Author Topic: Acceleration of Patchouli - Music  (Read 4140 times)

HGH

Acceleration of Patchouli - Music
« on: October 14, 2012, 05:17:56 PM »
I recently found a game called Acceleration of Patchouli, downloadable for free of its creator's website. However, while trying to play, I seem to get absolutely no music, no matter how I alter the configurations. Sound effects do play, whether in-game or in menus. I'm using the Windows 7 version, and am wondering if it's possible for anyone to help me with this odd issue? Any help would be appreciated.

I'd also like explanations about the controls and mechanics, if at all possible. Running through the tutorial wasn't very helpful.

Momiji

• Cya
Re: Acceleration of Patchouli - Music
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 01:34:20 AM »
They have a zip file with a Win7 compatible binary (patchouli_BGMdel.zip) along with the music archive (patchouli_mp3.zip), they're the next two links below the main program download link.

I haven't played it yet, but I'm going to assume it's similar to Acceleration of Suguri.

HGH

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 11:07:39 PM »
Pretty much.

I actually couldn't run the game at all without downloading the first zip file. And I already did download the music folder. It said to copy its content into the game's MP3 folder, but that didn't do anything at all. I wish I could read the geocities site since it seems to address this issue, but it's all a garbled mess for me so I can't put it through googletranslate.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 03:59:17 AM »
You have to set the character set of the website to EUC-JP, they don't actually declare what it is in the HTML like they should.

HGH

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 04:39:26 PM »
Not sure how to do that, but I eventually managed to get it translated.
Turns out, there is no fix. Music simply isn't compatible with Windows 7. Sorry to have bothered you with this thread, please feel free to lock it.

Arcorann

• hey catgirl
  • Surprisingly unkempt
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 01:07:58 AM »
Don't lock this thread yet! I have a theory. Could you please reinstall the game and then install only the BGM files, not the other patch?

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 02:15:30 AM »
I got the game to test it out too. On Windows 7, the game is impossible to run without the Windows 7 binaries. It simply doesn't launch and you have to close out the programs from the task manager. So the new executables are necessary. I haven't been able to get the music going either, only the sound effects play.

EDIT: Been at this for a while, and I conclude with HGH. It just simply doesn't work on Windows 7. I've tried various methods, from different configs, to compatibility settings (including a batch file), to putting the music files virtually everywhere in the main folder, and nothing works. Game runs fine, but music isn't existent. It's either bad coding on the creator's part, or they're using a music library that is now outdated by Windows 7's standards. Either way, the only solution is a fix by the creator, really. Not much else we can do, unless someone else learns otherwise.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:03:39 AM by Agent of the BSoD »
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Arcorann

• hey catgirl
  • Surprisingly unkempt
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 11:16:57 AM »
Did you actually get the game running without the patch? Seeing as disabling music is the point of the patch, if you're trying to get it working with it on you're wasting your time.

I've tested this on my Vista machine. Here's what I've found:
* Running as administrator was needed to start the game.
* Initially music didn't work. When I went to the in-game options and changed music to "mp3" the music started working on most of the stages (cloud stage's BGM is inexplicably absent).

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 03:21:26 PM »
Yeah, I've tried doing it without the patch. The non-Windows 7 ones simply don't launch, no matter what I do with them. (only thing they do is sit as an active process in task manager that don't do anything after that) Compatibility mode, administrator... nothing.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

HGH

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 08:34:13 PM »
Yeah, I've tried doing it without the patch. The non-Windows 7 ones simply don't launch, no matter what I do with them. (only thing they do is sit as an active process in task manager that don't do anything after that) Compatibility mode, administrator... nothing.

Same here. Absolutely no effect, whatever I try.

Did you actually get the game running without the patch? Seeing as disabling music is the point of the patch, if you're trying to get it working with it on you're wasting your time.

I've tested this on my Vista machine. Here's what I've found:
* Running as administrator was needed to start the game.
* Initially music didn't work. When I went to the in-game options and changed music to "mp3" the music started working on most of the stages (cloud stage's BGM is inexplicably absent).
Thanks for the help, but I'm guessing the fact that you're running Vista is what made it work. I don't have any other OS than Windows 7, so I guess I'll make due. I'll just play the music MP3s alongside the game.