Author Topic: I need a keyboard or something  (Read 10749 times)

Zil

Re: I need a keyboard or something
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 05:14:33 PM »
Well, I figured I'd give controllers a fair chance, so I got my PS3 controller working and jumped into PCB Extra. Just a plain run, no fancy tricks.

Got through the stage well enough, and quickly noticed that it was a thousand timed easier to micro-tap. Whether that's a true advantage of the controller or it just seems that way since my keyboard's so crappy, I can't say.  I ended up using some bombs on the post-Chen part because I tried auto collect and screwed myself over, but otherwise dodged everything. "Perfected" Ran up to Ultimate Buddhist, where I died by accidentally unfocusing. (And maybe I broke a border to Charming Seige; not sure.) Then the survival killed me because I tapped the button and didn't move far enough. (That's a first.) I kinda goofed off on the final spell and forgot to safespot it, so that was a trainwreck of sorts. Here's the replay, for anyone who gives a crap.

So anyway, that was pretty interesting. I think I might have to postpone buying a new keyboard until after I've played around with this some more, as I think it's worth looking into. There was a certain sense of "control," however clouded over it may have been by inexperience. Definitely going to work with this a bit.

And I guess I may as well ask, since I doubt a basic PS3 controller is very cutting edge, just what kinds of controllers are best? And to those of you who use them, Ranko and Jaimers I guess, which buttons have you mapped to which keys? I guess that's a matter of preference really, but I'm just curious.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 05:16:23 PM by Zil »

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 06:15:48 PM »
I use a Horipad EX2 Turbo. This thing has about the best D-pad on the market.
It addition it also works for the Xbox so it's pretty ideal as you can use it for both PC and 360 shmups. It also comes with a built-in autofire function which is pretty useful for some 360 games like Pink Sweets.

As for keys I use:
Right Trigger - Shot / Autofire
A button        - Focus
B button        - Bomb
X button        - Freeze, Trance, Hyper, whatever
Y button        - Skip
Start button - Pause

Maybe Left Trigger is better than X but I dunno.
Seeing as your thumb is mostly on A, with B being so close to A you'll be able to bomb pretty fast if you need to.

PS3 controller is interesting. I remember Sapz struggling a lot with the PS2 controller when he played Mushihimesama on the PS2 and he uses the same controller as I do.
Not sure if the PS3 controller is different but it's still worth noting.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:23:46 PM by Jaimers »

Ranko Hoshino

• ゆっくりしていってね!!!
  • Take it easy!
    • Ranko's Gaming Blog
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 06:28:32 PM »
Here's info to go with my SNES controller layout.

A button = Shot
B button = Bomb
X button = Focus, except for PoFV
Y button = Skip
R button = PoFV focus/GFW Ice/TD Trance

It seems to work for me pretty well. SNES controllers are pretty fun, in my opinion. :3
Currently needing to do more Touhou stuff
My Touhou Replays
IN Yukari Spell Practice: 218/222
Chat with me, maybe?: https://discord.gg/0bbmWG5ankaeyTzH

SuccinctAndPunchy

• Fear The Melon!
  • I would murder all of you for a cup of tea.
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2012, 07:13:38 PM »
I play using a standard PS2 controller hooked up via USB bridge. I think this a decent choice since PS2 pads and the corresponding adapters are non-expensive.

Comfy d-pad and it's the controller I've used throughout most of my life, so I'm fairly used to it. I could never play with a keyboard, but this is mostly just a matter of preference. You're used to a keyboard, the switch probably won't do you a lot of good and you'd have a fairly painful adjustment period to consider.Shit you're a fast learner.

I would imagine a lot of people are down on gamepads because the obvious first choice of gamepad is a 360 controller since it plugs straight in. Do not, under any circumstances do that. 360 pads have the worst fuckin d-pad I've ever seen and I would avoid analogue sticks like the plague. Terrible, blegh.

But yeah, you're used to a keyboard, so just buy any decent USB keyboard and you'll be fine. You really don't need to drop much money on a gaming keyboard, I've never seen much point in the first place but for Touhou, you probably won't gain much.

If you're interested in going the controller route, I'd just pick any controller you've used a decent amount before that feels good in your hands. And isn't an Xbox 360 controller, you ain't doing shit with that thing.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:17:40 PM by GamingAwesome1 »

Zil

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 07:48:40 PM »
May as well say what I've been using.

Square Button - Shot
Right Trigger - Bomb
Left Trigger - Focus
Circle Button - Skip
Start Button - Pause

Didn't make any consideration for freezing and other strange stuff, but I'd probably use the "other" right trigger.

And, uh, holy crap. I just did some more runs with this controller. It's pretty hard to use because the buttons are super stiff, and the d-pad is all spaced out. Regardless, I think I'm getting the feeling that this is better than a keyboard. Just feels simpler and faster, and shooting quickly in PoDD is so much easier. In fact, I think I'm going to go ahead and get one of those Horipad things, seeing as I hope to play some shmups on the Xbox at some point anyway. Still not -completely- sure, but I think I may very well switch over to using controllers from now on.  (And using a SNES controller is just cool beans. I'll have to try that some day.)

Anyway, thanks for the comments guys. I almost didn't bother trying this, and now I'm regretting that it took me this long to get around to it. :V

fake edit: Just saw you're comment GamingAwesome. So... yeah, I guess I am gonna try to switch over. :V
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:50:26 PM by Zil »

Ranko Hoshino

• ゆっくりしていってね!!!
  • Take it easy!
    • Ranko's Gaming Blog
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012, 02:31:16 AM »
You're most certainly welcome. Hopefully the switch over will go well for you, Zil. Do try a SNES controller at some point, because it'd pretty great. :D
Currently needing to do more Touhou stuff
My Touhou Replays
IN Yukari Spell Practice: 218/222
Chat with me, maybe?: https://discord.gg/0bbmWG5ankaeyTzH

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 06:39:53 AM »
I don't really have much experience with controllers (at least not for shmups) so I can't say anything from experience here, but I've heard good things about Saturn pads if you're still looking for suggestions.  Getting one that also works with a 360 would likely be a DIY job though, so a horipad might be a bit more practical there.