Author Topic: [Translation] Nikenme Radio 3D event, and the birth of EoSD  (Read 37929 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
[Translation] Nikenme Radio 3D event, and the birth of EoSD
« on: December 15, 2012, 01:18:20 PM »
This first post has been rewritten because the translation is now in place:
During the Nikenme Radio 3D event last month (2012 Nov), ZUN revealed some extremely interesting info about the part of his life that's related to Touhou. The event was also broadcast live on UStream.

Currently the UStream recordings of the event have been set to "private". However, Touhou fans who have attended or watched the event have written some summaries. In a post below I have translated the most important part.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:48:23 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

cuc

Re: [Request] Nikenme Radio 3D
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 12:19:01 PM »
I've found where the summary comes from. Moderator, please merge this thread into the translation request thread if that's more appropriate. :) Now all we need is someone to translate.

Of course, it'll be great if we can also get the videos.

They are from Touhou Gensou-ban, one of the important forums for Touhou discussion in Japan, and its associated board Gensou-ban no Sukima (Gap of the Fantasy Board). The blogger Tateito1 collected those posts here.

I have actually subscribed to Tateito1's RSS feed, but haven't read it in some time.

The sources are:
http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/bbs/read.cgi/computer/42510/1325069345/
http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/computer/41116/storage/1349090174.html
http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/bbs/read.cgi/computer/41116/1352107752/
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 12:25:24 PM by cuc »

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 09:24:35 PM »
The recording was made private :(. (http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/27387611)

An older episode is on niconico though... (episode 7)
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm13634247

And... a short japanese transcript (excerpt?) of ZUN from the (episode 19)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 07:15:15 PM »
Unlocked and bumped because cuc said to me via PM that a translation would be up shortly.

cuc

Translation
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 07:58:25 AM »
Background info:
Nikenme kara Hajimaru Radio, meaning "Radio from the Second House", Nikenme Radio for short, is a monthly UStream live broadcast where ZUN chats with Tetsuro Okonogi, his editor at Ichijinsha (publisher of the majority of official Touhou books), and usually some other guests, over dinner in the titular second pub on the street. The topic is not restricted to Touhou, but naturally Touhou may be brought up from time to time.

In November 3, 2012, a special event called "Nikenme Radio 3D ~ Dangerous Deisui Dimension." (deisui: "drunk like mud") was held in Loft Plus One, Shinjuku, and fans could buy tickets to attend.

The event sounds suitably lively. Several other internet personalities were guests, especially three members of PoriPori Club: Yuuichi Tanzawa (ZUN's younger co-worker at Taito, now a game designer at Square Enix), Yoshiro Kimura (game designer, creator of games such as Little King's Story) and Tatsuki Yoshinaga (blogger); quite a few Touhou doujin creators were present, as well as Aya Azuma (artist of WaHH); coasters signed by Aya Azuma can be won in rock, paper, scissors games (pic: 1, 2).

Most importantly, ZUN talked a bit more about himself during this event.

The summary:
* When he was in college, he played a fun eroge called Toushin Toshi.
(Toushin Toshi is a dungeon crawler from Alice Soft, an old erotic game company known for making games that have actually worthwhile gameplay. ZUN also swiped the PoDD Marisa attack portrait from Rance IV, another Alice Soft game.)

* When Taito was looking for shooting game projects, he pitched a game design called "Gensokyo Kitan". Afterwards, Taito suddenly said they wouldn't be making shooting games anymore, so the pitch was unused.
("Gensokyo Kitan" is most likely 幻想郷奇譚, "Strange Tales from Land of Fantasy". It's obvious that ZUN entered Taito, the company of Space Invaders, KiKi KaiKai and Darius with the hope of working on his favorite franchises, yet Taito would give up on shooting games when he was there, and ironically, revive the Darius franchise after ZUN left. )

* When he was working on Magic Pengel (ラクガキ王国 in Japan), the situation was very tough, and he accumulated a lot of stress. To release the stress and anger, he made EoSD.

* The game system of EoSD is the same design he had pitched. The people at Taito all knew that. They said to him, "do your job properly." He said, "I am doing my job." There weren't any actual big tasks to do, and they didn't even have to work overtime.

* He was assigned to be the main programmer on the first game Yuuichi Tanzawa was to direct. He said he would quit the job after finishing the game. However, this project was cancelled, and on the same day they started a new project, and he would be the main programmer on both the DS and PSP versions. This was impossible, so he resigned.

* Just before he resigned, he was still thinking about the design of a haunted house arcade game. That was in 2007.

* The way he worked was like this. When a project was at its beginning, he always went home on time. He dislikes seeing everyone tarrying at workplace, and would invite them to finish their work and go drinking with him. When the project reached its end, he would make up by working like mad.
(In Japan, people often stay at their workplace past the work hours, and don't want to be seen as the first person to leave, even if they are not actually getting anything done.)

* Eventually people began to throw all kinds of tasks at him, until in the end, giving him the impossible task of simultaneously doing the main programming on two systems.

Other tidbits:
* The first date between ZUN and his wife took place in a pub. "Don't take this as advice!"
* When other guests were making gay jokes, ZUN got very serious, and said "gay jokes are disrespectful to real gay people".
* The period after Lord of Vermilion got the Reimu and Yuyuko update was its highest earning period in 5 years.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 02:28:55 AM by cuc »

cuc

Re: [Translation] Nikenme Radio 3D event, and the birth of EoSD
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 02:21:22 PM »
Someone had asked me for a little more context, so I wrote:

ZUN made the PC-98 games in college. They were essentially his college club activity. According to this , he also wanted to end the series and quit the doujin world with Touhou 4 LLS, until he got the first inspiration for Touhou 5 MS on the train back home. Prior to EoSD, he probably thought he would at most write a few songs (like he did with Seihou Project), and never make another doujin game again.

Knowing he quit in 2007 also answered a question I had: how could he possibly do so many things around 2007-2008 if he still had a day job? It turns out he may not have one during the period.

EDIT:
From  2007 to 2008, ZUN did:

Finishing MoF;
Finishing SWR;
Making SA;
Keep writing SaBND and CoLA;
In addition to that, started the Bougetsushou project, writing SSiB and CiLR.

Without Bougetsushou, the workload of other projects is not too different from what he had been doing in his spare time up to that point, but adding Bougetsushou to it would be madness. I think he either signed up on the Bougetsushou project knowing he would quit (except it came sooner than expected), or was already out of his job at the time.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:06:51 AM by cuc »

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 09:22:23 PM »
EDIT:
From  2007 to 2008, ZUN did:

Finishing MoF;
Finishing SWR;
Making SA;
Keep writing SaBND and CoLA;
In addition to that, started the Bougetsushou project, writing SSiB and CiLR.

Gotta go fast :V
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 09:14:26 AM »
That's pretty interesting stuff to know about.

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 08:11:16 AM »
And I thought all hope was lost... Hooray! Thanks for your translations.

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 12:08:40 PM »
Is there any chance of adding this info to the wiki? Just asking for permission.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 05:59:34 PM by False Swipe »

cuc

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 10:59:00 AM »
Of course this can be used by the wiki. Will you reproduce it, or just add links and references to this post (like with Gensokyo.org's 2007 lecture summary)? If you reproduce it, I guess it must be edited for tone and style, since I didn't write it with the wiki in mind...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 01:54:07 PM by cuc »