Author Topic: Bemani brings Touhou arranges into commercial rhythm game works!  (Read 19236 times)

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
Bemani brings Touhou arranges into commercial rhythm game works!
« on: September 15, 2012, 07:09:24 AM »
Bemani (known for rhythm games such as Dance Dance Revolution, Beatmania IIDX and MANY MORE) has been updating a very recent rhythm game that came out about half a year ago, bringing in many doujin artists, circles, and producers with their own original works, including those known for their touhou works such as Buta-Otome, ARM(IOSYS), and SOUND HOLIC. The game they have all participated in is Sound Voltex. (it is also worth mentioning that it already contained MANY Vocaloid songs already, including Meltdown and Overnight Story.

In a VERY recent update, I have been surprised at the selection of music. Why? Because they have added 4 NEW TOUHOU ARRANGES. That's right, actual arranges. The 4 songs they've added are Cirno's Perfect Math Class, Bad Apple!!, Taboo Tears you Up 2008, and Grip & Break down !! - SDVX Edit. -.

I'm very curious as to how they convinced ZUN to finally allow his arranges in a somewhat big commercial rhythm game in Japan, and what was in it for him, because last I remember he was pretty oppose to anything touhou-related to be in commercial works. Still, I'm very excited to hear this, being a rhythm gamer and all.

Btw, in case you don't know what Sound Voltex is, they have info on the game here, but I think a video best explains how the game work. It only exists in the Arcades for now though.

Anyways, comments and opinions of Touhou (slowly) growing now into official commercialized works?

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: Bemani brings Touhou arranges into commercial rhythm game works!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 01:55:46 PM »
The inevitable Touhou fanbase reaction is going to be "X song is shit, why not Y".

So let me be the first! Two U.N.Owen remixes seems an odd choice. Only four songs and they still couldn't diversify?
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 03:57:55 PM »
The inevitable Touhou fanbase reaction is going to be "X song is shit, why not Y".

So let me be the first! Two U.N.Owen remixes seems an odd choice. Only four songs and they still couldn't diversify?

I would guess it's more what the artists wanted to submit more than anything. Besides Masayoshi Minoshima, the other 3 artists (ARM, SOUND HOLIC, and REDALiCE) has all been in Sound Voltex before with their originals (with REDALiCE helping with IIDX as well), so I would assume it's more their own choice of music when they asked, and in the end they went with either their most popular or something they assumed would help their popularity (ie. SOUND HOLIC chose a UN Owen song because he didn't know REDALiCE would choose TTYU2008 and also thought UN Owen was the most popular song out there, so it'll bring in more people for him I guess?)

Just my guess.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 03:59:28 PM by Gpop »

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 04:40:25 PM »
In terms of ZUN's policies, it's probably not a big deal.

For example, earlier this year. 3 Touhou characters (Reimu, Marisa, Remilia) made guest appearances in the PSP RPG "Nendroid Generation". And I'm told Cirno's Pefect Math Classroom has already been featured in a browser rhythm game. I can't find that game, but just through a simple search, I encountered two commercial Touhou alarm clock apps for smartphones, one of which features 12 arranged songs, the other is a Cirno clock claiming "this product was developed with the express consent of Team Shanghai Alice."

My current understanding is this (correct me if I'm wrong):

All Touhou products made by commercial entities are considered "secondary creation", same as doujin and fan works, meaning that they are not official products licensed by Team Shanghai Alice. If you are a corporation and want to make Touhou mercandise, you must notify your intention to Team Shanghai Alice, and follow the policy guidelines. However, ZUN would not take one cent from you.

In short, all Touhou mercandises - figures, plushies and what not, are unofficial, including -  especially - that Anime Tenchou x Touhou anime short of 2011, and ZUN doesn't profit from any of them. These games shouldn't be any different.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 05:10:21 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 08:07:22 PM »
This kinda reminds me of that rhythm game that you shot evil note thingies that I saw a few months ago. They had CMPC in that one along with a Nercofantasia and something else which I don't really remember right now.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 12:07:09 AM »
Firestorm, that's Music GunGun. It even had completely original remakes by the producers at Taito, but I guess that's not the nature of this game.

Anyway, this is really good news and the songs themselves are really fun. They picked this first batch based on how popular they are; there just happened to be two U.N. Owen arrangements. Taboo Tears You Up is 75% Bemani anyway, it just plays the hook with Contract's synth.

And ZUN is completely fine with it. He said on Twitter that he saw nothing objectionable with the songs and did not mind helping get people excited to play games.

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 06:19:40 AM »
I'm really hyped about Konami (or specifically the Bemani division) finally bringing in actual Touhou remixes and not just, say, IOSYS/Redalice non-Touhou songs. Kinda sad we don't have SVB in the Philippines, though, so we're hoping they give DDR some love eventually.

That said, *fervently hopes for the RG thread revival in Akyu's*

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 06:43:59 AM by AAAAAAAAAAAAA »

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Vento

• Playtime is over!!!!
  • TRIGGER WARNING : #2handsome5casuls
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 07:37:13 AM »
i hope the arcades here can get this here because everyone'sclogging up the jubeat machines >:C
Distasteful Tater Elites 1st division

N-Forza

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 08:31:03 AM »
I wouldn't expect Touhou songs in other Bemani anytime soon. SDVX is pretty much built upon being practically entirely crowd-sourced, like the Project Diva arcade game. The other Bemani are still pretty traditional in wanting original works or at least stuff from other Konami games (Castlevania, Gradius, etc. remixes). While licenses are also common, you wouldn't expect them from another game franchise, the one exception being the Super Mario theme in Pop'n Music.

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 11:14:38 AM »
I'm just curious why they choosed the most overseen arranges that exist. Why not making a exclusive arrange out of the less known song, and I'm not saing PC-98 - what about Traditional Old Man and the Stylish Girl, or Bridge People no Longer Cross? The first would make a great hardstyle, and the second something comparable to the Lincle Kingdom's GST, just a bit slowler.

Yes. TOO OVERRATED. Hhhrrg...

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 02:51:25 PM »
I wouldn't expect Touhou songs in other Bemani anytime soon. SDVX is pretty much built upon being practically entirely crowd-sourced, like the Project Diva arcade game. The other Bemani are still pretty traditional in wanting original works or at least stuff from other Konami games (Castlevania, Gradius, etc. remixes). While licenses are also common, you wouldn't expect them from another game franchise, the one exception being the Super Mario theme in Pop'n Music.

Don't forget DDR Mario Mix :V

I'm just curious why they choosed the most overseen arranges that exist. Why not making a exclusive arrange out of the less known song, and I'm not saing PC-98 - what about Traditional Old Man and the Stylish Girl, or Bridge People no Longer Cross? The first would make a great hardstyle, and the second something comparable to the Lincle Kingdom's GST, just a bit slowler.

Yes. TOO OVERRATED. Hhhrrg...

well like I said before:
I would guess it's more what the artists wanted to submit more than anything. Besides Masayoshi Minoshima, the other 3 artists (ARM, SOUND HOLIC, and REDALiCE) has all been in Sound Voltex before with their originals (with REDALiCE helping with IIDX as well), so I would assume it's more their own choice of music when they asked, and in the end they went with either their most popular or something they assumed would help their popularity (ie. SOUND HOLIC chose a UN Owen song because he didn't know REDALiCE would choose TTYU2008 and also thought UN Owen was the most popular song out there, so it'll bring in more people for him I guess?)

Just my guess.

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 11:44:43 PM »
Re: Music GunGun, it's an an arcade light gun rhythm game (think Elite Beat Agents but with shooting at targets instead of tapping them) and it had Marisa Stole the Precious Thing and an U.N. Owen Was Her? arrange. Music GunGun! 2 added a Necrofantasia arrange, Bad Apple, and Cirno's Perfect Math Class.

I had the chance to play it when I was in Tokyo a while back. It was pretty fun, but having targets in two dimensions makes things hard to sightread since both the X and Y coordinates tell you where to hit, unlike Bemani games where the X coordinate tells you what to hit and the Y coordinate tell you when the note will arrive. But the upside was that they could make the notes form shapes - for example, Marisa Stole the Precious Thing on Very Hard had several stars in its chart, and Cirno's Perfect Math Class had a gigantic ⑨ on Very Hard.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:56:56 PM by Poochy.EXE »

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 02:49:44 PM »
So now the most recent update introduces even more touhou arranges into the game, now with songs by Kishida Kyouden & the Akeboshi Rockets, 幽閉サテライト feat. senya, Buta-Otome, and FELT.

I REALLY like the 4 songs chosen. Though I would've preferred YU-MU, this is the next best song from the Akeboshi Rockets since almost all their songs are amazing in general.

cirnomodo

• Make Miracles!
  • Sanyae says hi :)
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 04:21:48 PM »
I wonder how will the charts look like if say they decide to include something from East New Sound.

It's nice to see they include more Touhou remixes, but the downside is there will be no arcade in my area that will ever bring one of those in.

cirnomodo

• Make Miracles!
  • Sanyae says hi :)
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 06:03:55 PM »
Looks like they came up with another update for the Golden Week. However, this Touhou set is probably not something many are familiar with.
http://p.eagate.573.jp/game/sdvx/sv/p/booth_contents/contents_28/contents_28_01.html

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 07:53:47 PM »
yes, there's been quite a few touhou updates recently, but I'm happy that CROW'SCLAW is finally in :V

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 04:40:47 AM »
<Relevant bump for SDVX II>

Oh joy, even more Touhou remixes. This one appears to be one of Lunate Elf, mixed by an IOSYS member, and IT. IS. INSANE.

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 05:34:49 AM »

Oh joy, even more Touhou remixes. This one appears to be one of Lunate Elf, mixed by an IOSYS member, and IT. IS. INSANE.

I can't stop playing it since I unlocked it. Best chart ever.

http://p.eagate.573.jp/game/sdvx/sv/p/floor/remix/04/index.html
It's actually from the EoSD remix contest, seeing as there are 30 artists confirmed, you can expect there'd be lots more EoSD remixes in the coming updates.

http://p.eagate.573.jp/game/sdvx/sv/p/floor/apcard/05/index.html
There's also Touhou appeal cards now (kinda like an avatar in the game)

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 03:43:18 PM »

Yeah there's been a whole bunch of Touhou unlocks for quite a while. Both Touhou and Vocaloid songs and arranges are becoming a normal update thing recently :V

N-Forza

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 01:26:44 AM »
This was the first contest where they accepted applications for consideration, though.