Author Topic: Anime Evolution 2012 Touhou Panel (Greater Vancouver Area)  (Read 2246 times)

Zero Izayoi

• DJ Amish, the Touhou DJ
  • Poet and daredevil, among other things... (x.o)
    • Floating Cactus
Anime Evolution 2012 Touhou Panel (Greater Vancouver Area)
« on: August 25, 2012, 01:35:39 PM »
If you live in the Greater Vancouver area of BC (or close to it), this post is for you.

Now that Anime Revolution is over, the next big convention to look out for is Anime Evolution (a little familiar sounding, huh?) in early November. Their website (http://www.animeevolution.com) is just barely up and running and Event and Panel registration is open.

I've never done anything like this before, but I was thinking that I could organize a Touhou panel for the con, since I don't believe that Vancouver has had a taste of the awesome power of Zun yet (All Hail!). I was thinking that I could do a semi-brief "What is Touhou?" speech in the first bit and then do a short Q&A segment. I'm also planning to bring a computer and have it hooked up to a projector so as to have some PoFV matches (or any of the others since I have all the official games including the PC-98 collection, lol). I'm guessing that mostly it'll consist of people who've never heard of Touhou, since I've found a grand total of two people so far in Van that are into it.

Anyways, I was wondering if you guys would have any suggestions/questions/comments and also if anyone living in the area would be able to make it out. It's being held on November 3rd and 4th at the Burnaby SFU campus. Here's the website again: http://www.animeevolution.com/

Interested?
Uh, what is this thread about? o_o
well it was simply quoting from The Book of Trolls but then Edible posted a Nick Cage mecha and it all went downhill from there

I yearn to fix this break in what never existed; to reclaim my reality, even though it isn't real...

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: Anime Evolution 2012 Touhou Panel (Greater Vancouver Area)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 02:14:34 PM »
If you have any sort of capacity to do so, introduce the series by showing a game off. Bullet hell games can only be talked about so much; they really really need visuals to be fully appreciated, and said visuals will also likely help open the ears of your audience to the rest of the series.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Zero Izayoi

• Floating Cactus
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 02:37:18 PM »
Sorry, but do you mean showing the game off, or showing a game-off, lol?
well it was simply quoting from The Book of Trolls but then Edible posted a Nick Cage mecha and it all went downhill from there

I yearn to fix this break in what never existed; to reclaim my reality, even though it isn't real...

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 02:50:30 PM »
Showing off a game, sorry. .-.

One of the very first things the NEMA Touhou panels do is have a panelist play the game live, then invite a newbie to play, then show off some special replay, usually perfect Extra or Stage 6 Lunatic clears. This tends to keep audiences interested, because the visuals are impressive and the jumps in difficulty prevent it from being samey and getting old.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Zero Izayoi

• Floating Cactus
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 02:53:18 PM »
Yeah, that does sound like a good idea, although I'm gonna have to improve amazingly before the con. I still have problems with most of the games on normal, lol.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 03:03:57 PM »
Well, we only show off a single stage live. It used to be Stage 3 Normal but we've been branching out a little bit lately. Still, Stage 3 Normal should be doable for someone that plays at least semi-regularly on Normal. Just make sure you run whatever stage you're going to show in Stage Practice a few times before the panel, so you're used to it by the time you have an audience.

If you have someone with you, that's even better, because they can concentrate on talking while you concentrate on playing.