Author Topic: Operation: TOU-HO-HO is a go! (Holiday Donation Drive 2012)  (Read 33722 times)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Operation: TOU-HO-HO is a go! (Holiday Donation Drive 2012)
« on: December 02, 2012, 11:59:32 PM »
A mysterious envelope appeared in my mailbox this weekend, marked "For Your Eyes Only".  Inside the following document was inside:

"[INTRCPT BGN]
[FLD STN UVB-76, LOC:
Spoiler:
redacted
  BRNG:
Spoiler:
redacted
  SGN XMIT RTG: STRONG]
[ANALYST: TOLAND]
[AUTH JKV-221]

November
Spoiler:
XX
, 2012

SPEAKER: All right, come on in, have a seat.  Coffee?  Tea?  Of course, help yourself.  Just because it?s a bunker doesn?t mean we don?t have the basic amenities.  Hope you don?t mind if the danishes came out of an MRE.  It?s a bit of a pinch around here. 

Hm?  Oh yeah, sorry, here.  It?s the powdered stuff but again, pinch.  There?s austerity and then there?s the War on Christmas, the Chanukah Contingent, the Kwanzaa-to-surface missile batteries posted along the coast, Yule raids, and don?t get me started about the New Year?s Ops.  We?re stretched thin across all fronts.  That?s why we sent for you. 

Sit down.  No, listen, at ease, sit down.  I know this turned pretty official pretty fast, but we aren?t exactly Santa?s Strikers over here.  This operation, first and foremost, is classified RED-WHITE, and there?s only a few people out there who can even qualify to that.  Congratulations, you?re now on the distribution list for RED-WHITE.  I can only go into the details if you?re willing to volunteer sight unseen and you read and sign this -

Listen, you really should at least read over it.  I?m no lawyer but we can call one from JAG if you -

Okay, don?t say I didn?t warn you. 

Operation: TOU-HO-HO was last put into effect in December 2009, just as the crisis against jolly and holly came to a head and things started to take a turn.  Turns out that there?s interests at play here... and I?m not talking about Santa’s elves.  The last guy we sent in came back mumbling about stockings, latkes, and communal economics.  Radio intercepts go on about not one, not two, but THREE sovereign royal factions on a diplomatic mission bearing gifts and - no, I am not kidding - good tidings.  I won?t even talk about the Mistletoe Missile, mostly because RED-WHITE clearance doesn?t cover that level of technology.

Believe it or not, you?ve got some friends who were in on TOU-HO-HO back in ?09, and their contributions, while now in the archives and mostly classified, may or may not have turned the tide of the war.  If not for them, I know there?d be a lot of people in very worse situations.  This is your chance to join their ranks. 

Operation: TOU-HO-HO has two key objectives.  The first is to rally the people throughout the community to raise funds for charity.  In ?09 we cleared $1800 in donations, and we most certainly can meet or exceed that this time around. You can directly contribute by reading this thread for donation methods and instructions.

In the second we?re looking for those brave soldiers looking to directly spread holiday cheer with a Touhou flair.  We?ve got several operational profiles available at this time.  Take a look.  Your superiors will be looking for the submission in each of the four categories that best encompasses the season - be it a holiday, a winter wonderland or an expression of good will towards man, little girl and/or fairy - utilizing anything part of Gensokyo in conveying this message.  You may submit to any and all missions, but only one entry per soldier per category and you will only be eligible to place in one category.

We?ll be promoting the top scoring recruit and a runner up in each mission into Operation: CHARITY FUND DISTRIBUTION at the conclusion of our exercise.  These top 8 troops will be tasked with choosing where a percentage of the total funds will be allocated - 20% for each winner and 5% for each runner-up - and each will also be awarded Idiot Hierarchy Promotions.  I know it's not much, but we at least want to recognize your service.  Stick around to earn it, we hate giving out posthumous two-rank promotions.

MISSION: HOLLYMARI SKETCH
(best traditional art)

MISSION: 8-BITS 8 NIGHTS
(best digital art)

MISSION: CHRISTMAS.SWF
(best Walfas comic)

MISSION: SONIC KWANZAABOOM
(best song rewrite - see 2009 after action reports for examples)

Submit your entries by posting a thread in the Squadron Submission Board and either attaching your entry or submitting it to a free hosting service like Mediafire.  If you chose to accept any of the previous assignments, all materials must be received by 0000 GMT-5 (12am Eastern for you civilians) December 21st

As an additional incentive to encourage donations for Operation: TOU-HO-HO, we?ve been authorized to distribute small tokens of our appreciation via a raffle even if you chose to not partake of the available missions.  Each American Freedom Dollar you donate (as determined by the Office of War Bonds conversion algorithms) by December 24th to the cause will give you one ticket for a chance to receive one of these items.  Our agent in charge of procurement will be briefing you all shortly with more information and recently declassified photos.

I know that was a lot to take in, so we?ll have special-ops available to answer any of your questions here.

Dismissed!"

You heard it folks!  Operation: TOU-HO-HO is a go!  Please read your assignments in the Squadron Ready Room, and prepare for deployment o7  Good luck!

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

AnonymousPondScum

Re: Operation: TOU-HO-HO is a go! (Holiday Donation Drive 2012)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 12:22:24 AM »
MISSION: CHRISTMAS.SWF
(best Walfas comic)

MISSION.

ACCEPTED.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 03:08:08 PM »

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 03:09:05 PM »
A $50 donation will be thrown in from me if someone's Walfas comic submission is a full-length create.swf music video for CKY's "Santa Claus is Coming."

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 09:56:39 AM »
I will try, additionally, tell me how I can transfer money to you so I can donate. (other than paypal)
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 12:19:53 AM »
I've been reading too many SCP entries lately

an excuse to draw waifus, yes gooood

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 02:00:03 AM »
I will try, additionally, tell me how I can transfer money to you so I can donate. (other than paypal)
If Paypal is all that works, don't feel bad about using it.  It's more us silly Americans who should use an alternative if possible :V

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 07:01:35 AM »
can i do two of the missions? (and how to do it)

triangles

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 01:17:11 PM »
Yes you can!
Just make sure you put your entry in the respective topic and not all in one place - so a scan of a picture you drew and colored with pencils would go under Traditional Art, the lyrics to a Christmas carol changed to be all about Aya and Momiji go under Song Rewrite, and so on.

You can either use the forum attach feature, or upload the image on a website such as Imgur or Photobucket and link in your post.

Check out the dedicated subforum for more information!  I hope that helps!

EDIT: As an aside, if you're thinking of donating via Dwolla it takes a few days to clear and confirm your account (I'm still waiting on my end) so get on that all you silly Americans :V :V :V

EDIT EDIT: And even when you get your account cleared you have to transfer money for the first time since you're new that's another 3-5 days.  In all it can easily be ONE FULL WEEK from signup to donation, so do not procrastinate!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:54:10 PM by triangels we have heard on high »

Rangoinim

• OM NOM NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 07:47:33 AM »
Does Photoshop work, such as signatures and wallpapers, count?

If so, hell yeah I'm in
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 07:52:43 AM by Rangoinim »

Dular

• This avatar below me is considered ancient.
  • This avatar above me is considered ancient
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 05:22:35 PM »
A $50 donation will be thrown in from me if someone's Walfas comic submission is a full-length create.swf music video for CKY's "Santa Claus is Coming."

I will gladly do something like that(have to flex my IDness sometime), except that freaking song.  Never ever ever.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 08:02:19 AM »
We got 9 days to go and the turn out has been... kinda lacking.

COME ON TROOPS I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT

GET TO IT

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

triangles

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 02:13:20 PM »
What is the donation total chief?
Still waiting for my Dwolla confirmation... one week and counting....

EDIT: Literally 5 minutes after I posted this I get the confirmation it finally cleared  :V
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 02:21:10 PM by triangels we have heard on high »

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 02:30:43 PM »
We got 9 days to go and the turn out has been... kinda lacking.

COME ON TROOPS I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT

GET TO IT

Blame my school for being terrible and having finals week be the week RIGHT BEFORE Christmas.

triangles

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 02:38:55 PM »
Comedy option - Extend the whole event a month and expand submissions to be winter/holiday/New Year's/Valentine's Day themed :V :V :V

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 04:10:55 PM »
I was considering doing that, given how long it has taken for Dwolla to clear.  Had I known that would have been an issue I would have taken other measures D:

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 08:07:37 PM »
I'm still recovering from a cold and sounding unpleasantly hoarse. If it clears up completely I'm still gonna try to put together the album I was planning on doing.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 04:29:49 AM »
If we get at least another week I could at least enter the contests, since I'll have time off from work.

Unfortunately you're probably not going to get an impressive number in terms of donations. I'm much worse off financially than I was a few  years ago and judging by the donations I'm guessing most of the rest of us are too :(

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 04:46:08 AM »
My main problem is that finals crunch at this school has been absolutely brutal. Otherwise I'd chip in what bit I could.

Dular

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 05:13:05 AM »
Same thing here.  I'm only half done my Tou-ho-ho mission since I spent majority of last and the week before studying.  As it stands now I might get 3/4 of it done by the deadline.

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 09:53:08 AM »
Comedy option - Extend the whole event a month and expand submissions to be winter/holiday/New Year's/Valentine's Day themed :V :V :V
so, will you extend the event? if you do that, I'll make another drawing digitally to enter the event.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 10:00:39 PM »
I'm considering it, submissions ended today but donations are good through the 24th.  I'll discuss with the angles if she wants to go ahead and take it out to the Lunar New Year, as that's what I'd consider the "end" of the holiday season, which would be 2/10.  If that's too far, maybe just out to the end of the year.

Only issue is running a drive that long kind of makes things annoying, and if this is supposed to be a holiday drive shouldn't we donate before the holidays are over? :V

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 11:05:54 PM »
I'm not really in a shape to donate this year, but I gave what I could. Hope it helps!

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 05:07:28 AM »
ALERT!

THE DRIVE HAS BEEN EXTENDED UNTIL 12/31 BY EXECUTIVE ORDER!

I REPEAT!

THE DRIVE HAS BEEN EXTENDED UNTIL 12/31!

CONTEST ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL THE NEW DEADLINE!  WAR BONDS ARE STILL AVAILABLE!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 05:08:48 AM »
 :toot: :toot: :toot:

"How Seiga Stole Christmas" WILL SEE DAYLIGHT.

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 05:41:17 AM »
CONTEST ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL THE NEW DEADLINE!  WAR BONDS ARE STILL AVAILABLE!

OH SHIT MAYBE I'LL ACTUALLY GET SOMETHING DONE NOW (probably not.)

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 07:21:40 AM »

14:55:46 (Takatrance-Yomi) i'd have done it earlier but I'm sick
14:56:01 (Takatrance-Yomi) and I can't draw good if I'm constantly hacking out a lung and blowing blood out of my nose

thanks~

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Dular

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2012, 10:14:24 AM »
When I heard this I was pumped and getting ready to polish off my submission.

And then it vanished and now I have to do majority of it again.

triangles

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2012, 12:41:22 PM »
I'm fine with extending the event.
You can also really go to January 6th if you still want to be "Christmas/holiday" themed.

Branneg Xy

• ^UP http://www.miyasuke.net/flash/yuyugohan.html ^
    • (FREE) LINKEDIN PROFILE
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2012, 12:08:27 AM »
I just gave a little contribution to help this noble initiative :).Hope many more will follow.
^^^^ http://www.miyasuke.net/flash/yuyugohan.html  " 西行寺幽々子の強奪!!隣の晩御飯 " ->>>
" Yuyuko Saigyouji 's "Uslurpation" !! Dinner is Next ".
( Possibilities of ENGrish ) ^^^^ .