Author Topic: [Animation/MOVIE] Diamond In The Rough *FINISHED!*  (Read 11038 times)

Spaztique

• Writer, Animator, Easy Mode Advocate
[Animation/MOVIE] Diamond In The Rough *FINISHED!*
« on: August 17, 2012, 09:17:09 AM »

Rated PG-13 by the Motion Picture Society of Gensokyo for scenes of horror, intense fantasy and realistic violence, sexual content, comic mischief, crude language, and an extremely downer ending.

What peeps are saying about Diamond In The Rough:

"This, as far as a player of the Touhou games, is really enjoyable. Diamond in the Rough is something you think about while playing the games and seeing the dialogue in game, you make connections and the movie feels like a canon Touhou setting in a way. This really embodies the the gameplay aspects as well as amazing use in music. Like Touhou, I will never forget this movie as long as I live, Phenomenal job well done." -DeityDiz

"I must say, Spaztique, you have taken Walfas and pushed it to limits unforseen by making probably the grandest Walfasimation... ever, I'm pretty sure. If I wasn't crying at how twistedly sad it got, I was crying at how friggin epic the battle scenes were. Regardless of cause, tears were shed. Hats off to you for eliciting such a reaction with something so normally-funny as create.swf." -Ambassador-Pinapple

"Without a doubt the BEST Walfas animation I have ever seen, and with such a great plot too. I was actually convinced I would feel nothing watching the screenings I. WAS. WRONG. And the fight scenes are f---ing AWESOME. *Claps*" -Uschi Koenig

"At first I was like 'Nah, it's just going to be just a normal story about a stupid gappy that will die.' And oh boy... was i wrong...." -GreenJakeNG

"All in all, an excellent film. I recommend it for any Touhou fans who understands English. While I wasn't reduced to tears, I could feel a lump in my throat." -Sturmgeschuts

"Ah, this sorrow of mine is so deep, I feel like my heart has been torn into two... No really, that's how I'm feeling." -Kigurou-Enkou

"A roller coaster ride of supernatural proportions. Just when you think you've reached your emotional limit, Spaztique pushes the bar even further." -westtxtapper

"This movie makes my soul hurt." -mobiusonedt

"Diamond In The Rough seems like a funny [parody of a Marty Stu OC] video at first, but it can tearjerk you like getting a baseball in the face." -Abbster266

"The tragic tale of Colonel Diamondback is unlike any other Walfas video before it." -Wilhiemthe2nd

*Unintelligible sobbing* -KeineCat

Story Synopsis: Brolli Diamondback is going to die in a fight against Tenshi. Yet, who is Brolli Diamondback? Brolli Diamondback is yet another kid who got spirited away (or "gapped") into the illusionary realm of Gensokyo by border demon Yukari Yakumo under the promise that he would gain ultimate power. What kind of kid would accept the offer of an inter-dimensional monster like Yukari, and why would Yukari want these kids in the first place? More importantly, what will the residents of Gensokyo do when they realize this kid could easily take over the realm with his new powers?

Production Background: Diamond In The Rough started as an experiment to get a fellow motion comic maker, ColonelDiamondback, to improve his writing skills: I wanted to make a series that pointed out everything wrong with his series by making a dark Watchmen-esque plot out of all of his plotholes, but the continuity and scope was so large that it turned into a feature-length video. The result is the most heart-wrenching, stomach-turning, thought-provoking Touhou videos ever made: so horrifically sad that it drove one of the test viewers into a crying fit loud enough to wake up one of his Skype friends from a nap.

TVTropes Page: Click here.

The Videos
Primer: A list of videos that led up to the production of Diamond In The Rough, then supplementary stories Post-DitR's production that compliment the story by ColonelDiamondback himself.

Episode Playlist

Reel 1
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8
Episode 9
Episode 10
Episode 11
Episode 12

Reel 2
Episode 13
Episode 14
Episode 15
Episode 16
Episode 17
Episode 18
Episode 19

Reel 3
Episode 20a
Episode 20b
Episode 20c/Epilogue

Leave your reviews of the whole movie here.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:30:47 AM by Spaztique »
Making Touhou music and actually-pretty-decent Walfas animations since 2011!

Kaze_Senshi

• Ehhhhh...
  • Pale Apple
    • My youtube channel
Lulz that Danmaku Scenes, I liked it. Now I subscribed in your channel and I am waiting to see the first episode.

One noob question, who is Brolli? One character from TH13 (I didn't played this one yet)?

Wee Waffle
My youtube channel with my creations: https://www.youtube.com/user/KazeSenshi2929
( ゆっくりしていってね)>

Apparition

• Whoa ho ho!
I'm definitely looking forward to this. I caught the preview during the last stream. Keep up with the awesome videos!  8)
Normal 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD

Spaztique

Lulz that Danmaku Scenes, I liked it. Now I subscribed in your channel and I am waiting to see the first episode.

One noob question, who is Brolli? One character from TH13 (I didn't played this one yet)?

Wee Waffle

Check the production background and primer. Basically, Colonel Brolli Diamondback was originally a Marty Stu (or Gappy Stu as my doujin group calls them due to the overabundance of Marty Stus gapped into Gensokyo via Yukari in bad fanfics) by ColonelDiamondback, and I thought it would be neat to take the typical Marty Stu/Gappy Stu plot threads and weave them into one horrendous, soul-destroying tragedy using the guy's own continuity. In Diamond In The Rough, the Brolli character is a bratty, confused high school kid who gets gapped into Gensokyo, and he supposedly possesses a higher self-awareness than most Gappy Stus.

Edit: So, why is he Colonel Brolli Diamondback? Outside of the story, ColonelDiamondback made a character Colonel Raphael Diamondback who was actually a balanced character, but then he killed him off and replaced him with the Gappy Stu author avatar, but he kept the Colonel title. In the story, he gets a beret with the words "Colonel Diamondback" embedded inside...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:32:31 AM by Spaztique »

Spaztique

The tragedy begins! Diamond In The Rough - Episode 1 is up!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 01:15:55 PM by Spaztique »

crystalgreatsword

• Spin, Aya, spin!
I was at the screening last night, so I'm really excited for this.

I'm glad I got to see it before school, it was amazing on so many levels. The last movie to make such an impact on me was Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. Kind of makes up for being unable to 1cc UFO before school started.

Keep up the amazing work, Spaz!
Touhou Normal 1cc's: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD
Touhou Hard Progress - EoSD: Stage 6, PCB: Stage 4, IN: Stage 4, MoF: Stage 4, SA: Stage 3, UFO: Stage 2, TD: Stage 4
Touhou Lunatic Progress - Haha, funny.

"I NEED MORE PRACTICE!!!" - Me at 2 in the morning

Spaztique

As the post title change says, there will be another preview screening this weekend on August 25 at 11:00 P.M. Central with a primer at 10:30. I will be narrating the parts I haven't done, but there's enough there to sufficiently feel like you've been punched in the soul when it's all over.

Spaztique

Re: [Animation/MOVIE] Diamond In The Rough
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 06:25:07 AM »
Episode 2 is here! The darkness (in a literal sense) begins!

Spaztique

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 10:46:36 AM »
Episode 3 is up, and there'll be a preview screening tonight (Wednesday, September 5th) at 7:00 P.M. Central (-6:00 GMT). Head over to my uStream to witness the tragedy!

NEW SCENES FOR THIS SCREENING:
-New Epilogue scenes! This time, we get to see the fates of
Spoiler:
Tenshi, Sanae, the Scarlet Devil Mansion team, and the Myouren Temple
-A few new frames for the climax.
-A better-paced summary section for the break between part 1 and 2.

Spaztique

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 08:23:02 AM »
Better late than never: Episode 4 is up!

Also, no screening this week: going to work significantly on new scenes this Saturday instead.

Spaztique

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 12:00:48 PM »
After the rather slow Episode 4, Episode 5 kicks up the pace with thanks to Alice, and we get to see Brolli get his first taste of Marty Stu Mode!

Also, there'll be a preview screening this Saturday, and I want to get a consensus on the forum for what time I should broadcast if you've yet to see it.

Spaztique

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 03:37:41 AM »
In Episode 6, Brolli gets a taste of power and what could potentially happen if he overuses his powers...

Spaztique

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 10:15:21 PM »
The trope of the day is Schedule Slip! Kids, can you say Schedule Slip? Very good!

The other trope of the day is Rescued From Development Hell! Diamond In The Rough is back with Episode 7 and Episode 8! Plus, if you haven't seen the full movie yet, there'll be a screening on January 19 at 5:00 PM Central on my Ustream! If you're new to this monster of a film, strap yourselves in and get ready for the grandest, largest, more explosive adventure in Gensokyo ever devised!

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 08:00:35 PM »
This is really neat. When is the next screening? From all the buzz I hear about it, and the fact that there's a TvTropes page for it, it's worth checking out.

Spaztique

Re: [Animation/MOVIE] Diamond In The Rough *FINISHED!*
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 10:31:25 AM »
Quite the revive, but after dealing with all sorts of stuff online and offline, DitR is finally finished. To those seeing this for the first time, I hope you enjoy it.