Author Topic: La Soeur de Barrage  (Read 8699 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
La Soeur de Barrage
« on: June 27, 2009, 12:48:56 PM »
It's a mouse-controlled shmup, downloadable from here.

It's been out for a while now, so I'm guessing I'm not the only person around here who's tried this. Can anyone tell me what the menu options are?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

SONIC BHOCOLATE STRIKER

• Doing >9000 Barrel Rolls
Re: La Soeur de Barrage
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 01:57:25 PM »
Played it, haven't beaten it. I haven't beaten any shoot-em-ups now that I think about it...

:(

Actually, no, I beat Samidare, but then my save file became corrupt. eh.

La Soeur de Barrage is a lot of fun, and I highly recommend it, but I also could use a translation of the menu.
I gotta have something for my sig, so...

Tengukami

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 08:35:22 PM »
Played it, very fun. Got to Shimako before I quit.

Anyway, options

>Start

The next screen is difficulty select. Top is normal stage play, the second option is practice mode. You might have noticed that, since they give you a *lot* of lives.

>Options

*Adjust graphics
*Music Room
*Ranking

>Ranking (high score)

Shimako's second lifebar's twirly lasers trip me up, especially the faster second part :(

Thanks for that. I haven't gotten really far in the game, to be honest. It is a lot of fun but pretty hard. Maybe because of the mouse control. Still, using my wireless optical mouse on a nice, wide mousepad does get me better results than having the mouse on my knee.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 12:26:51 AM »
never heard of it, tried it. But had to stop at a certain point.. I felt it was ok. Would rather play touhou still.

The graphic settings didn't seem to do anything for me, is there any way to play fullscreen? the small window is really annoying because if I move the mouse more than I need to and go off screen (but I intended to hug the edge of the screen), I actually have to move the mouse in excess to move at all back (to make up for how much I moved it in excess before).. I hope that makes sense, kinda bothers me sometimes. Plus it would be easier to move in smaller adjustments without lowering the mouse speed (which is bad for for me since my brain is completely used to cursors moving at a certain speed in regards to the mouse).

Anyway I got to some boss at the bottom of a spiral staircase with flowers in the background before I had to quit (I don't know their name, they all seem to be named rosa-something as far as I know).

It was interesting once the game got harder how the challenge is different than touhou. I find the strategy often revolved around being able to recognize the attack patterns more than moving properly.. I mean one attack I completely sucked at was where there were squiggly dna-shaped bullet patterns (the 2nd one, the first was easy), and you had to wait for a safe second to zip in and outside the helix thingie. I had to train my eyes to look at it a certain way before I was able to succeed in doing it despite being able to see the pattern as a whole no matter how I looked at it. Hopefully I'm not the only one that makes sense to >=P.

I had a very hard time with the attack that starts off with moons raining down on you (which wasn't bad), but 2 parts after, where knives come from both sides and intercept thru the middle, and you have to zip above them between waves.. My weakness is hand motor coordination. So I screw up badly on sudden, fast, yet accurate hand movements >=( (the flower maze one nailed me bad too, even though I really take my time with it, I suck lol).

Tengukami

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 01:56:50 AM »
never heard of it, tried it. But had to stop at a certain point.. I felt it was ok. Would rather play touhou still.

The graphic settings didn't seem to do anything for me, is there any way to play fullscreen?

The copy I had came with soeur.exe and soeur_win.exe - you click the first one for fullscreen.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 02:13:19 AM »

The graphic settings didn't seem to do anything for me, is there any way to play fullscreen?

The copy I had came with soeur.exe and soeur_win.exe - you click the first one for fullscreen.
thought I did.. but okies

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 03:14:46 AM »
Anyway I got to some boss at the bottom of a spiral staircase with flowers in the background before I had to quit (I don't know their name, they all seem to be named rosa-something as far as I know).

They're named after the three roses in Maria-sama ga miteru. First one is Rosa Foetida (Yoshino and Rei), the other two are Rosa Gigantea(Shimako and Noriko) and Rosa Chinesis (Sachiko, your ONEE-SAMA).

wait. so rosa chinesis is the last boss already?

yeah, apparently she is, beat the game now. I enjoy the final boss, but the rest is kinda meh imo.

Was kinda funny beating her finally, at the end when the black-robed demon/grimreaper looking thing comes out I'm like "OH MAN ANOTHER BOSS!? when's the next level?!".But it was the end

more edit:
Now I'm in the mood to try other japanese shmups.. Any suggestions? I tried to try some game called eXceed..but..well.. it's downloading at 2k/s.. so that plan is screwed.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 07:43:41 AM by Ghaleon »

Herasy

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 12:16:55 PM »
Now I'm in the mood to try other japanese shmups.. Any suggestions? I tried to try some game called eXceed..but..well.. it's downloading at 2k/s.. so that plan is screwed.

I would recommend Hellsinker, somewhat complex shmup but the style is very interesting and the music is amazing (Especially the boss music).

Heres a video of the first level:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNHzMzK9GsA

PM me if you want some info on how to play this game, I know I had to look some up.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 11:31:23 PM »

I would recommend Hellsinker, somewhat complex shmup but the style is very interesting and the music is amazing (Especially the boss music).

Heres a video of the first level:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNHzMzK9GsA

PM me if you want some info on how to play this game, I know I had to look some up.
Wow nice, I'm definately gonna try it.. *drools at the menu screen and all the graphs/meters*.. I love games with lots of variables.. as you can probably tell based on my armored core/tank game thingie mentioned in another thread >=P.

As a bonus, the bullets aren't painful to look at.. One of my beefs with eXceed so far, the flashing red bullets are kinda obnoxious looking. I don't mind bad graphics or whatever.. but they are a different kind of bad...Like a headache inducing bad or something...just bad... Seems like alot of bullet hell games have bullets that pulse these annoying colors that just make me wanna scream.

One thing that didn't look as appealing to me regarding hellsinker though is it appears to place more emphasis on shooting than dodging, which imo makes touhou so great...More dodge, less shoot.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 12:38:07 AM »
This game makes me want to hurt small children. And larger children. And grown men. And indeed anything nearby that breathes.

Half the cards are utter gimmicks that are less about dodging and more about utter memorisation. Some ask for precision that's pretty much impossible with a mouse (move halfway across the screen diagonally - 45 degrees PRECISELY - in literally a second? No thanks) and others are guaranteed to kill you on your first try if you don't know EXACTLY what's about to happen.

:|

Herasy

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 08:23:58 AM »
One thing that didn't look as appealing to me regarding hellsinker though is it appears to place more emphasis on shooting than dodging, which imo makes touhou so great...More dodge, less shoot.
This was more noticeable to me on the 2nd boss, front stage. I can never kill that one consistently, only managed to do it 3 or 4 times.

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 01:39:21 AM »
Oh my, I love how japanese use english/french to make non-sense names for their games.

I shall try it now.
thx for the translations.

btw, are there good/bad endings?

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 01:48:38 AM »
Oh my, I love how japanese use english/french to make non-sense names for their games.

I shall try it now.
thx for the translations.

btw, are there good/bad endings?

I don't think so. I just 1cc'd it on the game mode that only gives you 4 lives and the only diff I got was the cool 6995 (doh so close) score at the end >=P

Is this the demo btw? seems awfully short.. though the end seems quite climatic (even though I can't read a word).

update: tried again. 1cc'd it with 12 lives left over, got 14150ish score at the end.. still no special ending. So I really doubt it >=p
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 02:44:44 AM by Ghaleon »

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 08:20:52 PM »
Is the final boss that girl in a black outfit?

I haven't beaten it yet, but it seems quite easy.

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 08:55:12 PM »
I played both versions of this game.
The first version, the one with one stage and a ton of boss fights got me bored very fast. The second is much more interesting, but I could never beat it. Since the final boss has very uninteresting attack patterns that involve you being crazy for bullet hells, I didn't feel like trying again.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 03:47:08 AM »
Is the final boss that girl in a black outfit?

I haven't beaten it yet, but it seems quite easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm6ogVPS8Og That's part 1 of the final boss fight. there's a link to part 2.. But I believe that's the boss yes. It should be mentioned though that you fight her, then an evil doppelganger angel of yourself, then both at the same time, then just her again, with no ordinary enemies in between.

I played both versions of this game.
The first version, the one with one stage and a ton of boss fights got me bored very fast. The second is much more interesting, but I could never beat it. Since the final boss has very uninteresting attack patterns that involve you being crazy for bullet hells, I didn't feel like trying again.

Bosses only sounds kinda cool imo... My beef with the game is that the whole game is kinda ho-hum EXCEPT for the last boss imo.

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 01:10:34 PM »
that stone car in the church, when you see it, you shit bricks.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 12:48:27 AM »
that stone car in the church, when you see it, you shit bricks.

lol seriously. wtf were they thinking sticking that in the game >=p.