Author Topic: Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade. Yay!  (Read 467082 times)

Hideki

• ~La, la, la~
  • Texas Chensaw Massacre
Re: Touhou 13.5 東方心綺楼 Hopeless Masquerade. Yay!
« Reply #180 on: January 11, 2013, 08:54:49 AM »
So how is Reimu's Last Word supposed to work?  I've tried a lot of things, to try to trigger the counter, but all she seems to do is pose, even as she's being hit.

Badass bookworms

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #181 on: January 11, 2013, 05:00:38 PM »
Pose, then get hit by a melee while still posing.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #182 on: January 11, 2013, 07:42:11 PM »
Anybody knows a good followup for Reimu's 8 Ascension Kick Followup? Been using it for a while and wanted to try and get a followup for it.

Also, here's a quick corner combo for people using Reimu: 2B 2Youkai Buster 2 8B 8Ascension Kick

Deals about 2600~2700 damage depending on how many amulets hit on youkai buster and stuns. Corner-only, but it's actually pretty fun to use :3

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #183 on: January 11, 2013, 09:40:14 PM »
Ascension Kick is her flash kick attack right? the 8 version being the one that follows with a down kick?

If so, then from what I found you can combo with it in the corner only, I've yet to extensively practice with it midscreen, but this video will show you how to follow it up (see second Reimu combo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi_ZIlEZHaU

Mr. Sacchi

« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2013, 10:16:21 PM »
Ascension Kick is her flash kick attack right? the 8 version being the one that follows with a down kick?

Yup and yup.

Thanks for the tip btw, still trying to get the hang of it, but it's been useful for when I land a random 8B midscreen, I've been more successful doing this midscreen than in the corner, but I do have an itchy "down" finger :V

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #185 on: January 11, 2013, 10:23:46 PM »
Yup and yup.

Thanks for the tip btw, still trying to get the hang of it, but it's been useful for when I land a random 8B midscreen, I've been more successful doing this midscreen than in the corner, but I do have an itchy "down" finger :V

I recommend using 8 D to follow up from 8B and go on with the first combo of the video if it's mid screen, mind you, it takes up A LOT of magic so if you run out just end it with a 6B instead of Youkai buster as shown in the video

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #186 on: January 12, 2013, 07:27:51 AM »
8D? I don't think I understand the notation here at all. What is D?
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #187 on: January 12, 2013, 08:49:13 AM »
8D? I don't think I understand the notation here at all. What is D?
woops I meant 8Y, i kept referring x and y as c and d respectively. Sorry x.x

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #188 on: January 12, 2013, 03:30:04 PM »
Oh, yeah cause I was seeing it as "maybe C is what was meant? So the specials? "

confusionmaiden
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

« Reply #189 on: January 12, 2013, 07:58:43 PM »
Regarding Reimu's Taoism:

Sure, it's true that Reimu uses Yin-Yang orbs. But that's hardly unique to her. Marisa's 8 Trigram reactor? Taoist. Sanae's Pentagrams? Taoist. Kanako and Suwako's "kun" and "qian"? Taoist. Patchouli elemental magic? Taoist. Yukari's onmyoudo? Taoist. It's all Taoist. But I don't really think it means that much. It just happens to be the case that Taoist concepts are so deeply ingrained in East Asian culture that it's difficult to talk about magic of any kind without invoking Taoism. It doesn't mean they subscribe to the belief systems of Taoism, just that Taoist magic is the pop-cultural image that ZUN and his audience would naturally come up with, especially when he's intentionally avoiding Western magic.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #190 on: January 12, 2013, 08:43:32 PM »
Everyone in Gensokyo is secretly a Sufi Muslim.

All the signs are there, people, they hardly need pointing out.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #191 on: January 13, 2013, 01:00:00 AM »
Sure, it's true that Reimu uses Yin-Yang orbs. But that's hardly unique to her. Marisa's 8 Trigram reactor? Taoist. Sanae's Pentagrams? Taoist. Kanako and Suwako's "kun" and "qian"? Taoist. Patchouli elemental magic? Taoist. Yukari's onmyoudo? Taoist. It's all Taoist.

The Yin-Yang orbs may be only Taoist in nature, even that I am unsure. But the 8 trigram reactor could be both Taoist and Buddhist in nature. The Hakkero which I believe exists in the story of Journey to the West is a Buddhist story after all.

On the subject of religion, I believe Reimu would have lots of Tao skills and some skills from the other religions. If Youmu is in, she would likely have mostly Buddhist skills and maybe a bit of the other skills. If Sanae is in, she may have mostly Shinto skills and some skills from the other religions. At least, this is my assumption. We'll see once the game comes out.

« Reply #192 on: January 13, 2013, 04:08:35 AM »
The Yin-Yang orbs may be only Taoist in nature, even that I am unsure. But the 8 trigram reactor could be both Taoist and Buddhist in nature. The Hakkero which I believe exists in the story of Journey to the West is a Buddhist story after all.

I'm not sure "only Taoist" is a meaningful distinction to make in the first place. The whole point is that all these symbols and beliefs have been influencing each other for centuries or more.

On the subject of religion, I believe Reimu would have lots of Tao skills and some skills from the other religions. If Youmu is in, she would likely have mostly Buddhist skills and maybe a bit of the other skills. If Sanae is in, she may have mostly Shinto skills and some skills from the other religions. At least, this is my assumption. We'll see once the game comes out.

If the demo's any indication, the character's affiliation has roughly nothing to do with the religion tagged to their skills. That could change I guess, but as long as it's a game mechanic and not a plot point I don't expect it to.

Mr. Sacchi

« Reply #193 on: January 13, 2013, 02:07:47 PM »
Aaaaand another quick Reimu combo that stuns and gives me 3k+ damage with no spellcards attached :V

(Need to be real close to the corner though)

DashB 6YoukaiBuster 8FlashKick 5AAA 6B

So far, I've had my share of troubles hitting an enemy after a 8FlashKick but I've never missed it in this particular combo, maybe its easier if the opponent is already stunned? :wat:

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #194 on: January 13, 2013, 07:41:41 PM »
Regarding Reimu's Taoism:

Sure, it's true that Reimu uses Yin-Yang orbs. But that's hardly unique to her. Marisa's 8 Trigram reactor? Taoist. Sanae's Pentagrams? Taoist. Kanako and Suwako's "kun" and "qian"? Taoist. Patchouli elemental magic? Taoist. Yukari's onmyoudo? Taoist. It's all Taoist. But I don't really think it means that much. It just happens to be the case that Taoist concepts are so deeply ingrained in East Asian culture that it's difficult to talk about magic of any kind without invoking Taoism. It doesn't mean they subscribe to the belief systems of Taoism, just that Taoist magic is the pop-cultural image that ZUN and his audience would naturally come up with, especially when he's intentionally avoiding Western magic.
It's like a Wiccan using crosses and holy water to repel a vampire. Not because it's Christian stuff, just because that's how you fight vampires.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:44:50 PM by Prime32 »

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #195 on: January 14, 2013, 01:22:00 AM »
>Sanae's pentagram
>Hakkero, the Furnace of Eight Trigrams, and The Journey to the West

All fine examples about how the further down history, the more things are mixed and indiscernible.

The onmyōdō pentagram is invented by Abe no Seimei, and represents the Five Elements, but at that point in history it was quite impossible to say whether onmyōdō (the Way of Yin-Yang) is Taoist or Shinto.

Similarly, in SoPM, Kanako brought up shugendō - a Japanese mountain ascetic practice or sect that's closely associated with the myths of tengu and ninja. It's Buddhism, Shintoism and Taoism at the same time.

The classical Chinese novel "The Journey to the West" is unique among its contemporaries in certain ways. Part of the author's agenda seems to be that Buddhism is superior to Taoism, yet the author must be an expert in Taoist alchemy, because the novel's chapter titles are laden with jargons that would fly over the head of everyone who's not an alchemist.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:16:17 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Tengukami

« Reply #196 on: January 14, 2013, 03:00:43 AM »
The pentagram itself being a great example of a symbol that overlaps many very different religions, "created" apart from each other and at different times. The collective unconscious is an amazing thing.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #197 on: January 14, 2013, 05:28:22 PM »
The pentagram itself being a great example of a symbol that overlaps many very different religions, "created" apart from each other and at different times. The collective unconscious is an amazing thing.
I think we can safely pin that one on geometry.

Tengukami

« Reply #198 on: January 14, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »
I think we can safely pin that one on geometry.

Uh, sorta meant the use of a pentagram as a religious symbol. Pedantically speaking, yes, geometry was used to create the pentagram. But why stop there? Might as well go all the way back to fundamental mathematics, the evolution of the forebrain, and the creation of the primate species.

« Reply #199 on: January 14, 2013, 09:09:13 PM »

« Reply #200 on: January 15, 2013, 03:33:25 AM »
Played the demo, Ichirin so fun p_p.

Game needs less demo needs more Finished >:I

« Reply #201 on: January 15, 2013, 10:14:58 AM »
If the demo's any indication, the character's affiliation has roughly nothing to do with the religion tagged to their skills. That could change I guess, but as long as it's a game mechanic and not a plot point I don't expect it to.

Weather in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody was also a game mechanic.

« Reply #202 on: January 15, 2013, 04:14:58 PM »
Weather in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody was also a game mechanic.

And weather was related to the plot but as a gameplay mechanic had nothing to do with the characters. I think that's a perfectly good example of the separation I'm talking about.

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #203 on: January 15, 2013, 05:23:06 PM »
It had some shallow relations to the characters but otherwise served as little more than a shake of the box to make the game more 'interesting'.
Sugoiiii~

« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2013, 07:25:19 AM »
The point is that it has a relation to the characters. The little bit you get from it is what their personalities are like, because of what weather they have. How is this different from what side they are?

This is different from what faction they would be in. This is just what they believe. Kind of like Futo being in the Taoist faction, but I would guess she is more likely Shinto.

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2013, 08:07:55 AM »
But it isn't like, for example, using Iku makes Typhoon occur 25% of the time.
The characters do have a connection to a certain weather, but from a gameplay viewpoint, it doesn't matter what your character's weather is.

It is my personal opinion that everyone should get a equal amount of cards for the 3 factions, regardless of the origin of the skills or the actual faction of the characters.
Signature

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2013, 09:05:23 AM »
But it isn't like, for example, using Iku makes Typhoon occur 25% of the time.

as if dealing with Iku wasn't obnoxious enough...
Sugoiiii~

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2013, 06:31:13 PM »
The point is that it has a relation to the characters. The little bit you get from it is what their personalities are like, because of what weather they have. How is this different from what side they are?

This is different from what faction they would be in. This is just what they believe. Kind of like Futo being in the Taoist faction, but I would guess she is more likely Shinto.

Difference is that weather only affected them in story, but that's it. In actual multiplayer weather is always random and never gives one character a higher probability of one certain weather than another. And I feel the religion meter thing is the same, it doesn't affect anything other than a fun fact based on the attacks you have mapped.

Only time the religions may matter is in story, but the meter shown when building your decks won't affect the story at all.

though I THINK there is a weather card you can use in your decks in Soku/SWR, but no one ever uses them though lol
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 06:35:18 PM by Gpop »

Amraphenson

• ...well, I am too!
« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
stuff

some girls had bad enough melee that they had to run weather cards just to get rid of Typhoon. just in case.
Sugoiiii~

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #209 on: January 17, 2013, 01:08:18 AM »
Marisa's idle pose is the best thing.

Reimu and Ichirin are all in perpetual ready mode with both dukes up.

Marisa? Marisa just rocks back and forth.

On her broom.

All match.

Giving. Zero. Fucks.