Author Topic: WELCOME TO ARSEHOLE TOUHOU.  (Read 19317 times)

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
Re: WELCOME TO ARSEHOLE TOUHOU.
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 05:12:32 AM »
All the little missing details and changes in basically every video point towards an original engine.
AFAIK, none of the original games are built to support the wide-screen format occasionally showcased in his works. It would be easier to write a rendering engine from scratch than using assembly hacks to force the game and all of its elements and data into an entirely new display mode, and make the transition to it so seamless as well.

The fluidity of all new effects and mechanics would be hard to do as a straight-up assembly hack; I'd think there's a high-level programming language behind them instead. I was always under the impression he'd written a danmaku engine of his own and simply modifies the source as needed for his projects. Can't really say I have any sources to back me up though. ;)

Latest works
The Strongest

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 09:35:34 PM »
The fluidity of all new effects and mechanics would be hard to do as a straight-up assembly hack; I'd think there's a high-level programming language behind them instead. I was always under the impression he'd written a danmaku engine of his own and simply modifies the source as needed for his projects. Can't really say I have any sources to back me up though. ;)

I am also curious to know how he create these awesome videos. For me he was using danmakufuu or other engine to create them.

Did yuke made the [Touhou ?El Shaddai] series too? These videos are hilarious but they have more focus on dialog parts in the place of only focusing the gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHTX-41zJUc&feature=related
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 10:12:50 PM »
He made the El Shaddai ones, I think. And he is most certainly not using Danmakufu (It'd take a LOT of time and effort to get Danmakufu to run with those mechanics.)

Also, he's done works with all the games, so I think that if he made his own engine, it's only used in his major projects (The Wide screen one, etc.). I doubt that he made his own engine to show Icicle Fall with one ring of extra bullets in it.

Also, he used the same spellcards in his Danmaku Tutorial and in Unreasonable Mechanism, and I doubt that he'd completely rescript his code, so he's most definitely using the same script language for all of his major projects.

Drake

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 12:34:13 AM »
I'm guessing you missed the part in Icicle Fall where the Reimu and shot sprites are modern and the Cirno sprite is modern and the health bar and timer and capture status are modern and the cutins are modern and the spell circle is modern and the bubble bullets don't spin and the background isn't actually the normal background and the spell circle doesn't actually behave like the modern spell circle and Reimu isn't actually using an existing shot type. Sorry if I notice these things. I doubt that if you had your own Touhou-like engine ready to go, that you would ever even bother fiddling around with games at all rather than doing it the easy way that you're already familiar with, never mind fiddling with each game individually.

Did yuke made the [Touhou ?El Shaddai] series too? These videos are hilarious but they have more focus on dialog parts in the place of only focusing the gameplay.
You're missing out. They're mostly hilarious because of the dialogue.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Mew seeker

• Find things
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 03:11:45 AM »
I have checked the original video at nico nico douga to check the Japanese comment.
The video description say something like "I have tried to make a not too easy, too hard moderate stage.
A "usual person" (there probably a better translation) who never tried it challenged it."

Of course in the comments there's a lot of "Wait, what?!", "lol", "eeeeeeeehhh!?".
At the part with the fairies, there was some "Master Spark!?" and also "The fairies are horrible!" X D
When the player finally clear a part that killed him a lot, there is a lot of "Oooooooohhhh". ^^
Many people said "Wait, what!?" at the killing 1up as well as some mentioning it was homing.
At the end, when the player is killed the first time by the boss coming,
you can see him switching to the various game over options quickly.
The text at the bottom say :
"At this point, my friend started getting mad/crazy."
I'm not sure he will be his friend for long. X D

Anyway, during the Marisa fight, there was some comment about how it was pretty
and also a few comment about liking the BGM.
There was some comment saying "NULLITY". Maybe it's its name? You probably know better than me. ^^;
After many failed at temps against the Great Wall spellcard,
the video started to record at the beginning, the comments said stuff like "No way!" "He beat it?".
When it reached back the Great Wall spell card, some people said "Kita" (at last/it came).
When he finally cleared the stage, there was a lot of 888888888888888888888888888888
because seriously, the player was awesome. : )

Oh, now that I think about it the description for the last difficulty level, "Heaven Mode" basically say :
"UWAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!" X D

You can wish for anything!

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 04:06:23 AM »
Finally remembered where I heard the music in the video before.

Both the stage theme and the boss theme are from ZUN's Strange Works. The stage theme is 夢幻回廊 (Infinite Corridor) and the boss theme is 宵闇の魔術師 (Magician of the Twilight). Both songs can be downloaded at ZUN's site (the six songs at the bottom of the page).

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 12:14:55 PM »
You're missing out. They're mostly hilarious because of the dialogue.

I was trying to say that even with the gameplay action, the dialogues from the videos are also hilarious but my english sux  :V

The best line is when he says "Daijoubu da, mondai nai"  :P
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 12:54:47 PM »
He made the El Shaddai ones, I think. And he is most certainly not using Danmakufu (It'd take a LOT of time and effort to get Danmakufu to run with those mechanics.)

Also, he's done works with all the games, so I think that if he made his own engine, it's only used in his major projects (The Wide screen one, etc.). I doubt that he made his own engine to show Icicle Fall with one ring of extra bullets in it.

Also, he used the same spellcards in his Danmaku Tutorial and in Unreasonable Mechanism, and I doubt that he'd completely rescript his code, so he's most definitely using the same script language for all of his major projects.
1. Probably he uses a secret MotK's thread that contains all game's content, including sprites, title screens, fonts etc. (hee-hee)
2. Using this and ready touhou-like engine, it's not that hard to do all of this stuff. Much easier than write that engine. I'm writing one, so I know it.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 04:38:34 PM »
I think that Nullity thing is because that's what is says instead of nullify on the player/bomb area ... Wonder if he did that on purpose?

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 05:14:07 PM »
Finally remembered where I heard the music in the video before.

Both the stage theme and the boss theme are from ZUN's Strange Works. The stage theme is 夢幻回廊 (Infinite Corridor) and the boss theme is 宵闇の魔術師 (Magician of the Twilight). Both songs can be downloaded at ZUN's site (the six songs at the bottom of the page).
I downloaded those, but it doesn't play right at all.  I hear some instruments, but it doesn't actually sound anything like what's in the video...  Is there something I need to do with that .rcp file or whatever, or a special player I need to be using?
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 09:58:53 PM »
The themes sound pretty much the same using Quicktime7.

I don't know what to do with the .rcp files. Given that there isn't one for each (at least not in my download from his site), I'm assuming that the .mid and the .txt hold all the information you need.

P.S. @Drake: Sorry about all of the fuss about Yuke's engine. I really don't know anything about Windows programming, and I'm judging based off of the background graphics and how he used everything. I might be wrong, but I still doubt he created his own independent engine from scratch; at the very least, I think that he most definitely used part of ZUN's engines.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:01:07 PM by Sparen »

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2012, 12:23:03 AM »
I downloaded those, but it doesn't play right at all.  I hear some instruments, but it doesn't actually sound anything like what's in the video...  Is there something I need to do with that .rcp file or whatever, or a special player I need to be using?
It says right there on the web page, those files are written with the Roland SC-88Pro instrument, so they would only sound as intended with 88Pro hardware or sound font. The .RCP is just a MIDI file format favoured by Japanese musicians, so they are the same songs in .RCP format.

Sorry, I don't have the time to do the research. This is as far as I know. Given Touhou's fame, it's quite possible someone has recorded those songs using authentic hardware and uploaded them to the web, but whether you can find them is another issue.

The themes sound pretty much the same using Quicktime7.
Your QuickTime 7 probably just played the MIDI files with whatever default MIDI instrument your system has, and you may have something like Roland Canvas installed on your system (Windows themselves only come with a horrible General MIDI instrument; I have no idea about Macs), so the MIDI files come out better. Perhaps that's also how Yuke recorded his music for the video, as he doesn't necessarily have the authentic hardware either.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 12:49:29 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2012, 07:52:58 AM »
P.S. @Drake: Sorry about all of the fuss about Yuke's engine. I really don't know anything about Windows programming, and I'm judging based off of the background graphics and how he used everything. I might be wrong, but I still doubt he created his own independent engine from scratch; at the very least, I think that he most definitely used part of ZUN's engines.
It is easier to write a new engine than to rebuild ZUN's.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Palewolf

• バカ狼ですよ
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2012, 09:04:54 PM »
Sorry, I don't have the time to do the research. This is as far as I know. Given Touhou's fame, it's quite possible someone has recorded those songs using authentic hardware and uploaded them to the web, but whether you can find them is another issue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMIlpRZw09o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ9ungQ6i0Y
The songs on youtube.

Zork787

• Mami Mami Mamizou~
  • Her tail is so fluffy~
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2012, 11:38:54 AM »
Livestream Artstreams|Youtube
3DS Friend Code: 0748-2156-8970

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2012, 07:00:20 PM »

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2012, 08:23:14 PM »
i had a good laugh at that one vid where marisa's master spark instead hits her instead  :D