Author Topic: Touhou Hoodies  (Read 17616 times)

Touhou Hoodies
« on: October 05, 2012, 07:23:38 AM »
Ok. So I've been working on and off on these jackets for a while now.  I am not quite sure if it is Cosplay related, but it is technically not Cosplay ^^.

I've been working on it more often these few months. What do you guys think?

*probably polish reimu's bow with vinyl transfer for a bolder zig zag*

I am looking to make like 30 of each to sell. I need your guy's honest opinion and criticism. The designs are 90% done, besides polish. I am not here to peddle these items (yet) lol. Don't be nice for my feelings =P. It'll save me a lot of work and money if not many people like.

The fabric that was used was cotton/polyester sweatshirt fleece. However, I might change to a thinner and/or stretchy fabric that would be more comfortable/fitting (anyone have suggestions on fabric and where to get in sufficient quantities (60 yards for 30 jackets or so) and not overly expensive @_@).

My goal is
-subtle enough to wear in public, especially outside asia.
-other fans getting the reference, hopefully.
-something to wear that is inbetween that overpriced shirt with your favorite waifu image on it and going all out cosplaying your waifu.

I have a site almost up, http://marginofero.com/. I just have samples, not ready to sell yet.

A lot or most  people say its cute... but I am not sure if people were being polite or didn't want to hurt my feelings. Or perhaps I didn't ask enough Touhou fans.

I actually got some long, harsh criticism from a friend's sister (who is a touhou fan). It actually hurts, as criticism should. So I figure I should ask many more touhou fans. I am already a bit stressed because I am searching for new fabric to redo all the designs. Usually the fabric I want is too overpriced like 10-14USD a yard OR I find one color, but I cant find another color of the same fabric. 10-14 USD times 2 yards is like 20-28 USD on fabric. Plus labour.. it sucks for both me and whoever may be interested in buying.

I have no prior experience in fashion design or much sewing skills. My mom helps me with the more complicated portions and serging ^^. I was a biology major that, near the end, felt that biology was kinda boring and not fun. I originally wanted to do touhou wall graphics, but I figure there would be legal issues. Like plaster your wall with touhou bullets lol (anyone else like that idea?). But yeah, I don't quite sure know what to do in life. This is just one path I've been exploring.

Thanks for your time in input and/or reading this.

Margin of Ero

------

Haha. Been a while since I've been on this forum or any other touhou related forum

edit*Also, say if you are male or female. It helps with gathering data. Some have already hinted or implied at his or her gender. Thanks ^^*
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 09:29:21 PM by alucard13mmfmj »

Drake

Re: Touhou Hoodies
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 07:41:23 AM »
Oh wow. Marisa is fantastic. If I were a girl I'd buy that on the spot. Good job.

The Reimu one is a bit iffy. I can't quite pin down what I don't like about it, but it seems off, somehow. I'll come back to this later. (Actually I think the best picture of this is the sample on the site)

Yukari's is pretty good too, but I think the main purple section should have something on the collar. Yukari has another small red bow, I think, but a red line around the collar might work. Perhaps a slightly more pronounced purple color.

And you seem to have done it. I often criticize game and anime shirts for being way too blatant and essentially making them unable to wear in public, but these are pulled off pretty well, especially Marisa.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:44:11 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 07:19:03 PM »
> still trying to hide your waifupowerlevels
These are quite cute, would need to be more subtle for male patterns for all three if I am gonna wear it. I am gonna get myself a BRS hoodie soon so I think part of the solution to getting more sales (especially since Touhou/waifu material tend to lean towards a male audience) these hoodies should also have a more neutral state to it.
One idea though: maybe the alternate costume of Yukari (the one that looks like a cheongsam) would go well with the hoodie design. the purple is a bit plain.

I can see fantastic ideas going into these and guaranteed sellouts may be for Lily White inspired design (it is clean and simple and appealing) or maybe Minoriko's color profile. Nue would also make a fantastic addition if you gonna keep making these.
ahhh... if only there are more people like me who go out in waifu shirts and proud of it because face it: I make more money than you and thats why I can afford this kinda hobby.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 07:45:05 PM »
Oh god they are amazing. 5 stars out of 5 for the Marisa one. I agree with Drake Reimu's one is a bit off but still really great. GJ.
Dammit I want to wear them but I'm a boy so I'll probably get bullied for it :qq:

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:39:08 PM »
Thanks for input.

Seems some people (other forums/facebook) suggests I put frilly thingies  or ruffles on the cuffs or  neckline area for Yukari.

Some does agree that Reimu seems off, maybe bow placement. Bow if its on top is a bit heavy and might be too "attention getting". I might place the bow at the  bottom at the waist area. Or I might make the bow smaller to try putting it on top of the hood.

Seems a lot of people like marisa. Although at same time a lot of people say it doesn't really immediately remind you of Marisa or it is too subtle.

------

Guy or unisex designs are a bit harder since the characters are girls and have all those frilly things and bows lol. Unfortunately, I do believe that there are probably more male touhou fans than female touhou fans. My skills are limited and I get the pattern for the basic jacket design *without the add-ons and customization* from an existing jacket.

Is anyone a pro at painting or printing patterns on fabric in a cheap or fast or long lasting way? lol. 

So most of ya'll are guys here? ^^;; lol.

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 09:50:07 PM »
Does ruffles = frills? I heard that they are really hard to do.

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 10:07:24 PM »

Not sure. people just say frills. I imagine people are interchanging the terms ruffles and frills and mean the same thing. I'll probably go with ruffles and see if it is good. hehe.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 10:32:15 PM »
Oh wow. Marisa is fantastic. If I were a girl I'd buy that on the spot. Good job.
I am a girl and I want to buy this on the spot :V  On the other hand I am a small-to-average size American lady which means I probably wouldn't fit into anything designed for tiny Asian girls  :ohdear:  The only thing I can really say for the Marisa one is if you can get pure-white drawstrings that'd be best, since the cream/yellow color makes them look dirty compared to the bows.  You also can attach them in a slightly more elegant way, maybe stitch the strings directly to the bows to keep them always upright.  Might need to do that by hand though.

As for the other two...
Reimu is just too short in my opinion, it's kind of hard to tell in the picture, but it looks like it is hitting the model at the belly button which is not flattering to most (certainly wouldn't be on me!)    If it was longer like the Marisa hoodie is you'd have more options where to do the color blocking, which is what I think makes it look "off" at a glance. I get the reasoning behind short sleeves, but it's not something I would personally buy myself. The back bow is too much like others said, but I'm not sure what the best alternative would be.  You can use white rick-rack for the zigzags, which you can stitch directly onto the fleece!

I also really dig the Yukari.  I love the hidden gap pocket, and the bows look super cute on it.  I can see the sleeves as purple too, but my husband thinks the white looks totally fine so ~who knows~  And maybe needs a little something more in the front to accent it, not sure what.  Or maybe a drawstring + bows similar to Marisa, just for some extra flair.

Now I kind of want to sew a subtly nerdy hoodie for myself :3

You can buy pre-made ruffle trim, I've used it on my own Touhou cosplays since it makes it so much easier, but it would be a different fiber than the fleece if that is a concern.

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 10:40:48 PM »
Oh wow those are absolutely gorgeous. I'm tempted to buy one even though I'm a guy. It's really amazing. As mentioned earlier, it's subtle enough for it to be wore in public, yet looks amazing.

Any plans for other character hoodies or male hoodies?

pineyappled

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 10:43:35 PM »
The Marisa one looks great, although the bows at the ends of the whatsits is a bit strange.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 12:24:10 AM »
I wouldn't say I am a guy but I am pretty sure I have 'it'. But nonetheless I am a hoarder (or is close to being one) so I just might buy it once you have it. (dunno what I'd do with it maybe sell it again or something)
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 12:56:43 AM »
@sǝןbuɐıɹʇ I wish I bought several sizes of the jacket. Because I took an existing jacket apart and made pattern/template to create my own style. I will attempt to make maybe a medium size if the current one styles are successful. I used a yellow drawstring because that is the color of marisa's hair ^^. Sometimes she has small white bows around like the side bangs of her hair. I'll probably have to google on how to create different sizes hhehe for clothing.

For the zigzag I am still experimenting with vinyl transfers for speed and quality. I'll look into white rick-rack, thanks for the suggestion. I think I've seen them during my excursions to downtown LA fabric district and various chain fabric stores, but I didn't get them because it wasn't VVVVVVV but  curvy corners. The current way of sewing using zig zag stitch is probably not satisfactory and was a shortcut.

I had to google what color blocking mean. I have no experience in fashion before. Good to learn new things. maybe longer and internal pockets.

@Ikari  It seems I am in a pickle if female touhou fans are a minority lol. I do plan on other characters from various anime. Male hoodies, I will have to think long, hard and be extra creative lol. I might have to make male soon since there are more guys than girls that like touhou or possibly anime in general. I have other touhou characters being designed, but I have not fleshed them or even attempted to find fabrics for those until I get yukari, reimu, marisa right ^^.

@kinoko Some people find the marisa too plain or too subtle. Taking off one thing might make it even more plain/subtle. hahaha.

@Siri Cool. More the reason to make them better ^^.

koakoa

• Little Demoness
  • A lonely little assistant traversing this realm
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 01:25:36 AM »
They're all awesome (especially the Marisa one), but I feel they may be a tad bit TOO subtle (specifically the Marisa one).

Although, being female, there's a decent chance I will buy one depending on their final cost.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 01:28:08 AM by koakoa »
(◕‿◕✿)

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 01:48:46 AM »
@koakoa Yeah. That is a problem lol.  I have to balance it so it is not too subtle ornot  too outside the norm of public wear lol.  I find it interesting that you said the Marisa one is awesome, but the most  subtle. Pricing, I havnt worked it out yet. I hope to keep it below 60 USD, preferably around 36-48 for each design.  I pretty much will be doing these one by one with 1 other person doing the more complicated parts. So you can imagine how it'll take some time to make each jacket (about 2 hours of man power cutting and sewing). I never had experience with sewing contractors and I dont think Zun would like it either. I dont know when they'll be ready for sale either. I've been working on them on and off for half a year (lotta distractions). Only working on them more often now.  I think once I find the right fabric and in sufficient quantities or source, I will get it rolling almost instantly.  Thanks

------

Edit* For the Marisa Jacket I might as well put ruffles before the bottom of the jacket where the white and black meet and make the jacket a short sleeve lol. Maybe ruffles on the edges of the short sleeve and on the edge of the hood @_@. possibly. 

-----

maybe I can turn the yukari jacket into male.. just without the bows @_@. I would probably still put some red color on it, probably on the hood.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 01:55:25 AM by alucard13mmfmj »

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 10:33:55 AM »
I'm a guy, still want the Marisa hoodie. Reserve one for me if you ever get to this. No joke.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 06:54:11 PM »
@amra. lol what u gonna do with it? o.o.
-----
itll be 2days - 2 weeks before i have updated versions to post.

lol XD.. i live in california so gas is expensive like 4.75USD/gallon. The fabric district is like 30+miles away (1 way). Plus parking costs money too =p. I only go like once every week or three weeks. I just went 2 days ago, I bought some thinner/stretchy fabric (possibly too thin and stretchy so overall look may change and button holes might be problem). I stayed there for a couple of hours. I'd stay longer but my mom came with me XD... She advises me on what fabric wont work or not work to the best of her knowledge. Local stores like joann are overpriced and have limited selections! like 14 dollar a yard for knits. lol I am trying to aim for less than 8 dollar a yard.

I did buy some red drawstrings (orin jacket) and black drawstings while I was there. 2-3 yards of purple,white,red.

I need a job to fund these trips. gg

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 08:35:52 PM »
I am in love with the Marisa one, and would love to purchase one as soon as you decide to sell them publicly as soon as I get the money.  :V

The Reimu one is cute, but I think the sleeves should be longer. I do agree that it is a bit short, and even though I'm small I like sweaters to be oversized.

Love the Yukari one too, the hood and pocket are absolutely adorable. Maybe add a red something around the collar for the ribbon. I'd definitely buy it if it was of her IaMP/IN/SWR dress.

Overall, wonderful job! Do you plan on making others for different characters? I'm a girl, by the way.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 12:47:52 AM »
I am so buying one even though I'm a guy >_> I don't care how ambiguously female I'll look (I already have longer hair than most guys, so xD) wearing any of those 3 hoodies would make me ecstatic! :*

Jam-Kiske

• i am not witty
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 02:15:04 AM »
Hey I'm actually a girl!

I like the Marisa one a lot, though you should attach the bows to the strings in a different way... I have no better suggestions. I like that one the most because it looks really different from any sort of hoodie and is really cute~ While making it short sleeved might fit Marisa's design better, a short sleeved hoodie just seems silly and impractical.

On that note, the sleeves on the Reimu one are cute since they imitate her miko sleeves. I think it's cute and very different from your standard hoodie as well, though I'd probably get rid of that bit bow on the back cuz it's just... too much.... maybe a smaller bow on the side of the hood or something would work? It's not as close to what Reimu has, but it would be better for practicality I think.

I like the Yukari one, though I feel the front is really plain. Maybe add some white zig zags or frills or something? The gap pocket is really cute, but that's really the only innovative thing about that one.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 02:25:10 AM »
I like the Yukari one, though I feel the front is really plain. Maybe add some white zig zags or frills or something? The gap pocket is really cute, but that's really the only innovative thing about that one.

I agree, it's kind of plain...

As a start, I suggest putting the infamous red ribbons Yukari's gaps have on each side of the gap pocket. (I'm talking about these kinds of ribbons: http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2010/184/0/e/Yukari_Yakumo_by_tafuto001.jpg )

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 08:20:46 AM »
Wear it, obviously! I can make adjustments to make it more manly. If I care. or I can dress my sisters in it.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 09:56:05 AM »
Hooded sweaters' utility is to be kept warm, but the Red-White one's sleeves lack in this.  If you choose to have the sleeves remain baggy, keep in mind that they can get in the way when using your hands.  Also, the back is kinda plain, except for the fairly ridiculous bow. Maybe a Yin-Yang design? It wouldn't adhere to canon design, but not sure if that matters much.  A number of people are saying something looks off; wondering if a bit of yellow (in lieu of an actual bow) could remedy that.

The Gap Hag's design is very minimal.  Difficult to say anything concrete.  Would it difficult to add the same pocket-gap design to the interior of the hood?

The only concern about the Thief's is the bow on the hood. Make sure it's not too heavy to lopside the hood, but sewn tightly enough so it won't come off with even moderate use.
Otherwise, it's a solid design.  Maybe the color scheme makes it easy.

Aside: You're doing quite a creative feat here. Great job. Also, I feel your pain at the pumps.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 07:40:25 PM »
I did buy some red drawstrings (orin jacket)
Yes please!

I would rock that Marisa jacket. I also really like the Yukari one, for the pocket-gap design.

C27

• Byronic Commando
  • Tactical danmaku operator
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 12:00:16 AM »
Hohohoho, nice work!

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 04:10:37 AM »
My goal is
-other fans getting the reference, hopefully.
-something to wear that is inbetween that overpriced shirt with your favorite waifu image on it and going all out cosplaying your waifu.
Love it. I'd say one thing that makes this stuff so appealing to me is that I don't like spending money on things that aren't practical, like figures and such, so I would totally consider buying something like this.
The Marisa and Yukari one, only if they are warm. I'd have no shame wearing a bow if it means I'm cozy (although a lack of bow might make it more appealing). The Reimu one, I would not buy just because the sleeveless thing doesn't make sense to me.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 04:17:43 AM »
The Reimu one, I would not buy just because the sleeveless thing doesn't make sense to me.

Well, I think removing the sleeveless thing part would take away the Reimu charm of it.

I have a few friends who wear hoodies simply for the look of them, and not for the warmness, so I don't think it's such a bad idea.

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2012, 10:02:08 PM »
I love this idea, especially the Marisa hoodie. I could probably get away with wearing it, look forward to when you release some of them, definitely would buy :3

Just maybe without the bow so I can get away with wearing it in public lol, cuz I'm a guy.

I have another friend that's into Touhou, I showed it to her and she really wants one now lol 

I think what you should do is that if you're having 30 of each, maybe have different versions, maybe like A and B, for a total of 6. just my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 12:30:48 AM by gammaraptor »

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 03:09:03 AM »
The Marisa one is really nice, I'm a girl and would snap it up if it was for sale :v

To me the Reimu one's power level is a tad high... Probably would only wear it to cons or so.. And the Yukari one seems a little plain, though I really like the gap

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!
  • TRIGGER WARNING : #2handsome5casuls
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 07:02:08 AM »
CAN I BUY THE MARISA ONE (although now that i've noticed, two ribbons on the...those...strings(?) might be a bit too much (one is enough?)

how possible would it be to ...commission you for a specific toho jacket? (i have some designs in mind...!)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:55:17 PM by venappo »
Distasteful Tater Elites 1st division

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 07:57:07 AM »
I would definitely buy one if you made one for me.  :D  It'd need maple leaves.  And ears.  And lots of mofu.