Author Topic: Is it worth it...?  (Read 3796 times)

LoveSign

Is it worth it...?
« on: July 28, 2009, 06:19:08 PM »
So, I've recently bought Tales of Rebirth for the PS2, getting modchip installed friday. Awesome, awesome multiplayer game with a complex battle system, rather decent plot considering most 'Tales of' games focus more on the ZOMG gameplay...

Considering I'm going to be getting this and the Tales of Destiny PS2 Remake (with only Rebirth having a Translation FAQ), on a scale of 1 to fail, how sad would it be to learn a language just for the videogames? Granted, it would be useful for other stuff, like being actually able to read the Japanese in the Touhou games, but still... has anyone else here ever been tempted or actually gone out of the way to learn Japanese just so they could really enjoy playing the games? The only foreign game I've beaten so far is Mother 3 which was easy without a guide simply because it used pictures to convey so much of the plot and information. Even without knowing Japanese I'm sure I'll love the crazy battles, but with a more complicated game I'm worried I'll miss out on the finer points and enjoy it less if I don't speak the language... OPINIONS PLZKTHX!!1one

Oh, and paralysis afflicted Annie is lol. D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=589TV0SWI4M

Drake

Re: Is it worth it...?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 07:48:11 PM »
Not worth it imo; learning basics are pretty much useless for just games considering the sometimes really weird dialogue. You could anyways, it would just take a long time.

BUT THE GAMES FUCKING ARE HIGH FIVE RIGHT NOW BRO

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Sana

• Good gravy!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 08:01:35 PM »
Not worth it imo; learning basics are pretty much useless for just games considering the sometimes really weird dialogue. You could anyways, it would just take a long time.

BUT THE GAMES FUCKING ARE HIGH FIVE RIGHT NOW BRO
Basically this. A lot of games have really impolite/strange dialogue. I do find however, that games are sometimes good for learning new words.

Btw, you will definitely enjoy the battles, I bought a Japanese PS2 just for Rebirth....but don't make the same mistake as me and not look at the manual before playing, even though it's in Japanese. I played through the entire game not knowing Ougis and smash points existed. : S

LoveSign

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 08:11:12 PM »
Yeah, I'm buying the Tales games for the battle systems (even though I've yet to get any local friends into any Tales multiplayer) and I definitely did my homework for Rebirth - there's actually a battle mechanics guide on GameFAQS with a bunch of Youtube tutorial links that was ZOMFG helpful and pretty much covers everything in the manual from how to get grade, cooking, item creation, Hiougi execution, to RG effects. <3

Drake

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 08:14:18 PM »
Yeah Lanyn's just great. You could get me to message her on the Tales forums with questions if you're ever stuck.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 08:28:28 PM »
If you do it just for that I don't think the effort is worth it, and you won't keep the motivation to do it, probably. However, learning a new language is always positive and can be fun.

I want to learn Japanese for a multitude of reasons but I can't find a place to learn it in my area. And I suck at doing it myself online.

Tales games are awesome!