Author Topic: Touhou Project games for NEC PC-98 - Complete English Patch Pack [03/08/2014]  (Read 106876 times)

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
Re: PC-98 Touhou English patches (are in active development)
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2014, 07:08:06 AM »
It's been a long time coming. I can't actually believe these will finally have an English patch. So much hype, I can't wait.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Alcoraiden

• Do not go gentle into that good night
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 05:30:33 PM »
Oh frabjous day!

Except it's next-next week now ;) Where will these be released, when they are?

Araceli Caralyz

• A mus~! oxo
  • Touhou Fan, US Army NG Veteran & NICET Certified,
    • What I am up to~
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2014, 06:20:07 AM »
Just waiting on xJeePx to finish proof-reading~

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 11:22:21 AM »
Just waiting on xJeePx to finish proof-reading~

Soon? .

(Stolen from the KSP forums)
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

xJeePx

• Danmaku Aesthete
  • 夢幻王子
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2014, 08:47:25 AM »
Sorry for the wait, everyone. Bug fixing is a long and boring process.  :flamingv:

But now we're done! The Complete English Patch Pack for the PC-98 generation of Touhou games is finally finished! Download links are in the first post.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Indeed, you are awesome. Looking forward to trying this out!

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
Whoo, can't wait to try these out when I have some time!

Spoiler:
I really still need to revise that guide. Eventually...
TF2 Backpack

Soul Devour

• A Casual Touhou Fan
  • Drifting along, one day at a time
Thank you so much for all this. It's been a long time coming and I for one am really grateful for all the work you guys have done.

As friggin' amazing as this is, anything that isn't gameplay becomes a staticy mess that sometimes freezes for no reason. Is there a known cause? This happens only with the patching in MS and LLS in both Anex86 and Neko Project.
Normal 1cc's: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard 1cc's: EoSD, PCB, IN
Extra Clears: EoSD, PCB + Phantasm, IN, MoF, TD, DDC
Phantasmagoria Trues Clears: Standard Regular
Goals: Phantasmagoria Trues Unseen Standard 1cc, MoF XNM, MoF XNF

As friggin' amazing as this is, anything that isn't gameplay becomes a staticy mess that sometimes freezes for no reason. Is there a known cause? This happens only with the patching in MS and LLS in both Anex86 and Neko Project.

Something kind of similar is happening to me. HRtP and SoEW work perfectly, but the other three... PoDD is a black screen with a title theme, LLS crashes the emulator, and MS freezes when I get to the title screen. I know for a fact that the unpatched games work, since I play the hell out of MS as much as I can. I followed the installation instructions as accurately as I could, tried multiple emulators, and redownloaded the games multiple times. Nothing is working. If system info is needed, I'm running Windows 8 in Japanese locale, and I've tried using Neko Project 2 fmgen and T98-Next.

EDIT: Got PoDD and LLS working. Still having some issues with Mystic Square, however. I've managed to figure out that Main.exe and Maine.exe are the files that are freezing the game, as it's only when I throw either or both of them in that the lock-up occurs. Anybody know what to do? ???
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 04:13:01 PM by YagamiLight7 »

I had the same problem with LLS and MS for Anex, Neko, AND T98Next. All I did was re-patch the two and it completely fixed the static problem. Hope it works for you.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I did not re-patch the original hdi. I redid/reapplied the patch on the ones with static.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 10:51:38 AM by Mikuri »

I had the same problem with LLS and MS for Anex, Neko, AND T98Next. All I did was re-patch the two and it completely fixed the static problem. Hope it works for you.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I did not re-patch the original hdi. I redid/reapplied the patch on the ones with static.

Thanks for the help! The games work fine now.
Normal 1cc's: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard 1cc's: EoSD, PCB, IN
Extra Clears: EoSD, PCB + Phantasm, IN, MoF, TD, DDC
Phantasmagoria Trues Clears: Standard Regular
Goals: Phantasmagoria Trues Unseen Standard 1cc, MoF XNM, MoF XNF

Gamer251

• DJ FlanFlan
  • Too lazy to type long sentences.
Shouldn't be "Alice Margatroid" be Alice?  ???
I mean Alice was know as just Alice in the PC-98 Games.
Margatroid was introduced in PCB...

"You ought to watch out, yourself. Even a high-school girl can make her own weapons these days, after all..."

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
Horyshet i love you
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

Gamer251

• DJ FlanFlan
  • Too lazy to type long sentences.
Also, can you change the font used in T98-Next?
It displays "W" as "<"

"You ought to watch out, yourself. Even a high-school girl can make her own weapons these days, after all..."

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
That's been a problem with T-98 Next even before the English patches. I don't think there's a solution, or if there is, I don't know it.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Indeed, it was a problem when testing on Anex 86 as well. It's unfortunate, but once you get used to it it won't slow you down at all. That's the magic of mental substitution! /o/
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
I also had to double patch LLS and MS. (and HRtP multiple times because for some reason, EditDisk didn't like me editing that one)

I use the T98-Next font.rom for the font file in NP2 simply because it's easier to read than the provided font files. There's no difference between "h" and "m" in those bmp files and the font overall looks a little messy. I haven't noticed any problems with the English patches with that rom file either so far.

I did notice something odd. While reading through the text in PoDD with Reimu during the dialogue parts, certain parts scroll the text very slowly. It's not a big deal but it appears that only segments are supposed to do that, after watching a Youtube video to confirm. On the patched version, it seems to stick for quite a few lines of dialogue. Looks like whatever trigger that sets the text speed is being skipped. Again, not that big of a deal, just a minor annoyance.

EDIT: Found a problem. Was playing LLS on hard with homing Reimu (NP2 if that makes any difference). After failing stage 6, after the fade out, I got a STOP error.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:09:10 AM by Agent of the BSoD »
TF2 Backpack

This is the best day ever :,D
But, I Have some questions.
1.- How did you edit the .GRP files from HRtP?
2.- How did you Edit the Text from the Images?
 :)

MaronaPossessed

• I am free to dream of my own dream
  • and so I shall dream
Sorry to necro this thread, but I have a problem.

I tried to patch LLS and play it on Neko Project 2. It plays flawlessly, but it won't display the endings at all. It just stops the emulator with the red text and japanese characters and STOP.

Goomba98

• Touhou ga daisuki!
The games are quite laggy on Neko Project 2 during the bullet-intensive portions, any way to fix that?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:31:04 PM by Goomba98 »

xJeePx

• Danmaku Aesthete
  • 夢幻王子
Sorry for the late reply, guys. A lot has been happening IRL, and I wanted to take a nice break after all the work.

Shouldn't be "Alice Margatroid" be Alice?  ???
I mean Alice was know as just Alice in the PC-98 Games.
Margatroid was introduced in PCB...

Well, just "Alice" would be more accurate to the original. However, as you might have noticed, I used the character introduction system similar to Windows games (character title / character name) for a variety of reasons, and since Alice's last name is already established, I just thought "Why not?"; it's the same character, after all.

Also, can you change the font used in T98-Next?
It displays "W" as "<"
That's been a problem with T-98 Next even before the English patches. I don't think there's a solution, or if there is, I don't know it.
Indeed, it was a problem when testing on Anex 86 as well.
This can be fixed. ;)
Since quite a lot of people wanted Anex86 and T-98 Next versions that fix the Ws and Vs glitch, I'll include those in the next version of the pack I'm working on.

I use the T98-Next font.rom for the font file in NP2 simply because it's easier to read than the provided font files. There's no difference between "h" and "m" in those bmp files and the font overall looks a little messy. I haven't noticed any problems with the English patches with that rom file either so far.
T-98 Next FONT.ROM is essentially Anex86 .BMP font file (which is included in the archive). And yes, it's easier to read than the default Neko Project font. :)
I've included them both to have some alternatives to choose from, but maybe it wasn't necessary? I should update the instructions a bit regarding this.

I did notice something odd. While reading through the text in PoDD with Reimu during the dialogue parts, certain parts scroll the text very slowly. It's not a big deal but it appears that only segments are supposed to do that, after watching a Youtube video to confirm. On the patched version, it seems to stick for quite a few lines of dialogue. Looks like whatever trigger that sets the text speed is being skipped. Again, not that big of a deal, just a minor annoyance.
I didn't change the text code much. Will look into it.

Found a problem. Was playing LLS on hard with homing Reimu (NP2 if that makes any difference). After failing stage 6, after the fade out, I got a STOP error.
Sorry to necro this thread, but I have a problem.

I tried to patch LLS and play it on Neko Project 2. It plays flawlessly, but it won't display the endings at all. It just stops the emulator with the red text and japanese characters and STOP.
Ah, yes, I think we've encountered this problem before. Make sure that the CPU settings are set to 2.4576MHz x 32 (78.6432 MHz) in the Configure option. If it doesn't help, try re-installing the patch.

1.- How did you edit the .GRP files from HRtP?
2.- How did you Edit the Text from the Images?
Most of the images with text can be found in the .PI files. HRtP .GRP files are essentially .PI files, just like the ones found in other games. To edit those, follow these steps:

1) Open a GRP file with a hex editor;
2) Open a PI file from any other Touhou game with a hex editor;
3) Change the first 12 values of the GRP file (ZN  PC98 / 5A4E1A000000000450433938) to those of the PI file (Pi  WIN* / 50691A000000000457494E2A), save;
4) Change the file extension from GRP to PI;
5) Now you can convert the PI file to PNG format with ViX, and edit it with any image editor (I used a combination of Photoshop for text editing, and Windows XP version of Paint for editing and saving);
6) After editing, convert the PNG file back to PI, open the converted PI file with a hex editor and change the values at offset 0x5 from 0101 to 0000;
7) Additionally for HRtP files, change back the first 12 hex values from step 3 (ZN PC98), and change the file extension back to GRP;
8) Replace the GRP file with EditDisk and run the game to try it out.

The games are quite laggy on Neko Project 2 during the bullet-intensive portions, any way to fix that?

Everything runs smooth for me. Make sure that your emulator settings are set according to the instructions.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 08:20:40 AM by xJeePx »

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
IIRC PC-98 Alice and Windows Alice being one and the same hasn't actually been fully confirmed yet.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
IIRC PC-98 Alice and Windows Alice being one and the same hasn't actually been fully confirmed yet.

It's pretty likely PC-98 Alice and Windows Alice are one and the same, given how Alice reacts to meeting Reimu in Perfect Cherry Blossom:

Alice: Long time no see.

Reimu: We've only just met.

Alice: No, that's not what I meant.

Reimu: Am I supposed to remember?[8]

Alice: Don't you remember me? Well, either way is fine though.

While you could potentially argue PC-98 Reimu and Windows Reimu aren't the same person, this exchange makes it a pretty safe bet that Alice is the same one fought in Mystic Square.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
That operates under the assumption that the PC-98 games are canon to the Windows games, which according to ZUN isn't the case.
EDIT: Wait, never mind, missed something there. Holy hell, I'm a derp. :V
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:30:02 AM by Leonard-Helsing »

MaronaPossessed

• I am free to dream of my own dream
  • and so I shall dream
Alright I did what you said. I found a copy of the game somewhere on the internet. Now I don't know if it's the copy or the patch. When I patched it before using the exact instructions, and when I start it, it starts up showing as it is corrupted. I patched each individual file and ran it each time to see what was corrupted. I managed to run it again, but I still get a stop error at the screen.

EDIT: SOLVED! Here's what I did:

The copy has to be clean, meaning no scores, previous plays, or settings on it.
What I had to do in my case was I had to overwrite a file, then close the editdisk. Then I had to open it again and overwrite a file, repeat...

Hopefully this helps some people. Thank you again for the help Jeep^^
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 03:03:33 AM by MaronaPossessed »

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
Yeah, I remember having to do that for some of the games, having to repeat the file patching over and over until they decided to work.

I'm curious though, where did you find a clean copy of the games, or is there a nice way to do it like with Windows games via deleting score.dat? I've never figured this one out nor found a clean copy.
TF2 Backpack

xJeePx

• Danmaku Aesthete
  • 夢幻王子
You can reset your game settings and hi-scores by deleting these files from your HDIs with EditDisk:

HRtP - REIIDEN.CFG, REYHINO.DAT
SoEW - HUUHI.DAT, HUUMA.CFG
PoDD - YUME.CFG, YUME.NEM
LLS  - GENSOU.SCR, MIKO.CFG
MS   - GENSOU.SCR, MIKO.CFG
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 06:07:13 AM by xJeePx »

I want to translate touhou pc98 ver korean
But, i can't find the text
can you help me?

I want to know how to find the text.