Author Topic: 東方怪綺談 ~ Mystic Square  (Read 88888 times)

Zil

Re: 東方怪綺談 ~ Mystic Square
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 05:57:35 PM »
Extra - Yuka
Zil - 107,286,570 - C - Screenshot

Just ignore the Marisa and Mima scores.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 06:10:54 AM »
This suddenly happened.

Extra - Marisa
Donut - 97,167,330 - C - Screenshot
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2012, 04:38:21 AM »
Update checkpoint.
Let's fight.

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 03:35:23 AM »
This game needs more scoring competition. Seriously, it's one of the easiest games in the series to score in. Not much other than playing for survival and collecting point items.

Normal - Mima
Karisa - 102,085,210 - C - Replay

Also:
I noticed my score being 20 million (about) above the top score for Normal Reimu, so I just had to take the top spot.
Good idea.

Normal - Reimu
Karisa - 83,375,970 - C - Screenshot

Edit 2012-7-29:
Hard - Reimu
Karisa - 109,815,780 - C - Screenshot

Hard, Mima
Karisa - 127,096,970 - C - Replay

By the way, a few scores don't seem to be in the first post, including Heartbeam's two scores here.

Edit 2012-8-24:
Normal - Mima
Karisa - 105,533,890 - C - Replay

Edit 2012-9-3:
You know, I think I'll just post my Lunatic run here anyway for the record, even if it is 6% slowdown.
Lunatic - Mima
Karisa - 134,437,450 - C - Replay
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:04:54 AM by Karisa »

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 02:22:40 PM »
Normal - Mima
Chirpy13 -85,390,470 - C - Screenshot
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 05:56:14 AM by Chirpy McGareggan »

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2012, 10:37:41 AM »
normal - mima
s - 105,051,900 - clear - Screenshot1 Screenshot2 Screenshot3

normal - mima
s - 106,606,840 - clear - Screenshot1 Screenshot2 Screenshot3

hard - mima
s - 124,955,130 - clear - Screenshot1 Screenshot2 Screenshot3
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 10:22:34 PM by touhoumaniac »

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2012, 05:58:04 AM »
Forgot to add in the link to the screenshot when I copied my score form the tournament week last time.  Edited it into my last post for the next update.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2012, 11:50:42 PM »
Hooray I am the top player in the whole WTC for this shot and difficulty!

Hard - Yuka
Donut - 82,277,390 - C - Screenshot
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 02:54:42 AM »
Easy - Mima
Karisa - 71,532,550 - C - Replay Screenshot
(no death, no bomb)

Survival run. It may have been pretty close to Heartbeam's score if I'd tried to graze Shinki's second phase, but I wasn't about to risk losing my first potential full-game perfect.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:12:08 AM by Karisa »

Zil

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2012, 06:53:25 AM »
Normal - Marisa
Zil - 85,564,240 - C - Screenshot

May as well submit it. Played with my broken keyboard. Still it was kinda decent. I'll probably score in MS seriously someday.

Normal - Reimu
Zil - 88,362,450 - C - Screenshot

Replaced the screenshot for the Marisa score, since I don't think the other actually shows the shot type. I've also got that 98mil Mima score there, but I don't think I'll submit that. I can't remember when I did it, and the scoreboard has bunch of Normal Mima scores anyway. I'll see if I can improve it first.

Normal - Yuuka
Zil - 84,122,690 - C - Screenshot

Normal - Mima
Zil - 105,148,080 - C - Screenshot

I took it easy. Skipped the supergrazing on Luise and Yuki. I hoped to no-miss the game but my lack of an actual left arrow key took its toll on me. I don't think I've got the emulator configured properly either; it's in PoDD mode. Bah, excuses. It's my first "letter score," in any event.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:12:29 AM by Zil »

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2012, 12:19:32 PM »
MS Normal scoring with various characters? Challenge accepted. Also I think I'll copy your idea of uploading videos for decent PC-98 scores but making them unlisted if I've scored higher with a different character.

Normal - Marisa
Karisa - 98,385,740 - C - Replay

OK, I'm not too good with Marisa's hitbox yet, so there were various accidental deaths and safety bombs; also I got unlucky with the Shinki supergraze... wait how did I score only 7 million below my Mima score? It would have even been a letter score if I hadn't made that mistake at the end of the Mai battle. Weird, I expected around the low 90s...

Normal - Reimu
Karisa - 91,556,350 - C - Screen1 Screen2 Screen3

A bunch of deaths to Shinki and Yumeko (this game's Reimu is too slow), but still submitting to retake the lead.

Reimu has interesting potential, despite the slow speed, because the homing shots clear enemies much more easily allowing you to concentrate on collecting point items. It's especially useful in stage 1 and some parts of stage 4, and somewhat in the second half of stage 5 (possibly more so on higher difficulties). She's at a clear disadvantage in stage 3 though, with all the places where enemies come from static locations at opposite sides of the screen.

@Zil: Don't you have a letter score already in the scoreboard (Extra Yuka)? Or do you mean it's your first on Normal?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:02:37 AM by Karisa »

Zil

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2012, 09:49:12 PM »
Oh yeah. I guess that Yuuka thing was the first time. It was so long ago, I forgot all about it. Anyway, I've got my controller back now amd can play a bit better, so...

Normal - Reimu
Zil - 94,015,930 - C - Screen1 Screen2

Six deaths here as well. I was really hoping to reach 100 million with Reimu. I'm sure I could with some more tries. I'm also suddenly able to record this game again, so I think I might do a Mima run and record it. Hoping for 110mil, but I have no idea how hard that would be.

By the way, I've never reached 500 point items. I think I'm doing something wrong. Stage 6 maybe.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:51:14 PM by Zil »

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2012, 12:53:22 AM »
Since I don't have a video to watch, I can't really know exactly where you're missing point items, but you can try going by the timing of your extends.
100 - near the dream item in stage 2
200 - second half of stage 3
300 - early/mid-second half of stage 4
400 - first half of stage 5
500 - Shinki (or stage portion of stage 6, which I've only reached with Mima) (edit: now also with Reimu, should be possible with any character)
Of course, it depends on your character (Mima>Marisa>Reimu>Yuka, I think), but it should still be in that general area if you're on track to reaching 500.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 01:24:43 AM by Karisa »

Zil

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2012, 05:52:08 AM »
Normal - Marisa
Zil - 98,821,610 - C - Screen1 Screen2

Just 2 short of 500. I reached it as Mima though. I was collecting the items in stage 6 in a dumb way (and bombing sometimes because I trapped myself). But yeah, those timings for the extends make sense.

Will you be doing some more scores in the near future? Competition is always fun, and we could probably beat most of the existing high scores.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2012, 11:09:09 AM »
Wait, so was your Mima 105m with or without the 500 extend? If it was without, then Normal Mima can go pretty far beyond 105m, since I normally get over 570 point items with Mima.

More scores in the near future? I was probably scoring while you were posting that. This is one of my favorite games in the series to score in, despite how simple the scoring system is, and I was planning on going through the various shot types and difficulties (like you did with PoDD) sooner or later. But this way is more fun.

And I agree. The only existing high score I'm not sure about is Heartbeam's Easy 75m (and the nicovideo Extra 204m if you're including that, then again, you've already scored higher than 部屋干し's other two Extra scores); all the others should be easily beatable.

Normal - Yuka
Karisa - 97,709,710 - C - Replay

Yuka is annoying to use. Why can't ZUN ever make a decent spre? oh wait, SanaeB. Never mind. But seriously, nearly all the spread shots in the series are pretty much the worst shot type in their respective games, whether it's MoF ReimuC, PCB SakuyaA, or what.

Normal - Reimu
Karisa - 105,736,000 - C - Replay

Not only a letter score, but higher than my Mima score, with Reimu? Mima can definitely go far beyond B0, then.

Normal - Mima
Karisa - 109,131,890 - C - Screenshot

Two deaths to Yumeko that really shouldn't have happened (also one to Shinki luckgraze), several bombs on various other phases, overshot Louise's first phase, and some suboptimal point item collection elsewhere. I don't even feel like uploading a video of this...

Normal - Mima
Karisa - 114,452,990 - C - Replay

Well, this was much better. 582 point items collected. One death, to the stage portion of stage 5. Overshot Shinki luckgraze, so I only finished with 600 graze instead of 999, but at least I didn't die there.

Also I still haven't learned how to do the Louise supergraze consistently. Or any supergraze in this game for that matter.

How far can this game go on Normal? At least 125 million, considering that I lost ~3m from the death (point item values + power item values + .9m at end) and another ~5m from not reaching 999 graze in stage 2 and stage 6, and also missed some point items that I could have collected. Probably higher if you consider the possibility of stalling other boss phases for extra graze.

Edit: corrected estimate on how far this game can go, and various other details.

Easy - Reimu
Karisa - 65,706,090 - C - Screen1 Screen2

6 (!) deaths to Shinki luckgraze. I think it's more likely to hit you on Easy, and/or at lower rank, since the bullets get denser that way.

Easy - Marisa
Karisa - 71,604,070 - C - Screen1 Screen2

Well, I'm no longer doubting that I'll be able to match Heartbeam's Easy Mima 75m. Not sure how I've improved so much since my Easy Mima 71m last month, actually...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:54:35 PM by Karisa »

Zil

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2012, 01:52:46 AM »
Normal - Mima
Zil - 108,012,060 - C - Screenshot

Yeah, the 105m run didn't reach 500, iirc. And I still have no idea how you're getting 582. 0_0 I'll have to check your video again. Looks like you've pretty much dominated Normal mode though. I'll be happy to take second place on every difficulty, at least.

Also, I was able to record this one. I'll edit the link in after the video's uploaded. Then I think I'll give Easy a try later tonight.

And I really don't know about 部屋干し's Extra score. The other PC-98 extra stages are practically pure luck, so it didn't take much to beat his scores there. This one is a whole different deal.

Edit:

Normal - Mima
Zil - 110,060,750 - C - Replay

I ended up redoing Normal. I wanted to at least reach my goal of 110m. Yumeko was a bit of a disaster, but Shinki's luckgraze went really well.

Easy - Reimu
Zil - 68,539,680 - C - Screen1 Screen2

And here the luckgraze was terrible. I ended up just throwing bombs at it to graze without dying, sending the Dream Bonus to hell. In hindsight, I think it's better to just risk dying, or forego the graze altogether. Chicken out on the sides or something. Nevermind that, actually. Bombing is probably best. That thing is annoying. I really wish it weren't there.

I'll do an easy score for each character as well. Aiming to at least beat Heartbeam's Mima. And that reminds me, apparently this game has a score thread on shmups forum. May as well submit my scores there too, I guess.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:23:28 PM by Zil »

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2012, 07:28:10 PM »
I wonder if you'd do better on harder difficulties, since staying at DreamBonus Max has such a huge effect on score, and you're by far the better of the two of us at dodging.

I wouldn't consider LLS Extra 77m luck. It still takes skill to perfect or 1-death the bosses. 80m is probably luck though.

Shinki's luckgraze sometimes kills you halfway through, though. If you bomb halfway through each wave, you'll time it out before reaching 999. And it wouldn't work well with non-Mima characters since their bombs take off a more significant amount of dream bonus. What I wish is that it was actually aimed around you, like those fairies right after the midboss in PCB stage 5 Hard (a border there is worth like 100,000 value if you didn't know).

Easy - Yuka
Karisa - 63,698,850 - C - Screen1 Screen2

Easy - Reimu
Karisa - 65,879,650 - C - Screen1 Screen2

A bunch of deaths to the luckgraze ruined my score, again. Maybe it isn't a good idea to do it at all on Easy...

Easy - Reimu
Karisa - 68,188,090 - C - Replay

Uploaded mainly because of the extremely fast DreamBonus Max at the start. I wonder if it'd be possible before the midboss with that luck if I'd left all the power item enemies alive...

Easy - Mima
Karisa - 71,863,270 - C - Screen1 Screen2

593 point items collected; the 500 extend was actually at Yumeko's last point item. Though 2 deaths to Mai, and 1 to the stage 5 midboss, meant most of stage 5's point/power items were not collected at a good value. I was considering sacrificing my remaining lives for point items and calling it a 600 extend run, but I was close enough to my high score that I decided against it, and since I did score higher, might as well post it.

Edit: Some random calculations for stage 6 Easy.
- Dying once to the Shinki luckgraze costs around 1.3-1.6m (500,000 from not perfecting the stage, ~450,000 from the remaining life, 300,000 from 5 point items replaced by power items, ~150,000-400,000 from the point item clear bonus multiplier depending on your graze and whether you gained any point items from the death).
- Subsequent deaths cost you the same amount from the remaining lives, plus pretty much ruin your chance of reaching DreamBonus Max again.
- Bombing costs 250,000 from the no-bomb bonus, but point item value effect is negligible as long as you can still collect point items at 51,200.
- Grazing in stage 6 is worth 250,000 per 100 graze (2,497,500 for 999 graze), assuming 90 point items in the clear bonus.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 03:22:08 AM by Karisa »

Zil

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2012, 12:00:03 AM »
Easy - Marisa
Zil - 68,643,640 - C - Screen1 Screen2

Luckgraze tore me apart. It was killing me even when she didn't move sideways. Probably a bad idea on Easy, yeah.

And I think Hard and Lunatic will be more fun, at least. More emphasis on the Dream Bonus means less on the luck oriented parts. (Like the Shinki graze.)

Do you think Mima could get 600 items in a no-miss run? Maybe with a bomb somewhere, like the end of stage 5.

Oh, by the way, I think the no-miss and no-bomb bonuses for stage 6 are worth 500k, not 250. So 1 million is lost just from that by dying once.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:48:26 AM by Zil »

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2012, 04:06:06 AM »
I think no-death 600 point items (i.e. 10-life clear starting with default lives) is possible, but you may need to get really lucky with point item spawn points. My 593 would have been 587 without the deaths, and I probably did let at least 13 point items drop throughout the run.

I don't see why a bomb at the end of stage 5 would help though. You'd have to use it after killing all the enemies to avoid converting their point items into power items, and by then it's usually easy enough for Mima to collect all the remaining point items. I think the bombs in a point item run probably would be best used to counteract unlucky boss point item placement... actually, that might work for scoring in general on Easy, considering how 5 point items at 51,200 value are worth more than 4 point items at 60,000 value, especially once you factor in the clear bonus multiplier. Then again, the next few point items would also be 51,200 instead of 60,000, and you'd lose the no-bomb bonus for that stage. Hmm...

Oh, by the way, I think the no-miss and no-bomb bonuses for stage 6 are worth 500k, not 250. So 1 million is lost just from that by dying once.
On Normal, yes. On Easy, there's the .5x multiplier, which I'd incorporated into my calculations because they were specifically for Easy.

(no new score in this post because I've been busy learning how to use MoF MarisaC)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 04:13:19 AM by Karisa »

Zil

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2012, 05:00:24 AM »
Oh, for some reason I thought those weren't effected by the 0.5 multiplier. For the end of stage 5, I was thinking you could sweep from one side to the other, then bomb. Ideally towards the end of it so you don't lose too many enemies after the auto-collect. At least, that part stood out to me as the most likely place to drop lots of items. I'm also wondering if the game lets you hold 10 lives at once. And if not, I wonder what the effects of a suicide at the start of stage 1 would be. If the extra items and power make up for the the NMNB bonus. Anyway...

Easy - Mima
Zil - 75,099,340 - C - Replay (No-miss, No-Bomb)

Looks like I just barely beat Heartbeam's Easy score. The Luize supergraze put me a couple million ahead early on. I guess he didn't know about it. Then I accidentally killed Yumeko's red phase too early, which kind of evened it out. Then I went for the luckgraze in stage 6 since I figured I'd need it. Went through two of them I think, then grazed alongside the others. Also ended that too early, so I only got about 400 graze from it. (I admit I have no idea how long Yumeko or Shinki's attacks last, or how much health they have. Should've practiced them. You can probably get 999 graze in stage 5.) With a really good run I think 80mil can be reached.

Also Karisa, you should learn the Luize graze, if you haven't already. It's not very hard and is extremely rewarding. I also seem to recall being able to supergraze Yumeko's semifinal attack on Lunatic by going in circles around her, but I tried it a bit a while ago (on Easy) and it seemed too fast somehow. That one's probably too risky to bother with, in any event, unless you're really desperate. You can also get some easy graze from the stage 3 midboss (stand on top of it), though I think it's still best to kill it as quickly as possible. And then Reimu and Marisa can capture Alice's final attack from over her head, if you keep moving left and right. That's kind of risky but doable.

Well, those are the supergrazes I've found, at least.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:42:21 PM by Zil »

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2012, 06:01:37 AM »
Easy - Mima
Karisa - 77,928,820 - C - Replay Screen1 Screen2

600 extend reached!
(and with it an extra 465k points, yay)

OK, never mind what I just said in my previous post. The 600 extend feels doable consistently with enough practice (on Easy with Mima that is), except perhaps if you get really unlucky with point item spawn points.

No deaths, two panic bombs that may or may not have actually prevented a death (costing me the stage 4 and 5 no-bomb bonuses). When I noticed how far ahead I was in the point item count, I started playing more cautiously during the boss battles. I would have grazed Yumeko's second phase for a while otherwise.

Zil

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2012, 05:04:11 AM »
Hard - Reimu
Zil - 123,020,660 - C - Screenshot

Well, then. Enter Hard Mode. The difficulty jump is pretty significant. I had almost no dream bonus going into stage 6. Then just after getting it back to max... I died again. ;_;

Hard - Reimu
Zil - 127,354,080 - C - Screenshot

Still collected almost every stage 6 item at the bottom, minimum value. So that's millions lost right there.

Edit: Crap. The emulator's being a dork. I may not be able to do any more runs until it decides to fix itself.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 01:13:51 AM by Zil »

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2012, 07:45:30 AM »
Hard - Marisa
Karisa - 122,473,450 - C - Screen1 Screen2

This game's Hard is harder than I remember. Possibly because of a tendency to avoid bombing when aiming for score. Nothing special regarding my survival here (9 deaths 9 bombs), but the score seems possibly worth posting.

Also it seems you scored higher with Reimu than that old run of mine that's currently the highest Mima score. I remember when a C score on Hard was a huge accomplishment for me. Now it feels like it has to be at least C to just be a decent run with lower-scoring characters.

I'll make a random estimate right now that Hard's potential is around 160 million (if Easy's is around 80m and Normal's is around 125m). Let's see how wrong (or right?) I am.

Hard - Marisa
Karisa - 126,486,660 - C - Replay

1 death Alice (didn't feel like restarting), 1 death Yuki/Mai, 1 death Yumeko, 1 death Shinki. Notable in that I did not enter stage 6 with minimal dream bonus.

I had a run that was no-death up to the stage 5 midboss earlier, but then I somehow managed to die a total of 4 times in the remainder of the stage portion.

Hard - Reimu
Karisa - 122,708,580 - C - Screenshot

Forgot the second screenshot that I usually include, but I'm planning to improve this later anyway.

Hard - Yuka
Karisa - 113,038,430 - C - Screen1 Screen2

First clear. Still annoying shot type. Surprised I reached the 500 extend. I'll likely only try to improve this if someone else scores higher.

Hard - Reimu
Karisa - 129,269,130 - C - Replay

This was looking to be a pretty good run, despite an early death to one of Alice's streaming phases, until I died three times in a row to Devil's Recitation. Still worth a video in my opinion.

I hope you find a way to get the game running again soon, Zil. It's not as interesting when I seem to be on my own.

Easy - Yuka
Karisa - 69,373,630 - C - Screen1 Screen2

Just because... oh wait, this score is higher than my Reimu score. I'd better fix that at some point.

By the way, it seems destroying those egg-things Mai shoots actually gives you around 100,000 points per wave. So it may be worth stalling Mai for a while on Easy, since an extra several hundred thousand points isn't a trivial amount.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 01:46:55 AM by Karisa »

Zil

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2012, 06:07:39 AM »
Bleh, sorry about dying like that. The emulator started cooperating again after two days, but then I got distracted by PoFV and family stuff. (Christmas and all that.) That's all done with though so I should be back in action.

Extra - Reimu
Zil - 97,256,200 - C - Screen1 Screen2

Just submitting this in case I don't feel like redoing it later. It'll take a lot of practice to learn how to time the bullet cancels with Mima alone. Not sure if I want to go overboard with everyone else. Not that I'm really getting into Extra yet. This was just a random run to check out the translation. Gotta finish Hard and Lunatic first.

Extra - Marisa
Zil - 111,663,440 - C - Screenshot

Extra - Mima
Zil - 129,625,060 - C - Screenshot

Extra - Yuuka
Zil - 115,491,570 - C - Screenshot

Just one run each, getting better as I went. (Mima was last.) It's actually not that complicated. The stage may be the hardest part. And the safespot for the one green phase is actually pretty big and extremely easy to get into. I did it on my first try. Anyway, I'll revisit this stage later. It's very fun.

Hard - Marisa
Zil - 123,923,780 - C - Screenshot

Deaths everywhere. Only high point was "perfecting" Yumeko, and thus some good item values in stage 6.

Some random stuff I looked at:
- Marisa can apparently capture the cheeto lasers from over Shinki's head. You just have to be close enough to hit with your missiles.
- I tried to do the same with Reimu and captured it. I then tried a second time and it timed out. So I don't know what to say about that. Maybe I wasn't at full power, or maybe you need to find a way to do a bit more damage. At the very least, if you're dodging at the bottom and have to bomb, you may as well run up there for the rest of it.
- It seems the luckgraze never hits you on Hard, at least not at max rank. I used a savestate to try it numerous times and it never hit me.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:24:47 AM by Z-MasterFunk »

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2013, 06:08:20 AM »
Well, I can confirm that the luckgraze can still kill you on Hard below max rank. I just died to it once by not stopping before it was fired (still dodging the previous wave), then died to two of the next three waves even though I know I was staying still. (scored C4 overall with Mima, nothing special, but I died five times to stage 4 anyway)

Also I'll get a chance to try out capturing the cheeto lasers from the safespot with Reimu when we get to Lunatic, since I'll likely be using it with all characters, at least if I have low/no bombs since dying once during it already misses out on the point items.

Edit:
Actually, the luckgraze can kill you on Hard at max rank... unless I wasn't at max rank here? I didn't die or bomb at all in stage 6, but it's possible the death in stage 5 was close enough... I'll upload a video to show it, even though I'm planning to improve this further since there were too many deaths in this run. I should be able to finish with 6 or 7 lives, at least.

Hard - Mima
Karisa - 133,422,950 - C - Screenshot

Edit 2: Um... something went seriously wrong with the video recording. It seems to only contain the top-left quarter of what it should... I guess a high score screenshot will have to do.

Edit 3+:
Hard - Mima
Karisa - 139,782,280 - C - Screen1 Screen2

Hmm, you know how some enemies in this game (and LLS) can drop either power items, point items, nothing, or rarely a large power item? I think their RNG is partly fixed. It seems that every second enemy killed will drop an item, and that they'll never drop more point items than power items (so the first item dropped in stage 1 will always be a power item, and the enemies on the right side at the start of the stage will never drop 3 point items unless the enemies on the left dropped fewer than 2 point items). Whether or not you collect the items doesn't seem to make a difference.

As for the large power items, I'm pretty sure they (and certain LLS dream items) are dependent on total number of enemies killed, though there also seems to be some slight random variance (noticeable with the first dream item in LLS, at least). I've actually only determined this in LLS and EoSD, but it seems reasonable to conclude it also applies to MS. Not that power items in MS are very relevant.

Hard - Mima
Karisa - 141,476,240 - C - Replay - Screenshot
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 04:45:53 PM by Karisa »

Zil

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2013, 12:28:19 PM »
Yeah, the items do some alternating thing. Reimu can sometimes take advantage of that if you're lucky. In stage 5 it can happen that your homing shots make it so that you keep killing the enemies on the far side just after you kill the ones directly above you, so you can easily collect every item while nothing falls on the other side. On the other hand, you can get unlucky and all of the items fall on the wrong side. I agree about the large power items as well. I find that, when using Reimu, I'm much more likely to get the second one in stage 1.

Hard - Mima
Zil - 127,578,990 - C - Screenshot

The emulator decided to destroy me against Yumeko, so I went into stage 6 with the dream gauge completely empty. Then I died to the luckgraze, but there's no way I was at max rank. I also bombed in stages 3 and 4. So it was terrible really. Redoing it later for sure.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2013, 12:24:53 PM »
Let's get this started again, shall we?

Actually I've been having trouble clearing Lunatic with non-Mima characters. This score should be easily beatable with a 1cc, but it's still higher than what's already in the table, so I'm posting it anyway.

Lunatic - Reimu
Karisa - 110,819,500 - 6 - Screenshot

Also I discovered today that bombs also prevent dream item drops, not just point items. So if you think you'll need to bomb the last few enemies in stage 4, you may want to plan a bomb early so it runs out before it can destroy the dream item enemies, since having max dream bonus going into stage 5 has a huge effect on the score.

Lunatic - Reimu
Karisa - 112,074,400 - 6 - Screenshot
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 06:42:18 AM by Karisa »

Zil

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2013, 01:43:29 PM »
Lunatic - Reimu
Zil - 112,998,510 - ALL - Screenshot

It was awful. No deaths up to Mai's final attack, but that killed me twice. The second because I over estimated my invincibility. Then stage 5 killed me four or five times. By some miracle I perfected Yumeko. Lost all of my remaining lives but one to Shiki's luckgraze phase (though not to the luckgraze itself), then finished the rest of the fight without dying. So I survived everything dangerous with chain-deaths to the easy parts, basically.

I also noticed that the cone of bullets in Yumeko's semifinal phase is much narrower than it was on lower difficulties, and it can indeed be supergrazed. So I wasn't imagining things. (Not that I supergrazed it in this run, mind you.)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:04:23 PM by Z-MasterFunk »

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2013, 02:11:09 PM »
By some miracle I perfected Yumeko.
A perfect Lunatic Yumeko, with a non-Mima character, in a full run (i.e. without a savestate right before her)? Even at low rank, I think that deserves a video. I still end up having to bomb her 3-way phases pretty much every time I change streaming direction with slower characters. Which of course means I end up with terrible stage 6 item value; I think I only gained 6m from the stage portion in that score I submitted.

And Mai's final attack tends to kill me a lot too, with that combination of the small interval for finishing her off with a 1.5-2m bonus and the exploding egg things she shoots. I don't think I've no-deathed that far on Lunatic yet though. Any tips on dealing with the stage 4 enemies that shoot rings of dense bullets, in the places near the end of the stage where they spawn too frequently to destroy easily?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:12:55 PM by Karisa »

Zil

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2013, 07:25:31 PM »
I deleted the recording right after, unfortunately. It may happen again though, if I'm unlucky enough to be out of bombs before the fight.

About the stage 4 enemies, I'm not entirely sure which ones you're talking about. The hardest part of that stage, to me, is where three columns of enemies drop down, some stopping, shooting waves of kunai, while others just rush straight down, alternating between the middle and edges, and the last wave has them come from underneath you. That part is really hard with Reimu since she can't really kill the enemies quickly enough. Ideally what I'd do (with Mima, for instance) is stand midway up the screen, under the column that stops to shoot kunai, and stream down slowly (to avoid the pellets coming from the side enemies) while dodging the kunai from above. With Reimu what I did was basically use a bunch of bombs. Since I'd normally have perfected (or nearly perfected) up to that point, I could even part with two or three bombs there and still survive.

If you meant the ones that shoot red rings (which I doubt), then for that I go pretty high up the screen, directly under where the left enemies would stop to shoot. From there I just stream down, while inching a bit to the right. It's all aimed of course so I doubt that's what you where talking about. A cleverly timed bomb may indeed be a good idea if it's possible, and you don't think you can recover the dream bonus from Mai's items. Edit: Somehow this sentence ended up in the wrong paragraph.

Then the last part, where they drop the dream items, I find that standing in the middle, then moving to the side makes it easier. They kind of aim the walls at you, so if you move over you can go through one at a time. It's very hard to get the dream items though. A cleverly timed bomb may indeed be a good idea if it's possible, if you don't think you can recover the dream bonus from Mai's items.

Unrelated, I actually had a dream about this game last night. I was somehow auto-collecting the stage 6 items at full value. Four hours of Gunbird 2 followed by two hours of MS, and that's what I ended up dreaming about.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:12:30 AM by Z-MasterFunk »