Author Topic: Tales of Phantasmal Land Redux (NOW RECRUITING PLAYERS FOR INCIDENT!)  (Read 212020 times)

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
Re: Tales of Phantasmal Land Redux (WIP D&D-style RPG)
« Reply #930 on: February 11, 2013, 05:03:24 AM »
Now then, some other questions...:

A) What element would lightning be?

B) How many Fandom Points do you think Mjolnir would cost?

C) What's a good time to Skype later this week so I can make sure I know what the Hell I'm doing?

1) Lightning would be Lightning. It's a legit element. It's mostly effective against water, but weak against earth.

2) With our conversation, about 9 FP.

3) I'll be on more often, so probably any nights.

« Reply #931 on: February 11, 2013, 07:26:27 AM »
Oh, that reminds me. Here is that online tabletop program I mentioned in my first post. You can download it for free and play around with it. It's pretty barebones, but it allows for some graphical representation of what's going on, and it does have an in-game chat and customizable dice rolling scripts.

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #932 on: February 15, 2013, 04:44:28 AM »
Okay, I should be free tomorrow. So I think we can start the group side story tomorrow. Those who aren't ready can tell me and I'll arrange so that they can still play later (I'll think of someway to add them in~) if you happen to miss it. The second incident should be available soon as well, probably after the side story is complete.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #933 on: February 15, 2013, 04:49:01 AM »
Which time tomorrow? (Not that I'm doing anything anyway. :V )

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #934 on: February 15, 2013, 04:59:04 AM »
Probably from 4:30p.m. to 3:00a.m. will be the time (in my time zone) when the session will take place if nothing comes up suddenly. It is about 9:00p.m. as I write this, so you guys can figure out the time for yourselves by doing the math.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #935 on: February 15, 2013, 05:03:16 AM »
Alright. (Although I think 3:30 AM might be a bit late for me.)

May or may not show up.

« Reply #936 on: February 15, 2013, 05:16:24 AM »
So I've been thinking up a character, and it's a beast youkai. A lion, specifically. But I can't for the life of me think of any special "Animalistic Ability" that she should have. Would anyone like to help me figure something out?

Edit: Many thanks to Genso for this:

Keen Pride
Allows the character to redo a single roll if the dice result is less than a -3. (Or another incredibly low number)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 06:34:05 AM by Sulac »

« Reply #937 on: February 15, 2013, 03:21:59 PM »
What will we be using for this skype or will we be using the chatzy thing?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:08:14 AM by sol35 »

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #938 on: February 16, 2013, 12:26:57 AM »
We shall use chatzy. Although we usually have skype on too sometimes to ask questions and such. I will make a room soon. Just hold on a moment.

EDIT: http://www.chatzy.com/64230146519256

Those who still want to join/missed the first session can still do so as long as you guys make it to the next session. I will probably be busy this week, so I will try to find a date when I'm free and tell you guys.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:31:33 AM by Genso »

« Reply #939 on: February 17, 2013, 03:16:56 AM »
well i finished a new character her name is nagisa shirasawa or 白沢渚. she is a shellfish youkai. the character sheet will be attached to this post.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #940 on: February 18, 2013, 12:24:17 AM »
Sent my message too late. Damn it.

ANYWAY.

Keen Pride
Allows the character to redo a single roll if the dice result is less than a -3. (Or another incredibly low number)

I'd say -4, since we're talking about a whole dice re-roll.

Secondly, I'll start posting actual informative things here. Remember the big whole sections I did before? More to come. Involving Ex-Modes, fixing the older stuff (spellcards for example), editing the older ones, changing some very important rules, and the new traits, much similar to the original pdf's.

The Hating Hater

• What's the deal?
  • YO~!
« Reply #941 on: February 18, 2013, 03:31:48 AM »
So how about them Merodi things you said to PM me :P

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #942 on: February 19, 2013, 03:07:23 AM »
So how about them Merodi things you said to PM me :P

I thought maybe Genso answered you, but I guessed wrong... As much as I owe you, you may want to read the rest of that post.

And now an important announcement. As I've tried to re-work things, I realized that the version I ended up making is far from perfect, and still quite a distance away from great.

I'm really proud (although it probably isn't that justified) of what I did with Tales of Phantasmal Land, but I can't stand an unfinished project, and I can't change things as there is too many players currently finished with their characters. The solution to this is more than obvious.

I thus hereby give up my GM duties for now, and intend on re-working on the project, and making that darned pdf I spoke of a long while ago. Genso's version of the game is pretty successful and does a nice job at making plot-twists and such. It's not my thing, but I'm glad that it works out for people. I've been saying a lot lately that I shouldn't GM much, because to be frank, I'm not good at it, but that doesn't make me improve. I'm just gonna re-work on it and turn this rough beta game into a better project, all while trying to learn more about GMing.

I got to see the problems in what I thought was close to finished, and I'm thankful that Genso made his own game with it so that the current players can keep playing, and that other people can also apply for it. I'm not sure I'll make a thread about it, but I'm certain that hosting games isn't my role anymore and I gladly resign my place.

Finally, I'm taking a break from roleplaying or failing to participate in Genso's version, (I seriously am horrible on this point) and I'm going to be re-working what I've done as well as what Tales of Phantasmal Land did. My true goal isn't really to spread it around MoTK, and I don't think I'll be making a thread about it. What I'd like is getting a few people to work with, as partners, instead of throwing out my ideas on a forum and screwing up.

Thanks to everyone who participated, and to those I didn't manage to help to make them do so. Also, special thanks to you Al; Without you, none of this would have happened.

Special note about Merodi; You can go with Genso's version and finish your character's details to join his game, as I won't be doing much of that right now. I owe you, though, so I'll keep ya a number one place if my project ever works out.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:09:37 AM by Ikari »

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #943 on: February 19, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »
Double post because I dropped Da Bomb a bit too roughly and quickly.

I'll make a few things clear;

- The side-stories are still going to be on while I work on the guidebook and take a break. I'd be crazy to ban the whole thing!

- This is nowhere near a permanent "Whelp, this was fun, kthxbai" thing! I'm just switching from making this game as playable as possible for now and fixing things along the way, to actually making a clear, established rulebook. I was going insane with all the questions and flaws I saw in the project, and I need to think them out instead of giving stupid solutions to fix it as quick as possible.

- I'll be GMing one day. And I'll be better at it, damn it~!

Send me PMs if you really want answers about things that are unclear, because I don't want anyone thinking this is a Game Over to that project. I'm merely using a continue and restarting the stage!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #944 on: February 20, 2013, 01:40:57 AM »
Aww, glad I could help Ikari! (Sorry I didn't directly participate more myself but life happens. :V)

Lemme know if you want any other help on it from me!

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #945 on: February 22, 2013, 01:05:08 AM »
The next session will most likely be tomorrow, 2/22/13. So those who still want to join should come tomorrow.

Yugian

• Humble Blacksmith
  • If the soul preserves, Then Limits dont Exist.
« Reply #946 on: February 27, 2013, 03:19:12 AM »
Right, So whos simply 'here and waiting'? just doing a roll call here.

« Reply #947 on: February 27, 2013, 02:30:10 PM »
I am just waiting for this to be over so that i can see if i can get people to join a game gm'd by me

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #948 on: March 21, 2013, 02:51:21 AM »
Soooo who is where on what with this at the moment?

I want to join a game if I can but I have no clue what everyone's doing relative to this thread now.

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #949 on: March 21, 2013, 03:04:04 AM »
Wow, it's been quite a while since the last post. We talk a lot more on skype now instead of here, but I guess it would be good to post her occasionally. Anyway, contact one of our skypes and we'll talk about it since Ikari seems to disappear from the face of the earth occasionally. The next one will definitely happen during early April if not earlier than that.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #950 on: March 21, 2013, 03:07:22 AM »
Can a person suddenly drop in the game? I'd really like to play.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #951 on: March 21, 2013, 03:46:52 AM »
Hmm, perhaps. I added my skype info to my profile, so just contact me and I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: It's better to contact Ikari for stuff so yeah, just contact him. As for what I meant for "I'll see what I can do." I meant that I will try to speed things up so the players can play the next incident already.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 11:10:47 PM by Genso »

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #952 on: March 21, 2013, 12:57:23 PM »
Unyeh, I'm more and more present compared to before.  :P

But yeah, we're not a secret sealed club or whatever, anyone can drop by anytime.

« Reply #953 on: March 22, 2013, 01:02:59 AM »
It's true

provided they survive the initiation!
all jokes aside drop in we don't bite

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #954 on: March 28, 2013, 06:02:05 PM »
*Dynamics entry into the thread*

Actual update! The entire stat, spell and battle system are being heavily revamped right now. I'm still working out the details with my trusty acolyte, Alliterator, and we're hoping to bring a whole new, much better battle system.

Things that doesn't work and will be removed;

- Dodge and Aim stats are stupidly exploitable.
- Having two stats (Will and Finesse) tied to Aim and Dodge makes them absolutely necessary, preventing GOOD character builds.
- Battles are more or less repetitive.
- Will is a ridiculously useless stat.
- 4 stats out of 6 aren't used concretely in battle.
- Graze roll is the bane of everything ever.

So, for now nothing much can be done, buyt once we're done making it all functional and all, we'll introduce it publicly.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 06:08:44 PM by Ikari »

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #955 on: March 28, 2013, 07:30:23 PM »
Also, coming soon in the realm of whole-cloth additions to the game, Formations! A.k.a. a way to properly replicate the Prismriver/Mischievious Fairies/Toyo no Miko fights, and more importantly a way to make group fights actually interesting instead of a nightmarishly tedious dice slog.

« Reply #956 on: March 29, 2013, 12:55:45 AM »

- Will is a ridiculously useless stat.

did you meen Resolution?

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #957 on: March 30, 2013, 06:43:07 PM »
did you meen Resolution?

No, I meant Will.

Resolution protects against wounds and statuses, (and while it's use is limited), it's nowhere near as useless as Will- Out of battle, that is.

I dare anyone to find me three uses *out of combat* for Will.

Hint: You'll fail.

« Reply #958 on: April 01, 2013, 05:29:45 AM »
alright introducing a new skill tree

Medical Skills witch where missing in the original tales of Phantasmal land now have there own tree it goes a little something like this

Medical-Pharmacology: Lv0
Medical-Physiology: Lv0
Medical-Psychology: Lv0

Pharmacology: making medicines of all kinds, knowing witch ones to prescribe and how to identify them

Physiology: first aid, setting broken bones, closing wounds, doing surgeries and diagnosing physical problems

Psychology: counselling, diagnosing mentel health issues and providing therapy
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:31:26 AM by FoxTide »

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #959 on: April 01, 2013, 06:39:27 PM »
what about dentistry :V