Author Topic: Mod Power Abuse  (Read 16175 times)

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
Mod Power Abuse
« on: October 23, 2012, 02:06:35 AM »
So as some of you have probably noticed, my display name has been changing today.  This has not been by me.
No, it has been Edible doing it.

The first time was a joke, I accept that.  I changed it back, meaning I clearly didn't want it changed.
The second time was a breach of power.  I asked directly for him to stop.  He didn't.
The third time was just rude, I changed it back right before going to work.
I just got back to find it was changed again.  I am actually rather angry about that, I left 1 forum because the mods were abusing their power and I'd hate to depart from this one because someone thought it would be funny to repeatedly change my display name.

So changing it back and asking directly haven't worked.  Maybe posting here will make you to stop.

tl;dr Stop it Edible, it's not funny and it was never funny.

edit: so while I was typing this up he did it again.  That's 5 times too many.
edit2: 6.  Don't you have anything better to do?
edit3: What is wrong with you, changing my name 7 times, 6 after I've changed it back EVERY SINGLE TIME, and then adding something I can't change back.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Re: Mod Power Abuse
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 04:41:02 PM »
I will attempt to avoid having fun at your inconvenience in the future.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 05:27:09 PM »
Man, you had birthday powers and didn't take advantage of that? It would've totally been in your rights to run hog wild with that, if you ask me.

Ah well, missed opportunities.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 07:50:40 PM »
I will attempt to avoid having fun at your inconvenience in the future.
STOP HELEDIBLE

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 11:12:44 PM »
STOP HELEDIBLE

Some things never change I see
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 04:24:46 AM »

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 09:27:01 AM »
As punishment, Edible's avatar should be changed to this: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=jsokd4&s=6

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 08:29:46 PM »
As punishment, Edible's avatar should be changed to this: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=jsokd4&s=6

As punishment for suggesting that Edible change his perfect avatar, have some mod abuse karmic backlash.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 04:52:01 PM »
It kind of stops being funny for everyone when the guy getting messed with wants it to stop. shouldn't it?

There's "taking a joke" then there's "taking a joke too far".
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 07:28:15 PM »
It kind of stops being funny for everyone when the guy getting messed with wants it to stop. shouldn't it?

I'm with you on this matter here. I would like to point out that being here for a long time, I know there are times where I see when some of the members joke around. But like some there are some people that don't like it at all. I mean if there was something that I took offesnse to. I would of done the same thing the first few steps that I have No Name did, however, in my case, if I kept having this problem occur, I would have contacted the higher ups.

So personally I would like to see the moderation on here have some degree of regulation. Sure we can have fun, but the one thing I always want to see here is the moderators also respect the members of the board.

After all, everyone here, adminstator, moderators, members and the like are people, and just because the higher ups have more power, doesn't mean they should abuse it if the member in question doesn't like it. This why I believe that one should have fun and respect. Because afterall, we're people, we have feelings.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

Edible

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 08:01:46 PM »
If we didn't respect the members of the board I would have force-set IHNN's name or something else relatively sinister and not easily fixable, but because he asked really nicely (and because we do enjoy you guys, otherwise we wouldn't be paying for the site) I stopped after I noticed this topic.

It would be best to not make mountains out of molehills, hm?

I would of done the same thing the first few steps that I have No Name did, however, in my case, if I kept having this problem occur, I would have contacted the higher ups.

I think the issue here is that I am the higher up <_<;

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 08:10:03 PM »
Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God. (Or in this case, Ediblbl)

Edible

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 08:10:59 PM »

Tengukami

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 08:13:22 PM »
just because the higher ups have more power, doesn't mean they should abuse it if the member in question doesn't like it. This why I believe that one should have fun and respect. Because afterall, we're people, we have feelings.

Just to keep things in perspective here, Edible changed his user name a few times. Maybe he ought to have stopped when asked, but he didn't pour sugar in his gas tank while calling his mom names. Which leads me to this:

So personally I would like to see the moderation on here have some degree of regulation.

Can you point to any examples of moderator behavior in need of regulation? Because from my end, what I see is endless debate and head-scratching over the most minor of mod actions.

If you think the mods are running around terrorizing the user base here, let me ask: do you remember "snowball challenges"?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 08:55:57 PM »
I think the issue here is that I am the higher up <_<;

Agreed though I still still see Helvetica and 7hs as the higher ups (I'm an old fart who has been around these boards since the very FIRST MotK board <the one that got taken by a domain squatter>)

I did go into a semi lurk state for a year or two until the Hitoshi Mizuki event (what inspired me to come back)

If you think the mods are running around terrorizing the user base here, let me ask: do you remember "snowball challenges"?

I suppose I can be picky, but thankfully I understand it better than it use to be. (It's funny I wasn't aware of the snowball challenge till a researched it now. How frightening! And Mint did this?)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:58:34 PM by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 08:57:22 PM »
Someone is going to have to explain what a snowball challenge is to me. Search doesn't bring up anything.

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 09:15:16 PM »
IIRC if you did something bad, then you'd have to do something ridiculously annoying (like writing 2000+ word essays) to fulfil the mod's whims in order to get your privileges back.

Tengukami

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 09:49:10 PM »
IIRC if you did something bad, then you'd have to do something ridiculously annoying (like writing 2000+ word essays) to fulfil the mod's whims in order to get your privileges back.

That was just one of many, many things you could be made to do - and not just to get privileges back, but to prevent probation or banning.

And Snowball Challenges often led to great things. When one particularly obnoxious user here a few years ago was given the Snowball Challenge to write a Touhou fanfic, with himself as the MC getting shot down in flames by every girl in Gensokyo, he declined and was banned. BUT ... good ol' Apotheosis (who I miss dearly) stepped up in a major way.

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 09:52:25 PM »
BUT ... good ol' Apotheosis (who I miss dearly) stepped up in a major way.
Man I feel bad for letting that VN project fall through. I still have all the files though so maybe I'll go back to it someday. And if I do it would be purely for this fic.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 01:51:29 AM »
Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God. (Or in this case, Ediblbl)
You rang?

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 04:09:04 AM »
That was just one of many, many things you could be made to do - and not just to get privileges back, but to prevent probation or banning.

And Snowball Challenges often led to great things. When one particularly obnoxious user here a few years ago was given the Snowball Challenge to write a Touhou fanfic, with himself as the MC getting shot down in flames by every girl in Gensokyo, he declined and was banned. BUT ... good ol' Apotheosis (who I miss dearly) stepped up in a major way.

I don't think he declined, I think he just made one that was pathetic and not-even-trying.

Tengukami

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 04:44:00 AM »
Looking at the offender in question's post history, I'm not seeing such an attempt, so if it were made, it was so bad that it was deleted. IIRC he never posted anything, on account of it being like his fourth  bandodge.

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 05:14:14 AM »
Looking at the offender in question's post history, I'm not seeing such an attempt, so if it were made, it was so bad that it was deleted. IIRC he never posted anything, on account of it being like his fourth  bandodge.

Background Janitor Man, AWAY! (NSFW)

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 08:38:11 AM »
(It's funny I wasn't aware of the snowball challenge till a researched it now. How frightening! And Mint did this?)

yes it was

i agree with this but i'm not entirely sure random name-changes of the non-malignant nature should be entirely construed as malicious attacks on the user's psyche and thus be construed as "terrorism of users."

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Drake

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 09:44:05 AM »
repeated changing of someone's username as a joke at their expense is:
- still a joke regardless
- not permanent
- a relatively minor issue
- spiteful
- annoying
- worth getting higher-ups involved

is not:
- taking it too far
- malicious
- traumatizing
- worth leaving a forum over
- worth getting upset over
- requiring of extensive criticism and/or discussion of moderator practices/regulation

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Tengukami

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 10:45:51 AM »
Background Janitor Man, AWAY! (NSFW)

Ah of course, that POS story. Made the mistake of checking the posting history of his last alt, not his second or third one.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 04:15:10 AM »
- annoying

You called a mod annoying consider this your final warning

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2012, 10:27:25 AM »
- still a joke regardless
- not permanent
- a relatively minor issue
- spiteful
- annoying
- worth getting higher-ups involved

is not:
- taking it too far
- malicious
- traumatizing
- worth leaving a forum over
- worth getting upset over
- requiring of extensive criticism and/or discussion of moderator practices/regulation
Your mom smells

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Tengukami

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2012, 12:00:23 PM »
- spiteful

REPORTED FOR: Mod sass.
RECOMMENDED ACTION: 72 hours probation, change of user name.

Drake

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2012, 06:52:17 PM »
nerd

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -