than being playable characters themselves.

All the others have either low or no chances of appearing. Except maybe in the audience of random stages.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #426 on: May 01, 2013, 11:41:15 PM »
From the list above, I'd say:

High chances: Shou, Byakuren, Futo, Miko
Average chances: Sanae, Aya, Mamizou

Suwako and Kanako has better chances of appearing on Sanae's stage in the audience than being playable characters themselves.

All the others have either low or no chances of appearing. Except maybe in the audience of random stages.

Do we know how many characters the game is supposed to have? I would generally expect more than just 10-12 for a fighting game. Or are there people you expect to see but who aren't on that list?
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #427 on: May 01, 2013, 11:46:51 PM »
A lot of time in-game was spent establishing Byakruen as a big deal, what with her casually stealing everyone's shot types and upshowing them. She definitely has strength in numbers, and quite a few of her followers (Mamizou, probably Nue, and possibly Shou) seem to be exceptionally strong in-universe, along with having very useful non-shooting powers.

I have to admit I have no idea what you're talking about. When did Byakuren steal everyone's shot type? When was she even said to be powerful?  Honestly I think Shou gets more hype than her, what with the "reduced to ash" thing in SoPM. But yes, she has good followers.

Miko's special ability probably makes her more dangerous than was really evident in-game, but she's fairly light on followers right now, not to mention less established in the world and Byakruen and likely cut off from a majority of the people who would still be loyal to her as well (similarly to Byakuren, but without the ideology that's attractive to both Youkai and humans that I bet makes making friends a lot easier). Although I suppose Miko does have name recognition, so that might be enough to rope her some new followers.

Byakuren's ideology isn't very attractive to humans, and Miko's is. Remember, Miko's the champion of humanity among our three leaders. Byakuren attracts youkai, while Miko attracts humans. Although admittedly youkai are probably stronger than humans on average. Also, it's specifically said that Byakuren has a hard time making friends because she doesn't attend drinking parties. There's an implication that people think of her as kind of a boring stick-in-the-mud.

Kanako doesn't seem exceptionally strong in canon, but she is apparently quite a schemer, and there are theoretically way more Shinto gods floating around Gensokyo than just the relatively few we've seen. Not to mention that their numbers include at the very least Hina and the Aki sisters (who would be a weird choice for a fighting game now that I think about it). And I did kind of automatically count Reimu as being on their side, but you're right that there's nothing really indicating that she would side with them. It would be pretty cool to finally see her shrine's god though.

Shinto gods compete with each other though. There's no reason for them to form any kind of faction. I'm pretty sure it's only the Moriya Shrine faction, rather than an alliance of all Shinto gods. Although, to be fair there's no reason for the Taoists to work together either, which can split them up into Miko + her vassals and Seiga + her zombie. Whether they work together or not depends on Seiga's mood.

So with literal in-canon numbers we have seven for Shinto (not counting Reimu but counting the Akis as separate characters), nine for Buddhism (counting Ichirin and Unzan as the same character) and five for Taoism. Given that I would be pretty surprised if Soga or Yoshika became full-on independent playable characters, that's slim pickings for Miko. I suppose three characters for each side would be enough, but numerically and possibly in the story Miko does seem to be lagging behind the other groups.

Honestly I would expect only 2 characters per side. Mostly because as you say the Taoists don't have enough heavy hitters, although I'd extend that to Moriya too (Suwako is strong but I can't see her getting involved in something like this). Maybe the Buddhists numerical advantage could be represented by giving them 3 on their side? Which would bring the playable character count to 2 protagonists, 2 Tao, 2 Shinto, 3 Buddha, and 1 final boss for a total of 10. Which seems reasonable to me for a revamped graphics engine. IaMP started with 10 too.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #428 on: May 02, 2013, 12:11:12 AM »
I have to admit I have no idea what you're talking about. When did Byakuren steal everyone's shot type? When was she even said to be powerful?  Honestly I think Shou gets more hype than her, what with the "reduced to ash" thing in SoPM. But yes, she has good followers.

During her fight in UFO she uses Reimu's amulets, Marisa's stars, Yuyuko's butterflies, and an entire attack from Shinki. Granted it's not that rare for last bosses to use amulets and/or butterflies, but stars are fairly rare. At least I saw some significance in the fact that she uses a variety of other characters' trademark bullets.

Byakuren's ideology isn't very attractive to humans, and Miko's is. Remember, Miko's the champion of humanity among our three leaders. Byakuren attracts youkai, while Miko attracts humans. Although admittedly youkai are probably stronger than humans on average. Also, it's specifically said that Byakuren has a hard time making friends because she doesn't attend drinking parties. There's an implication that people think of her as kind of a boring stick-in-the-mud.

I seem to remember Byakuren's new temple being popular with both humans and Youkai in at least one of the UFO endings, but admittedly I haven't played it in a while.

Shinto gods compete with each other though. There's no reason for them to form any kind of faction. I'm pretty sure it's only the Moriya Shrine faction, rather than an alliance of all Shinto gods. Although, to be fair there's no reason for the Taoists to work together either, which can split them up into Miko + her vassals and Seiga + her zombie. Whether they work together or not depends on Seiga's mood.

I haven't been paying close attention to anything revealed in the demo yet since I'm waiting on the full game, so if the Shinto faction is in fact the Moriya faction I probably missed it. Given Kanako's apparent tendency to manipulate people into doing what she wants it seems to follow that she could unite a number of Shinto gods if she and they are being threatened by other religions. Even if they don't work together normally it seems reasonable that they would at least not be working against each-other in a religious war. Similarly for Miko and Seiga, this seems like a decent reason to get back together for a while.

Honestly I would expect only 2 characters per side. Mostly because as you say the Taoists don't have enough heavy hitters, although I'd extend that to Moriya too (Suwako is strong but I can't see her getting involved in something like this). Maybe the Buddhists numerical advantage could be represented by giving them 3 on their side? Which would bring the playable character count to 2 protagonists, 2 Tao, 2 Shinto, 3 Buddha, and 1 final boss for a total of 10. Which seems reasonable to me for a revamped graphics engine. IaMP started with 10 too.

Yeah, I guess given the new system an extremely tiny cast is possible. If that's the case, that breakdown sounds about right. Who would you expect to see in that case?

Reimu
Marisa
Miko
Futo
Kanako
Sanae
Byakuren
Ichirin+Unzan
Boss

I couldn't even guess who the third Buddhist slot might be. Murasa, Shou, Nue, or Mamizou are all strong contenders and I can't think of anything that would give one of them a better chance than the others. And I would really like to see Seiga+Yoshika as a playable character, but Futo seems more likely.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:16:15 AM by commandercool »

« Reply #429 on: May 02, 2013, 12:21:06 AM »
I seem to remember Byakuren's new temple being popular with both humans and Youkai in at least one of the UFO endings, but admittedly I haven't played it in a while.

This was explained in SoPM as being due to Shou giving the temple good fortune. Business is booming, but that's just business. Her ideology hasn't really caught on, not even among her own followers. Well, to be fair it says that her visitors stick around because of her words, but its popularity isn't spreading through word of mouth or anything. Shou is just overpowered as a god of fortune.

I haven't been paying close attention to anything revealed in the demo yet since I'm waiting on the full game, so if the Shinto faction is in fact the Moriya faction I probably missed it. Given Kanako's apparent tendency to manipulate people into doing what she wants it seems to follow that she could unite a number of Shinto gods if she and they are being threatened by other religions. Even if they don't work together normally it seems reasonable that they would at least not be working against each-other in a religious war. Similarly for Miko and Seiga, this seems like a decent reason to get back together for a while.

To be honest I don't think it was ever stated, I was just making an assumption since Kanako was one of the main characters of SoPM. When you talk about a 3 way clash between the religions it's hard for me to not think it's an extension of SoPM. On the other hand, it's unlikely that Reimu would take it on herself to champion Shinto, and Kanako is definitely the best choice for a leader of that faction. Not to mention Sanae is essentially a protagonist by now so she'll certainly show up. I still really really doubt that they'd ally with other random Shinto gods though. There's really no point, both from the perspective of the strength of these minor gods and because they're directly competing with each other. From a historical standpoint, the idea of Shinto even being a unified religion is a relatively recent historical phenomenon meant to create a state religion by linking together a bunch of random folklore. Traditionally people would worship their local gods and ignore the others.

Yeah, I guess given the new system an extremely tiny cast is possible. If that's the case, that breakdown sounds about right. Who would you expect to see in that case?

Reimu
Marisa
Miko
Futo
Kanako
Sanae
Byakuren
Ichirin+Unzan
Boss

I couldn't even guess who the third Buddhist slot might be. Shou, Nue, or Mamizou are all strong contenders and I can't think of anything that would give one of them a better chance than the others. And I would really like to see Seiga+Yoshika as a playable character, but Futo seems more likely.

I have basically the same thoughts as you except I wouldn't count Nue as a contender. Mamizou and Shou seem like much more solid choices, with Mamizou edging slightly higher for the plot and Shou for the lasers. I'd also like to see Seiga more than Futo, but I think the best chance of that happening is if Miko ends up with spells that summon Futo.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:24:12 AM by Clarste »

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #430 on: May 02, 2013, 12:29:32 AM »
Well... I only know something. Making such high quality frames/sprites isn't an easy task, even for Tasofro.

Not only that, but the full release will be really soon. I don't think they'll have enough time to make so many characters, and the game must already be complete, or really close to that by this point anyway.

So... I have a feeling it'll be around 7 ~ 9 characters total (that counting the new girl) I doubt there will be any more than that... my expectations are simply not so big.

I could say: Reimu, Marisa, Ichirin, Shou, Byakuren, Futo, Miko, Someone Else (maybe from the Moriya trio), Silhouette Girl.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #431 on: May 02, 2013, 12:36:11 AM »
I am really sure that Nyan Nyan will show up as playable. The potential moveset that she has with yoshika could be promising,
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #432 on: May 02, 2013, 12:37:45 AM »
Well... I only know something. Making such high quality frames/sprites isn't an easy task, even for Tasofro.

Not only that, but the full release will be really soon. I don't think they'll have enough time to make so many characters, and the game must already be complete, or really close to that by this point anyway.

So... I have a feeling it'll be around 7 ~ 9 characters total (that counting the new girl) I doubt there will be any more than that... my expectations are simply not so big.

I could say: Reimu, Marisa, Ichirin, Shou, Byakuren, Futo, Miko, Someone Else (maybe from the Moriya trio), Silhouette Girl.

Ten characters is already very low for a fighting game, but seven would be unheard of, wouldn't it? I don't mind trying to reign in my expectations based on the difficulty of the task, but I'd be a little disappointed if there were that few.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #433 on: May 02, 2013, 12:44:57 AM »
Well... they can always release extra patches later adding more characters. Like what they did with Meiling on IaMP.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #434 on: May 02, 2013, 12:47:37 AM »
Actually, it makes sense. Let's just look at our own world. Everyone has his own hobbies, professions and friend circles he operates in. You could argue that everyone outside of these boundaries is at first glance just "more humans". At the same time, everyone is his own personality and behaves as such, has certain physical features and state of minds.

It makes sense to flesh even random characters out, it makes the world more lively. Worlds where there are just the "main characters" and "plot characters" and everyone else is villager X / Youkai Y / Trespasser Z are not very immersive because of the lack of existing "personalities".
Alright, I've been working really hard to try and figure out how to explain this, so lets see how I did. First of all, lets suppose that your right and everyone in the real world has a deep personality, and Gensokyo is similar to the real world in this manner. That would be a statement about how much information a population contains; however, that's not our problem. Our problem is about how best to convey the information about that population in a story.
I'm not saying it doesn't make sense for Mystia to have a back story, and unique traits. That is part of making a 3 dimensional character and 3 dimensional characters are good. However, when Mystia was introduced she was playing an important roll for the universe. She was a run-of-the-mill character, showing that not everyone in Gensokyo is special, and establishing a norm for the world. More specifically she was serving this same purpose for Night Sparrows who are supposed to be common (I think).  However, when Mystia was given the food cart business and the punk rock bit, she became a unique character and stopped becoming a representative of the norm in Gensokyo, and the Night Sparrows. Again, this isn't a problem for Mystia. Instead it's a problem for the world ZUN is trying to establish because it has lost a mechanism which was establishing the setting for use readers, and that is bad story telling.
What I think ZUN should be doing, if he wants to characterize people in this universe, he needs to make sure to maintain a base of unimportant, "normal" characters so that Genskyo remains a feasible place to exist, and I mean unimportant in all cases, not just unimportant in how Mystia is unimportant in the context of Imperishable Night.

Yeah, I think we can pretty much count on that. Reimu is Shinto, and seems to react to other faiths - even Buddhism - with grudging tolerance at best.
While I agree she will represent Shinto, due to her title, I don't think she'll do it because she wants to. I get the impression that she hates all the religions, even her own. All she wants to do is keep the peace and then enjoy that peace.

Pretty sure the silhouette girl will be the only new character on the game... since creating sprites/frames for a lot of different characters would be too time consuming. But that's still good anyway, at least better than nothing.
That chain of logic doesn't work. Sprites/frames have to be created for a lot of characters be they new or old.

Also, with all this talk about who can and can't be in this game, are we just excluding the possibility that characters can be taken out of the background, and just because they appear in the backgrounds doesn't mean they can't be playable characters.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:50:39 AM by Imosa »

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #435 on: May 02, 2013, 12:51:29 AM »
That chain of logic doesn't work. Sprites/frames have to be created for a lot of characters be they new or old.

And when did I say they doesn't need to create frames for old characters? I wonder what made you interpret my post this way.

I'm saying she will be the only new character in the game because there won't be enough time to make multiple frames for a lot of characters, regardless if they are new or old.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #436 on: May 02, 2013, 12:54:43 AM »
Well... they can always release extra patches later adding more characters. Like what they did with Meiling on IaMP.

Well yeah, of course.

Also, with all this talk about who can and can't be in this game, are we just excluding the possibility that characters can be taken out of the background, and just because they appear in the backgrounds doesn't mean they can't be playable characters.

Agreed. I haven't been putting a ton of stock in the background characters for that reason. Seems pretty simple to remove them from the background, and mirror matches and Sanae vs. Suwako matches were never a problem for the other games. Not to mention any inconsistencies could be explained by Mamizou and Nue floating around mimicing people from the audience to troll them. :D

« Reply #437 on: May 02, 2013, 01:04:16 AM »
I don't think it matters because none of the people in the background are people I'd expect to show up as playable anyway.

On the other hand, if such a system is in place they'd have to have made it after they created the most recent demo, because none of the three playable characters ever appear in the background, even in their own stages. And while I guess it not impossible to imagine that they're supposed to show up in other stages we haven't seen, the idea that none of them show up in places that are most connected to them seems implausible to me.

Imosa

« Reply #438 on: May 02, 2013, 01:11:59 AM »
And when did I say they doesn't need to create frames for old characters? I wonder what made you interpret my post this way.

I'm saying she will be the only new character in the game because there won't be enough time to make multiple frames for a lot of characters, regardless if they are new or old.
You said, "creating sprites/frames for a lot of different characters would be too time consuming", and used that as evidence for the claim "Pretty sure the silhouette girl will be the only new character on the game".
It is entirely possible that time spent on creating exiting characters will instead be spent creating new characters. The fact that making character art takes time doesn't have any impact on what the character art is of.

Also, why Mamizou? Isn't this supposed to be a religious conflict? I don't think Mamizou is religious at all, she just lives in the Myouren Temple, right? Same thing with Nue, although to a lesser extent since I think she wants to be religious. I would not be surprised if Suwako wasn't in the game. She is supposed to be a passive god, right?

I don't think it matters because none of the people in the background are people I'd expect to show up as playable anyway.

On the other hand, if such a system is in place they'd have to have made it after they created the most recent demo, because none of the three playable characters ever appear in the background, even in their own stages. And while I guess it not impossible to imagine that they're supposed to show up in other stages we haven't seen, the idea that none of them show up in places that are most connected to them seems implausible to me.
This actually seems reasonable to me. I feel like if there were stuff going on at the Hakurei shrine, Reimu would like to be there lest we have a repeat of what happened durring the last fighting game.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #439 on: May 02, 2013, 01:19:40 AM »
Also, why Mamizou? Isn't this supposed to be a religious conflict? I don't think Mamizou is religious at all, she just lives in the Myouren Temple, right? Same thing with Nue, although to a lesser extent since I think she wants to be religious. I would not be surprised if Suwako wasn't in the game. She is supposed to be a passive god, right?

Mamizou and Nue may not be religious, but they do seem to have a relationship with Byakuren so it seems plausible that they would agree to fight with her. Nue probably more than Mamizou, but I wouldn't be shocked to see either. If Suwako appears I think she'll most likely be a background character and/or an attack for Sanae.

This actually seems reasonable to me. I feel like if there were stuff going on at the Hakurei shrine, Reimu would like to be there lest we have a repeat of what happened durring the last fighting game.

Reimu is piling sandbags just offscreen. She doesn't have time to watch, she's preparing for the worst.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:29:28 AM by commandercool »

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #440 on: May 02, 2013, 01:28:32 AM »
You said, "creating sprites/frames for a lot of different characters would be too time consuming", and used that as evidence for the claim "Pretty sure the silhouette girl will be the only new character on the game".
It is entirely possible that time spent on creating exiting characters will instead be spent creating new characters. The fact that making character art takes time doesn't have any impact on what the character art is of.

So... you think there will be more new characters apart from that one girl?

Alright, then you may stick with this idea, while I'll keep sticking to mine that she will be the only new one. It doesn't matter how much you try, you won't be able to change my opinion. By contrast, I won't try to change your opinion neither. Just don't try to force your ideas on the others.

And besides, I said pretty sure, not 100% sure.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:30:13 AM by Magic Magica ~★ »

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Imosa

« Reply #441 on: May 02, 2013, 02:26:40 AM »
Reimu is piling sandbags just offscreen. She doesn't have time to watch, she's preparing for the worst.
Nice. I think I want to see Tenshi at some point.

@Magic Magica ~★: No, I have no idea about new characters.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #442 on: May 02, 2013, 02:46:08 AM »
My guesses for the remaining roster...

Sanae (Kami)
--Sanae's stage: Kanako. Suwako, Hina. Aki sisters, Nitori, Utsuho

Youmu (Kami)
--Youmu 's stage:  Yuyuko and 5-6 others at random

Koishi (Buddist)
--Koishi's stage: Satori, Kogasa, Shou, Byakuren, Akyu

Futo (Taoist)
-- Futo's stage: Miko, Tojiko, plus about 3-5 others seemingly thrown in at random

Kasen (? ? ? ?)
-- Kasen's stage: Komachi, Eiki, Yuuka, plus about 3-5 others seemingly thrown in at random

Seiga (Taoist)
-- Seiga's stage: Kyouko, Mystia, Yoshika, Yamame, Rin, and maybe a couple others

For at total of 9 returning characters.  Add a boss and that's a roster of 10.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:48:43 AM by Aya Reiko »

« Reply #443 on: May 02, 2013, 02:51:55 AM »
Youmu (Kami)

Okay, I guess Koishi was invited to the temple so maybe she's on the Buddhist side, but how exactly is Youmu at all aligned with Shinto? That just seems kind of random. If I had to throw her into one of the categories, I think Buddhist would be the obvious choice because of her spellcard theme where she talks about the different realms of Bhuddist cosmology and stuff.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 02:56:52 AM by Clarste »

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #444 on: May 02, 2013, 03:38:17 AM »
My guesses for the remaining roster...

Sanae (Kami)
--Sanae's stage: Kanako. Suwako, Hina. Aki sisters, Nitori, Utsuho

Youmu (Kami)

Koishi (Buddist)
--Koishi's stage: Satori, Kogasa, Shou, Byakuren, Akyu

Futo (Taoist)
-- Futo's stage: Miko, Tojiko, plus about 3-5 others seemingly thrown in at random

Kasen (? ? ? ?)
-- Kasen's stage: Komachi, Eiki, Yuuka, plus about 3-5 others seemingly thrown in at random

Seiga (Taoist)
-- Seiga's stage: Kyouko, Mystia, Yoshika, Yamame, Rin, and maybe a couple others

For at total of 9 returning characters.  Add a boss and that's a roster of 10.
Imma hijack your template to add a few other possible characters:

Hatate: (? ? ? ?)
-- Hatate's stage: Aya, Momiji, Nitori, Sanae, Kanako, Suwako (I think Reimu will be the sole Shinto representative, but I could be wrong)

Shou (Buddhist)
-- Shou's stage: Alice, maybe Yuka, 4-5 others at random

Byakuren (Buddhist)
-- Byakuren's stage: Shinki? Otherwise, none; it's the inner depths of Makai! What do you expect?

Miko (Taoist)
-- Miko's stage: Tojiko, some divine spirits

Yes, I put some of your background characters in here. If Byakuren and Miko are not playable in the full version, I will be SUPER disappointed in Tasofro. I say Hatate is more likely to appear than Aya because she debuted recently and REALLY needs the screentime; Aya does not.
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

« Reply #445 on: May 02, 2013, 03:42:35 AM »
I don't think ZUN really cares about Hatate though. By his own admission he just forgot to give her a profile in SoPM. I wouldn't really expect to see Aya either though. Maybe this is obvious from how I'm acting, but I'm expecting a fairly small cast almost entirely pulled from MoF, UFO and TD. I'm kind of imagining it as IaMP using those 3 games instead of just EoSD and PCB.

Other characters who are less related might be added in patches or expansions though.

LadyScarlet

« Reply #446 on: May 02, 2013, 03:46:30 AM »
Well, people forget things. Besides, all that beer has to give Zun some memory loss. *flame shield up*

In addition, I think Hatate has more potential than simply being a bland, personality-less character only made to add another playable character in Double Spoiler. And since she was absent from SoPM, this is the perfect time to exploit some of that potential.

« Reply #447 on: May 02, 2013, 03:52:37 AM »
For the record, Byakuren and Miko are pretty much explicitly stated in the prologue for the game (alongside Reimu) so it's safe to assume they'll be showing up.

My guess for the roster is: Reimu, Marisa, Sanae, Ichirin, Byakuren, Seiga, Miko, two new characters.

I figure they can add one more character to make it a round ten, but I can't think of any plot-relevant characters, so maybe someone less central to the religion storyline like Koishi or Kogasa. It would be nice to add Koishi to have someone representing the underground, I guess.

LadyScarlet

« Reply #448 on: May 02, 2013, 04:10:51 AM »
For the record, Byakuren and Miko are pretty much explicitly stated in the prologue for the game (alongside Reimu) so it's safe to assume they'll be showing up.

My guess for the roster is: Reimu, Marisa, Sanae, Ichirin, Byakuren, Seiga, Miko, two new characters.

I figure they can add one more character to make it a round ten, but I can't think of any plot-relevant characters, so maybe someone less central to the religion storyline like Koishi or Kogasa. It would be nice to add Koishi to have someone representing the underground, I guess.
SHOU. FUTO. Why didn't you think of them? They're just as important as their bosses, and neither appear in the background!

Oh, and obligitory Hatate.

« Reply #449 on: May 02, 2013, 04:15:56 AM »
Byakuren and Miko seem to be more active than their stage-5-boss counterparts, so it seems more like they'll get the spotlight over Shou or Futo. It's possible that they'll all show up, but I personally don't think that they'll really fit in. Also, Shou and Futo could probably appear in the backgrounds of Byakuren and Miko, respectively, so  ::)