Author Topic: Is there a trick to using a gif for an avatar?  (Read 4378 times)

Goldom

• Whee
Is there a trick to using a gif for an avatar?
« on: November 19, 2012, 12:46:27 AM »
I see others with them, and searching the board turns up nothing unusual, and one post saying "just upload it like any other." It's under the limits for file and dimension sizes, but when I try uploading it, it becomes a static image (it's not just frozen - the file size goes down from 50k to 10k). Is there some special thing I need to do to it, or do they just not work anymore except for those already using them?

Re: Is there a trick to using a gif for an avatar?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 04:39:55 PM »
yea i have a problem using gifs also, my solution is to keep recreating the gif in a image editor as different file sizes till it works.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 04:19:25 PM »
There's security measures in place to prevent malicious images being used as avatars and GIFs tend to trip a lot of false positives.  I can't really offer any advice than tweak the GIF until it works, or use an APNG.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 01:21:39 AM »
GIFs tend to trip a lot of false positives.
How/why?

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 05:28:26 AM »
The security scanner scans for malicious code and GIFs are most likely to trip the code.  With the end result being that the image is just converted to a static image, there's not much of a push to reduce false positives.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Goldom

• Whee
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 03:20:36 AM »
Just noticed the reply. Thanks, but converting it to apng still didn't work. Oh well, I've already got a new avatar now anyway, so it doesn't matter anymore!