Author Topic: New official manga announced, "Forbidden Scrollery"  (Read 87276 times)

AnonymousPondScum

Re: New official manga announced, "Forbidden Scrollery"
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2012, 06:31:15 AM »
* Stealthy Shooty STALKER eagerly awaits her addition to the create.swf roster

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2012, 07:15:15 AM »
Spoiler:
A rickshaw has been spotted, further confirming the size of human village as quite large.

New concepts: ancient tengu writing system, infernal flora

Apparently Reimu has known Kosuzu for a long time, and is very friendly towards her. Kosuzu is much younger, so she treats Reimu with respect.

(Don't think I have to spoiler the following, since it's not directly connected to the story.)

About the name Suzunaon 鈴奈庵:
Motoori Norinaga's house is called 鈴屋 "Suzu-no-ya" (House of Bells).

The 庵 in 鈴奈庵 comes from his art-names 瞬庵 and 春庵 (uncertain about pronunciations). The word 庵 refers to a scholar's residence.

EDIT:
As a 2chan post pointed out, we finally have a character whose parents we can be sure about.
Spoiler:
Kosuzu is wearing an apron which has her name (and name of Suzunaon) on it, "you can feel her love towards her family".

I don't think Touhou would stop being misanthropic (that's part of the charm), but getting married would definitely mellow ZUN out. Which is good news for me.

EDIT2:
Marisa's title:
極めて普通のマジシャン Extremely Ordinary Magician
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:51:20 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2012, 12:11:43 PM »
博丽霊梦
wut

That kanji is all wrong, except for the "rei" in "Reimu". Was that intentional?

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2012, 12:39:07 PM »
wut

That kanji is all wrong, except for the "rei" in "Reimu". Was that intentional?
I'm sure that's Simplified Chinese.

cuc

« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2012, 12:43:01 PM »
Yes, it's Simplified Chinese. It's a result of me copy-pasting from a site that auto-converts some characters into Simplified Chinese.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2012, 01:46:38 PM »
Patchouli, Akyuu, and Kosuzu

The librarian trio :V

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2012, 02:26:52 PM »
Spoiler:
New concepts: ancient tengu writing system

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2012, 03:01:03 PM »
interestedaya.jpg

Likewise. This sounds pretty interesting :O

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2012, 03:08:19 PM »
So from the bits we could gather on IRC just now the story is about
Spoiler:
a magic book written by youkai that Marisa has an interest in. Said book is in Kosuzu's possession. Also Kosuzu's store is not just selling books, she also rents them out, and one of her customers is Akyuu as is seen at the start of the story.

MaStErSpArK94

« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2012, 03:25:13 PM »
A new bookworm joins the crew!

Which means someone new for Marisa to rob. :D

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2012, 03:57:03 PM »
Oh man, this sounds super interesting. I can't wait until it's scanned. :D
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Hakurou Tengu

• End of Daylight
  • Pi-hyarara~ Pi-hyarara~
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2012, 08:16:42 PM »
Spoiler:
New concepts: ancient tengu writing system, infernal flora

Apparently Reimu has known Kosuzu for a long time, and is very friendly towards her. Kosuzu is much younger, so she treats Reimu with respect.

This has gotten me interested. Veeeerrrrry interested. Hopefully Hatate gets involved She doesn't really seem to be anywhere... ever. Momiji's lack of appearances is understandable, hopefully she'll appear too, but Hatate really needs some love. And Aya is Aya, so I'll be happy to see her regardless. God, I love the tengu~ Not getting my hopes up though. I wish not to be disappointed.

I'm just as equally interested to see how exactly Reimu and Kosuzu will interact with each other. I for some reason foresee Kosuzu trying to help out and goofing up in the end. She just looks like that kind of character. Looks can of course be deceiving.

Tomorrow will be a great day! (if it's scanlated)

EDIT: Well, I doubt she's the type to goof around, now that I think about it ;^^
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:24:08 PM by Hakurou Tengu »
~We?re the only ones who can decide whether something was fortunate or unfortunate. It all depends on whether we find a new vision born within a different perspective~

« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2012, 08:30:53 PM »
Tomorrow will be a great day! (if it's scanlated)

I wouldn't hold my breath. Official manga have a pretty bad history when it comes to getting scanslated promptly. Sangetsuei is still working on the last three chapters, and WAHH has fallen volumes behind. I suppose it's conceivable that there would be more interest in a first chapter, when everyone's still curious to see what the new character is like, but in general there's not much rush.

« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2012, 07:16:21 AM »
Mhm.. Can't wait to read the new Manga. <3

cuc

« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2012, 09:13:55 AM »
The Chinese fandom has already got the magazine, and will probably release a translation tomorrow. They say they are willing to share the raw with Western fans.

Now, who will do the English translation? Should I contact Gensokyo.org?

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2012, 01:09:50 PM »
I wouldn't hold my breath. Official manga have a pretty bad history when it comes to getting scanslated promptly. Sangetsuei is still working on the last three chapters, and WAHH has fallen volumes behind. I suppose it's conceivable that there would be more interest in a first chapter, when everyone's still curious to see what the new character is like, but in general there's not much rush.

Don't be so doubtful, part of the problem mainly centers about the standards of some translation groups, like Volie and ViVid seeks good quality pages for transitions and editing. While there are more independent groups that will take anything just for the sake of making sure that the fans can get thier translations. Sangetsuei close to being done, but lack of staff cause it to reach a halt (upon the group who was doing). WaHH is only 4 chapters behind, and the group that's been doing that has been buying the books (the one's that are 5 chapters a book) which is why there's generally a delay (they like high quality pages and bonus material)
Personally I would be interested if we could somehow help out these groups in some way so that translations can speed up a bit so we don't get left in the dark for a long time.

The Chinese fandom has already got the magazine, and will probably release a translation tomorrow. They say they are willing to share the raw with Western fans.

Now, who will do the English translation? Should I contact Gensokyo.org?

Good to know, just to be on the safe side and to give you a heads up, there are rules against directing linking scanlations, (the translations can be talked about, but not linked) and such since they are taken to serious levels here. (Trust me, I watch plenty meet thier end not knowing this fact) So I'll try to discuss it with you else where.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:43:03 PM by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2012, 01:48:03 PM »
Don't be so doubtful, part of the problem mainly centers about the standards of some translation groups, like Volie and ViVid seeks good quality pages for transitions and editing. While there are more independent groups that will take anything just for the sake of making sure that the fans can get thier translations. Sangetsuei close to being done, but lack of staff cause it to reach a halt (upon the group who was doing). WaHH is only 4 chapters behind, and the group that's been doing that has been buying the books (the one's that are 5 chapters a book) which is why there's generally a delay (they like high quality pages and bonus material)
Personally I would be interested if we could somehow help out these groups in some way so that translations can speed up a bit so we don't get left in the dark for a long time.

It's exactly those standards that make them slow. I can certainly appreciate a desire for quality, but even then they're kind of slow. I mean, Volume 2 has been out since March or April or something and they still haven't finished it. I remember it clearly because I bought it on release and then waited for a while.

Edit: Also, as far as I know they aren't translating the bonus material. I mean, the bonus sketches and 4koma that are in the collected volumes. Or at least they're not releasing them in any obvious place (you'd expect the volume 1 bonus material at the end of chapter 5, for example).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 04:19:50 PM by Clarste »

« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2012, 03:57:20 PM »
Here is some sneak peak  of the chapter, just don't read the text if you don't want to spoil yourself.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/noegasukida/archives/19130576.html
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:59:12 PM by booboo013 »

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2012, 03:40:23 AM »
We can all agree that Akyu is much older than when we last saw her, or at least when compared to how she's usually portrayed, right?

« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2012, 03:57:44 AM »

It's nice that they're expanding on the human village with some actual named characters. Really, it's been around since the Windows series started and supposedly so important yet the only major named character from there so far was Akyu.

EDIT:
As a 2chan post pointed out, we finally have a character whose parents we can be sure about.

Marisa's been confirmed to have parents for a very very very long time, now. Unless you mean the relationship, tho IMHO it's somewhat obvious Marisa and her father have had a sort of falling out.

« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2012, 04:09:22 AM »
It's nice that they're expanding on the human village with some actual named characters. Really, it's been around since the Windows series started and supposedly so important yet the only major named character from there so far was Akyu.

I'm pretty sure it was actually introduced in IN, when you fought Keine. If you look at the prologues for EoSD and PCB, they both talk about there being very few humans in Gensokyo and talk as if most human-youkai interaction occurs across the border. It wasn't until Keine decided to hide the human village that we got the idea that they had a sizable population center in Gensokyo.

Also, when was it considered important?

3yoyo333

• Holy mother of Hijiri
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2012, 03:33:11 PM »
It looks like there's already a bunch of fanart of her! Man, Touhou must be one of the fastest fandoms!  Heheh, I feel like I should contribute to this. Maybe I'll find things to cosplay our new friend. Yep, very excited for the manga to come out!  :3
... and a toilet seat!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2012, 12:27:56 AM »
So apparently a Japanese copy of the Necronomicon exists in Gensokyo.

Oh snap. :o

pineyappled

« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2012, 05:24:28 AM »
The art is actually nice for once. o/

cuc

« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2012, 04:30:28 AM »
Marisa's been confirmed to have parents for a very very very long time, now. Unless you mean the relationship, tho IMHO it's somewhat obvious Marisa and her father have had a sort of falling out.
Yes, my emphasis was on the relationship. I spoke too soon on this issue, anyway.

So apparently a Japanese copy of the Necronomicon exists in Gensokyo.
It's written using kanji/hanzi/Chinese characters, but not in a language anyone understands.

I'm pretty sure it was actually introduced in IN, when you fought Keine. If you look at the prologues for EoSD and PCB, they both talk about there being very few humans in Gensokyo and talk as if most human-youkai interaction occurs across the border. It wasn't until Keine decided to hide the human village that we got the idea that they had a sizable population center in Gensokyo.
Clarste is correct in terms of games. CoLA preceeded IN though, and by the time CoLA was written, there was definitely a sizeable human population in Gensokyo. Technically, "human villages" are indeed mentioned in ESoD and PCB's prologues. But both instances refer to human population outside of Gensokyo.

What's really important, is that you must understand that the Touhou universe didn't leap into the world fully grown with ESoD and Dolls of Pseudo Paradise in August, 2002. Quite the contrary, if you read ESoD documents and "Death of the Honest Men" carefully (admittedly hard to do given the state of their English translations), you'll see that the Touhou universe as we know it didn't exist back then. Gensokyo was just a hidden paradise of youkai, and Reimu kept watch on its border. She went to stop the scarlet mist, because if it spread to the outside, the humans would discover Gensokyo and destroy it. There was no such thing as super magical barrier. The core concept of Gensokyo is there, but the details are all missing.

A Gensokyo surrounded by a powerful border began to take shape with PCB. But the PCB Prologue Gensoukyou Fuudoki "Record of Land and Customs of Gensokyo", still described a Gensokyo very different from its current form. ZUN would eventually retcon the whole article by saying it has been greatly distorted by years of copying and intentional tampering.

The "Version 1.0" of Touhou universe, with all important features set in stone, was probably formed soon after PCB's release, and was revealed first through CoLA, then through IN, IaMP and Changeability of Strange Dream.

I'd call ESoD and "Death of the Honest Men" pre-Touhou universe, and PCB proto-Touhou universe.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:27:44 AM by cuc »

RemiShama

• Imperial Scarlet Devil.
    • Scarlet Devil Mansion | Touhou italian forum
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2012, 07:01:19 PM »
An user of my forum found the scan translated of the manga, now we are translating on italian. ?-?

However the new character is really cute, but its similiar to Mitori... ?-?
Visit my Touhou Italian Forum, nya.

cuc

« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2012, 03:48:47 AM »
Hey, I've written another stupid post on Forbidden Scrollery.

We don't really know where FS will be heading, so this can only serve as background knowledge at the moment.

It's easy to ask "where is the dividing line between Japanese culture and pan-East Asian culture". But the truth is, there isn't one. Japanese culture developed by taking in "outside" influences; without them, Japanese culture as we know it simply couldn't exist.

So what did Motoori Norinaga do? He was one of the scholars who sought to create an identity of Japan that's wholly unique, separate from outside Buddhist and Confucian influences. Like many cultural reformers in history, he tried to achieve his goal by claiming his innovations as a return to the roots. Shinto-Buddhist syncreticism was the prevailing religion of Japan, so he went back to a time before the syncreticism happened. From those early records, he developed a new theory of Shintoism, a lot of which, such as the concept of "four souls", are still often referenced today.

Motoori's work formed the basis to State Shintoism, the state religion and ideology of Imperial Japan. Mind you, Gensokyo was sealed during 1884-1885, the year in which all shrines were required to become state institutes, and Shinto priests required to become civil servants.

Motoori also invented the concept of mono-no-aware, said by later scholars to be the aesthetical value behind all Japanese art, as well as an essential component of the Japanese mind. One of his major works is Commentaries on the Kojiki, and you may remember that Kojiki was written by Hieda no Are, so Kosuzu and Akyuu knowing each other is quite the scholarly gag.

Needless to say, Motoori's "purely Japanese" Shintoism still displays lots of Confucian and Taoist influences.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2012, 04:16:07 PM »
From just reading this first chapter thus far, there are many possibilities for this plot. I can see an actual incident coming out of this; maybe even an antagonist

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2012, 03:55:10 AM »
So how often do these things normally come out?

« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2012, 04:04:37 AM »
So how often do these things normally come out?

It's published in a monthly magazine, so I assume it'll have one chapter a month unless they have some special contract.