Author Topic: Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade. Yay!  (Read 467530 times)

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
Re: Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade. Yay!
« Reply #300 on: April 25, 2013, 07:06:03 PM »

5 MAGIC STONES CONFIRMED!! :o
ftfy :V

Kirin no Sora

• Wanderer of Gensokyo
  • I have returned from the nothingness once more...
« Reply #301 on: April 25, 2013, 08:31:23 PM »
A fabric motif background, decorated with bells and platycodons (bellflowers).

Something tells me that a certain someone from Forbidden Scrollery is involved in this game, and that the character in the title screen is something that she 'accidentally' summoned, which is now causing the problem at hand. Since most of the characters see this as an opportunity for their faith, rather than a "oh, someone is causing trouble, we better find out who it is" sort of situation, the competition for popularity that is Hopeless Masquerade begins the way that it does...

...well, that's my theory on it, anyway.
There is no greater joy than knowing that the Touhou invasion is unstoppable, and the legacy of Gensokyo will never fade away...

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #302 on: April 25, 2013, 08:43:30 PM »
My guess:

Given that the Extra Stage of TD was meant to be a little preview of what to come (Unless ZUN meant that for the Touhou 14 and not HM), and since Mamizou's profile says that she does not gets along with foxes, but that's a story for another day, I believe that the girl in the cover is an Inari (Fox Spirit or something I read).

I'm painfully, yet patientely waiting for the game's release.
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #303 on: April 25, 2013, 11:55:00 PM »
If I hear "It's Mima!" one more time, I'm going to throw my laptop out the window. It's not Mima, it hasn't been Mima for several games now, and I'm tired of people using this as a theory. There is no actual evidence to back it up. Besides, Mima couldn't be possibly related to this incident. Manipulating people's emotions isn't on her power list, last time I checked. I know people want Mima to come back, but it's getting a little ridiculous at this point.
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic...

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #304 on: April 26, 2013, 01:22:06 AM »
I am convinced it will be Mima, as I'm sure we all are. The question isn't "if" but "how" she will appear in the game. Will she:

1. Inexplicably pass across the screen without any dialogue during a randomly selected fight, never to be seen again.

2. Be an unlockable PC gained only by a CPU v. CPU draw.

3. The final boss, but turns out to be Wriggle in clothes made by Mystia (featuring her signature finishing move, "Stag Beetle Crotch Punch").

4. Appear as background art during credits. She is sitting alone at a table, eating soup while crying.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #305 on: April 26, 2013, 01:58:00 AM »
If Mima really were to show up then I'd think she'd be one of the spectators in a background like Rinnosuke, since that's the obvious way to bring back all those plot-unrelated characters.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #306 on: April 26, 2013, 02:01:17 AM »
2. Be an unlockable PC gained only by a CPU v. CPU draw.

Totally would use cheat engine for that instead. :P

Sweetness and love~ ♥

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #307 on: April 26, 2013, 03:00:42 AM »
Am I the only one who's still hoping Hatate will appear? I already know Mima won't. Besides, if Hatate's in there, Reimu's "No newspaper solicitors please!" amulet winpose would make a lot more sense. She also has an excuse to be in: she's making an article about the religion war and hopes to be more detailed and write a better article than Aya. Speaking of Aya, she has enough screentime; Hatate needs more character development, especially for not getting an article or entry in SoPM.
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

« Reply #308 on: April 26, 2013, 03:12:27 AM »
Well, this time around Reimu's amulet says "Religious solicitations rejected!" I guess she can change the text on her amulet to whatever she wants.

« Reply #309 on: April 26, 2013, 03:13:42 AM »
We can't be too sure it's Mima.
For all we know, it mght be Mima's sister, doppelganger, or a clone of Mima.

But if it were to be Mima, I would either:
-Consider her as a final boss
-Random rare spectator.
-Cameo appearance in Credits

But since, every game has a silhouette of someone who is included in the plot, whether the good girl or bad girl.
But I still think there is a chance of Mima coming back. I doubt the game would tell us where she went from Mystic Square to now.
Currently a normal player

« Reply #310 on: April 26, 2013, 03:33:15 AM »
I find it kind of funny that the fandom only cares about who's coming back while ZUN is always looking forward and thinking about new characters and new stories. Touhou has always been about an ever-expanding cast. It'd be awfully boring if we just stuck around with the SDM cast forever.

Formless God

« Reply #311 on: April 26, 2013, 03:48:02 AM »
Nostalgia is one hell of a drug.

TheTeff007

• Best Touhou 2015!
  • So much cuteness...!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #312 on: April 26, 2013, 04:41:44 AM »
I find it kind of funny that the fandom only cares about who's coming back while ZUN is always looking forward and thinking about new characters and new stories. Touhou has always been about an ever-expanding cast. It'd be awfully boring if we just stuck around with the SDM cast forever.

I wouldn't mind having Flandre in every single game ;)
Small Teaser of my upcoming project~

No need to call me Teff007. Teff will do just as well~

« Reply #313 on: April 26, 2013, 07:39:51 AM »

I wouldn't mind having Flandre in every single game ;)

Amusingly, Flandre is probably one of the least important characters in the entire series.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #314 on: April 26, 2013, 08:26:33 AM »
Just had a breakthrough regarding the game logos.

Yesterday, a Japanese fan on twitter discovered that the patterns in the new game logo come from Ise-katagami, paper stencils used in the dyeing of kimono textiles. (Actually, so does the pattern in the old logo.)

At that moment, he was speculating about whether the content of the pattern has something to do with the story: the pattern on the kashiwa leaf depicts the box and the turtle from the Urashima Taro legend, which for Touhou indicates Toyohime.

OTOH, for me and the Japanese blogger tateito1, seeing the name "Ise" immediately reminds one of the Ise Shrine, the main shrine of Amaterasu and the origin of the historical Eejanaika movement the HM backstory is based on.

But there's a 3rd angle: the purpose of Ise-katagami is to dye fabrics. So while we can't be sure whether the above two connections matter, those patterns are definitely related to HM's motif of "fabric". The two logos of HM are intended to represent either dyed textile or katagami in their concept.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #315 on: April 26, 2013, 09:16:41 AM »
Thanks for sharing all of this info with us cuc!

Would be interesting to see a tailor character on Touhou.  Would explain where everybody's frilly dresses come from eh? 

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #316 on: April 26, 2013, 12:18:31 PM »
I appreciate seeing new characters, but seeing old faces is what the fandom wants most of the time.  Look at what happened when Street Fighter 3 replaced most of the previous characters with brand new faces...

Tengukami

« Reply #317 on: April 26, 2013, 12:20:55 PM »
I appreciate seeing new characters, but seeing old faces is what the fandom wants most of the time.

[citation needed]

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Formless God

« Reply #318 on: April 26, 2013, 12:26:30 PM »
drunbk bost
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 04:49:54 PM by Formless Void »

« Reply #319 on: April 26, 2013, 12:35:32 PM »
Well, a VS game was what brought Yuuka back, if you want to really get technical. Although traditionally the final boss is still always a new character.

...with the exception of Mima, come to think about it.

Tengukami

« Reply #320 on: April 26, 2013, 12:48:51 PM »
I love new characters. Sure, I have my favorite old ones, but the girls ZUN dreams up for future games is one of the many things that makes me look forward to new releases. And when a new game comes out, the fandom is pretty quick to leap to cranking out the fanart, and even fan theories. Speaking for myself, there are a few characters I'd welcome seeing again, but mostly, I like seeing new cast members. Gensokyo needs more people!

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #321 on: April 26, 2013, 01:33:46 PM »
[citation needed]
Look at what happened when Street Fighter 3 replaced most of the previous characters with brand new faces...

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #322 on: April 26, 2013, 01:52:54 PM »
Because obviously something that applies to Street Fighter applies here, right?
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #323 on: April 26, 2013, 02:04:09 PM »
For what it's worth, my experiences in various Western Touhou communities have been that the populace generally wants older characters back more than they want new characters.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Zakari

• This loli contains Autism
  • Autistic Loli
« Reply #324 on: April 26, 2013, 02:05:30 PM »
The new character might be Bishamonten in girl form, Fox-Goddess, Fire Goddess or a Weirdo Youkai?

MaStErSpArK94

« Reply #325 on: April 26, 2013, 02:13:20 PM »
I love new characters. Sure, I have my favorite old ones, but the girls ZUN dreams up for future games is one of the many things that makes me look forward to new releases. And when a new game comes out, the fandom is pretty quick to leap to cranking out the fanart, and even fan theories. Speaking for myself, there are a few characters I'd welcome seeing again, but mostly, I like seeing new cast members. Gensokyo needs more people!

Exactly this.

I like new characters too because they expand the world of Gensokyo, making it more interesting.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #326 on: April 26, 2013, 02:33:18 PM »
If the shadow in the background is the same character as the burning mass out front, what a weird place to put the shadow.

As for old vs. new characters. I like a certain point of characterization that ZUN lacks for a number of his characters, and that is what I would like to see changed. I certainly want new characters, because the fandom just does so much work, but as someone who enjoys making fan theories it's a little difficult when the information you have to go off of is approaching 0. Unfortunately I am in the particularly awkward situation of really like background characters so even if ZUN did make more characterization I feel like my characters would be a low priority.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:41:58 PM by Imosa »

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #327 on: April 26, 2013, 03:09:18 PM »
Thanks for sharing all of this info with us cuc!

Would be interesting to see a tailor character on Touhou.  Would explain where everybody's frilly dresses come from eh?

I thought Alice and Kourin made everyone's dresses.

Zil

« Reply #328 on: April 26, 2013, 03:11:24 PM »
For what it's worth, my experiences in various Western Touhou communities have been that the populace generally wants older characters back more than they want new characters.

Really? What do you mean when you say people want old characters "back"? I mean, even for folks like Kaguya, Prismrivers, etc. who haven't made an in-game appearance in a long time, they haven't really gone anywhere. It's not like we could "get them back" somehow. They're still popular, all over fanworks and stuff.

From what I've seen (not that I'm very experienced with communities outside this one) people only seem to make that kind of complaint about PC-98 characters, and I think they still seem like a minority. It's probably more about wanting the characters to be more popular rather than actually wanting them to appear in a game, which is why you don't hear people screaming for someone like Rumia to return. She's popular despite not being in any new games, so nobody feels like she's vanished from the universe or whatever, while Mima, despite all the noise, is a relatively unpopular character. The complaining about Sakuya not being playable is probably more about a dislike of newer characters (Sanae in particular) than an actual love for Sakuya herself. And in any event you hear even less of that than you do the usual PC-98 complaining.

But in case, my point is that I'd find it very surprising if most people actually do want old characters to be recycled, rather than having new ones added. It's seems like a kind of bitter attitude to me, and I don't get the impression that the fandom is like that, at least in general. As I said, they're usually making a fuss about unpopular characters, and rabid fans of unpopular characters are almost by definition a minority.

-

Also, many thanks to cuc for all the interesting info.

Tengukami

« Reply #329 on: April 26, 2013, 03:22:33 PM »
Yeah, I do think there's a big signal-to-noise ratio when it comes to the fandom and New vs. Old characters. People who want their old favorites back are just going to be more vocal. Those who want new characters aren't going to have to push and shout for them; they're going to happen anyway. But those who want their old ones back have little chance of seeing it happen, and so through some kind of magical thinking, feel the need to shout repeatedly about getting them back. See, for example, how loud and often Mima fans appear, as opposed to how low she ranks among Touhou character polls.