Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer  (Read 269281 times)

fondue

• excuse me
Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer
« on: November 15, 2012, 07:05:44 AM »
Archive for older threads. They won't be deleted.
Miscellaneous Questions Thread #1
Miscellaneous Questions Thread #2

※ Welcome to the Miscellaneous Questions thread! ※

In this thread, ask for the sources of doujinshi pages, artist sites and pixiv pages, original versions of edited images, meanings of internet memes, and anything else you can think of. Questions like "HOW DO I BEAT THIS SPELLCARD?? or "WHAT IS THIS VIDEO PARODYING?" and such are all more than welcome here (better yet, in their respective specialized threads). We do artist sourcing, music identifying, you name it. Even if it doesn't have to do directly with Touhou, please ASK HERE rather than creating an entirely new thread for it.

Useful Links: PLEASE CHECK THESE BEFORE ASKING

If those sites and links fail to give what you are looking for, then please post your query here. If you as a question at one point and it doesn't get answered in a significant span of time, please don't hesitate to ask again. We may not have been able to answer the question at that time, but our knowledge has likely changed since then. If you feel that your question is being ignored, rest assured that it is not; we simply do not have an answer for you.

Also, no question is too stupid to ask. Here, we will answer you truthfully and without trolling. These boards have active moderators, and people who lie in their answers will be dealt with.

The same rules apply here as they do to the board at large, of course: No links to game downloads, no warez, etc etc. You know the drill.

A helpful community is worth endless gold. Thank you for showing your time and effort and helping out each other.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 09:13:58 AM by Helepolis »

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 08:36:43 AM »
Okay first question.
What's the difference between bakeneko, sawarineko and nekomata?
Searching for bakaneko's picture, I found a sentence on Wiki saying nekomata is a bakeneko with doubled tail. Good.
________

Oh my. Already found an answer. There are three ways for a cat to become an youkai named "bakeneko".
1. To reach age of 13 years.
2. To reach weight of 1 kan (=3,75kg).
3. To have a long tail. In this case, this tail is doubled, and result has additional name "nekomata".
So, and "Sawarineko" is the special name for Tsubasa Hanekawa's youkai form, literally meaning "bad cat".
I'll left it there for your general education. :3

<Tengukami> Hey there, if you have something new to add, just edit your post; we don't do double-posting 'round there here parts. Thanks!
Okay.
________

Yes, Chen's title is Black Cat of Bad Omens. So, you can derive that Chen is a cat youkai.
I am aware that title does not mean species, but you can derive from their title what type of youkai they may be.
Titles may be misleading.
"The Girl of Knowledge and Shade". "The Unmoving Great Library". Those titles don't say that Patchy is a magician specializing on elementary magic.
No one of Sakuya's titles mentions her time/space abilities.
I can suggest that Kurenai China Meiling is a warrior who had gained control of Chi that was enough to be turned into a youkai. So, she's a "warrior". ninja lol

There actually is a difference between おう and おお, as well as えい and ええ, just to mention.
Okay, if you say this. I see your Japanese knowledge is better than "first ten of lessons" that is mine. :3
And I sincerely thought Japanese don't catch difference between them. Stop.
And actually there's difference between を and お, じ and ぢ etc? Oh my.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 09:01:05 AM by Delfigamer »

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 11:12:01 AM »
Yuuka has a title, her title is Flower Master of the Four Seasons. So, we can assume she is a flower youkai.
Same deal with Yukari, her title is Youkai of Boundaries, among other titles. So, we can assume she is a boundary youkai.
Meiling has a sad title, Chinese Girl. So, unless chinese youkai is a type of youkai, yeah, she is an unknown youkai type.

But Yuuka isn't a flower youkai and Yukari isn't a boundary youkai. They're both just youkai. Saying that Yuuka is a flower youkai is like saying that Reimu is an armpit miko.
Their titles may give clues to their powers, but their powers don't necessarily make them a "type" of youkai.

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »
OOPS

I have a question, I heard that once that the PC-98 series and the Windows were on different timelines and where not in the 'same' Gensokyo. But this proves false when in PCB stage 3, Alice easks either Marisa or Raymoo if they remember her. Are they on the same Gensokyo?

Goldom

• Whee
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 07:54:29 PM »
I don't believe there's a solid answer one way or the other. That's one piece of evidence supporting same-universe, though it could equally be explained away if you tried. The main reason (I think) some people believe they aren't is simply how many PC-98 characters are missing. But again, that's equally explainable as "they're busy elsewhere now."

Personally I go with same-universe. There are some inconsistencies, but overall it works well enough - even the humans' (apparent) ages seem to carry over properly, (with the exception of HRtP, where Reimu looks about 15 years older than in SoEW).

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 08:45:53 PM »
I don't believe there's a solid answer one way or the other. That's one piece of evidence supporting same-universe, though it could equally be explained away if you tried. The main reason (I think) some people believe they aren't is simply how many PC-98 characters are missing.

Which is itself explained by ZUN, who in an interview said that these characters were now "elsewhere". And since he never said the PC-98 world is in a totally different timeline, I think the default explanation is that they are on the same timeline; it's just that most of the cast from PC-98 aren't coming back.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Delfigamer

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 06:33:04 AM »
Strange. I had read on touhouwiki that ZUN said there are two different Gensokyos.

with the exception of HRtP, where Reimu looks about 15 years older than in SoEW
Maybe HRtP happened far after other events? Or it is old Hakurei Miko.

But this proves false when in PCB stage 3, Alice easks either Marisa or Raymoo if they remember her. Are they on the same Gensokyo?
We can say that there was events in new Gensokyo that are similar to PC-98 ones.

Could it be Yukari's/Keine's powers?

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 08:07:05 AM »
But Yuuka isn't a flower youkai and Yukari isn't a boundary youkai. They're both just youkai.
Their titles may give clues to their powers, but their powers don't necessarily make them a "type" of youkai.

Exactly. There's been many theories about Yuuka and Yukari, a few of them being that Yuuka may have been a flower in the past who slowly turned into a humanoid youkai and that Yukari is the humanoid version of a gap. (...It sounds kinda weird, I know) In the end, they're youkais with flower/gap related abilities, the same way Meiling is a youkai with chi related abilities.

Saying that Yuuka is a flower youkai is like saying that Reimu is an armpit miko.

I would've said ''Flying Miko'', but yeah, the point still stands.

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 08:14:47 AM »
Titles may be misleading.
"The Girl of Knowledge and Shade". "The Unmoving Great Library". Those titles don't say that Patchy is a magician specializing on elementary magic.
No one of Sakuya's titles mentions her time/space abilities.

Titles are a description of the character in question. The title describes the character. The "great unmoving library" describes that Patchouli does not move often and this is verified in games. Sakuya's title does the same, it describes her.
Titles may tell us what the character's abilities are, but it doesn't have to, that is not what it is for. Their abilities is what tells us what abilities a character has.

But Yuuka isn't a flower youkai and Yukari isn't a boundary youkai. They're both just youkai. Saying that Yuuka is a flower youkai is like saying that Reimu is an armpit miko.

No, their abilities tell you what powers they have.
Their title give you a description of who they are. As you can tell from all the titles in Touhou, it gives you a brief description of whoever has that title.

That said, youkai, unlike humans are descriptions of things, often times things that people want an explanation on. Youkai also come in a very vast category, including, but not limited to flowers, dolls, gaps, fire, etc. Any title that describes a youkai would imply that the youkai is of that type, unless already stated otherwise, as this would be a judgement call. This is because as already mentioned, a youkai is a description of a phenomenon or a thing.

Now, Yuuka and Yukari have titles that describe who they are and therefore you can conclude that they are that type of youkai. This is because, as I already said, a youkai is a description of a phenomenon or thing.

Strange. I had read on touhouwiki that ZUN said there are two different Gensokyos.

Nope. You most likely read wrong. http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/ZUN/ZUN%27s_E-mails. Zun explains about PC-98. The characters are around, but they may not be the same.

We can say that there was events in new Gensokyo that are similar to PC-98 ones.

As far as PC-98 events, you should just ignore it.

Could it be Yukari's/Keine's powers?

Neither of them are that strong, you are overestimating them. Keine cannot even hide history for Yukari.

There's been many theories about Yuuka and Yukari

I am not talking about theories, I am talking about the nature of youkai.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 08:29:04 AM »
Titles are a description of the character in question. The title describes the character. The "great unmoving library" describes that Patchouli does not move often and this is verified in games. Sakuya's title does the same, it describes her.
Titles may tell us what the character's abilities are, but it doesn't have to, that is not what it is for. Their abilities is what tells us what abilities a character has.

Let's be serious, titles are meant to be pretty and give a nice presentation to the character. Seriously, if we're going to consider titles as pure proofs? Then Marisa simply doesn't exist because she's a being made of dreams and magic. RED dreams and magic.

That said, youkai, unlike humans are descriptions of things, often times things that people want an explanation on. Youkai also come in a very vast category, including, but not limited to flowers, dolls, gaps, fire, etc. Any title that describes a youkai would imply that the youkai is of that type, unless already stated otherwise, as this would be a judgement call. This is because as already mentioned, a youkai is a description of a phenomenon or a thing.

Now, Yuuka and Yukari have titles that describe who they are and therefore you can conclude that they are that type of youkai. This is because, as I already said, a youkai is a description of a phenomenon or thing.

''Youkai'' means supernatural creature. It's usually is a phenomenon or a thing, but it's also ''everything that isn't human'' in gensokyo. Hell, Yuuka can be Hulk who just happens to like flowers and has flower related abilities. Reimu can fly, yet she isn't a flying youkai miko human whatever. She's just a human with a special ability.

Rumia's official name is the Youkai of Twilight. Are her powers even remotely associated with the actual Twilight? Not really, she can make some places dark like nights, while twilight is more of a sunset; Thus, she can be considered both a twilight youkai and a night youkai. I know the twilight is the part of the day where darkness arrives, but it's not *night* yet, which is what Rumia's powers compare to.

Another example; Alice is a magician youkai that uses dolls; Every single of her titles pretty much talk about her abilities at puppetry. She's canonically a puppetry nut. That doesn't make her a puppeteer youkai, she's still a magician. Furthermore, I have yet to see Alice use non doll-related magic.

Sakuya! She's described as ''human that seems to have lived for a while now and has weird time stopping abilities''. Her race is still human, despite her straying ridiculously far from the term itself; She was scolded by Shikeiki for being cold toward humans, too. She can be called a time-stopping maid just like Yuuka can be a flower youkai; The true, official races are still human and youkai.

I am not talking about theories, I am talking about the nature of youkai.

There is no canonical proofs of anything we've even discussed so far other than titles, which are stated as being almost played for laughs. I don't see how random theories are that different from our current debate.

Drake

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 08:31:40 AM »
Well, it would be a huge pain to try to bring in older characters all the time. They?d show up, and everyone would be, "Where have you been all this time?!" It?d be weird to fit them into the story. And, I?d rather make new characters. Of course, I won?t say they?ll never show up again ? Hm, Genjii? Well, Reimu can fly, so she doesn?t need him anymore. :beer: He?s kind of a Master Roshi character. But he?s a turtle, and turtles are long-lived. He?s probably peacefully living out his days in a pond behind the shrine.
Basically, [Yuki and Mai] are whatever-works types, so they might not be dead.  I generally have no comment regarding
the PC-98 games.  Please ignore them just as one can ignore derivative works. :-)   (note this doesn't mean "pc-98 is not canon")
Q: With the new series (EoSD and on), has the whole setting been swept clean?
A: Consider that the newest work (PCB) is basically the most detailed and correct. Basically, with the stuff before EoSD, when considering the setting to be nonexistent even if the world's appearance is the same, you should still be able to enjoy the later works.
Of course, nothing in particular has changed.
There is no need to say that the setting doesn't exist just because it hasn't been mentioned. Instead, think of it as if only one part of it becomes an issue in the games.
there are more but idgaf, basically pc-98 exists but you might as well consider it nonexistent since it isn't relevant to anything in the newer games so please don't dig stuff up from it and pretend it holds water in the context of newer information because seriously it doesn't, so stop thinking so hard about it

SXS: Youkai are not necessarily descriptions of anything, they are simply beings that are not categorized as anything else. Fairies would be your manifestations of nature. I'm not sure why you keep arguing that youkai have to be described as a "type" of youkai when it's pretty clear that youkai isn't a descriptive label by any means. I mean seriously:
Quote from: PMiSS
There are many types of youkai with extremely varied powers. Some races have a great number that are all categorized under a certain name, while others can be as few as a single member.
These unique youkai are not called by whatever individual species they may be, but simply "youkai."
Many of the youkai in Gensokyo fall into this "youkai" section.
It might be confusing, but youkai as a race is similar to the "Others" section of a graph. I suppose there are quite a few graphs where "Others" is the largest category.
"Flower youkai" just means Yuuka is a youkai that deals with flowers. "Gap youkai" just means Yukari is a youkai associated with gaps. "Nekomata" is actually a thing and therefore Chen is a youkai and a nekomata, but you might as well say she's a black cat youkai. Murasa is a funyuurei and you could say a "shipwreck youkai". Alice is a magician and you could say a "dollmaker youkai".
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 08:35:43 AM by Drakums »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 08:49:45 AM »
@Ikari: I am assuming you have no idea what youkai are. Your replies don't make any sense.

A youkai, by its nature, is a description of a phenomenon or thing. Rumia is a darkness youkai, because she has something to do with the darkness. Yuuka is a flower youkai, because she has something to do with flowers, as already mentioned in her title. Yukari is a boundary youkai, because she has something to do with boundaries.

Reimu can fly, yet she isn't a flying youkai miko human whatever. She's just a human with a special ability.

Why are you comparing humans to youkai? They aren't the same. As I said and I will repeat this, a character's title is a description of the character.
Reimu being able to fly doesn't mean anything, she is not a youkai. Sakuya and Marisa are bad examples, they are not youkai.

That doesn't make her a puppeteer youkai, she's still a magician. Furthermore, I have yet to see Alice use non doll-related magic.

Quite the contrary, it does make her a puppeteer youkai or as Drakums says, dollmaster youkai.

There is no canonical proofs of anything we've even discussed so far other than titles

I repeat, this is not a theory. This is what youkai are.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 09:05:49 AM »
@Ikari: I am assuming you have no idea what youkai are. Your replies don't make any sense.

A youkai, by its nature, is a description of a phenomenon or thing. Rumia is a darkness youkai, because she has something to do with the darkness. Yuuka is a flower youkai, because she has something to do with flowers, as already mentioned in her title. Yukari is a boundary youkai, because she has something to do with boundaries.

Why are you comparing humans to youkai? They aren't the same. As I said and I will repeat this, a character's title is a description of the character.
Reimu being able to fly doesn't mean anything, she is not a youkai. Sakuya and Marisa are bad examples, they are not youkai.

Quite the contrary, it does make her a puppeteer youkai or as Drakums says, dollmaster youkai.

I repeat, this is not a theory. This is what youkai are.

Well geez, sorry for not being able to understand your point either. I mean, you just had proof from Drakums that Youkai shouldn't be classified in types, and you keep on insisting they can, should and are. I'm going to assume you have no idea what the term ''youkai'' is either. Looks like we're in the same boat, let's hope Murasa won't sink it!

And yeah, throwing humans in there weren't the best example. I'll give you that.

And... You missed my point about Alice, but I don't really care about that because the magician race in Touhou is pretty much the most ambiguous thing ever. It's a race, it's a job and it's a science. No point in arguing on that.

Yuuka's titles:

Oriental Demon (TH04) (*cough*Youkai*cough*)
Youkai (TH05)
Beauty of Everlasting Darkness (KOG)
Flower Master of the Four Seasons (TH09, PMiSS)

I see one reference to flowers and it's borderline a reference to how seasons don't affect Yuuka's love for flowers.

Yukari's titles:

Mastermind Behind the Spiriting Away (TH07)
Border of Phantasm (TH7.5, TH10.5, TH12.3)
Youkai of Boundaries (TH08, PMiSS, TH11)
Youkai that lurks in the Boundary (TH08 character intros)
Uncanny Smile (TH9.5)
Phantasmal Wedding of the Kitsune / Phantasmal Sunshower* (TH10.5)

Again, she's called a youkai of boundaries ONCE among her 6 titles. If you're going to use titles as proofs, then I can call her the embodiment of the border of phantasm.

Anyway, I'm personally done arguing about that because honestly, it could go on forever. I'll let Drakums take over, he pretty much said in a fantastic way what I've been trying to say but have been unable to due to my lack of vocabulary and ability to expand on my point of views.

Drake

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 09:25:31 AM »
The thing is that everything you've been saying is more or less correct until you take an extra step and assert youkai must have a type of which it is described by, outside of "youkai". As if said "type" is actually a label of race or species. In some cases it may be, but it is often not the case; the label stems from the actual identification of species, not the other way around. A youkai that actually is a defined species such as a vampire, nekomata, phantom, kappa, oni; these are all subspecies. What you are doing is taking arbitrary labels based on a character's traits and attempting to turn it into an equivalent of a subspecies, when this is patently not the case. I was saying Alice could be called a "dollmaker youkai" because she is a dollmaker and she is a youkai; not because "dollmaker youkai" is some sort of actual identifier that goes above "youkai", and so forth. If I have to say it again, a youkai by nature can be a description of a phenomenon or tradition or tale, but is not necessarily, and in many cases is not. You can call them *label* youkai, but you cannot assert that the label extends beyond simply being a label.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 09:30:39 AM »
<text>

This. Someone give this man a medal already and let's get over this argument.

Ran-Rii

• Regular at Patchouli's Library
  • In Patchouli's Library, reading books
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 09:31:57 AM »
The thing is that everything you've been saying is more or less correct until you take an extra step and assert youkai must have a type of which it is described by, outside of "youkai". As if said "type" is actually a label of race or species. In some cases it may be, but it is often not the case; the label stems from the actual identification of species, not the other way around. A youkai that actually is a defined species such as a vampire, nekomata, phantom, kappa, oni; these are all subspecies. What you are doing is taking arbitrary labels based on a character's traits and attempting to turn it into an equivalent of a subspecies, when this is patently not the case. I was saying Alice could be called a "dollmaker youkai" because she is a dollmaker and she is a youkai; not because "dollmaker youkai" is some sort of actual identifier that goes above "youkai", and so forth. If I have to say it again, a youkai by nature can be a description of a phenomenon or tradition or tale, but is not necessarily, and in many cases is not. You can call them *label* youkai, but you cannot assert that the label extends beyond simply being a label.

Wait, what? Alice, human or Youkai?
I don't get it already... does it apply to Patchouli the same way?

And I thought they were human all along...

Delfigamer

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 09:57:56 AM »
Wait, what? Alice, human or Youkai?
I don't get it already... does it apply to Patchouli the same way?

And I thought they were human all along...
Alice&Patchy are youkai magicians.
Marisa is human magician.
They have different nature, like Sanae and Suwako, but their abilities are alike. E. g. any of them can use any magic they have learnt.

A youkai, by its nature, is a description of a phenomenon or thing.
I'd say they are more likely to be embodiements of human's fear (see Yukari's talk with Kaguya), like gods are embodiements of faith, fairies are embodiements of nature aspects etc. Though, this theory is only one way the General Theory of Magic can be used in Gensokyo.

Drake

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 10:11:15 AM »
edit: lol cut

They're both youkai. In Gensokyo there's a difference between a real magician and a human who uses magic like Marisa. Magicians are youkai, and there are two types: the first type is someone who's born a magician, such as Patchouli. Magicians who are born magicians grow as a human would, along with the limited lifespan, until they use magic that stops their aging, and then they're considered "complete". The second type is a human that has used enough magic or certain kinds of magic, that they can self-sustain by the use of magic. Then, they use similar magic to the natural magicians, and they turn into youkai (or maybe you could say they lose their humanity).
PMiSS describes magicians as "One who has become possessed by magic, such that the one's body itself is powered by magic; this type of youkai is known as a magician. "

Alice was once a human, and the magic that she used when opening her grimoire (or possibly) turned her into a youkai. (Well, she could have been a creation of Shinki, so she might not really have been human, but that's another matter)
Patchouli has no information on whether or not she used to be a human, or if she was somehow born a magician, so she's kind of out of the question.
Byakuren used to be a human, but in studying black magic to stop her from dying and to increase her strength, she became a youkai.
Marisa is just a human that uses magic; she hasn't done anything so extreme that she loses her humanity. Magician is basically her profession.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 11:44:13 AM »
You know I have a question regarding Rinnosuke. He is not often discussed though personally I think he is way more mysterious and unexplained than most other characters.

PMiSS mentions he is half-human half youkai. What am I suppose to make of this, is he like Keine? Although Keine is definitely a shape shifter when she enters Hakutaku mode. Additionally, how does one become a half youkai anyway? A wild toss: Could it be that Rinnosuke has obtained half of what Marisa is aiming for (the becoming a Youkai magician thing?)

And logically something unexplained and frequently asked, he worked in the Kirisame antique shop before starting his own. I wonder why?

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 01:00:37 PM »
Keine was actually a normal human that later turned into a half-youkai according to her PMiSS profile (probably she was bitten by a true were-hakutaku or something), which is why her transformation on the full moon is only partial instead of complete (she only grow horns and a tail instead of becoming a full hakutaku).

I always thought that Rinnosuke was a legitimate hybrid; one parent was human and the other youkai. No clue if that's possible or not in the touhouverse, I don't think it has been discussed yet.

He probably worked in the Kirisame shop for the same reason he has his own now; he likes to interact with antiques and unique objects. He started his own probably so he could choose what to keep and what to sell.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 02:30:08 PM »
Keine was actually a normal human that later turned into a half-youkai according to her PMiSS profile (probably she was bitten by a true were-hakutaku or something), which is why her transformation on the full moon is only partial instead of complete (she only grow horns and a tail instead of becoming a full hakutaku).
Oh? Where did you read that exactly? Her PMiSS profile speaks of her as a therianthropy but not how she got it. The footnote mentions:
Quote from: PMiSS
Incidentally, it's an acquired characteristic.

Although not quite sure whether this implies her transformation characteristic due to the full moon or her becoming a Hakutaku. Assuming it is footnoted behind her full moon mentioning, I would say the former.

I always thought that Rinnosuke was a legitimate hybrid; one parent was human and the other youkai. No clue if that's possible or not in the touhouverse, I don't think it has been discussed yet.
I could vaguely remember the old PMiSS description mentioned he was half-beast half-human before but later on got changed to youkai&human. But unsure, but surely doesn't take away the mysterious shroud around him. CoLA doesn't really make it any easier because it is more Rinnosuke telling his side of the story as citizen of Gensoukyo.

Curse you ZUN.

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 05:45:18 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np1divim63I&feature=relmfu
The first comment says Lily White was originally supposed to be the 4th (of 7) stage boss in PCB. I've never heard of that before, so I'm quite sceptical. Can anybody confirm this?

Also, since the video thread seems to be dead, I'll throw this question in here: Where is the music in this video from? It's incredibly catchy, and I'd assume it's somewhere from PC-98, but I don't know very much about those games or their music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LRstq65X4Q
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 11:33:07 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np1divim63I&feature=relmfu
The first comment says Lily White was originally supposed to be the 4th (of 7) stage boss in PCB. I've never heard of that before, so I'm quite sceptical. Can anybody confirm this?
No.

Also, since the video thread seems to be dead, I'll throw this question in here: Where is the music in this video from? It's incredibly catchy, and I'd assume it's somewhere from PC-98, but I don't know very much about those games or their music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LRstq65X4Q
That would be Greenwich in the Sky, from the music-album Magical Astronomy. It is not used in any official game.

Drake

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 11:33:24 PM »
7 bosses in itself sounds like total bologna, but granting a character who currently has no dialogue and no extraneous traits a boss position is pretty shifty itself. Mind the post-hoc, but if Lily was supposed to express herself with danmaku then having her as a stage boss doesn't make much sense. That being said, you being skeptical means you can basically ignore the claim until they present evidence, so while I can't confirm this, you can pretty much go along ignoring it.

ON THE OTHER HAND STAGE 4 IS SO LONG THAT YOU MIGHT AS WELL HAVE TWO STAGES DOHOHOHO

(also as you might see i've confronted the guy lol)

As for the video, I find it funny that you link Ghostly Field Club first and then not recognize a song from Magical Astronomy. It's Greenwich in the Sky.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 07:32:20 AM »
wait

Koishi's Heart-Punching Adventure updated?

When was this?

Drake

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 07:43:04 AM »
Ahhhh, that was the only one I missed, then. Thanks Drake!

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 11:30:14 AM »
7 bosses in itself sounds like total bologna, but granting a character who currently has no dialogue and no extraneous traits a boss position is pretty shifty itself. Mind the post-hoc, but if Lily was supposed to express herself with danmaku then having her as a stage boss doesn't make much sense. That being said, you being skeptical means you can basically ignore the claim until they present evidence, so while I can't confirm this, you can pretty much go along ignoring it.
Alright, although there's always the possibility that those traits were added after she was reduced to be the midboss. But heh, Lily being higher than Alice is pretty suspicious in itself.

As for the video, I find it funny that you link Ghostly Field Club first and then not recognize a song from Magical Astronomy. It's Greenwich in the Sky.
Yesterday was the first time I listened to Ghostly Field Club (or any of ZUN's albums, for that matter), but now I know what to listen to next!

Thanks for the answers, guys.
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

Delfigamer

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2012, 03:30:08 PM »
Lily being higher than Alice
Yeah. And Myoren's janitor is higher than Yuyu-sama. Alice too was a cool (even Extra) boss in MS.
And Alice is a youkai magician while Lily is just a fairy.

Yesterday was the first time I listened to Ghostly Field Club (or any of ZUN's albums, for that matter)
That was my first ZUN's music. Then was in-game EoSD soundtrack. :3

BTW, it isn't Greenwich in the Night Sky? Okay, will know.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 03:50:54 PM »
Lily being higher than Alice is pretty suspicious in itself.
ZUN already said that stages bosses appear in is not an indicator of their power level, but I'm sure you aren't serious about what you said.

Just felt like throwing that out...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 04:22:36 PM by game2011 »