Author Topic: Am I the only one who prefers...?  (Read 24138 times)

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
Am I the only one who prefers...?
« on: August 28, 2012, 04:50:59 PM »
Am I the only one around here who would prefer that an official Touhou TV series be done using CGI rather than being 2D animation?  I think most people would prefer it to be in 2D.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 04:52:36 PM by game2011 »

Cor

Re: Am I the only one who prefers...?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 04:57:10 PM »
Official Touhou series sounds really icky. Like a cash cow.

Also, 3DPD.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 05:04:57 PM »
If one were to even be made I'd like it to be 2D animation, there's way too much 3D CGI animation stuff being made here (well how im seeing it) and it's bugging me.

Nindella

• That cat!
  • Nyaaa...
    • Youtube Page!
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 05:13:32 PM »

Also, 3DPD.

Yeah, no official series please, it'll divert attention away from the games and yardiyardiyar (I think ZUN said something about this, someone might find it).

The fan animations (PVs etc.) are alright though, they're generally quite enjoyable to watch .
Youtube Channel!
Please check it out for Touhou commentaries, LPs, piano transcriptions and more!
My Touhou replays!

pineyappled

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 05:13:56 PM »
CGI animation done outside major Hollywood studios always turns out looking soulless and empty. Look at Green Lantern TAS, for example. It's kind of gross.
Besides, anime styles don't fit in 3D. Behold.

Cor

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 05:18:57 PM »

Then again now that I think about it, not all CGI Touhou stuff is horrible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDH76B5or54&list=FLQCgu9UyKG0xEjZJIord9PA
is pretty damn amazing.
there's way too much 3D CGI animation stuff being made here
Yep, it's 'cause CGI is cheaper and thus makes better quick buck.

Yeah, no official series please, it'll divert attention away from the games and yardiyardiyar (I think ZUN said something about this, someone might find it).

The fan animations (PVs etc.) are alright though, they're generally quite enjoyable to watch .
Agreed. I haven't watched Maikaze, but I hear it's good. The one from the other group I can't remember with PCB story was sweet.

pineyappled

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 05:20:09 PM »
No, that's still awful.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 06:15:37 PM »
Then again now that I think about it, not all CGI Touhou stuff is horrible.
Out of curiousity, have you seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx3Tq0QLoOU

Cor

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 06:17:59 PM »
Yeah. The graphics are a bit blocky and clippy, but it's a good one.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 06:20:47 PM »
Yeah. If the graphics were a bit nicer-looking, that would be great, but I don't care what medium is used for a Touhou anime as long as the fights look glamorous.

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 12:42:05 PM »
There's always this, this and this.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 01:00:44 PM »
When it comes to this:
I don't care what medium is used for a Touhou anime as long as the fights look glamorous.
...though many of them could use more background details and probably a few stylistic changes.

now where's my Source Filmmaker-compatible Touhou models damnit
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »

I would have to disagree with this. I really want a Touhou anime that fleshes out the characters and Gensokyo even more, like a slice-of-life anime. But of course, there will be a couple of episodes that are about the incidents, so there would be action too.

Also, I disagree with the reasoning "the anime would divert the fandom's attention from the games" because let's face it, the games only come out like once a year or so and they're really short. Wouldn't it be better if there's a Touhou anime that we can wait for every week?

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 12:13:01 PM »
The problem with an official series for me, is that it pretty much sets character personalities in stone, one of the fun things I find about Touhou is that there are multiple portrayals of one character (because of the lack of appearances or flanderization) so it keeps things interesting in fan-woks and well it's nice trying to find out how characters are in Canon through the books or interpretations compared to fan-works and even with that it can be played around with so it's not entirely definite.

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 12:20:08 PM »
The problem with an official series for me, is that it pretty much sets character personalities in stone,

You can also say the same for the Touhou comics. In my opinion, they have quite a big impact on setting some of the characters' personalities in stone.

But really, I don't think canon will stop people from making out-of-canon characterizations for the characters.

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 06:31:02 PM »
You can also say the same for the Touhou comics. In my opinion, they have quite a big impact on setting some of the characters' personalities in stone.

But really, I don't think canon will stop people from making out-of-canon characterizations for the characters.

But the only one that went way off the games was the Inabas, making Eirin a sadist (fanon bs), Reisen a buttmonkey (fanon bs) and Kaguya, a lame moeblob (what the hell was that?). Even then, it's questionable if we can even consider it canon, since it has some blatant discrepancies with previous works.

Anyway, if there must be an animation, I'd have it 2D, with the characters drawn all round and fluffy like Zun makes them.

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 06:33:55 PM »
So? I don't really see your point. That Inaba comic was a gag comic anyway so you shouldn't take it seriously.

By the way, that comic was hilarious. I like it a lot.

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 08:11:24 PM »
My point is that they can't "set the personalities in stone" when they're just repeating the games. The ambiguity is still there.

I take the Inabas seriously because it's an official work, supposedly canon until god speaks.

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 04:20:09 AM »
Just remember that ZUN only gave pointers for the Inabas, not directly writing it.

So, if there's an anime, you want it to be like the games?

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 08:46:03 AM »
Giving pointers or not, it is still official work, so it would be canon. Unless there are direct contradictions with other official works, Inabas is as good as any official work.

But the only one that went way off the games was the Inabas, making Eirin a sadist (fanon bs), Reisen a buttmonkey (fanon bs) and Kaguya, a lame moeblob (what the hell was that?). Even then, it's questionable if we can even consider it canon, since it has some blatant discrepancies with previous works.

I must disagree with most of what is said here.
Reisen deserves quite a bit of the things that happens to her. In canon, she is fairly obnoxious to the rabbits, who are supposed to be her equals.
I have no idea how you got the idea from Inaba of moon/earth that Kaguya is a lame moeblob. I am sure it does not protray her as such there.

As for discrepancies with previous works, there are few discrepancies. I would like to request examples of these so called discrepancies.

StainGlass

• Not the only one
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 06:29:41 AM »
I don't find anime transcends well into 3D personally. But if it was done right, I'd give it a look. However, I think I'll always prefer line drawings.

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 07:33:42 AM »
I have no idea how you got the idea from Inaba of moon/earth that Kaguya is a lame moeblob. I am sure it does not protray her as such there.

You'd be right. Kaguya is exactly like her canon self of what we've seen in Imperishable Night; (Wants to be) Outgoing, good-natured, curious about the world around her, while still being stuck in Eientei. The comic just portrays a more humorous view of her.

Also anything about Reisen not being a buttmonkey is a total LIE. If you were to look at any ending involving Reisen, you'd see she's being mocked, looks plain crazy due to unfortunate circumstances or other whacky stuff.

And about Eirin, she's not sadistic per se, more like a mad doctor who is also a complete genius. I mean, you gotta test those medicines right?

And finally, about a possible Touhou anime, I'd prefer 2D, but I wouldn't mind 3D. Even though I'm against the idea of having a Touhou Anime; We already have a lot of people asking ''what anime is this?'' on every touhou related videos, we don't need people to answer them ''It's a super cool anime! Also they made a spin-off bullet hell game!'' That would KILL ME.

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 07:42:14 AM »
Eirin actually goes around casually threatening or mentioning the offing of characters several times in official works, too (such as SSiB where she has an arrow at Patchouli's back, or CiLR where she mentions that one stray rabbit from the moon won't be missed if they end up having to eliminate her in regards to Reissen II), so the whole "sadistic" (in terms of "I will kill you" stuff) thing IS canon even without Inaba, though of course Inaba exaggerates it a bit.

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 06:35:37 AM »
Giving pointers or not, it is still official work, so it would be canon. Unless there are direct contradictions with other official works, Inabas is as good as any official work.

I must disagree with most of what is said here.
Reisen deserves quite a bit of the things that happens to her. In canon, she is fairly obnoxious to the rabbits, who are supposed to be her equals.

As for discrepancies with previous works, there are few discrepancies. I would like to request examples of these so called discrepancies.

Things like Eirin getting sick (An immortal's body is immune to all disease, by Mokou), Toyohime wanting to take a rabbit to the moon (which would "taint" their precious, pure moon), Kaguya getting stuck on bamboo, and being physically unfit (she's supposed to be physically strong, according to Marisa), getting "fat" ("Souls don't have a particular size, so they can freely create another body wherever they like", by Alice), the weaponry in Kourindou.

On Reisen: she's not equal to the rabbits.
"Tewi Inaba acts as leader of the rabbits, but she gives orders to Tewi
This makes her the de facto leader of the rabbits."

On Eirin: threatening or killing someone (even worse if they're just "tools", like the rabbits) is not being sadistic. Bdsming Reisen to the point where she can't get up in days, is.

And finally, Kaguya... not actually arguing anything here, just stating my opinion. Almost all of her "screen time" is about her being cute, silly or naive, in such a childish way that I find it hard to not think of her as the epitome of moe. All of her background, like living for over a millenia, being a good talker with an "outdated manner of speech", her feud with Mokou, her supposed "actions" in instants was ignored or altered by the author (which is also true to many other characters... but I don't want to extend this too much).

Tbh, I don't think that those are the characters ZUN had in mind. But, as lightdreamer said, he didn't actually wrote it.

Just remember that ZUN only gave pointers for the Inabas, not directly writing it.

So, if there's an anime, you want it to be like the games?

Yes. Complementing what I was saying above, if there's one, may ZUN write the scenario, like he's doing in Ibarakasen.

Just adding this in, I don't hate the Inabas, it was a good read - I just dislike the idea that what's there may be definitive, to be taken into account if there's another work with the Eientei people.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 08:49:35 AM »
I'd like to think of Kaguya being physically powerful as... only being physically powerful and not physically fit.  She can easily lift a boulder, but she can't do push-ups properly.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2012, 02:32:51 PM »
I'd like to think of Kaguya being physically powerful as... only being physically powerful and not physically fit.  She can easily lift a boulder, but she can't do push-ups properly.

She doesn't need to do push-ups, Eirin is there to lift her up and down.

To be honest, I think the most changed part of Kaguya's personality was the whole hatred she has toward Mokou; In regular Touhou, they fight to the death fairly often, and they hold a burning hatred for each other, Kaguya even going as far as sending other people to ''kill'' Mokou for the sake of inflicting her pain. In Inaba of the Earth and Inaba of the Moon, it's a tsundere relationship.

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2012, 02:35:27 PM »
Yes. Complementing what I was saying above, if there's one, may ZUN write the scenario, like he's doing in Ibarakasen.

That was what I meant actually. Of course it should be written by ZUN.

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2012, 02:58:11 PM »
I don't like 3D animation much unless it's graphics in a video game. Like tales of. Then it looks alright. I did however like the look of the Reimu vs. Utsuho dogfight.

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 10:15:33 PM »
Things like Eirin getting sick (An immortal's body is immune to all disease, by Mokou)

This is inaccurate. We don't even know if Eirin is immortal or not. There is no canon proof on this part.

Toyohime wanting to take a rabbit to the moon (which would "taint" their precious, pure moon)

Does not contradict with canon. They do have a ritual cleaning in which you can clean impurities. Lunarians used to be humans from earth. They would have "tainted" the moon ages ago if there was not a way to cleanse themselves and others.

Kaguya getting stuck on bamboo, and being physically unfit (she's supposed to be physically strong, according to Marisa), getting "fat" ("Souls don't have a particular size, so they can freely create another body wherever they like", by Alice), the weaponry in Kourindou.

Kaguya does not care enough to destroy the bamboo. It isn't like being stuck hurts her.
That said, let's not forget that it isn't that she isn't physically fit, it is that she is psychologically lazy. She can easily do a stretch that is impossible for even fit people, but can barely touch her knees with her hands.

Everyone has a soul, souls don't have a particular size, but the body has a particular size. If souls can freely create a size, then anyone, not just Kaguya can be of any size they want. What the Hourai Elixir does is causes the soul to become invincible. It doesn't actually change a soul's state.

What about the weaponry in Kourindou? Guns is not something that is out of place. Those are probably weapons that imaginative designers tried to do, but failed, because of impraticality and thus it fell into fantasy lands.

On Reisen: she's not equal to the rabbits.
"Tewi Inaba acts as leader of the rabbits, but she gives orders to Tewi
This makes her the de facto leader of the rabbits."

This is false. Reisen cannot give orders to Tewi. Eirin never gave Reisen the authority to do this. However, Reisen takes it upon herself to order Tewi, even though she isn't supposed to. Her thinking is probably on the lines of since she is Eirin apprentice and she believes Eirin is the boss, then she would have authority over the rabbits. This is untrue and we know this from canon, not just from Inaba of Earth/Moon.
If you check other canon sources, like Cage in Lunatic Runagate, Eirin does not order Tewi around. When Eirin first met Tewi, they made an agreement, not that Eirin was Tewi's boss. The relationship between Eirin and Tewi are of equals, not of a superior and a subject. Eirin does not actually have authority to order the rabbits around, only Tewi can do that.
Here is the link: http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Cage_in_Lunatic_Runagate/First_Chapter

On Eirin: threatening or killing someone (even worse if they're just "tools", like the rabbits) is not being sadistic. Bdsming Reisen to the point where she can't get up in days, is.

As I have already mentioned, Reisen deserves a lot of this. Refer to that link to see why.

All of her background, like living for over a millenia, being a good talker with an "outdated manner of speech", her feud with Mokou, her supposed "actions" in instants was ignored or altered by the author (which is also true to many other characters... but I don't want to extend this too much).

Mokou may have a fued with her, but for Kaguya, it is just fun and games. This is verified in Cage in Lunatic Runagate.
I don't see anything ignored, you may want to check out Cage in Lunatic Runagate if you are seeing some differences in characterization.

Just adding this in, I don't hate the Inabas, it was a good read - I just dislike the idea that what's there may be definitive, to be taken into account if there's another work with the Eientei people.

I am saying that there is not much wrong with the accuracy. Yes, some stuff are inaccurate, but most are good. Some get verified in other canon sources.
As I have already mentioned, Cage in Lunatic Runagate talks about Eientei and I believe Zun wrote that.

Ikari

• It's turning into derp
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 11:21:55 PM »
This is inaccurate. We don't even know if Eirin is immortal or not. There is no canon proof on this part.

Holy crap, I thought I was the ONLY person who knew that! Eirin isn't immortal, she's just freaking old! I seriously have no idea at all where people get the whole ''Eirin is immortal'' thing. Eirin got banned from the moon because she made the Hourai elixir, Kaguya got banned for drinking it. Lunarians have crazy lifespans, not immortality.

Mokou may have a fued with her, but for Kaguya, it is just fun and games.

It's hilariously sad for Mokou. I mean, Mokou sees it as an eternal revenge full of death and suffering for causing her father's death, Kaguya is pretty much just playing around. (In a rather morbid way, but still)