Author Topic: I like DDR!  (Read 24207 times)

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
I like DDR!
« on: July 31, 2009, 04:56:48 AM »
I'm just getting started with the series. Unfortunately I bought DDR X and I can't return it. That'll teach me to read the reviews first.

So which ones do you recommend?

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
Re: I like DDR!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 05:10:28 AM »
The Xbox/360 ones are awesome as far as songlist variety and quality does. For the PS2, Max, SN and SN2 aren't too bad either.

Drake

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 05:29:48 AM »
My brother is really really Heavy into DDR, which is totally YEAH GOOD FOR YOU EXERCISE from me, but mats and Stepmania/ITG/etcetc is pretty much all he does and it's really fucking irritating, especially since his taste in music is less than not annoying.

I rarely play anymore except at the arcades. 6 foot minimum and 8/9 foot maximum.

I recommend the 360 ones, but I hate hate hate Universe's interface. And of course if you can manage to get Extreme it has like fifty billion songs.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 08:24:42 AM »
What's wrong with DDR X?

DarkHedge

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 08:30:36 AM »
I don't understand either what's bad with DDR X. I don't have it neither did I play it but as I can see, the few reviews on GameFAQs don't seem to particularly hate it. The website gives it 7,7/10 out of 22 votes...

Nemo★Ma

• Have Faith.
  • And keep it.
    • NMforce
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 10:02:52 AM »
Seriously, grab stepmania.

Break anything that stands between you and them!

Moogy

• ※中の人は可愛い男の娘(嘘)
  • 覇道型流離人
    • tsukuru
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 10:56:07 AM »

DarkHedge

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 11:06:11 AM »
Shut up, Nemoma scores one. Grab Stepmania and ask Gpop you want arrows with sauce. He will understand. :V

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 11:09:18 AM »

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 11:55:35 AM »
I've played DDR since 2000 and I love DDR X. I mean arcade versions btw.
I used to take part in championships n everything.
Kinda quit during the "Extreme" break, since nothing new came out for years and uni and work and girlfriend were taking most of my time, and then i hated SN when it came out...
If there was a DDR X close to where I live I'd definitely start playing again if only for the boss songs.

I really wish I could play FELMO and Pluto Relinquish on my feet.
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube

Gpop

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 01:16:08 PM »
Just don't get Supernova 2 (Fucking Pluto series are fucking retarded crap stepcharts).

Oh, and get MAX, Extreme 2, and probably MAX2.

But seriously, DDR's stepcharts are becoming more bullshit than ever. Seriously.

I want ITG back ;_;

I recommend the 360 ones, but I hate hate hate Universe's interface. And of course if you can manage to get Extreme it has like fifty billion songs.

I really want to get the 360 versions, but I have no space to put a mat in, and I don't want to use a controller (if I did I'd rather download the songs for Stepmania).

Only the AC version of Extreme has a fuckload of songs, which is an awesome thing.

Shut up, Nemoma scores one. Grab Stepmania and ask Gpop you want arrows with sauce. He will understand. :V

-_-

N-Forza

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 01:34:26 PM »
DDR's stepcharts are becoming more bullshit than ever. Seriously.

I want ITG back ;_;
what

Gpop

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 01:40:57 PM »
DDR's stepcharts are becoming more bullshit than ever. Seriously.

I want ITG back ;_;
what

I seriously mean it

Of course, some of the easier charts are better, but they're definitely not as fun as the stepcharts from the older games (from MAX - Extreme 2)

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 02:05:32 PM »
WHAT

CHAOS IS PERFECT

seriously

i can agree PRO and HDVO endings are very hard, but I've played PIU as well since 2002, and that kind of chart is pretty normal to me.
it's only natural that harder things are made to satisfy experienced players.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bullshit..

I definitely love Chaos, the music, the stepcharts.. everything.
Watch me on Youtube

Gpop

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 02:07:50 PM »
Sure, Chaos is a decent song, but the BPM stops and all that ruined the chart completely.

PRO tries to whore the cross-overs.

Actually, this chart proves how low they can go.

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 02:26:14 PM »
That Dead End is retarded, I can agree with that.

As well as some of the X-Specials

As much as PRO can look ridiculous, PR Heavy is pretty nicely done.

God I really want to play that!

There is only one Extreme and one SN1 about an hour and half away from where I live..

i haven't touched a DDR arcade for like.. 4 or 5 months =(

I really like the bpm stops at Chaos.. They go very well with the music.
Watch me on Youtube

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 02:30:39 PM »
Seriously, grab stepmania.
Shut the hell up.

Sure, Chaos is a decent song, but the BPM stops and all that ruined the chart completely.

PRO tries to whore the cross-overs.

Actually, this chart proves how low they can go.
You too. If you are seriously using Dead End (Groove Radar Special) as a representation of what DDR is like at this point, you're dumb.

One thing you guys have to understand about Boss Songs is that they are Boss Songs. The current state of rhythm games is we have people tri-starring 12s and 13s on sightreads, and the only way to prevent that anymore is to create a chart with ridiculous stops and tempo changes that have to be learned, which is why we have ridiculous things like Fascination MAXX, Pluto, and Trigger. Dead End (Groove Radar Special) is a gimmick chart that I guarantee was put there "just to see how far you'd get", if ITG players would put as much time and effort into it as they do Vertex^2, then I'll bet it wouldn't even be an issue. Shall I also bring up Stop and Go? Everyone just looks for reasons to attack DDR, because people are either butthurt about losing ITG or people just want Extreme AC and think SuperNOVA is the work of the devil.

Gpop

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 02:38:36 PM »
Not really, I just didn't enjoy Supernova and onwards. The stepcharts just didn't appeal to me at all since then.

But I did like Extreme 2. Those stepcharts were fun.

Stop & Go at least made sense in the stops. There were quite a few stops in Chaos that made NO SENSE whatsoever. They were just placed to "make the stepchart harder", that's all. I personally didn't find it fun.

Faxx wasn't too bad. It was kinda fun, but...I dunno why, but the gallops didn't feel right to me.

I haven't played Trigger yet, so I won't comment that at all.

Have you seen DeltaMAX? Compare it to DM Ashura's proposition for the stepchart. I find his chart A LOT better than Konami's version.

I'm not saying that DDR is terrible in every way. I'm just saying that it has a lot more potential than what it is now. I still play DDR when I pass by one.

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 02:44:46 PM »
I LOVE Trigger.

It's one of the coolest songs and has a pretty cool stepchart.
It's very hard, I'd say it's up there with PRO and FELMO/FAXXO

It's definitely worth a try.
Watch me on Youtube

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 02:48:06 PM »
Have you seen DeltaMAX? Compare it to DM Ashura's proposition for the stepchart. I find his chart A LOT better than Konami's version.
Both DM Ashura's and DukAmok's charts were bad. Oh yeah, DukAmok is the Konami that made that chart.

Gpop

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 02:50:16 PM »
Both DM Ashura's and DukAmok's charts were bad. Oh yeah, DukAmok is the Konami that made that chart.

Actually, DumAmok said that he has no say in the stepcharts. He doesn't make them, just place them. He has to do what the boss tells him.

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 02:50:23 PM »
I enjoyed NEOMax

That's from DM Ashura isn't it? It's very very old.

i miss the old times of Tournamix as well.
Watch me on Youtube

N-Forza

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 03:15:03 PM »
Yeah, I used to make steps too back in the day, and even worked on a similar game until the whole ITG fiasco kind of killed any feasibility it might have had.

I need to go back and clean up my old files sometime and release them somewhere so the few pad players can enjoy them.

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 04:09:42 PM »

Actually, DumAmok said that he has no say in the stepcharts. He doesn't make them, just place them. He has to do what the boss tells him.
Uhh, he told both DM Ashura and myself that he made the charts. In fact, DM Ashura and I both actually worked on the chart for the song and submitted them to him.

Gpop

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 04:15:45 PM »

Uhh, he told both DM Ashura and myself that he made the charts. In fact, DM Ashura and I both actually worked on the chart for the song and submitted them to him.

Well that's something I haven't heard then. I was told that he has to do what the boss says, and he's very limited in the stepping.

Slowpoke

• Media Analyst
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 06:06:43 PM »
Take it easy, everyone. I actually wanted to know which games have the best music; I'm just a casual gamer and I'm not worried about how the charts are.

Also I never bought an Xbox or 360. My budget for video games and consoles is very tight, which is why I only recently bought a PS2.

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 06:48:34 PM »
with PS2 you can pretty much play all versions up to SN2 I think.

I'd still download ITG and play the original DDR songs with it.. =)
Watch me on Youtube

Gpop

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 06:52:53 PM »
Like I said before, Extreme 2 and MAX. I believe MAX2 is a good choice as well. I dunno about Extreme though.

Drake

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 06:59:11 PM »
Pretty much both Extremes and both MAXs.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2009, 08:32:13 PM »
with PS2 you can pretty much play all versions up to SN2 I think.

I'd still download ITG and play the original DDR songs with it.. =)
ITG PS2 is slow as hell and not worth playing unless you have it on HD Loader.