Author Topic: Rock Music in the Touhou Doujin Scene  (Read 6384 times)

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
  • I take many forms, and this won't be my last.
Rock Music in the Touhou Doujin Scene
« on: September 21, 2012, 06:37:55 PM »
From the overwhelming number of electronic-based doujin music circles within the Touhou fandom, I'm willing to bet that the majority of Touhou fans favor their brand of music. But, what about rock- and alternative rock-based doujin music circles?

I feel that there should be a thread devoted to them--groups such as 君の美術館 (kimino-museum), PARADOX, and (to a lesser extent) Crest, since they certainly seem to be present, but still fairly sparse underneath the colossal weight of electro and techno from what I can tell. And so, I'll kick this thread off with this question:

What other doujin circles in the Touhou fandom feature a similar sound to those I've already mentioned? What about those who present their own unique rock appeal? Which groups do you believe should be given greater spotlight here on this forum that match the genre?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 06:43:45 PM by BL2W »

Now, you can follow my art studio, KyokoPro Studios, on deviantART, Facebook, and YouTube~!

Hakurou Tengu

• End of Daylight
  • Pi-hyarara~ Pi-hyarara~
Re: Rock Music in the Touhou Doujin Scene
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 08:01:31 PM »
Oh, Goddess Shinki. Ummmmm... Hard to say. The Doujin music is a HUGE part of my love for Touhou. Probably the biggest. As far as rock goes, I'd say:

-Pizuya's Cell
-Foreground Eclipse (More Metal than rock)
-Draw the Emotional
-=NeutraL=
-Crow's Claw
-Buta-Otome
-Shinigiwa Satellite

Some may not be strictly rock, or more on the Metal side of things... or not entirely rock at all. I'm not a musical expert ;^^ To be honest, the ones I mentioned are already fairly popular. Shinigiwa Satellite and Draw the Emotional are two that I feel are REALLY good, but just don't get that much attention. If I had to pick 3 of the ones I listed, I'd go with Pizuya's Cell, Draw the Emotional and Shinigiwa Satellite. Foreground Eclipse is more metal than rock, but that's probably my favourite circle from what I listed...
~We?re the only ones who can decide whether something was fortunate or unfortunate. It all depends on whether we find a new vision born within a different perspective~

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 09:23:18 PM »
Some may not be strictly rock, or more on the Metal side of things... or not entirely rock at all. I'm not a musical expert ;^^

Metal is fine; it's a welcome cousin, so to speak. I happen to enjoy some metal Touhou fan music myself~ ;)

Now, you can follow my art studio, KyokoPro Studios, on deviantART, Facebook, and YouTube~!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 09:39:01 PM »
Yeah, I was going to mention Crow's Claw, too. There are actually a number of Dragonforce-sounding bands who do Touhou arranges, too, a CD of one of whom I regrettably bought at Otakon 2009.

One of my favorite Touhou arranges of all time has rock elements, if that counts. This song still consistently blows me away.

Dozo.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 09:59:13 PM »
One of my favorite Touhou arranges of all time has rock elements, if that counts. This song still consistently blows me away.

Well, now... Indeed, I, too, am blown away~ :o

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 10:00:08 PM »

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 10:27:26 PM »
I'm terrible at distinguishing genres, but... I think Sekken'ya counts as rock.... They're awesome even if they don't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw0FlxQRZ2Q

Drake

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 03:33:27 AM »
I definitely recommend UNDEAD CORPORATION's recent C82 album: rock + traditional japanese instruments + optional ranko vocals.

basically any genre + traditional japanese instruments makes it great though so yeah

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
  • Profile Loading... Please Wait Warmly.
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 05:38:14 AM »
Like mentioned, Demetori is great.

Shin Rokuren

• - 秘剣 -
  • 「ツバメ六連」

Swiftwater

• Licking sweet bean paste, filled with sweet bean paste!!
  • You can even taste it on the outside...
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 09:22:12 AM »
Anything with vocals is good.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 12:11:01 PM »
You think being a fan of Touhou rock groups is hard? Try jazz. Stuff with live instruments is hard to come by, and most circles that use synths can't quite make it work, imo.

But getting to the subject at hand:
Xi-on, anybody?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo9EaYGmcN8
This times 1000

Buta-Otome, Tanabata, and Unlucky Morpheus/Icarus'Cry are really good groups with vocals.

BL2W

• ~ SHINING FINGER ~
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 07:11:10 PM »
Stuff with live instruments is hard to come by, and most circles that use synths can't quite make it work, imo.

I completely sympathize with you; that's actually part of the reason why I made this thread in the first place, since any group with a full band with live instruments that they utilize all of the time for any genre is difficult to come by. In fact, the three bands I listed in the OP--particularly the first two--always use live instruments--guitars, bass, real drum sets, etc.~

R4

• This is where custom titles appear.
  • And this is where personal texts should appear.
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 11:19:37 PM »
There's also S.S.H.

Seconded Kishida Kyoudan.