Author Topic: Win8/RT OS icon and descriptor?  (Read 10032 times)

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Win8/RT OS icon and descriptor?
« on: October 30, 2012, 03:29:44 PM »
I think this is the right place to place this post.

Now that Win8 is officially out, I've been seeing more of this popping up from Win8/RT-based posts, which seems a bit strange:

Of course the kernel is NT 6.2 technically, but if we call Win8 that we might as well retcon Vista and 7 as 6.0 and 6.1 respectively. :V

Wondering if we can give it a proper icon and a "Windows 8/RT" descriptor instead. For the icon I've put up an example that uses the current Microsoft logo.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Goldom

• Whee
Re: Win8/RT OS icon and descriptor?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 04:53:47 AM »
Fun as it is looking like I'm using Win 3.1 again, yeah, this would be nice. The current icon also is wider than all the others =(

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 07:51:47 PM »
Bleh, I was happy thinking that someone was using the Windows 95 yet :P
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 08:07:23 PM »
HA HA HA MOTK DOES NOT RECOGNIZE WINDOWS 8 AS A VALID OPERATING SYSTEM

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 08:13:54 PM »
HA HA HA MOTK DOES NOT RECOGNIZE WINDOWS 8 AS A VALID OPERATING SYSTEM
Then make it recognise it~
Just to ask how does MoTK recognise operating systems?

Edible

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 08:27:31 PM »

Any website can determine simple information about your PC, including OS and browser (among other things).  We just use a script to detect and display those icons by default.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 04:44:56 AM »
Then make it recognise it~
I think you missed the joke.

It detects Gentoo, it's good enough for me.   :justasplanned:

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 06:08:04 AM »
I still can't think of a concrete use for publicly displaying someone's OS and browser though, just for fun? (or some obscure admin purposes)
And I can't help but think there's something wrong with your png ms icon EP.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 06:48:16 AM »
Visitor stats, and figuring out specific browser/OS issues on a website.

Touhou Wiki got hits from Debian APT and Subversion.  Still wondering how that worked.

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 10:44:28 AM »
I still can't think of a concrete use for publicly displaying someone's OS and browser though, just for fun? (or some obscure admin purposes)

It is interesting to know what each user use, something like "ohhh he uses that Linux distro, soo cool".
Also you can blame who uses Internet Explorer  :V
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 11:27:27 AM »

Shaming nintendonut until he stops using IE 6.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 04:57:35 PM »
There's no actual purpose to it, it's strictly vanity.  All the info I would need for maintaining the site I get in access logs anyways.

You can turn off the icon display in your profile if you don't care for it.  There's an open membership group called No OS/Browser, just join it.  Mind you, it won't stop others from seeing your info, just stop the display of everyone's info on your end.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 05:24:53 PM »
Funny how it took about a month for activity to start here; I'd expected it to come within a few days of the OP. :V

Hm, seems all right here....anything particularly an issue on it?

Could've used the actual Win8 logo (angled and monochrome version of MS logo) but I thought the MS one would be easier to identify quickly at a glance.
Bad command or file name

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 01:04:28 AM »
Funny how it took about a month for activity to start here; I'd expected it to come within a few days of the OP. :V
Sometimes content doesn't click until a month later.

And nvm it was just me zoomed out of my browser a bit too much causing some weird effects to occur on the png.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 06:13:04 AM »
Hey it takes talent to be this lazy

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 08:06:25 PM »
Hey. :3

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 10:33:36 PM »
Curse you Windows 8 users! I shall hang on to Windows 7! (insert your typical OS whining/bitching here).

To be honest, I have no idea.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 07:12:52 PM »
Still stuck on XP, myself :/
Being 3 OS versions behind is so fun~

IE users are still the cancer that is killing the internet, tho, and I will never forgive them :colbert:
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 01:48:22 PM »
Still stuck on XP, myself :/
Being 3 OS versions behind is so fun~

IE users are still the cancer that is killing the internet, tho, and I will never forgive them :colbert:
Our company uses IE 9 and I am sure that you are probably pointing at the IE 5 and 6 users (mainly).

XP is fine OS except dramatic to reinstall (so slow). I wish I could upgrade 2 remaining PCs of mine to 7 but they have sucky memory. AFAIK, 7 requires quite some memory for just operating.

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 06:27:01 PM »
Vista/7/8 are memory hogs compared to XP. There's one PC with XP over here. I'm using 8 and I'd say it's pretty much the same thing as 7 except it starts up faster, has the cool store thing to download apps/games, but unfortunately needs third-party software to have a decent starter menu because metro sucks if you don't have touch. But with Start8 it becomes much more usable. It also can pause file transfers, but that's not very useful. :V

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 08:31:17 PM »
I'm using 8 and I'd say it's pretty much the same thing as 7....
Because technically it is just Win7 plus Modern UI ("Metro" got took down amid naming dispute), an ARM fork (WinRT), and under-the-hood improvements. :V

The stock installs kinda are hogs indeed - most of my 64-bit Win7 installs took 1.25GB of RAM on their own after installation. Though I must say that XP itself was rather resource-intensive back when it was launched, and the UI was criticised quite commonly. Gotta put things in perspective. :P

I find the Start Screen still quite useable with keyboard and mouse - simply type the name of the app you want and go. It's a hell of a lot better than the very similar, trackpad-heavy Launchpad in Mac OS X at least. :V
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:34:14 PM by Max⁇ Hyperkinetic Lagomorph »
Bad command or file name

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 09:54:49 PM »
I still played outside when Vista was about to be out, so I don't know... but XP is extremely light for our days. :V And yeah, I use the x64 version and it's a good hog, but I have 4GBs here on my laptop and I have no problems with memory at all, and most people probably use 8GB+ on their desktops.

And woah, I didn't know the search thing. :colonveeplusalpha: But the menu is still far worse than Win7's imo.... we can't even create shortcuts on the desktop from there.... but Start8 completely solved my problems. :3

I hope its store thing grows soon because most apps it currently have are quite useless for me. :V

Goldom

• Whee
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 01:54:25 AM »
Start8 is amazing. I installed it and got giddily happy about how usable my computer suddenly was and what geniuses Stardock were. Then I paused to reflect on how it's the exact same thing I already had on 7 and that this should not have to be a cause for celebration. But seriously, those guys deserve their $5 from every Windows 8 owner for managing to un-break the system, basic as it may be. That's on new laptop anyway, no way I'm bothering to upgrade from 7 on this desktop.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 12:45:30 PM »
but XP is extremely light for our days. :V
It's also extremely flawed and lacking for our days :V

Also I'm cool with Win8 showing as NT, I like the old logo :V
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 10:16:53 PM »
OK enough this is a bug report not a holy war :derp:

Edible

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 10:46:19 PM »
Requesting image of block of cheese for windows 8 icon.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 12:32:20 AM »
Denied, I like cheese

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 08:36:04 AM »
Denied, I like cheese
How about a donut?