Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer  (Read 269570 times)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2012, 05:48:18 PM »
Exactly, Kogasa appeared in th12 EXstage as well as th12 stage 2 boss and th13 stage 3 mid boss.

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2012, 06:43:49 PM »
yeah that was a brainfart on my side
I've always found alice as a stage 3 boss too low anyway.
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2012, 06:47:03 PM »
I'll actually agree with you on that. She feels more like a Stage 4 Boss.
Even the Prismrivers, the de facto That One Boss for PCB, are easy compared to her. I dunno how that works, or if it's just me, but that's how it feels to me at least.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

Zil

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2012, 07:46:22 PM »
That video reminded me of a question I meant to ask. Is there a reason Kana is sometimes drawn with Do Not Enter sings?

Drake

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 12:06:59 AM »
Wow, that was a toughy. From ZUN's old music page (http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/html/music_old.html) which incidentally isn't even connected to the main site anymore, he has an original arrange of Lost Dream, as an archive file. Inside is the M music file and a comment file which reads
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|【   曲名  】| 【 夢消失 〜 Lost Dream 】(オリジナル)
|【   出典   】| 東方夢時空 カナ・アナベラルのテーマ
|【 作曲者名 】| ZUN(太田順也)
|【  日付  】| 2000/10/15
|【 ファイル名 】| th3_08pmd.lzh
|【必要ドライバ】| P.M.D (KAJAさん制作)
|                | PMDWin.dll (C60 さん制作)
|【 転載の可否 】| 基本的に自由とします。但し、メールにて連絡ください。
|                | その際、アーカイブ内はいじらないでください。
|【  著作権  】| ZUN (太田順也)
|【演奏上の注意】| PMDWin (C60さん作)を使用する場合、
|                     リズム音源の音がでない場合は、2608_*.wavを手に入れて
|                    「 SSGドラムと同時にリズム音源を鳴らす」をチェックしてください
|                  そのほか、Windows で、98エミュレータ等をお使いの場合。
|                     86 音源互換(FM6音+SSG3音+リズム音源)に設定してください
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
このたびは、ダウンロードしていただきありがとうございます。

東方夢時空より【 夢消失 〜 Lost Dream 】オリジナル版です。

完全に、東方ってことを無視した曲です(笑)
この曲からかなり吹っ切れたみたいで、以降ふぁんたすてぃかな曲調が増えたような
気がする(^^;;

カナのイメージイラストは(キャラを創る前にいつも書いていた(^^;;)、
「道路標識を破壊して後ろ手にもっている、西洋少女」だったりしました。

ではまた次の曲で逢いましょうか ZUN

曲の感想、リクエスト等はこちら
 東方幻想空間 「博麗神社」 http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/
 e-Mail                     zun@big.or.jp
Which says that before Kana was even a character he would draw her sometimes, as a "western girl who destroys things with a signpost held behind her back".

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Goldom

• Whee
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2012, 01:59:56 AM »
Question: can Reimu canonically (or commonly among fans) gap/teleport independently? Her warping is only seen in three places I can recall, none of which really convince me one way or the other. SA ReimuA does it, but she's paired with Yukari. IN 4A Reimu does it, but she's hanging out with Yukari in that story as well... though Yukari doesn't seem present when you're fighting her.
The only other is that move in the fighting games, and I dunno if that's enough to go on - I mean, spellcard duels aren't supposed to involve punching each other in the face, but we see that happening there too.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:02:38 AM by Goldom »

Zil

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2012, 02:22:12 AM »
Wow, that was a toughy. From ZUN's old music page (http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/html/music_old.html) which incidentally isn't even connected to the main site anymore, he has an original arrange of Lost Dream, as an archive file. Inside is the M music file and a comment file which readsWhich says that before Kana was even a character he would draw her sometimes, as a "western girl who destroys things with a signpost held behind her back".
Well holy crap. Thanks, and nice job finding that. Glad to have that mystery solved.

Goldom: She does it in one DS scene as well. Fantasy Dimensional Hole, I think. Actually, according to the wiki, Aya's comment says "Despite being just a human, she can teleport without breaking a sweat."

Goldom

• Whee
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2012, 02:50:44 AM »
Ah, I've never made it that far in DS. Well, good for her. Just flying always seemed a bit weak as a power when every other person in the world can do it as an aside. (Glossing over the "intrinsically undefeatable" part of course).

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2012, 09:38:35 AM »
If you look at Marisa's Grimoire, you can see that Reimu can sort of teleport. But it isn't really teleport, she sort of warps the space around her.
Here is an excerpt of Divine Spirit ~ Fantasy Seal -Blink-:

Reimu says that "the boundary surrounded by the barrier can't be seen in and of itself, so it appears that there are countless enemies." Is it just looping around a small world? Or maybe it's something like two mirrors facing each other?

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2012, 04:27:20 PM »
Wow, that was a toughy. From ZUN's old music page (http://www16.big.or.jp/~zun/html/music_old.html) which incidentally isn't even connected to the main site anymore, he has an original arrange of Lost Dream, as an archive file. Inside is the M music file and a comment file which readsWhich says that before Kana was even a character he would draw her sometimes, as a "western girl who destroys things with a signpost held behind her back".
So Kana never actually used a sign in PoDD?  I thought it was because she used one in the game that fan arts draw her with them.

Drake

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2012, 03:06:17 AM »
Nope, and Zil would have caught it if she did, in the first place. The closest thing is her cutin, which has a big thick line through it (which of course means nothing).

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2012, 04:09:34 AM »
More discovery about the relation between Mononobe no Moriya and Suwako Moriya!

Summary of points I've more or less covered in the previous thread:

-Mononobe no Moriya's name is written 物部守屋.
-In real life, the native god of Suwa and his shrine are both named 洩矢 (pronounced Moreya or Moriya; Moreya is the more ancient pronunciation).
-In real life, the priest family who claims descendancy to Moreya is named 守矢 (Moriya). The current head of the family is a woman named Sanae Moriya.

-The Mononobe clan originated from a completely different region. Their ancestry should have no relation to the Suwa region.
-Obviously, the Moriya clan and the god Moreya dates back to a time much earlier than the person Mononobe no Moriya.
-There was indeed a medieval rumour about Moriya clan being descendants of Mononobe no Moriya.

-In Touhou universe, the shrine is 守矢 and the priest family is called Kochiya (東風谷, "eastern wind valley"), to differentiate them from the real world.
-Suwako's last name is written 洩矢 and pronounced Moriya.

Then I found out:

-There is also a Mt. Moriya in Suwa. Its name is written 守屋.
-Mt. Moriya is the sacred mountain of Suwa. To put it as simply as possible, when we say Kanako and Suwako are goddesses of mountain, they are more specifically goddesses of Mt. Moriya.

-However, there is a shrine at the foot of Mt. Moriya: Shrine of Mononobe no Moriya.
-Not only that, this shrine appears to have some close relationship with Moreya Shrine. For example, its crest is 3 Kashiwa Oak leaves, while Moreya Shrine's crest is one Kashiwa Oak leaf. Some villages seem to treat Moreya Shrine as its branch shrine. (Source)
-Many of its relics and rituals are ancient remnants of Mishaguchi worship (Mishaguchi are those serpents controlled by Suwako). (Source)

-Given the above, the Shrine of Mononobe no Moriya is probably an ancient site of worship, somehow taken over by descendants of Mononobe no Moriya.

And the trail breaks here. Even the Japanese find this fact baffling, and they can't seem to find any further explanation. Did the Mononobe clan seriously take over someone else's sacred mountain, just because it has the same name as one of them?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:03:19 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2012, 05:36:49 AM »
So, a question about copyrights, because I'm still a bit confused.
Say, I arranged Septette for the Dead Princess and U.N. Owen was Her? and put them together all nice-like, and I make into a strings piece. Is it legal to have a group perform it, if it's not for profit, and is there a legitimate source I could use to say "It's okay if we play these songs in public?"

Ran-Rii

• Regular at Patchouli's Library
  • In Patchouli's Library, reading books
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2012, 06:02:05 AM »
Say, I arranged Septette for the Dead Princess and U.N. Owen was Her? and put them together all nice-like, and I make into a strings piece. Is it legal to have a group perform it, if it's not for profit, and is there a legitimate source I could use to say "It's okay if we play these songs in public?"

Usually most non-profit uses are allowed, but mostly, Public Use is not allowed. If it was for non-profit use, you should have no problems asking permission from the creator of the music itself. However, if you completely redo the music, as long as it is not similar to the original more than 8% (Or was it 10%, I forgot), you should be fine.
I'd recommend passing it off as your own, since you'd have a HARD time trying to contact ZUN for permission (Even though his email is all in the Touhou games .txt files...)
But if you want to play safe, try to ask for the permission. If you get it, congrats. If you don't... well you'd better not use it.

Usually non-profit use is more lenient on the copyright infringement side.

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2012, 06:10:21 AM »
Another question about copyright infrigement.

Say I write a book, and it's based in the world of Touhou. It's more of a story full of OC and happens in Gensokyo save for the fact I use 0 Touhou characters in it. Would I have to right to sell it for profit?

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2012, 06:37:56 AM »
According to his guidelines, if your public performance is not for profit, you have no need to contact ZUN.

Preferrably, you should make it clear that "Touhou Project is the creation of Team Shanghai Alice, and this is a derivative work" etc.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Drake

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2012, 08:08:44 AM »
Ran-rii how would you even differentiate non-profit from public, it doesn't make any sense. Contacting ZUN is indeed pretty easy, and while passing it off as your own probably would have zero consequences, that's a pretty deplorable solution and is easily worse than just saying who the author is and that you're playing his songs.

Say I write a book, and it's based in the world of Touhou. It's more of a story full of OC and happens in Gensokyo save for the fact I use 0 Touhou characters in it. Would I have to right to sell it for profit?
Why would you even take advantage of the world of Gensokyo, in that case? I find it incredibly silly that you would avoid using the characters in order to supplement your own and then not bother just going the extra mile and using an original scenario. To directly answer the question, Gensokyo is official content. If you're publishing/selling for profit as mass circulation, you must contact ZUN.
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Touhou_Wiki:Copyrights#Copyright_status.2FTerms_of_Use_of_the_Touhou_Project

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2012, 08:12:56 AM »
Why would you even take advantage of the world of Gensokyo, in that case? I find it incredibly silly that you would avoid using the characters in order to supplement your own and then not bother just going the extra mile and using an original scenario. To directly answer the question, Gensokyo is official content. If you're publishing/selling for profit as mass circulation, you must contact ZUN.
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Touhou_Wiki:Copyrights#Copyright_status.2FTerms_of_Use_of_the_Touhou_Project

I was asking for the sake of an hypothetical question; it IS silly to use an universe if you re-create the characters. I was just wondering.

Edit: I just read his terms of use and my god, ZUN is a nice guy.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 08:19:00 AM by Ikari »

Ran-Rii

« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2012, 09:30:55 AM »
Just a question...
You know the other sword Youmu has, you know, the Hakurouken, the one that can cause enlightenment...
What happens if you repeatedly slash a human with it? It is said to cause "Slight Discomfort", but it is still a sword, and thus can still kill, yes?
But it is said to slash the hesitation in the person, so if one is slashed by it, one has to be alive to have that effect, yes?

So... what happens?

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2012, 09:37:18 AM »
Just a question...
You know the other sword Youmu has, you know, the Hakurouken, the one that can cause enlightenment...
What happens if you repeatedly slash a human with it? It is said to cause "Slight Discomfort", but it is still a sword, and thus can still kill, yes?
But it is said to slash the hesitation in the person, so if one is slashed by it, one has to be alive to have that effect, yes?

So... what happens?
A human loses his hesitation and his arm.  :V
________

Edit: I just read his terms of use and my god, ZUN is a nice guy.
"Do what you want, but don't empede me from drinking beer."
Something like that.
________

Who is "shikaisen"?

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2012, 10:13:43 AM »
The th075 profile for Youmu says '両方とも生身の人間を斬ることも出来る。', and was translated to 'both of them can also kill living humans.'
But the translation somehow doesn't seem so right. (I might be wrong about this)

Who is "shikaisen"?
Basically, Seiga, Tojiko, Futo, and Miko are all shikaisen.
Try reading Shikaisen from http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Hermit , which comes from the wikipedia article.
For the Touhou version, read the Shikaisen part of http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Symposium_of_Post-mysticism/Mononobe_no_Futo
Signature

« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2012, 10:23:46 AM »

Since both of Youmu's swords are still swords, it can kill.
As for cutting hesitation, it is more useful to cut a spirit's hesitation, as that will supposedly send them to Nirvana. This is one of the short cuts one can use to go to Nirvana.
I'm not sure if there are any useful effects when used on living humans. I guess cutting hesitation would be useful sometimes.

Ran-Rii

« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2012, 10:27:48 AM »
Since both of Youmu's swords are still swords, it can kill.
As for cutting hesitation, it is more useful to cut a spirit's hesitation, as that will supposedly send them to Nirvana. This is one of the short cuts one can use to go to Nirvana.
I'm not sure if there are any useful effects when used on living humans. I guess cutting hesitation would be useful sometimes.

...And Youmu decides to stop hesitating whether to let Yuyuko eat Myon by cutting Myon with the Hakurouken...
Cutting both hesitation and also stopping the problem...

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2012, 01:54:58 PM »
What is Nirvava?

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2012, 04:18:14 PM »
Here you go.
Not the band... :V Lol I meant the Japanese one

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2012, 04:20:48 PM »
Holy crap how lazy are you? Scroll down the page! It's a Buddhist concept.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2012, 08:45:23 PM »
Ehhhhh... I think that I read somewhere that Danmaku battles in gensokyo can't kill anyone? Is that true? If it is true so it can only hurt a little? How its "damage" system works?
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Drake

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2012, 09:35:14 PM »
danmaku battles are nonlethal, yes

http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Perfect_Memento_in_Strict_Sense/Reimu_Hakurei
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Perfect_Memento_in_Strict_Sense/Draft_of_Spell_Card_Rules

Whether there's an actual sense of damage or not doesn't really ever matter. Generally it's assumed that danmaku play hurts in a mostly slapstick sort of way, at best.

Goldom

• Whee
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2012, 09:43:41 PM »
Here's one I've never been able to find an answer to (watch someone pull out a super-obvious wiki page with the solution in big letters, but I can't find it):

Given that spellcard rules exist, and that's how you're supposed to do all your fighting... what the heck are nonspells? I mean, they can't be "real" attacks since they still don't kill anyone, but they don't have names or whatnot. I've never heard an explanation, canon or otherwise, about what they are in-world, beyond just being a contrivance to pace the gameplay.